2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, btcomm, Animisha, 14 invisible), 2,018 guests, and 347 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
C
4000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
C
...evidenced by the improvements Casio made to the new PX-S1100:

- improved string resonance
- better speakers
- BT MIDI included (via an adapter)

https://www.casiomusicgear.com/products/privia-series/px-s1100

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I wonder if they have fixed the black vs white key weight differences...

Jose

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1
...plus some other DPs, synths, controllers and VSTs

[Linked Image]
_
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
_
I'm sure they haven't fixed the ultra-short key pivot ;( No news about modifications to the key action.

C
4000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
C
This seems like a quite small update, but at least they are improving.

...as is everybody of course.

Maybe we can expect some more Casio news this year.

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by EB5AGV
I don't think there's anything to "fix" there, within the current physical design. This became a big issue with a James Pavel Shawcross youtube video, but in his video where he looked at it in more depth, while he still didn't like it, as I recall, he concluded that what they did with the weighting was probably the best that could be done within the contstraints of the short keys, i.e. that altering it in one way would make it worse in another. The only "fix," then, would be to go to an entirely different action, with deeper keys and bigger chassis.

F
F
But about that missing audio in …

O
O
Try it.. Dont like it? Don't buy it. But I'm seeing a load of posts from overseas players that are playing classical pieces on all but the most crap of Digital Piano's. Sheer talent outweighs quality of instrument..

Did someone say we need to stop comparing Digitals to Acoustics?
C
4000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
C
Don't take the title too seriously. This post was mainly about the existence of the new PX-S1100.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by _sem_
I'm sure they haven't fixed the ultra-short key pivot ;( No news about modifications to the key action.

Casio downgraded their already not so great action due to cost cutting and will stick with it for many years.

But no musician considers the calculator and watch manufacturer a serious piano brand anyway. Outside certain forums with a vocal following, they are not considered being part of the game. Nobody shows up to a gig with a Casio without getting laughed off stage.

So in the end, the toy action doesn't matter and Casio knows that.

Yamaha P-515
V
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
V
Originally Posted by Fleer
But about that missing audio in …
You are correct... Casio dropped the line in from the px s1000 to the s1100, but kept it on the px s3100. Let's see if anything happens in the cdp line.

In the general description they also mention "high resolution midi" but I found nothing special in the specs...

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by vagfilm
In the general description they also mention "high resolution midi" but I found nothing special in the specs...

See the MIDI implementation chart, in the manual. The CC88 (hi res velocity prefix) is supported.

http://www.sinerj.org/
http://humeur-synthe.sinerj.org/
Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

Did Casio's "high resolution" MIDI implementation ever transmit anything beyond sensor noise on the lower of the 14 bits? I doubt that.

Yamaha P-515
C
4000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
C
Oh, the PX-S3100 has also been introduced now as vagfilm had already noticed: https://www.casio-intl.com/asia/en/emi/products/pxs3100/

Musicradar suggests that the PX-S1100 will be available in September: https://www.musicradar.com/news/casio-px-s1100-digital-piano

V
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
V
Faster transmission rate would be better than almost useless 1024 velocities (unless it is true that they have some kind of acceleration detection to improve their 2 sensor action)... Onthe other hand, why do I care? I am not interested in any of these models...

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by anotherscott
I don't think there's anything to "fix" there, within the current physical design. This became a big issue with a James Pavel Shawcross youtube video, but in his video where he looked at it in more depth, while he still didn't like it, as I recall, he concluded that what they did with the weighting was probably the best that could be done within the contstraints of the short keys, i.e. that altering it in one way would make it worse in another. The only "fix," then, would be to go to an entirely different action, with deeper keys and bigger chassis.

It's just sad for the poor beginners, who get tortured with these models and learn to play with deviant weighting. As a result they will never sound right on a real (digital) piano.

Yamaha P-515
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by JoeT
Nobody shows up to a gig with a Casio without getting laughed off stage.
I've done probably hundreds of gigs with Casios. No laughing.

Faster transmission rate would be better
What's wrong with its transmission rate? It's the same as every other MIDI keyboard, no?

V
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
V
The original MIDi transmission rate (still the one in use, either with dins or usb) is just enough for the purpose, but does not have a lot of headroom for transmitting many simultaneous notes, because it uses slow (very slow in the case of the midi spec) asynchronous transmission protocol (ie, notes are not timestamped with the time they were generated by the key press but by the time they reach the receiver and, for that reason, timestaps may differ between the internal midi file and an external midi recording of the same performance, afaik). If you add continuous pedalling, XY controller sticks, and large chords, you run into transmission limitations and may have a few milliseconds of drift. How important is that? Well, it depends on your OCD.

With fast synchronous transmission you could timestamp each individual note to an internal absolute clock of the keyboard and send the info in blocks of data, creating a lot of headroom if properly implemmented.

So, yes, not a problem specific to this keyboard (all have the same limitation) but when I read "higher midi resolution" I was naive to think of higher temporal resolution... Not happening...

Last edited by vagfilm; 07/16/21 08:41 AM.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Timestamps will arrive with MIDI2.0 which uses high bandwidth transmission (typically USB, but you can use MIDI over Ethernet).

But I suppose that MIDI2.0 is only implemented by prototypes nowadays. You will need to upgrade DP, DAW, MIDI drivers.

Last edited by Frédéric L; 07/16/21 09:15 AM.

http://www.sinerj.org/
http://humeur-synthe.sinerj.org/
Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
So, yes, not a problem specific to this keyboard (all have the same limitation) but when I read "higher midi resolution" I was naive to think of higher temporal resolution... Not happening...
Right. They're not going to do anything outside the MIDI spec. Higher resolution velocity is an officially supported extension to the MIDI spec, higher transmission speed over USB is coming with MIDI 2.0. Though I don't think people with (or who are thinking of buying) $650 Casios have faster MIDI transmission high on their wish list. Heck, it would barely even be a theoretical benefit. It's not like we're talking about a board that has wheels or poly (or even mono) aftertouch or even the ability to transmit on more than one MIDI channel at a time... really, nothing that seriously challenges even MIDI 1.0 transmission speed.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JoeT
It's just sad for the poor beginners, who get tortured with these models and learn to play with deviant weighting. As a result they will never sound right on a real (digital) piano.

Eh, I’d still recommend one of these for a student over a spinet or a worn out acoustic upright console. Or stepping up from an unweighted or semi-weighted action.

Heck, I’m probably going to need to buy one of these for myself, for a placement where I have to set up and take down the piano after each use.

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission