2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, btcomm, 12 invisible), 1,962 guests, and 332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I did prefer a lot the CLP645 compared to the CLP635. The wooden keys made an huge difference. Perhaps the CLP745 and CLP735 have such a difference but I haven’t tried them. The best thing is to try by yourself.

http://www.sinerj.org/
http://humeur-synthe.sinerj.org/
Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
2) To what extent are prices to be negotiated at this price point? I've gotten the impression (perhaps mistaken) that the Sweetwater price (which tends to be significantly below MSRP) represents a good "cheap" price, but I don't know whether that's the correct benchmark.
A dealer may take less in some circumstances (doesn't hurt to make an offer), but the price of a digital piano at Sweetwater, Sam Ash, or Guitar Center is usually the street price, and a good working number for what you can expect to pay. Kraft Music sometimes bundles some accessories at the same price.

Reading Piano World with Javascript turned off (no logins, no ads, fast response times). I will receive PMs.
About 735 vs 745 action: Basically the construction of the action is said to be the same, but the 745 has some wood parts to make it more premium.

It is hard to find people here that have tried both pianos because they had been released last year and due to covid shortage and lockdown there are only very few people who had compared both. Pianoo.de played them both in two youtube videos and stated in this CLP-745 video, that the action is be a bit nicer than CLP-735. He cannot explain what exactly is nicer but it is what he feels.

You may also be interested reading this article: AZ PIANO yamaha-clp735-clp745-clp765GP.

Then there is also a CLP-725, a stripped down version of CLP-735. Same action, but weaker speakers and way less features. Played with headphones it should be equal to CLP-735 for 600 bucks less. So if you are looking for action alone, the CLP-745 is the next best action over CLP-725 and here we talking about 1400 bucks price difference.

And try out also Kawai:
CA-49 (feature wise very stripped down like CLP-725, but with an action in the price-class of CLP-745)
CA-59 (counterpart to CLP-745)
CA-79 (counterpart to CLP-775)
And then there are CN29 (like CA49 with plastic action) and CN39 (like CA59 with plastic action). But IMO the price difference in the US is too small - I would go for the CA models. (In Europe the price difference is much bigger)

...And don't forget Roland

Wish you happy testing! Let us know how it goes...

Self teaching Adult Beginner without method | Kawai CN29, Senn HD560s, Casio CT-S1
Casio GP310

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Yamaha GHS action for the lower end keyboards are very light.

Roland entry actions are lovely. the pha4 standard seen on their latest line is decent.
Was pleasantly surprised by it
Offered a lot of control as well.

Yamaha GH action seen on their older high end keyboards were rather heavy I didn't like them too much but despite this they were very responsive to touch and seemed to be calibrated to give you a lot of finesse and control over your piano

Korg rm3 action is realistic to my hands when comparing to grand pianos.

Responsiveness with the built in sounds aren't the best but when coupled with piano software from a computer it is lovely. This may not apply to your situation though.

Hope my limited experience with the digitals help .

Acoustic actions vary wayyyyy too much to put a "standard" feel on it.

If I were to pick a piano for my kids though I'd go with a Roland.

at least their lower end line is great.

FP30x and fp60x actions.

Their responsiveness and overall feel is to my liking particularly for a beginner.

But this is just my opinion.

Haven't had the opportunity to try any Kawai digitals or Casios

Hope this helps

Korg D1:AKG K240 MKII:KRK Rokit 6 gen 3 Pair Studio Monitors::Pianoteq Bechstein, Petrof, Grotrian, Steinway B, Steinway D,:Garritan CFX:Ravenscroft:Modern U:Galaxy Vintage D, Galaxy Bluthner Baby Grand,
Acoustics:
KAYSERBURG UH 132 Royal Vertical:
1934 Danemann Upright:
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Are you sure you do not want to look at used upright pianos? Yamaha has a small upright piano that if it is used may be in your price range. Some come with a silent option if you want that. At that price point the digital sound engine would be rather dated, but as good as some of the new labs recommended in this thread.

I took a few lessons at a piano school that teaches lots of children on older, low end, uprights. The kids seem to do quite well. I remember I thought the old Zimmerman I was using was not very responsive (as compared to my NV10 of course). But the teacher soon had me doing some jazz licks I never thought I could. And I was fine with it after that.

The point I am making is that if you are okay with her practicing on a real piano now, why not in the future on a older acoustic that you can sell in the future if she continues to advance?

Kawai NV10
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I should mention the folks on this forum and their opinions have been a tremendous help over the years and they are very well versed and experienced to give feedback on digital and acoustic actions.

Their advise is priceless.

I’ve based all my orders on feedback from this forum due to not having access to digital pianos from where I live and the info on this forum enable you to make educated decisions on purchases . In my case often having to purchase sight unseen due to constraints on traveling, time, and lack of access locally.

Good luck with your purchase

It’s important to note that proper playing technique is crucial in order to prevent any repetitive strain injuries and long term injuries despite what action you choose and in time your daughter will be able to adjust to any action being played in both acoustic and digital

All the best

Korg D1:AKG K240 MKII:KRK Rokit 6 gen 3 Pair Studio Monitors::Pianoteq Bechstein, Petrof, Grotrian, Steinway B, Steinway D,:Garritan CFX:Ravenscroft:Modern U:Galaxy Vintage D, Galaxy Bluthner Baby Grand,
Acoustics:
1934 Danemann Upright:
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I'm now seeing the budget has changed to 2500 to 3000US dollars.

I'm not an expert on the US market for acoustics

Nevertheless u should be able to get a fairlydecent used Charles Walter upright acoustic, Baldwin Hamilton or Yamaha p22 for that price.

British Challen pianos are amazing to play as well.
Knights are sublime. All should be within that price bracket.

British Chappell are to die for if you find one with a good soundboard and internals are in decent condition but these tend to be pretty old so there is that.

Again I'm not entirely familiar with the US market on used acoustics.

Either way it's still something to consider.

Maybe mention the new budget to your piano teacher and see what they say?

My Personal opinion it's always better to practice on an acoustic

If you are in a house that permits her to practice often without hindrance the acoustic would be a better bet but this is just my opinion.

I'm not sure where the price point for Ritmueller pianos are in the used market but they are really really good action wise and sound wise as well.

At least the one's that were designed from Lothar Thomma. It will have his name engraved on the inside .

I should stop speaking Acoustic piano before I get booted out of the digital section of this website :P

whatever you decide good luck and all the best.

Cheers.

Last edited by Mta88; 07/16/21 06:14 PM.

Acoustics:
1934 Danemann Upright:
S
S
Most of my experience is with the Kawai, but on that I'd say that the CA49 is where to look. Same action as the 59, but cheaper. A lot better action than the ES series. The 79 is the next step up in actions from the 49, but a lot more expensive.

The 59 can do more stuff than the 49 (more effects, instruments etc) but honestly I'd heartily recommend that you pocket the difference for the future. Music is a wonderful, broad thing, and her interests might branch in the future.

If she wants to get better piano sounds, you can pick up an audio interface ($100 ish for an entry level), a VST of choice (and, in that, welcome to another Piano World argument, but lets say Addictive Keys for around $100) and a relatively inexpensive laptop.

If she wants to add in singing, you can do that with the interface and the laptop by subbing the VST for a mic + boom.

If she wants to compose or produce music, sub the VST for a DAW of choice.

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Clavichordium - I’m entering this late but have a few questions and thoughts.
First, has your daughter been playing one of the school pianos recently, or has she only been playing the old spinet? I worry a little about her frame of reference being the spinet, exclusively.
That said, what are her opinions right new about the digital pianos she has tried, compared with acoustics? Did she get to try both the CLP 735 and 745, or just the 745? If she did get to try them both, how did she compare them?

I am, I guess, one of those rare individuals who got to play both the 735 and 745 side by side. This was last fall, after I hadn’t played a note in over 15 years. I went in very open minded and not eager to pay for something if I couldn’t appreciate a difference. I felt the wood components in the 745 made a very significant improvement to the feel of playing. I bought the 745. But that is my opinion, and I think the important opinion here is your daughter’s.

I will also say that it is NOT an acoustic piano. After 6 months with the CLP 745, I really was itching to start the search for an acoustic piano. I found one and am playing my acoustic piano much more than I had been playing the CLP 745, really because it is much more enjoyable for me. But you have a complex set of circumstances, and these circumstances will have an impact on the decision between an acoustic and a DP. My next bit of advice - with the higher budget, you may want to contact your technician again and see if he knows of any available acoustics in your price range or if he would still recommend a digital. It sounds like he is knowledgeable, trustworthy, and has a good sense of your needs.

I will also add a +1 regarding discussing all of this with your daughter’s teachers.

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
The CA49 looks like a good option. The ES920 has the HI-XL piano sound engine, which is incorporated into the CA59 but not the CA49. The piano sound engine of the CA49 matches that of the ES520.

The $800 difference between the CA49 and CA59 would suggest either getting the CA49 and later adding a laptop and VST or getting the CA59 and having greater longevity of the piano.

There also is a question of whether the Grand Feel Compact action of the CA49/59 is as satisfactory to the pianist as the action in an MP11SE as the latter plus monitors and stand is about the same price.

Reading Piano World with Javascript turned off (no logins, no ads, fast response times). I will receive PMs.
C
OP Offline
C
Many, many thanks to all who replied to my questions! Your help has been invaluable.

My daughter was able to test out six different digital pianos (some that I had hoped to see for purposes of comparison weren't available). She fell in love with the Roland HP704, which she felt most resembled the grands she plays at her lessons and recitals. Here is how she ranked the pianos she played:

1) Roland HP704
2) Yahama CLP-745 (she liked this piano, but not nearly as well as the HP704
3) Roland LX7
4) another Yamaha whose name I didn't make note of, as it would have been completely out of our price range and she in any case didn't like it as well as the CLP-745.
5) Kawai CA79
6) Kawai CA59

Having read here about obscenely long wait times for digital pianos due to supply chain disruptions, and having seen her unbridled enthusiasm for the HP704 (I believe she would have played it for several hours had I not insisted we move along to the next store), I decided, after having seen representative samples from each of the three chief manufacturers, to move quickly on purchasing the HP704, which was the only one in stock at the store (and, I expect, in our area). Time will tell whether I acted precipitously, but, given our needs and budget, I feel quite comfortable with the decision.

I hope to submit a couple of updates here in the future -- once after she's played it for a few weeks and again after she's played it for a year or two.

Thanks again for everything. The generosity of the members of this forum is truly remarkable.

C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
Very good resolution!

May she get lots of pleasure from that DP!

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
E
EPW Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
Yay!

Almost all the Digital Pianos you were trying would of been fine. But there is always seems to be one that the player levitates too and wants to keep playing. Please stay around the forum and keep us posted on your daughters journey laugh

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Excellent choice!

FP-90x, PX-330
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Congratulations 🎉🎊🎈!
That sounds like a great choice, as it was so clearly your daughter’s preference. I’m glad she got to try out so many pianos. I also think it will mean a lot to her that you are getting the piano that she chose.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Congratulations to your and your daughter Clavi! I enjoyed reading the selection/purchase experience!

A man must love a thing very much if he practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practice it without any hope of doing it well. Such a man must love the toils of the work more than any other man can love the rewards of it.
G. K. Chesterton
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Excellent. I'm sure your daughter's success at the piano will continue.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Congratulations on your purchase!

Roland are amazing I'm sure it will bring her great joy for years to come.

smile

Acoustics:
1934 Danemann Upright:
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission