2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
55 members (brdwyguy, accordeur, Candywoman, Andrew E., Álvaro, 18 invisible), 850 guests, and 497 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
PaJaC Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi!

I am fresh about keyboards and I wouldn't even be able to play these instruments well in stores. I had only just started reading a book on piano building and learned from it that normal grand pianos (i.e. over 220cm/88inch) should always sound better than their upright brothers (longer strings instead of thicker wraps of bass strings). Now I have a question for you as experienced musicians: What is your opinion on this subject? Does a Yamaha C7X like this beat upright pianos of the highest quality? These are models such as: Steinway K132, C. Bechstein concert 8, Bosendorfer, Grand Upright 130, Grotrian Concertino, Bluthner B, Sauter Master Class 130

Let me know what you think grin

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Generally, yes.

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
J
J
Absolutely, yes.

Yamaha C2X
Kawai MP11SE
Kawai K300 (Sold)

My Youtube channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxcUXVYxe1KM914SJX8YXsg
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C7X is quite a large piano so perhaps this one

https://www.pianobuyer.com/brand/chernobieff/

My piano's voice is my voice to the great unknown, out there..in other words a hymn.That is all but that is enough.

Just sold my old C2 and am thinking of replacing it with a CBechstein124, Schimmel 132 or a YUS5.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by tre corda

Tre corda, good point! If we're going to compare a C7X with an upright, then this should be the upright we use as the comparison point.

Otherwise, there's no point, the C7X wins, hands down.

Although, as I think about it, if we're going to compare a C7X with a 7′ 2″ tall upright, at that point, it's probably just two different sound experiences and it doesn't make sense to compare two different styles of sound production (i.e., vertical vs. horizontal).

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PaJaC Offline OP
OP Offline
rather, I meant the best possible piano up to $ 50,000 rather than why the grand piano will win, but I see that anyway the answers are unambiguous wink

j&j Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
A Yamaha C7X would for me beat any upright no matter who made it. I’m a big fan of Yamaha C7s and C7Xs.

Last edited by j&j; 07/15/21 09:05 PM.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
The reason I’m old and wise is because God protected me when I was young and stupid.
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro

Tre corda, good point! If we're going to compare a C7X with an upright, then this should be the upright we use as the comparison point.

Otherwise, there's no point, the C7X wins, hands down.

Although, as I think about it, if we're going to compare a C7X with a 7′ 2″ tall upright, at that point, it's probably just two different sound experiences and it doesn't make sense to compare two different styles of sound production (i.e., vertical vs. horizontal).
True for some people a high end upright may be more desirable.There are certain qualities that are truly admirable (do not ask 😉 for the sake of peace) On the other hand a C2 is an excellent piano and a more desirable instrument for most
people.My C2 is getting a little on in years.It still is a good piano, but has its problems as my technician says.It was rather neglected by the original owner.....
When it comes to good semi concert grands like Yamaha and probably Kawai all I can say is yes they are incredible instruments.

My piano's voice is my voice to the great unknown, out there..in other words a hymn.That is all but that is enough.

Just sold my old C2 and am thinking of replacing it with a CBechstein124, Schimmel 132 or a YUS5.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
So yes a C7 or a C7X for me rather than a Bechstein Concert 8,
thank you. 😊

J
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
J
C7/X vs any upright, the C7, or any other C series piano wins. The grand action also wins hands down for me, and although there are excellent actions in all of the pianos you've mentioned, and the Yamaha uprights as well (YUS5, SE132, SU7 for example), the actions of the CX series and up are incredible.

YAMAHA Artist
PaJaC Offline OP
OP Offline
Cool! I am very pleased with the large response to the thread, because many people decide to go for this price range and some don't have to worry about space. I was very curious about yours views as peoples, who played a whole lot of different pianos and can better define what should be better. I always thought that Yamaha is a half-measure, something that wants to be a decent instrument, but it cannot be, but you dispelled my doubts about this company in this price range smile

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
The answer to the question depends on what one means by "beat". Would the C7 action be better than the actions on the very high end uprights? Yes, but the actions on the very high end uprights would probably be very good and more than adequate for almost all non professionals. Would the tone on the C7 be better? The C7's longer bass strings would be a advantage, but it's also possible that some would prefer the tone of the high end uprights to the tone of the C7. Not everyone likes the tone of a Yamaha(or any make of piano).

In summary, the longer strings of the C7, grand stye action, together with the general quality of Yamaha would be hard for even the best vertical to "beat" but for some people the overall tone of the highest end verticals together with their supremely high quality might make them the choice for others. Quality of the sound in the bass is only one factor in evaluating a piano.

K
kre Offline
K
I would rather have smallest C1X than any upright, no matter how high-end.

J
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
J
I know this question is hypothetical, but if we are talking about pianos out of context of a situation you’ll get one answer and in context another.

Example: if your room is small, a grand piano would be cumbersome, and you’d have no option but to go for an upright or digital, which is where hybrids come in. For musicians with limited space who don’t want to compromise on quality of tone, the top range upright is probably their best bet, and for pianists who can’t live without a grand action but have no space then the hybrid is probably the best option.

But if the question is, does a Yamaha C7X have more musical potential than a high end upright and by that I mean does it have a greater dynamic range and wider tonal palette and better action(depending on the technician of course) then the answer would have to be yes.

YAMAHA Artist
j&j Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
If I’m ever forced to downsize my piano, I think I’d be looking for a Yamaha C1X Disklavier or a Steinway M with Spirio.

J & J
The reason I’m old and wise is because God protected me when I was young and stupid.
[Linked Image]
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
There is tone, and then there is tonal beauty. Some grands and some uprights have a tonal beauty that is incomparable. Most have just tone, and some have awesome power...but beauty...if you can get that too...wow!

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by j&j
If I’m ever forced to downsize my piano, I think I’d be looking for a Yamaha C1X Disklavier or a Steinway M with Spirio.
.....me too! ....need to downsize to a steinways m....😄

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J&J, You are talking about size.To me "downsize" would mean "economically" as well. At least that's the way I always think about it.I get what you mean. I would love a Steinways M too!

J
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by P W Grey
There is tone, and then there is tonal beauty. Some grands and some uprights have a tonal beauty that is incomparable. Most have just tone, and some have awesome power...but beauty...if you can get that too...wow!

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

True and that can be more to do with the magic of an individual piano

YAMAHA Artist
j&j Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
J&J, You are talking about size.To me "downsize" would mean "economically" as well. At least that's the way I always think about it.I get what you mean. I would love a Steinways M too!

😁 This is what it will take for my heirs to put me in Adult Living. A Steinway M with Spirio.

J & J
[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
Our Fall 2021 Free Newsletter is Out , see it here!
---------------------
Selling my Hammond & Leslie!
---------------------
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Climate Change & Boom
by Xam - 10/16/21 08:18 PM
Upright Piano Decisions… - Boston vs Schimmel
by Pianofly - 10/16/21 08:16 PM
Piano Finishes and Finish Repair
by Larry Fine - 10/16/21 02:57 PM
How to Set VSL Latency in GarageBand
by TylerMorgan1 - 10/16/21 02:39 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,623
Posts3,140,201
Members103,025
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission