2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, Colin Miles, 36251, 11 invisible), 2,061 guests, and 361 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by P W Grey
There is tone, and then there is tonal beauty. Some grands and some uprights have a tonal beauty that is incomparable. Most have just tone, and some have awesome power...but beauty...if you can get that too...wow!
I think power is only relevant in a concert hall and beauty is quite personal/subjective.

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by PaJaC
Hi!

I am fresh about keyboards and I wouldn't even be able to play these instruments well in stores. I had only just started reading a book on piano building and learned from it that normal grand pianos (i.e. over 220cm/88inch) should always sound better than their upright brothers (longer strings instead of thicker wraps of bass strings). Now I have a question for you as experienced musicians: What is your opinion on this subject? Does a Yamaha C7X like this beat upright pianos of the highest quality? These are models such as: Steinway K132, C. Bechstein concert 8, Bosendorfer, Grand Upright 130, Grotrian Concertino, Bluthner B, Sauter Master Class 130

Let me know what you think grin

This is just my preference, but I'd rather have a top Yamaha or Kawai upright like an SU7 or YUS-5 or K-500 or K-800 than a Steinway K32 or Bosendorfer 130.

Reading Piano World with Javascript turned off (no logins, no ads, fast response times). I will receive PMs.
C
C
I think it depends on your budget and space, that's all. Someone who has just gotten opinions from a book, as noted originally, doesn't play enough to make a difference. Because if you didn't have your own opinion from playing various types of pianos, someone isn't playing enough or that advanced that it matters that much.

J
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by ChristinaW
I think it depends on your budget and space, that's all. Someone who has just gotten opinions from a book, as noted originally, doesn't play enough to make a difference. Because if you didn't have your own opinion from playing various types of pianos, someone isn't playing enough or that advanced that it matters that much.

This is very true, your own ears are a better source of information regarding good tone than any book.

YAMAHA Artist
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
The C7X is an extremely high quality piano, so the size comparison is fairly straightforward. If you were talking about a badly made piano the same size as the C7X, it would have a harder time competing with a high quality smaller piano. Pianos of any size can sound bad, although I don't know of any current large grand that isn't well made.

Last edited by johnstaf; 07/17/21 05:17 PM.
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by j&j
Originally Posted by tre corda
J&J, You are talking about size.To me "downsize" would mean "economically" as well. At least that's the way I always think about it.I get what you mean. I would love a Steinways M too!

😁 This is what it will take for my heirs to put me in Adult Living. A Steinway M with Spirio.
Final proof of Alzheimer's?

W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W
@PaJaC What do you think about this Yamaha?

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
J
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by johnstaf
The C7X is an extremely high quality piano, so the size comparison is fairly straightforward. If you were talking about a badly made piano the same size as the C7X, it would have a harder time competing with a high quality smaller piano. Pianos of any size can sound bad, although I don't know of any current large grand that isn't well made.

I think that's right, actually, and even the concert grands coming out of China are very impressive. For me, they're not as good as the major more expensive famous makers instruments, but they're extremely impressive for the money, well designed with good quality materials.

Originally Posted by Withindale
@PaJaC What do you think about this Yamaha?

I don't know if you've spotted it yet but that's digital sound. This sounds like the piano voice of a older generation silent piano.

YAMAHA Artist
W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Joseph Fleetwood
I don't know if you've spotted it yet but that's digital sound. This sounds like the piano voice of a older generation silent piano.

Yes, I wondered about the recording. Its another dimension to the OP's "I am fresh about keyboards". Pianists, genres, instruments, rooms, acoustics, electronics, technicians, neighbours, budgets.

Here for comparison is Fibich's Poeme on a 7' Yamaha grand:

Last edited by Withindale; 07/18/21 11:05 AM.

Ian Russell
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Okay so you tempt me to ask....Why?
Ian

I'm all keyed up
2016 Blüthner Model A
PaJaC Offline OP
OP Offline
it's hard for me to say. It sounds clear which indicates a high amount of overtones which is definitely a plus. Instruments are only better when we can compare them to something. Otherwise we get used to them and they become just good smile

Listen to these two Petrof. They also has potential. Of course they are much taller because they are 140-150cm / 55-59 inch

PaJaC Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Withindale
Originally Posted by Joseph Fleetwood

Yes, I wondered about the recording. Its another dimension to the OP's "I am fresh about keyboards". Pianists, genres, instruments, rooms, acoustics, electronics, technicians, neighbours, budgets.

Here for comparison is Fibich's Poeme on a 7' Yamaha grand:
Please don't throw any more materials from this Yamaha here, because I fell in love with its purity and fullness of sound and now I will get sick on her 3hearts

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
The Petrofs may have something going! (Of course, frequency response of mics, etc., can influence some of this.)

5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
Those Petrofs sound amazing! They are obviously restored older instruments.Of course as Maestro pointed out we do not know the true quality because of the recordings.The treble though seemed not powerfull enough in the one the 55-59"piano.(Chopin Prelude.in f# min "virtuosic Chopin Prelude")

My piano's voice is my voice to God and the great unknown universe, and to those I love.
In other words a hymn. That is all, but that is enough. tre corda

PaJaC Offline OP
OP Offline
Well, unfortunately we will not make a grand piano out of a upright piano, but their clarity and fullness are immediately catchy grin

W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Beemer
Okay so you tempt me to ask....Why?
Ian

If you are referring to my "Here for comparison is Fibich's Poeme on a 7' Yamaha grand" the short answer is "Why not?"

Having heard Clark Bryan I looked on YouTube to see if anyone had recorded a selection of Fibich's 500 piano pieces.

Harry Völker came up on his Yamaha and I put it up on the spur of the moment (despite the recording). My thought was a good upright is good enough for many a good pianist. I am sure you and many other members would agree. For sure, my Schiedmayer is more than I will ever need.

The recording on the S7X was not intended to drive PaJaC to tears.

Ian Russell
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by PaJaC
Well, unfortunately we will not make a grand piano out of a upright piano, but their clarity and fullness are immediately catchy grin
I agree! It certainly sounded far better than many grands I have
heard.The action seems excellent as well.It is always better to actually play the instrument to really know if it is the piano that you should buy.Perhaps the treble in the Prelude sounded
much more powerful in real life.

My piano's voice is my voice to God and the great unknown universe, and to those I love.
In other words a hymn. That is all, but that is enough. tre corda

I would choose many cheaper grands over expensive uprights any day, for the feel, the sound and the presence - if space wasn't an issue.
I'm quite happy with very cheap historic grands - lots of fun and when well regulated and voiced, I still think they outperform todays modern upright-- some of which are 10, 20... 2000 times more expensive in some cases.

Classical and film score composer - www.eveshka.com | 1925 Romhildt Weimar 5'5" | 1933 Broadwood 4'6"
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission