2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (AlkansBookcase, 36251, benkeys, Charles Cohen, 20/20 Vision, bcalvanese, booms, Bruce Sato, Carey, 9 invisible), 1,922 guests, and 266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
OP Offline
B
I have a Yamaha P-45 that's worked flawlessly for the past four years, but recently it's starting going into initialization mode whenever I turn it on. The power light keeps blinking without responding to any input, even the reset combination is not having any impact. Is there any owner of the P-45 or P45b on here who has faced a similar issue and found a workaround or fix for it ? Apart from this sudden issue this particular model has performed beautifully and I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone i know, but this sudden turn of events has me dumbfounded. If anyone has gone through something similar with their yamaha, please do share...

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
First thing I would do is try with another power supply

Jose

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1
...plus some other DPs, synths, controllers and VSTs

[Linked Image]
B
OP Offline
B
Yeah, that was my first thought too. But even with another official yamaha adapter of the same model, different adapters with the same voltages and a series of different power points around the house, it gives the same issue. It just doesn't come out of initialization mode frown. There must be some hack around to jolt it out of that mode, but the system is so damn black-boxed. When even the engineer mode as well as hard reset require interaction with the keys, I'm literally locked out.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I doubt there can be any way to "jolt it out of that mode". It's likely that the controller board is defective.

B
OP Offline
B
Yeah, so it seems sadly. I was trying to avoid lugging it over to the service centre in this lockdown, but there's no way I'll be replacing the controller board at home. Thanks for your responses!

H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

@Bobeshwar, Please note that this is just a hunch on my side, for I do not own that Yamaha, but:

Is there a backup battery (often of the coin/button cell type) inside the P45? If so, you could take it out, let the piano sit for some time to let any remaining charges in the circuits die out, and then put a fresh one in. During this, do not have any power supply connected, of course.

This is the 'hardest' reset I can think of, perhaps that might restore normality.

Again, this is a shot in the dark but wanted to give you this idea still.

Cheers and good luck,

HZ

B
OP Offline
B
Hi, That's a good idea. However, everything seems to be bolted in one single assembly held together by around 40 screws. But the service manual doesn't show any component resembling a battery or power storage of any kind (apart from the million capacitors lol). So if I disconnect it from the mains and let it sit for some time, it should replicate the behaviour you mention. After every other trick I've tried, this definitely can't hurt. Thanks for the suggestion!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I am sorry, but that kind of electronics is not easy to troubleshoot. I work fixing electronics (mainly radio communication gear but also electronic music instruments) and some months ago I worked on a Yamaha CLP-155. It made all kind of weird things, from repeating notes to playing other ones to not powering up. After much struggle I found a defective crystal oscillator on a secondary CPU which acted up. Replacing it fixed all the issues, but of course that kind of troubleshooting requires experience.

So, your best bet is to take it to a Yamaha service.

Good luck!

Jose

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1
...plus some other DPs, synths, controllers and VSTs

[Linked Image]
H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

@EB5AGV, Such a fine-grained diagnosis (on that CLP-155) and remedy is quite a feat, Jose!

๐Ÿ‘ ๐Ÿ‘ ๐Ÿ˜Œ

Cheers and happy problem solving,

HZ

B
OP Offline
B
Oh wow, that's some amazing work! Most engineers around here would not go deeper than simply swapping out parts. That kind of troubleshooting is well beyond my skill set. If HZPiano's charge-draining idea doesn't work out, I'll definitely be heading to a service centre.
Thanks!

S
S
Has anyone found a way to fix this problem? My P-45 has the same problem.

I tried looking online for solutions yet failed to find one.

However, I found this troubleshooting tip from a different product but has the same problem.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LED is flashing
Flashing red. (Flashes in 2-second intervals)
Protection circuit activated due to a rise in internal temperature. Turn off the power, wait for the set to fully cool down, then turn the power back on.

Please re-install this unit in a place having good ventilation.

Core wires of two speakers are touching each other or a core wire is sticking out of the terminal and touching the setโ€™s rear panel, activating the protection circuit. First unplug the power cord, then twist the core wires tightly or terminate the speaker cables, then reconnect.

Flashing red. (Flashes in 0.5-second intervals)
Turn down the volume and turn on the power again.

This unitโ€™s amplifier circuit has failed. Disconnect the power and contact the repair center.

https://manuals.denon.com/PMA150H/NA/EN/OBAOSYdxsymxad.php
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope this helps everyone including me.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission