2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (benkeys, brennbaer, AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, 12 invisible), 1,987 guests, and 343 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
HZPiano Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

Cheers and enjoy,

HZ

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
I am on laptop speakers, so that may exaggerate some differences, but boy does that NV-5 sound better!

Anyone who has seen Harrison's separate reviews of the NV5 and the CA99 knew before watching this video which one he would consider to be the superior piano.

So, it really comes down to how much you're willing and able to spend, and what level you're at. I thought his point about coming to these from "above" or "below" to be an interesting one. For someone coming from a $500 or $1,500 slab piano, the jump to an NV5 is a big one, in terms of both money and "feel". OTOH, as he says, for someone looking for a digital alternative to a good acoustic upright, the CA99 might not fit the bill.

Interesting comparison, and I always enjoy listening to Stu play! smile

"I think it's the excitement only a free man can feel; a free man at the start of a long journey, whose conclusion is uncertain." -- Morgan Freeman's character, "Red", in The Shawshank Redemption
K
K
Originally Posted by pianogabe
I am on laptop speakers, so that may exaggerate some differences, but boy does that NV-5 sound better!

not to forget that the successor NV5S has been further improved in terms of sound thanks to a further developed SK-EX rendering sound engine and new transducers for the soundboard...

H
HZPiano Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

This:

And yes, all of this:

Originally Posted by SeaDrive
Anyone who has seen Harrison's separate reviews of the NV5 and the CA99 knew before watching this video which one he would consider to be the superior piano.

So, it really comes down to how much you're willing and able to spend, and what level you're at. I thought his point about coming to these from "above" or "below" to be an interesting one. For someone coming from a $500 or $1,500 slab piano, the jump to an NV5 is a big one, in terms of both money and "feel". OTOH, as he says, for someone looking for a digital alternative to a good acoustic upright, the CA99 might not fit the bill.

Interesting comparison, and I always enjoy listening to Stu play! smile

Plus:

Originally Posted by Kammerklang
not to forget that the successor NV5S has been further improved in terms of sound thanks to a further developed SK-EX rendering sound engine and new transducers for the soundboard...

I find both of these instruments *very* interesting musically, and given space and financial means, would certainly prefer the NV5S (unless a proper acoustic came within reach, that is).

😋

Cheers and happy playing,

HZ

R
R
Well the sound difference is fairly small. I don't think would be disappointed by the sound of either one once you got home.
If you have the extra money why not get the NV5, but the CA99 is still quite the piano.

My problem is with the hybrid concept period. The whole point of a digital to me is the no hassle easy to use, no humidity or tuning to worry about and of course the ability to play with headphones or even lowering the sound.

To me, once you get to hybrid and all those moving parts and the price, you really have to start considering if an acoustic would not be a better choice.

And for all the great sound these hybrids have, I still see people on these forums using VST's with their hybrids.

When I got my CA79, I had no interest in the CA99 hybrid and my opinion has not changed.

Great pianos, both of them and another great review by Stu.

Ron

Ron
Kawai CA79

VSL (BÖSENDORFER 280VC, CFX, Steinway D-274), Modern U, Ravenscroft275, Noire, Lounge Lizard EP-4

(Not Used much) Garritan Abbey Road Studios CFX, Bechstein Digital, , Auddict_Dorian_Marko, The Grandeur,, 300_Grand_Compact, Pianoteq, Synthology_American_D
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by ronlefebvre
If you have the extra money why not get the NV5, but the CA99 is still quite the piano.

Surely, you meant ‘why not get an NV5S’……..

There’s no reason to get an NV5 at this junction; even if it means waiting a bit longer.

It’s not only for the ‘improvements’ but also for the fact that having yesterday’s model will fetch you less come trade/sell/upgrade time.

E
EPW Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Pete14

There’s no reason to get an NV5 at this junction; even if it means waiting a bit longer.

It’s not only for the ‘improvements’ but also for the fact that having yesterday’s model will fetch you less come trade/sell/upgrade time.

Yep gotta go for the new shiny model. Oh wait the old model was also shiny wink

Since you really can't get the NV5 at most places, you will have to pony up for the NV5S smile

Me after playing a N1X I'm thinking in the future a grand action is for me.

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
R
R
Originally Posted by Pete14

Of Course the NV5S. That goes without saying Pete.

Seriously...

Ron
Kawai CA79

VSL (BÖSENDORFER 280VC, CFX, Steinway D-274), Modern U, Ravenscroft275, Noire, Lounge Lizard EP-4

(Not Used much) Garritan Abbey Road Studios CFX, Bechstein Digital, , Auddict_Dorian_Marko, The Grandeur,, 300_Grand_Compact, Pianoteq, Synthology_American_D
Q
Q
"And on the software side, we've got providers like Modartt making their Pianoteq that have really celebrated and advanced the art of piano modeling technology"

Maybe I should just stick with Pianoteq, and get a VPC1 and decent speakers... that would be a cheaper option than either of these.

But I really want an NV5 frown

D
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
D

It should do, it's a lot more money lol

Instruments......Kawai MP7SE.............................................(Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000)
Software..........Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand...............K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
Piano stool.......K&M 14093 Piano stool
E
EPW Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by qpalzm
"And on the software side, we've got providers like Modartt making their Pianoteq that have really celebrated and advanced the art of piano modeling technology"

Maybe I should just stick with Pianoteq, and get a VPC1 and decent speakers... that would be a cheaper option than either of these.

But I really want an NV5 frown

It is amazing what polished Ebony can do to a person 😂

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
I think there is a point in buying a hybrid many people don't think of. I for example live in a town where there is no piano technician. And there are a lot of people who live in places where there are no technicians. And playing on an out-of-tune piano is a very unpleasant experience. So, to have a piano which has a real action but don't need to be tuned is a big plus. And many people don't consider the fact that maintaining an acoustic is expensive. Ok... let's assume that a hybrid does require some maintenance; but at least it doesn't need to be tuned 2-4 times a year.

Yamaha GB1K baby grand; Roland FP-80 & FP-7F; VI Labs Ravenscroft 275; Garritan CFX; Steinberg UR22mkII; Yamaha AG-03; Sennheiser HD 579 & HD 569; Zoom H5.
Me on YouTube: Duo Matschulat
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Interesting video. Great playing from Stu, as always.

In addition to the differences mentioned in the video, it's perhaps worth noting that the Novus cabinets are assembled in Kawai's acoustic piano facilitiies, while the CA99 cabinet is produced in the digital piano facility.

Also, as noted above, the NV5/NV5S have a polished ebony finish, while the CA99 in this video is obviously a Rosewood finish. Polished ebony adds a few millimetres and kilos to the cabinet.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
I
I
Like someone said in the video, adjusting speaker tone control to brilliance, makes the ca99 sound much clearer and cancels out the woofiness.
Try it!

Last edited by InspiredByKawai; 07/17/21 08:14 PM.
I
I
Does this mean they are made with different materials James?

Originally Posted by InspiredByKawai

Yes, I believe so.

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
Originally Posted by qpalzm
Maybe I should just stick with Pianoteq, and get a VPC1 and decent speakers...

smile smile smile smile smile

"I think it's the excitement only a free man can feel; a free man at the start of a long journey, whose conclusion is uncertain." -- Morgan Freeman's character, "Red", in The Shawshank Redemption
I
I
I recall a long time ago you telling me the ebony polish ca99 is made with the same polyester material as kawai acoustic uprights?

Last edited by InspiredByKawai; 07/18/21 09:02 AM.
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Originally Posted by InspiredByKawai

Yes, I believe so.

James, thanks for confirming my suspicion:

The cabinet design, materials, etc.. do indeed make a difference when it comes to ‘sound quality’, and how that sound eventually reaches us.

Stu has also confirmed this for me, ‘the NV-5 sounds more refined (mastered)’, and of course, he made this observation when playing through the on-board speakers/soundboard of both the NV-5 and CA-99.

This also applies to the ‘mystery’ surrounding the NU1X, “why does it sound better than the 685 despite the latter having more speakers?”

And keep in mind that Yamaha makes a big deal about their ‘spruce cone’ speaker(s); whereas, the NU1X’s speakers/sound system are rarely mentioned beyond the spec-sheet: “4 speakers.” No hype there, yet that little NU1X keeps smoking the 685\785!

And finally, keep in mind that the difference in price between the NU1X and the 785 is minimal (if at all), so I vouch for the NU1X and/or an NV5/S if you’re after an overall better ‘piano’ experience. If you want violins, tubas, and cellos with your piano, then look elsewhere, but if ‘piano’ is all you’re about, go for the ‘hybrids’!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission