2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, 6 invisible), 1,935 guests, and 310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
OP Offline
P
Does anyone know how the studiologic SL88 studio compares to other digital keyboards such as the yamaha p-125, rolans fp30, korg d1, etc.? I'm curious to know this because the sl88 studio is more cheaper in price than the digital pianos that may have better action and maybe I could save some money and get the sl88 instead of a digital piano.

Ive tried searching for this on the internet and haven't found an answer yet except personal opinions on how the action feels rather than compares to other products. I often hear the sl88 feel heavy and spongy, but I'm not sure how it compares to other digital pianos. I've tried the p125 and fp30 so I know how they feel, but I haven't been able to try the sl88 studio because none of the two music stores nearby have had them.

I'm hoping somebody has some experience with the sl88 studio that can share their thoughts

J
J
I have played both (I've got a P121 -same key action as P125, and a good friend has the Studiologic SL88 which I have spent time on).
I actually prefer the P121 which I know is really only Yamaha's entry level action. While the feel of both is on the lighter side - which I like - the Yamaha is graded while the SL is not. Also there is a bounce/note cut-off problem with the SL88 that is hard to describe so that occasionally if you play at all "sloppy" some notes cut short so it is less forgiving in how you play.
They are two very different keyboards in that the Studiologic allows a deep dive into midi capabilities and use with a DAW while the Yamaha is really just for playing piano. However two things the Yamaha has that the Studiologic doesn't are USB audio built in (one cord does midi and audio) and internal speakers.

Last edited by Jonky Ponky; 07/13/21 07:21 PM.
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by Jonky Ponky
I have played both (I've got a P121 -same key action as P125, and a good friend has the Studiologic SL88 which I have spent time on).
I actually prefer the P121 which I know is really only Yamaha's entry level action. While the feel of both is on the lighter side - which I like - the Yamaha is graded while the SL is not. Also there is a bounce/note cut-off problem with the SL88 that is hard to describe so that occasionally if you play at all "sloppy" some notes cut short so it is less forgiving in how you play.
They are two very different keyboards in that the Studiologic allows a deep dive into midi capabilities and use with a DAW while the Yamaha is really just for playing piano. However two things the Yamaha has that the Studiologic doesn't are USB audio built in (one cord does midi and audio) and internal speakers.

Thanks for your thoughts.. Would you say the SL88 has a heavy spongy feel? That's what I've heard some people describe it as. Also, do you know any other digital pianos that have a similar feel to the sl88?

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
SL88 Studio (not to be confused with SL88 Grand) uses a Fatar TP100 action (as does the SL73). Though there is some variation in even how TP100 has felt on different models. But some other TP100 based boards include Arturia Keylab 88, Nord Electro HP models, I think all the 73-key hammer action Dexibels, Numa Stage.

P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by anotherscott
SL88 Studio (not to be confused with SL88 Grand) uses a Fatar TP100 action (as does the SL73). Though there is some variation in even how TP100 has felt on different models. But some other TP100 based boards include Arturia Keylab 88, Nord Electro HP models, I think all the 73-key hammer action Dexibels, Numa Stage.

Do you have any hands on experience with any of those for comparison to digital pianos? I'm trying to get a feel for how the keys are in case I consider it. I already know how some digital pianos feel, but haven't had any recent opportunities to try the tp100LR. I mightve tried it once on an old keylab 88 mk1 a few years ago, but I don't remember how it felt.

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
It's subjective. Personally, I'd prefer the RH3 action in the Korg D1, or probably any of the current Casio actions, to a TP100. But no one is going to be able to tell you which you will like better.

P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by anotherscott
It's subjective. Personally, I'd prefer the RH3 action in the Korg D1, or probably any of the current Casio actions, to a TP100. But no one is going to be able to tell you which you will like better.

True. Some people like the tp100. I've tried the rh3 action on the korg sv and I liked it except it didn't have textured keys like the Rolands . The Casios felt ok to me, but they felt a bit light compared to the others.

Would you say the tp100 is heavier and spongy feeling than those two?

H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

I've elaborated on my 2020 search experiences in several other threads, here's the short(ish) version:

-> When looking for a good MIDI keyboard for piano, because of price advantages I also looked at the MIDI controller category. *None* of these were acceptable in quality of actions. This is not counting the Kawai VPC1, by the way.

-> Then, tested and dismissed the Yamaha GHS action for (in my mind) shockingly poor construction.

-> Tested and dismissed the Casio actions in this price range--unusable (in my mind).

-> Tested and dismissed the Korg D1. Loved the excellent build quality, but couldn't get proper nuance control out of it.

-> Settled for a Roland PHA-4 action: it gives all I need for driving my virtual piano library. I chose the FP-10 for all I needed was keybed and proper MIDI behavior. If one needs more pedal options and/or more connectivity options, then the FP-30X would be the minimum model level needed.

-> Note: Kawai ES110 was unavailable at the time, otherwise this would have been a strong contender as well, had I been able to test this one as well.

Always, always be sure to test and evaluate *in person* before a final purchase decision.

Cheers and happy further research,

HZ

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I currently have a SL-88 Studio and a Yamaha MOX8 (GHS) and had a Yamaha DGX-660 (GHS) for a couple years. I find the SL-88 spongy and bouncy compared to any GHS action. And then, compared to my VPC1, it seems a toy.

So... Invest a bit more and get a better action. Your playing pleasure deserves it.

Jose

PS: I got my SL-88 Studio because it was a bargain, just 200€, but really it is not worth the retail price IMHO

Jose

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1
...plus some other DPs, synths, controllers and VSTs

[Linked Image]
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by HZPiano
Hello,

I've elaborated on my 2020 search experiences in several other threads, here's the short(ish) version:

-> When looking for a good MIDI keyboard for piano, because of price advantages I also looked at the MIDI controller category. *None* of these were acceptable in quality of actions. This is not counting the Kawai VPC1, by the way.

-> Then, tested and dismissed the Yamaha GHS action for (in my mind) shockingly poor construction.

-> Tested and dismissed the Casio actions in this price range--unusable (in my mind).

-> Tested and dismissed the Korg D1. Loved the excellent build quality, but couldn't get proper nuance control out of it.

-> Settled for a Roland PHA-4 action: it gives all I need for driving my virtual piano library. I chose the FP-10 for all I needed was keybed and proper MIDI behavior. If one needs more pedal options and/or more connectivity options, then the FP-30X would be the minimum model level needed.

-> Note: Kawai ES110 was unavailable at the time, otherwise this would have been a strong contender as well, had I been able to test this one as well.

Always, always be sure to test and evaluate *in person* before a final purchase decision.

Cheers and happy further research,

HZ

Thanks for your thoughts. I do want the fp30x, but I was wondering if I could maybe save money and get the sl88 studio instead and be fine with the action. Unfortunately, there aren't any stores nearby that have it to test so I want to hear what others hear have to say.

P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by EB5AGV
I currently have a SL-88 Studio and a Yamaha MOX8 (GHS) and had a Yamaha DGX-660 (GHS) for a couple years. I find the SL-88 spongy and bouncy compared to any GHS action. And then, compared to my VPC1, it seems a toy.

So... Invest a bit more and get a better action. Your playing pleasure deserves it.

Jose

PS: I got my SL-88 Studio because it was a bargain, just 200€, but really it is not worth the retail price IMHO

Thanks for the comparison. Do you know of any other digital piano or synth workstation action that is similar to the sl88's spongy and bouncy feel?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by progpiano
Thanks for the comparison. Do you know of any other digital piano or synth workstation action that is similar to the sl88's spongy and bouncy feel?

Not really, it is distinctive of that action IMHO. I guess any instrument with Fatar TP100 action should be pretty close if not identical.

Jose

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1
...plus some other DPs, synths, controllers and VSTs

[Linked Image]
Be careful just using the shortened form "SL88", as noted above, there are two things called "SL88". One is "SL88 Studio" and one is "SL88 Grand". The latter is supposed to be considerably better than the former but it does cost twice the price.

When considering an "entry level" DP / MIDI controller I had SL88 Studio on my list originally but reviews and videos I came across suggested it wasn't great compared to competitors in that £330-£350 price bracket so I knocked it off the list. For the same kind of money you can, for example, get a Korg B2 which will not only act as a MIDI controller for VST but has a reasonable sound-engine on board within that price.

In the end I looked "above" these and mainly considered ES110 and FP-10. Bought the latter in the end because of availability and a good price (£428 on Amazon).

I would scour the net for SL88 (Studio) review articles and videos if I were you as there do seem to be questions about Fatar's build quality, esp. at the lower end. While it's true that some of their actions make it into respected designs like Nord I think the suggestion is that those manufacturers bring their own modifications to the base design.

(and no, because of Covid, I have no direct experience of using anything but FP-10 so can't tell you how anything else actually "feels", which is why I spent literally months looking at articles/videos to make a choice, because "shielding" meant I could not visit anywhere to actually try the things - but if you can that is obviously preferable if you can do it).

P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by 1903wrightflyer
Be careful just using the shortened form "SL88", as noted above, there are two things called "SL88". One is "SL88 Studio" and one is "SL88 Grand". The latter is supposed to be considerably better than the former but it does cost twice the price.

When considering an "entry level" DP / MIDI controller I had SL88 Studio on my list originally but reviews and videos I came across suggested it wasn't great compared to competitors in that £330-£350 price bracket so I knocked it off the list. For the same kind of money you can, for example, get a Korg B2 which will not only act as a MIDI controller for VST but has a reasonable sound-engine on board within that price.

In the end I looked "above" these and mainly considered ES110 and FP-10. Bought the latter in the end because of availability and a good price (£428 on Amazon).

I would scour the net for SL88 (Studio) review articles and videos if I were you as there do seem to be questions about Fatar's build quality, esp. at the lower end. While it's true that some of their actions make it into respected designs like Nord I think the suggestion is that those manufacturers bring their own modifications to the base design.

(and no, because of Covid, I have no direct experience of using anything but FP-10 so can't tell you how anything else actually "feels", which is why I spent literally months looking at articles/videos to make a choice, because "shielding" meant I could not visit anywhere to actually try the things - but if you can that is obviously preferable if you can do it).

I've actually read and watched videos on the sl88 studio and other keyboards/digital pianos. I've had a hard time finding comparisons to other keyboards though. I have my concerns about the sl88 studio. I may end up getting the fp30x. Thanks for the advice.

If it's only the key action for external sound that matters why FP-30X and not simply FP-10 ?

H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

If it's only the key action for external sound that matters why FP-30X and not simply FP-10 ?

If used for MIDI (external sound source/VSTi) only, the FP-10 suffices except when:
-> One needs better pedal capabilities (FP-10 supports only one pedal and recognizes only three positions for that pedal)
-> One would like better connectivity, for instance the built-in USB audio interface.

In those cases the FP-30X may be a better option.

Cheers and happy decision making,

HZ

P
OP Offline
P

I dont know all of the differences, but HZPiano listed some that I should think about. But also, it's hard to find an fp10 right now for the $500 price it was listed at.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission