2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (Carey, AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, bcalvanese, booms, 6 invisible), 1,871 guests, and 262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sebs #3139617 07/21/21 10:21 PM
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Sebs
I was also thinking the specs are confusing and I don't even understand them. I was just wondering if there was a good all around speaker one for piano sounds and one for music/movies but sounds like all monitors have their ups and down and for my use it won't really matter. I think the Focal Shape series are the only ones out there that look nice, I know that's just my opinion and taste, but I'm not sure I want to spend triple for a cosmetic look I prefer.

The Shapes don’t cost more for how they look; they are extremely well engineered and built with the best components

Sebs #3139619 07/21/21 10:31 PM
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Wow, that's a long thread to listen to!!!
Well, I use a pair of KRK Rokit5 G4 monitors, and I'm looking to get speaker stands if that makes a difference at all to my current desktop setup. But it has nice bass extension down to 43 HZ, if I'm not mistaken. Though KRK doesn't list where the bass starts rolling off, without hearing the bigger woofered siblings and let alone other monitors, I think the bass is very good. At least the bass drum in an orchestra can go very low, as well as the low notes of a piano. That's all I'm hoping for. smile
I've heard the Yamaha HS5, but the bass doesn't go low enough compared with the KRK. Plus, it's compact enough on my desk. So I'm looking to live with it for a long time!
If the OP is looking for a budget friendly plus a pair of speakers that can cover all uses, including piano, based on my experiences, the KRK Rokit5 G4 is a nice option to consider.
Good luck!

Sebs #3139624 07/21/21 11:20 PM
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
The point where bass rolloff is -3dB certainly is higher than 43Hz on the Rokit 5's. KRK does not publish the frequency where -3dB rolloff is observed, however.

Reading Piano World with Javascript turned off (no logins, no ads, fast response times). I will receive PMs.
Sebs #3139625 07/21/21 11:29 PM
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
I think the difficulty Sebs is having is trying to select monitors without hearing them being used in the desired applications. If close enough to a Guitar Center or Sam Ash or similar store, a trip in and having them hook up a few monitors under consideration to a stage piano would be quite illuminating.

Reading Piano World with Javascript turned off (no logins, no ads, fast response times). I will receive PMs.
Originally Posted by Sweelinck
I think the difficulty Sebs is having is trying to select monitors without hearing them being used in the desired applications. If close enough to a Guitar Center or Sam Ash or similar store, a trip in and having them hook up a few monitors under consideration to a stage piano would be quite illuminating.

I would completely agree with this if it's possible. It's a good start even if it's just to discover your "boundaries" for what you're looking for.

Bottom line on online discussions re: speaker variables -
1. How they will be used matters: near-field use has different needs from room-filling use; different output power requirements and frequency response, but, bottom line, a speaker is still a speaker, so if you can live with the compromises, a single speaker pair can work in almost any situation. But it won't ever be the ideal. Buy the speakers that will respond the way you want for the majority of use time, and live with the compromises for all the remaining times...unless you can afford to buy separate speaker pairs for each specialization...
2. The size, shape and acoustic responsiveness of the 3-dimensional space in which the speakers will be heard has an enormous influence on the sound you hear - so even listening in a mega music store setting won't be as accurate as what you're going to hear in your own space.
3. Nobody else can answer how it will sound to you without being in the same space you will be hearing it
4. Don't forget the variable that is seldom mentioned but still matters a lot in these discussions: Only you know how well your hearing acuity allows you to hear what you're hoping to hear, but also don't assume someone else hears better than you.

It will always come down to whether it sounds good enough to you.

Jerry

Jerry J

NV-10 (March, 2021)
Korg X-3, TR-61

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
The point where bass rolloff is -3dB certainly is higher than 43Hz on the Rokit 5's. KRK does not publish the frequency where -3dB rolloff is observed, however.

Yes, I agree. I guess if I heard some bigger monitors, or just those of different brands, I might be writing differently now. smile

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D

Yes! Hearing something in person will make much more sense. Take the music you listen to always and do your sampling! I brought my laptop along and asked them to hook up monitors to it. smile

S
Sebs Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by emenelton
I was also thinking the specs are confusing and I don't even understand them. I was just wondering if there was a good all around speaker one for piano sounds and one for music/movies but sounds like all monitors have their ups and down and for my use it won't really matter. I think the Focal Shape series are the only ones out there that look nice, I know that's just my opinion and taste, but I'm not sure I want to spend triple for a cosmetic look I prefer.

The Shapes don’t cost more for how they look; they are extremely well engineered and built with the best components

Sorry for the confusion I did not mean for it to sound that way. I meant they are the only ones that I love how they look, they are so nice looking, and for my use I would be fine with anything as I'm no pro. Although you don't have to be pro to appreciate sounds and equipment. Not sure I need the high end quality of a shape series it would almost feel like Im buying them for the look but then who knows maybe Id also love the sound way more.

Originally Posted by David Lai

Yes! Hearing something in person will make much more sense. Take the music you listen to always and do your sampling! I brought my laptop along and asked them to hook up monitors to it. smile

I will take a trip to guitar center and see what they have on display. I was assuming they would only have ones like HS series, and KRK, JBL, etc. I suppose I can just call them and find out whats on the floor that I can sample.

I am also thinking about shopping for proper monitors, because always playing with headphones is annoying. Furthermore I don't like to unplug everytime my headphones in order to activate the internal speakers. This picture is very similiar to my home setup in terms of piano-size and room-space, except there are no monitors and no TV.
Originally Posted by camperbc
I went with the Presonus Eris E5 XT studio monitors for my PX-870, and I couldn't be any happier with the results. They sound incredibly realistic when played in tandem with the piano's onboard speakers, and yes, the 5.25" woofers and large front ports do indeed provide ample bass so that a subwoofer is simply not required. I highly recommend these outstanding monitors.

[Linked Image]

There are two points I want to avoid:
1) Having the monitor too far away from the piano, I want the sound-source to be as close to the piano as possible.
2) Having big monitors like these in the picture. They are almost 30cm deep with the wall mount and would not look nice if placed very closely over the keybed.

Everytime I search online, I end up with Genelec. I already own a pair of old 6010 as computer speakers and for this usecase they are gorgeous. I am thinking about a pair of 8020 or 8030 as they are fairly compact built, but also very expensive. Is there another alternative to the Genelecs, having a good monitor with a small footprint?

Self teaching Adult Beginner without method | Kawai CN29, Senn HD560s, Casio CT-S1
S
Sebs Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Wie Waldi
Everytime I search online, I end up with Genelec. I already own a pair of old 6010 as computer speakers and for this usecase they are gorgeous. I am thinking about a pair of 8020 or 8030 as they are fairly compact built, but also very expensive. Is there another alternative to the Genelecs, having a good monitor with a small footprint?

I know what you mean. I have now narrowed my search down to Focal Shape 50 or Adam Audio A5X. There are so many options it's hard to decide! hahah

Sebs #3139727 07/22/21 12:12 PM
W
W
I’ve been tempted by these for a while now
https://m.thomann.de/gb/ik_multimedia_iloud_mtm.htm

Originally Posted by Wayne2467
Pricewise those seem to be placed between 8010 and 8020. And kind of similar to the Genelec design. Maybe a 8020 contenter. Thanks for the tip.

Self teaching Adult Beginner without method | Kawai CN29, Senn HD560s, Casio CT-S1
Sebs #3139746 07/22/21 01:28 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
@Wayne2467: Regarding that Iloud speaker ...

It has a 3-1/2" driver. That's not a small speaker! It's a headphone driver ... in a box.

Keep looking.

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D

As I recall, the iLouds are 3-inch woofers, so probably wouldn't be nice when playing back pianos. But I may be wrong... I'm just looking at what they seem like on paper. smile

Sebs #3139757 07/22/21 01:57 PM
Saying 3-inch woofer is like saying gigantic miniature.
Or happy depression.
Or garlic donuts.

It's a contradiction.

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S

As I recall, the iLouds are 3-inch woofers, so probably wouldn't be nice when playing back pianos. But I may be wrong... I'm just looking at what they seem like on paper. smile

Bass rolloff is quite steep below 60Hz:

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/iloudmm/index.php?p=specs

It is impressive how low they do go, but bass extension is not sufficient for them to be ideal piano monitors.

Sebs #3139766 07/22/21 02:30 PM
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by emenelton

Sorry for the confusion I did not mean for it to sound that way. I meant they are the only ones that I love how they look, they are so nice looking, and for my use I would be fine with anything as I'm no pro. Although you don't have to be pro to appreciate sounds and equipment. Not sure I need the high end quality of a shape series it would almost feel like Im buying them for the look but then who knows maybe Id also love the sound way more.

I will take a trip to guitar center and see what they have on display. I was assuming they would only have ones like HS series, and KRK, JBL, etc. I suppose I can just call them and find out whats on the floor that I can sample.

Be sure to hook some up to a piano. They usually have a dozen or more monitors to try. They won't have some that you would like to audition.

Sebs #3139769 07/22/21 02:52 PM
K
K
Please scroll to 12:37 in this video:

Next, please dont focus on bass response and small drivers.

Yeah, it is hard to believe. BTW, I use the Tozzi One form Markaudio. they are as high as a the iLouds, but square, about 3 coca cola cans, 3 inch full range drivers. Sounds fantastic. Much better than iLouds (I tried both).

Sebs #3139811 07/22/21 05:58 PM
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
I personally would not want nearfield monitors for watching movies (unless I were watching at close range on a computer screen, which is not how I watch movies). I use vintage original Advent speakers for TV monitors for watching movies and JBL LSR305's for nearfield piano monitors. You can get more bang for the buck even after buying two pairs of speakers if you don't try to superimpose both nearfield and midfield requirements on the same speakers.

S
Sebs Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
I personally would not want nearfield monitors for watching movies (unless I were watching at close range on a computer screen, which is not how I watch movies). I use vintage original Advent speakers for TV monitors for watching movies and JBL LSR305's for nearfield piano monitors. You can get more bang for the buck even after buying two pairs of speakers if you don't try to superimpose both nearfield and midfield requirements on the same speakers.

That's exactly how I will use them when watching a moving on my computer, I'm not planning to use them in the living room as home theatre more so just for my piano but then music/movies too as I'm not going to set up 2 sets of speakers on my desk.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission