2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Week Deals
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
34 members (Gianluca, Georg Z., Charles Cohen, Calavera, AprilE, 14 invisible), 1,054 guests, and 366 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
P
Online Content
P
I’ve played the s1000 in a store a couple of times. I never notice the black key difference.

The short pivot can be noticeable and the texture is a bit different but this is a perfectly fine dp.

Especially considering it’s size and weight.

I think the only time someone would laugh would be if you keep trying to lug your 70lbs slab to gigs.

FP-90x, PX-330
J
J
I love my S1000. It is a very practical DP for daily use. Though I've upgraded to Yamaha P515, I still come back to P1000 when traveling as it is so much lighter.

Started piano studies at age 55.The journey is more important than the result.
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by terminaldegree
Originally Posted by JoeT
It's just sad for the poor beginners, who get tortured with these models and learn to play with deviant weighting. As a result they will never sound right on a real (digital) piano.

Eh, I’d still recommend one of these for a student over a spinet or a worn out acoustic upright console. Or stepping up from an unweighted or semi-weighted action.
I agree, the "problem" is over-stated. Many fine players have started out on much worse. By no means is someone who starts out on a PX-S going to be handicapped for life. ;-) And in fact, I've played more expensive boards that I think don't play as well overall as the Casios. Fixating on one attribute ignores the myriad of other ways DP actions can deviate from the real thing.

G
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
G
Different tools for different jobs.

I see the PX-S1000 as targeted to those who really prioritize a smaller, lighter package, whether due to limited space, transport, gigging, etc. And if they can tolerate the tradeoffs (not flaws) in the hammer action for that, then it's the right tool for the job.

James Pavel Shawcross (why is there so much hate for the guy?) seems to be coming more from a general/home/studio/classical perspective, where a light, compact setup isn't that important. Rather, whether it feels and sounds like a real piano matters. A lot of us here probably agree with that prioritization. So he notices and criticizes the subtle trade-offs more. It's been amplified quite a bit over the course of the 3-4 videos he's made about it, but IMO he's pretty measured in how he describes the behavior.

If it's what you have or what you like? Great, play it. It's a compact hammer action DP, similar to a P45 or P-125.
If you don't need the minimal size or space savings, are there better or more realistic budget hammer actions? Sure, at least when it comes to key weighting and pivot length.
Will it impact your playing and learning? I dunno, but it sounds like there are a lot of things that might impact that, including some old/poorly regulated/designed acoustics.

So in the end, such is life.

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
R
R
So I suppose there's not enough info to inform on differences in the new models?

Randy
Kawai ES110/ES920, Casio CT-X5000
Flute / Alto recorder / Melodica / iPad music apps
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Randyman
So I suppose there's not enough info to inform on differences in the new models?
On Facebook, Mike Martin from Casio posted this:

These are currently in Japan only.
PX-S1100 will be here (USA) around October, no ETA on the PX-S3100.
Both models have redesigned speaker systems, included WU-BT10 Bluetooth Audio and MIDI adapter. PX-S1100 can also record audio to a USB thumb drive, has updated piano tones and improved damper / sympathetic resonance system.

Someone in another post noted that it looks like they also removed the 1/8" audio input in the move from PX-S1000 to PX-S1100. While the WU-BT10 effectively replaces it for some purposes, it could be missed for other purposes.

F
F
And I hope the key texture is a little less rough.

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
No indication of any change in the keys/action.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by terminaldegree
It's just sad for the poor beginners, who get tortured with these models and learn to play with deviant weighting. As a result they will never sound right on a real (digital) piano.

Eh, I’d still recommend one of these for a student over a spinet or a worn out acoustic upright console. Or stepping up from an unweighted or semi-weighted action.

Heck, I’m probably going to need to buy one of these for myself, for a placement where I have to set up and take down the piano after each use.

I prefer mine to my Baldwin acoustic.
I watched the review, but playing the keyboard I have never noticed the difference in the weight of the keys.
As per my signature, I have zero complaints about my PX.S3000 The speakers sound great, the tone is nice, key texture feels great. It's a kick-in-the a&& to play.

Casio PX-S3000
Nope, no issues with it at all.
Took lessons from 1960 to 1969, stopped at age 16.
Started again in July 2020 at age 67. Lots more fun now!
Casio downgraded their already not so great action due to cost cutting and will stick with it for many years. But no musician considers the calculator and watch manufacturer a serious piano brand anyway. Outside certain forums with a vocal following, they are not considered being part of the game. Nobody shows up to a gig with a Casio without getting laughed off stage. So in the end, the toy action doesn't matter and Casio knows that.

Your above statement seems to me to be nothing more than utter nonsense.

I for one continue to enjoy my PX-870 immensely; have been playing it daily for the past 20+ months, and I have had zero issues. I love the look of the piano, it sounds lovely, has no clicky keys, the action feels exquisite to me, a real pleasure to play this instrument... oh, and yes, I am a real musician. (more so than yourself perhaps?) It's pretty much a given that my next piano will be a Casio as well.

I have many friends/acquaintances who adore their Casio pianos every bit as much as I do... and yes, most are real musicians like myself, (as in formally-trained classical pianists with music degrees) who certainly do appreciate how good these instruments really are. And yes, many "real" musicians do indeed "show up to a gig with a Casio", and I am doubtful that they have been laughed off the stage. Ever.

I'm unsure what kind of issues you've personally experienced with the brand, but it does appear that you may have some sort of an axe to grind? But if you actually believe that Casio in recent years isn't "a serious piano brand" that's "not considered part of the game" then I think that there's a fair to good chance that you've been living under a rock for quite awhile . "Toy action" huh?

Glen
www.FocusOnNewfoundland.com

- Casio Privia PX-870BK
- Casiotone CT-680
- Casiotone CT-S300
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I’ve seen a musician gigging with a Casio once.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
G
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
G
I've seen about as many PX5Ss as I see Nords, mainly because both are easy to tell at a glance (mainly videos taken of gigs, I haven't really been doing the in-person thing).

I don't think regular "keyboardists" turn up their noses to Casio the way PW does...

JoeT, just what are you talking about? Your arrogance and your know-it-all attitude is simply obnoxious and toxic.

Here is just one example of an exceptional pianist, Hayato Sumino, participant of this years Chopin Competetion, using a Casio digital piano regularly beside his Steinway grand:

But thanks to your wisdom I know that he is not a musician. I will keep that in mind when I watch his performance tomorrow at the Chopin competition.

If you don't have something to contribute to the discussion, it's better to remain silent.

Roland FP-30 | Pianoteq 7
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Looks like my cheeky statement ruffled some feathers. We are living in a trigger-happy society now, but I heard bands sing more offending lyrics than that. Maybe I should write a song about Casio's key weights and let it go viral. wink

Originally Posted by CyberGene
I’ve seen a musician gigging with a Casio once.

I've seen everything including Harley Benton and Medeli. That's why I never said anything about what people do at their homes or how nobody is showing up without professional gear (that would be outrageous). That's a straw man others chose to beat, because I don't see this brand up with the others (and especially not on par with Clavia Nord).

Yamaha P-515
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
I don't see this brand up with the others (and especially not on par with Clavia Nord).
OTOH (since we've been focussing on action), I would rather play the Casio action than the actions on some of the Nords.

P
pwl Offline
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
P
That Hayato Sumino video is mesmerizing. Thanks for the post, eddiepiano.

I like his other videos, especially his classical (and anime ;)) repertoire on the grand piano, even better! Just wanted to share a video with a Casio. I'm glad you liked it. smile I'm rooting for him tomorrow at the Chopin preliminary, he seems like a genuinely good guy and very gifted pianist.

Last edited by eddiepiano; 07/19/21 04:21 PM.

Roland FP-30 | Pianoteq 7
G
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
G
He goes by "Cateen" on youtube, and I first started following him when I heard his Op 25-11, maybe the most technically crisp renditions I've ever heard.

V
V
And if you want to see him play a grand piano and a CASIO at the same time in a concert hall with orchestra, take a look at this (jump to 7:00)... (well, it is not a casio but a melodica, and probably from Yamaha or Hohner, but it is a cheap red keyboard and no one kicked him out of the stage).

J
J
Yup

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Allegretto from Granados Escenas Romanticas Fingering
by luthierone - 12/03/21 11:57 PM
Ohio Valley Gem
by Jayekanan - 12/03/21 11:10 PM
For those who play David Nevue
by ShiroKuro - 12/03/21 10:39 PM
Tone of a Fazioli Piano and How to Voice it?
by PianoLover123 - 12/03/21 06:07 PM
Kawai CN29 or CN39
by Teresaw - 12/03/21 02:42 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,377
Posts3,150,505
Members103,510
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission