2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
34 members (CraiginNZ, ethanw, 36251, Falsch, AndrewJCW, Animisha, dbudde, Evgeny 85, AJB, 5 invisible), 781 guests, and 242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 5,204
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 5,204
Sounds great! I loved my used U1. When I bought it, the dealer said I could trade it in or he would buy it back when I was ready to upgrade. A couple of years later I decided to buy a used grand, and he bought back the U1 for about 60% of what I paid for it. And he came and got it for free. Maybe I could have gotten more if I had tried to sell it myself, but the convenience was worth it for me. And he has to make a profit to stay in business...

Sam


Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 1,695
W
1000 Post Club Member
Offline
1000 Post Club Member
W
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 1,695
Great news!


Kawai K-500
Casio PX-735 (in retirement)
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,048
S
1000 Post Club Member
Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,048
I agree with everyone that says go for it! There are so many people that own fancy acoustic grands that are very costly and never get used. Who cares if you're a beginner or not get what you want. I can also say that when I upgraded from a low cost keyboard to a professional one I had no regret. I have way more gear and software that is far more than I need and I'm a beginner but I don't care I love it and I use all of it nearly every day!

Joined: Aug 2020
Posts: 316
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
Joined: Aug 2020
Posts: 316
Originally Posted by rocdoc
Her name is Clara.

Have you read "Klara and the Sun" by Ishiguro ?


Life is a smorgasbord, and I want to taste everything.
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 386
S
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
S
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 386
Congratulations on the U1! For a beginner, they really are the sweet spot of price vs. quality. Regardless of where or how far your piano learning journey takes you, you can be confident you’ve spent a sensible amount of money without being ridiculously extravagant and while getting something that will be just fine at helping you to learn.


Yamaha U1. Yamaha P-45.
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,377
2000 Post Club Member
Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,377
Absolutely agree on taking the "imposter syndrome" question out of equation. Nobody has to qualify to own a piano other than simply wanting to own one.

If we only let people buy pianos who "earned" them through piano technique, there would quickly be no piano manufacturers in business. If anything, the performing artists at the top of their game RELY on most pianos being aspirational purchases.

A piano is a lovely piece of exquisite workmanship and if you want one in your home, all you need to be able to do is afford it. Your piano is for you, and you can play it with whatever skill level you have. Pianos can mean anything to you, and only you get to decide what that is.

If anything, it's an honor to the masters of the instrument to want to put the best in your home. And the more beautiful pianos in living rooms, the better. I have no problem with continuing to reinforce the idea that a stunning home is only made more stunning by the addition of a piano.

Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 982
500 Post Club Member
Offline
500 Post Club Member
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 982
Originally Posted by rocdoc
Hi everyone,
And here comes the central question of this post. I am suddenly feeling like this may not be a responsible move. I am not a good player (I can't be, given the amount I spent learning). In the store, I couldn't even play a full song (I had my Bastien classics and my Alfred and whatnot with me), because I tend to freeze when someone is listening or watching (I do much better practicing on my own of course, and I understand this is common).
So I'm feeling like this may be a frivolous expense. Like the photographer to takes out-of-focus pictures of his cat buying a Leica.
Should I just stick with what I have and learn? Or is an investment in something better justified in terms of learning the right technique, and as an investment in a hobby I am likely to stick with?
Have you dealt with this annoying feeling? I'm curious what your thought (and emotional) process has been, if you're willing to share.
Thanks!
Real good question.
Maybe ask your teacher if you're [anyone] able to realistically learn the techniques in question on the piano that you already have.
Or... is your piano going to limit you?
If not, at least you know you're buying to appease a sense of impostor syndrome or something similar.


I should've been a creditor in the 60's or so.




Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,057
R
1000 Post Club Member
Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,057
Originally Posted by piano_primo
Originally Posted by rocdoc
Hi everyone,
And here comes the central question of this post. I am suddenly feeling like this may not be a responsible move. I am not a good player (I can't be, given the amount I spent learning). In the store, I couldn't even play a full song (I had my Bastien classics and my Alfred and whatnot with me), because I tend to freeze when someone is listening or watching (I do much better practicing on my own of course, and I understand this is common).
So I'm feeling like this may be a frivolous expense. Like the photographer to takes out-of-focus pictures of his cat buying a Leica.
Should I just stick with what I have and learn? Or is an investment in something better justified in terms of learning the right technique, and as an investment in a hobby I am likely to stick with?
Have you dealt with this annoying feeling? I'm curious what your thought (and emotional) process has been, if you're willing to share.
Thanks!
Real good question.
Maybe ask your teacher if you're [anyone] able to realistically learn the techniques in question on the piano that you already have.
Or... is your piano going to limit you?
That's not how it works. The techniques he's learning can obviously be learned on a digital piano. However, they will be harder to learn and be less refined at the end of the day. The feel of acoustic pianos is different from digitals, and you will miss out on certain things if you only learn on a digital (which I did btw). If you have the option, it can speed up your progress. If you don't, it's not a deal breaker.

Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 30
M
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
M
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 30
My 2 cents...get a real piano if you can afford it and accommodate it in your residence. Life is too short to pass up the opportunity.


Kawai GX-2
Yamaha P-125
Joined: Jan 2021
Posts: 76
R
rocdoc Offline OP
Full Member
OP Offline
Full Member
R
Joined: Jan 2021
Posts: 76
Thank you everyone again. I won't be able to answer everyone individually, but I appreciate every single reply. I'll post an update once things are finalized, fingers crossed that we don't hit any unexpected bumps. @Vikendios, it's on the to-read list. But I'm apprehensive (honestly), because Ishiguro has an uncanny ability, unlike anyone else really, to get in my head and make me think and feel things I don't really want to think and feel. I'm still scarred by Never Let Me Go, years later.


Enjoying the journey and the delicious music.
U1
Joined: Aug 2020
Posts: 66
J
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
J
Joined: Aug 2020
Posts: 66
Originally Posted by rocdoc
Yamaha Arius YDP-164.
Should I just stick with what I have and learn?

I'm not at all familiar with the instrument you have, in fact I'm not a Yamaha fan at all...
As long as your instrument has at least a decent keybed with hammer action or a decent acoustic piano-like action I would stick with it and keep learning.
If not, I'd say go with something that does and keep learning.
There are a few decent-ish ones like the Nord Grand, Kaway MP11SE etc....

So the answer to your question is...definitely hold off on buying an acoustic piano.
Yes life is too short yada yada yada but your tastes and more importantly your ear will change as you progress. Hopefully you're spending some time on learning about pianos and you should absolutely learn as much as you can about pianos. You'll come to realize how different they are in terms of their construction, their action, etc.
You may find that at some point your severe like for say a Steinway kinda dissipates and you develop a weird love for a Bosendorfer or even a Yamaha laugh
You'll know when you're ready. Your question shows you're not.
Or, do what the other sheep are saying and just do it.
Neither is wrong, I just think you'll know when you know smile

PS: if you're on a budget, StudioLogic does a Grand with very decent action, for under $1000.
It's a MIDI controller though so you'll need a computer with VST's and all that stuff...

Last edited by JohnnyIssieBangie; 06/30/21 02:13 AM.
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,057
R
1000 Post Club Member
Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,057
Originally Posted by JohnnyIssieBangie
Originally Posted by rocdoc
Yamaha Arius YDP-164.
Should I just stick with what I have and learn?

I'm not at all familiar with the instrument you have, in fact I'm not a Yamaha fan at all...
As long as your instrument has at least a decent keybed with hammer action or a decent acoustic piano-like action I would stick with it and keep learning.
If not, I'd say go with something that does and keep learning.
There are a few decent-ish ones like the Nord Grand, Kaway MP11SE etc....

So the answer to your question is...definitely hold off on buying an acoustic piano.
Yes life is too short yada yada yada but your tastes and more importantly your ear will change as you progress. Hopefully you're spending some time on learning about pianos and you should absolutely learn as much as you can about pianos. You'll come to realize how different they are in terms of their construction, their action, etc.
You may find that at some point your severe like for say a Steinway kinda dissipates and you develop a weird love for a Bosendorfer or even a Yamaha laugh
You'll know when you're ready. Your question shows you're not.
Or, do what the other sheep are saying and just do it.
Neither is wrong, I just think you'll know when you know smile

PS: if you're on a budget, StudioLogic does a Grand with very decent action, for under $1000.
It's a MIDI controller though so you'll need a computer with VST's and all that stuff...
As I understand it, the model is a slightly lesser version of a Yamaha Clavinova, and is already more expensive than the one you recommend if bought new.

Joined: Jan 2021
Posts: 726
500 Post Club Member
Offline
500 Post Club Member
Joined: Jan 2021
Posts: 726
It is important to have a good piano if you want to continue years into your studies successfully. That being said, how far can one go up the line? I am of the opinion that until I can afford a really good grand and can have space for it, I'll happily select one that does not belong to the "pianos to avoid" list.

Take a look at: https://www.pianobuyer.com/digital-pianos/ and other links there. There is some valuable advice there.

That, combined with the reviews you can find here in abundance, should make you confident of your purchase.

Once bought, you yourself will know if you've grown out of it (maybe years down the road.)


A man must love a thing very much if he practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practice it without any hope of doing it well. Such a man must love the toils of the work more than any other man can love the rewards of it.
G. K. Chesterton
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,176

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member
Offline

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,176
If you have the money, don't guilt yourself out of buying a decent instrument. Most pianos are mass-produced; it's not like your purchase would keep a rare Stradivarius out of the hands of a starving virtuoso.

That said, if you're unsure about your long-term commitment to piano playing and your funds are not unlimited, you may want to be prudent about how much money to tie up in the hobby. There are some very good uprights to be had for under 10k, and decent small grands for not too much more. OTOH, if money is no object, there's almost no limit to how much you could spend. You have to figure out for yourself what your own comfort level is.


[Linked Image]

"One has to accept that to be human is to be fallible, and then do the best one can and be captured by the music."

-- Gyorgy Sebok
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,176

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member
Offline

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,176
Oops... I need to remember: RTFThread before posting.

But congratulations! The U1 is exactly the piano I had in mind when I made the post immediately above. A fine instrument that I know you'll enjoy.


[Linked Image]

"One has to accept that to be human is to be fallible, and then do the best one can and be captured by the music."

-- Gyorgy Sebok
Joined: Aug 2020
Posts: 13
S
Junior Member
Offline
Junior Member
S
Joined: Aug 2020
Posts: 13
I was on the same situation… one year of piano learning on my 25 year old Clavinova. I decided I wanted to upgrade… researched all articles about digital pianos and concluded Avantgrand was the best, except I could not stomach $8000 to $10000 expense.
I went the acoustic used route then. Budget was set to around $1000. Research and more research: may be a good vertical for that money, but not a grand… I settled (initially) for a Young Chang for $300 and I move it myself. Got it tuned it and I was all set for $450.
Then a nice Knabe piano became available I my area. I really liked and it was $1500. I worked with the piano tech, sold him my Young Chang and he brought the Knabe 6’4”.
I am supper happy.
The Knabe is not perfect, but very playable as it is…I will give it a regulation next year, and some other, I can wait and do some improvements to the piano as time goes by… but for around $2000, I got a fantastic piano.
Makes my playing happy, makes my pocket happy, my piano tech is happy (he has more business).
If I were to do it again, I will go the route of an used piano, 100%.
It requires a lot if time to learn, test, etc, but this was a very fun part as well.

Joined: Jan 2021
Posts: 76
R
rocdoc Offline OP
Full Member
OP Offline
Full Member
R
Joined: Jan 2021
Posts: 76
Thanks all. @ClsscLib, don't feel bad, the way this is set up (I always navigate by "active threads") it's hard to keep up with all the developments in a thread.
I am absolutely in love with my U1. I didn't dare make this as part of the plan, but as I kind of anticipated, my hours at the instrument have increased significantly. I just find myself craving the sound, the touch, and the interaction, in an entirely new way. I think my progress will accelerate accordingly.


Enjoying the journey and the delicious music.
U1
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 10,956
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Offline
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 10,956
Originally Posted by rocdoc
Thanks all. @ClsscLib, don't feel bad, the way this is set up (I always navigate by "active threads") it's hard to keep up with all the developments in a thread.
I am absolutely in love with my U1. I didn't dare make this as part of the plan, but as I kind of anticipated, my hours at the instrument have increased significantly. I just find myself craving the sound, the touch, and the interaction, in an entirely new way. I think my progress will accelerate accordingly.

Ah, true piano love ❤️


"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
Joined: Jan 2021
Posts: 74
K
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
K
Joined: Jan 2021
Posts: 74
I felt the exact same way after upgrading after only a few months as a complete beginner. When I upgraded, I thought... I can't even play yet why should I trade this one in already? But going from a very beginner keyboard (Alesis Pro) to the current LX705 has actually helped my learning. Being that it was much more expensive than the first one, I felt the need to practice even more to prove to myself I "deserved" the upgrade. A month after the purchase, I did have that "I just don't know if I want to keep up with this new found passion" but for me, the money I just spent was a driving force to practice and improve and I've done just that and would have very likely just sold the first one and moved on.

Last edited by KJP_65; 07/13/21 02:00 PM.

02JAN2021: Alesis Recital Pro
22FEB2021: Roland LX705
Using flowkey, Alfred's All-in-1 L1, Faber & Sight-Reading Books
Started: JAN2021 - No Prior background in Music or Piano
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,301
J
3000 Post Club Member
Offline
3000 Post Club Member
J
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,301
Nothing like the feel of a real acoustic’s meaty keys under your fingers. I think you did the right thing. Congratulations on your new piano.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Haessler
by PianistEsq - 07/06/22 12:05 AM
Garritan CFX sustain problem
by mwf - 07/05/22 11:29 PM
First digital piano for my almost 6 year-old son.
by New2music - 07/05/22 10:54 PM
What Level is this Arrangement?
by showard - 07/05/22 09:36 PM
which piano? or other options?
by NJ_Piano_Mom - 07/05/22 08:27 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,823
Posts3,205,776
Members105,732
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

 Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads



 
Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe
 
Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine


© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5