2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
69 members (anotherscott, antune, A. Lucato, adamcz, brdwyguy, brennbaer, Alex Hutor, 12 invisible), 1,011 guests, and 487 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
J
Thank you TerminalDegree! I’ve always wanted to work with a tech just because of my love of all mechanical things and pianos. I bought a book on it not too long ago and it got real complex real fast—at least it seemed at the time. You just broke it down quite succinctly. A couple notes are definitely way out of whack as far as let off goes.

OP Online Content
For a final validation of my impressions I just visited the C. Bechstein Center in Berlin. It's an amazing big store with a huge amount of beautiful Bechstein pianos. I couldn't get my eyes off these beautiful instruments. If I just had the money... and the space... wink

I went there because I couldn't really test the loudspeakers of the GP 510 in the other store (Justmusic, I think with Thomann Europes biggest music store), because it's just too noisy there and they ask you to wear headphones if possible.

In the Bechstein Center I had all the time and calm environment I need to play on max speaker volume. I loved it. It sounded very good, especially with the "Berlin" sound. I think the speakers are optimized for the "Berlin" piano, as the "Hamburg" and "Vienna" pianos didn't sound as good, at least at max volume. I was surprised again, as I liked the sound more than of all the competitors! To me it sounded more open and natural and less boxy than even the much more expensive hybrids, with the exception of the Kawai NV-5. I asked a store employee if she can demonstrate something for me, and the Chopin piece she played sounded glorious in my ears.

I was again impressed with the excellent, smooth and delicate touch and the overall high quality feel of the keys. And now that I got used the the golden Bechstein plate in the front I also love the elegant appearance of the Instrument in the polished ebony finish. I also like that it's not as heavy as the "real" hybrids of Kawai and Yamaha and should be easier to move around if necessary.

Given these impressions and additionaly the niceness of a high big music stand (my back and neck will be grateful) and the excellent even MIDI response for Pianoteq and future VSL VST explorations wink I am sure that the Casio GP 510 will be my next instrument. It just ticks all the boxes and I like it better than all the competitors.

IF I had something to complain: An Audio Interface for playing back VSTs through the instrument with USB only would be the icing on the cake. But maybe the line in will work just fine.

Kawai VPC1 | Roland FP-30 | Pianoteq 7
P
P
I agree the Berlin sound is probably the best one. Where the Hamburg is passable. But not great. Vienna unusable.

The line in is unusable aswell. Too much static.

The piano itself is very good as a midi controller. The touch is fluid and quick. The onboard sound samples are suited to classical music. Average on modern pop. Aslong as U know what Ur buying into.

I do think the action is better than the Kawai ca99/79. What Stu Harrison from Miriam pianos YouTube channel said about the touch action is true. The perceived key depth in CA feels deeper, and the touch action on the casio to me atleast feels a tiny bit better. Very similar though. Also, the gp510 vs gp500 Action has slightly been regulated to be a little stiffer. It's been improved slightly.

Last edited by Pianowill; 07/12/21 07:28 AM.
OP Online Content
Originally Posted by Pianowill
That's a pity. But I have to be realistic - I will play mostly with headphones and that's no problem with VSTs. For the 10% non-headphone time the Berlin Grand in good enough. More than that! Very well optimized for the speakers.

The piano itself is very good as a midi controller. The touch is fluid and quick. The onboard sound samples are suited to classical music. Average on modern pop. Aslong as U know what Ur buying into.
Thanks for your assessment. That's prefect since I will play mostly classical. smile

I do think the action is better than the Kawai ca99/79. What Stu Harrison from Miriam pianos YouTube channel said about the touch action is true. The perceived key depth in CA feels deeper, and the touch action on the casio to me atleast feels a tiny bit better. Very similar though. Also, the gp510 vs gp500 Action has slightly been regulated to be a little stiffer. It's been improved slightly.
I haven't played the GP300/500 but it's good to know they improved the regulation!

I just confirmed my order! Yay! smile

H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

@eddiepiano, Thank you for another nice report!

Congratulations on reaching your decision, I wish you well with it for those projected next 10+ years!

Let us know how things turn out with your instrument once it is securely inside your home and daily reach.

Cheers and happy anticipation,

HZ

PS The 'Berlin' sound was that good because, at the time, you were in... 🥱

OP Online Content
Thank you HZPiano!

I'm glad you enjoyed my write-ups. I will report when the Casio arrives. smile

J
J
I got to play the 510 yesterday as well, but the shop was noisy and I couldn’t get any “alone time” with it to really comment on the sound. I will say that I still really enjoyed the action and I was trying to zero in on the sound and did like what I heard. It seemed like a step up from the gp 300 I had heard, but that was just from memory and these kids were sort of driving me crazy 😝 It so sad, the stock in the shop is like a third of what it was a couple years ago. Hopefully that means they’ve just sold a lot more pianos, but I suspect it means they can’t get new ones in. Possibly both. They didn’t have any of the older models or the 310. Oh, and I should add: IT’S A MASSIVE STEP UP IN EVERY WAY FROM MY P121(but the price reflects that). It definitely had me doubting my previous decision. I didn’t get to test any special features. I had just come back from a hike and noticed that the shop was actually open and this thread had me curious to confirm or deny my previous impression.

OP Online Content
Thanks for your impressions! I'm glad you liked the Casio again.

Is this also the case when using an old school MIDI Cable and Line-In cable with a separate audio interface instead of the USB cable and the headphone output of the laptop?

Last edited by eddiepiano; 07/13/21 02:27 AM.

E
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by eddiepiano
Thanks for your impressions! I'm glad you liked the Casio again.

Is this also the case when using an old school MIDI Cable and Line-In cable with a separate audio interface instead of the USB cable and the headphone output of the laptop?

I thought of that too. I think, considering the investment on a new DP, the GP510 in this case, adding $50 to buy a Roland UM-One MK II makes sense. Or (who knows?) asking to add it to the package as a gift, if the store carries this kind of accessory

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
OP Online Content
I just cancelled the order. It's not that I'm not sure about the CASIO anymore - if there is one somehow "affordable" DP I would like to buy, it's the Casio. But 4000 € is just so much money for me! And after all, although it's not perfect, the Roland FP-30 has really a nice action (for the price...). Somehow I can't justify to myself spending so much money for a... luxury item. I will look for a used Casio GP.

Last edited by eddiepiano; 07/13/21 08:23 AM.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I've got an FP-30 which I have been using for three years now. I also tried a Casio GP300 and found it's action to be the only one in a non-hybrid that clearly outperformed the action in the FP-30. But the price increase, oh the price increase from the affordable Roland to the top-of-the-line Casio. So far I have not found myself able to justify the upgrade. The FP-30 is just too darned good!

EDIT: This has turned out to be my post no. 1000. I will make myself a cup of 'Gunpowder' green tea to celebrate. smile

Last edited by QuasiUnaFantasia; 07/13/21 09:22 AM.

Roland FP-30, Roland E-28
Synthogy Ivory II Studio Grands, Production Voices Estate Grand, Garritan CFX Lite, Pianoteq 7.0 (Blüthner, Bechstein DG, Grotrian, Steinway D, K2)
OP Online Content
Thats funny, thats exactly the same feeling I have. Congrats to your 1000 posts! smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thats funny, thats exactly the same feeling I have. Congrats to your 1000 posts! smile

Thanks! smile

Roland FP-30, Roland E-28
Synthogy Ivory II Studio Grands, Production Voices Estate Grand, Garritan CFX Lite, Pianoteq 7.0 (Blüthner, Bechstein DG, Grotrian, Steinway D, K2)
A
A
I just cancelled the order. It's not that I'm not sure about the CASIO anymore - if there is one somehow "affordable" DP I would like to buy, it's the Casio. But 4000 € is just so much money for me! And after all, although it's not perfect, the Roland FP-30 has really a nice action (for the price...). Somehow I can't justify to myself spending so much money for a... luxury item. I will look for a used Casio GP.

Why not Casio GP-310 then? Exactly the same keyboard action as in GP-510. Especially since you want to use VST.

OP Online Content
That's an option too, I'm considering it.

D
D
Piano upgrades typically come at a critical stage of the player's development; or after a move. Perhaps your motivation to purchase will be much stronger then, as the investment immediately "unlocks" the promised rewards.

From time to time there might be a GP-500 on clearance (if you require ebony polish -- but they are quite rare now.

Casio GP-310
OP Online Content
You know what, feck it! I ordered the 510 now again. I can sell my Roland FP 30 with the stand and a bench for roundabout 500 to 600€ I hope, dropping the "felt" price to 3500 € for the Casio. Phew, it's complicated with me sometimes.

Last edited by eddiepiano; 07/13/21 10:37 AM.

A
A
If you do not cancel your order again, I hope to see a photo(s) of the instrument at home environment. And preferably photos that are not posted on this site, since this site no longer allows you to save photos that are not cut by resolution. Now it is no more than 800 pixels on one side. Previously, this was not the case, and photos could be uploaded in the original resolution.

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
You know what, feck it!

What does it mean, to “feck it”?

Is it anything like ‘fetch it’? If so, what are you fetching?

D
D
laugh You would not regret the purchase! When you use internal sound the top register resonance in GP-510 will shine. Also I concur the ebony polish is much more inspirational cool

HOWEVER should you decide to cancel again, take good time for due consideration -- months -- in what seems to be a typical piano search. In my case I procrastinated for over a year before finally committing -- perhaps prematurely even then...

Casio GP-310
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai upright shortage in Canada?
by DeeZee - 09/19/21 05:55 PM
Korg SV-1 Sustain Pedal problem
by Herwiberde - 09/19/21 02:46 PM
JoJo Siwa's Baldwin grand
by ShiroKuro - 09/19/21 01:50 PM
Opinions on the CA49 for classical piano music only ?
by GaiaImpact - 09/19/21 01:16 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,190
Posts3,133,566
Members102,770
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission