2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (amc252, brennbaer, accordeur, antune, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 9 invisible), 1,790 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 277 of 302 1 2 275 276 277 278 279 301 302
T
T
Originally Posted by Victor66
Rear speakers seem to not being overlapped by the closed music stand now.

Excellent video, and thank you! This assembly video marks the Kawai NV10S off my list, as I am looking for a digital piano that I can place in the centre of my music room. I’m surprised the back of the piano is so un-done. The Yamaha AvantGrand N1X or CVP-809 is looking like my best option.

Instruments at Home or Office | Pianos: Yamaha Clavinova CLP-795, Wurlitzer baby grand, Winter & Co. baby grand, Everett studio | Keyboards: Korg Grandstage, Roland Fantom, Yamaha PSR-275 | Organ: Lowrey Prestige
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by TexasBear
I’m surprised the back of the piano is so un-done.

Are you referring to the non-polished back panels?

If so, this was also the case for the original NV10, and I believe it is true of the AvantGrand N1X also.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
F
F
An ugly back panel is a detail that does not impact such a wonderful instrument.

Kawai NV10, Kawai MP7SE, Nord Electro 6D, Pianoteq 7 (Steinway D, Bechstein, Electric)
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by frosas
An ugly back panel is a detail that does not impact such a wonderful instrument.
+1

S
S
It does not affect the great and unique playing experience, it does not impact the good sound quality. But it significantly affects the aesthetic look of the NV10(s).

If Kawai added a decent finish on the back side, it will allow us to place the Piano in more orientations such as facing the room.

The fact that Yamaha does the same, does not make it right.

Kawai NV10
Casio AP-470
Pianoteq
R
R
Originally Posted by Seif Maher
It does not affect the great and unique playing experience, it does not impact the good sound quality. But it significantly affects the aesthetic look of the NV10(s).

If Kawai added a decent finish on the back side, it will allow us to place the Piano in more orientations such as facing the room.

buy N3X… if you want more, you need to pay more.
nv10 with polished finish in the back will still make this piano ugly from behind, it’s made for against wall placement i think…
If they make a curvy back, it will look nice but use more space… like it is, is perfect for me.

Evolution: Crappy €200 piano with termites included (1994/2001)-> Kawai CA-5 (2001/2019) -> Kawai K300 (2019)-> iphone garage band piano (2019/2021) -> Kawai NV-10S
The back looks like every upright piano ever made.
So it's as right as it gets. smile

M
M
I'm Seif and TexasBear here.
The back panel of the NV10 looks a bit disappointing for a 8k-10k€ instrument, at least in my opinion.

Since it's an esthetics opinion, noone has the right answer. I personally wouldn't mind paying a bit more for a nicer finish. The NV5 for instance is gorgeous from the back - of course thanks to the soundboard - so it's not an impossible task.
Maybe we'll see what an NV20 brings to the table 😁.

I post piano stuff on my instagram page --> https://www.instagram.com/marchelune smile
I own an old Roland FP-4, looking for a hybrid piano to upgrade to!

Current work: Chopin, Ballade no 1
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
I have a question: how many ‘uprights’ have y’all seen sitting in the middle of a room as the center-piece of a household? I’ll answer this for you, 0!

Uprights are meant to go up against a wall; heck, even the unpacking instructions clearly state this, “for optimal results please place up against a wall”.

So please go somewhere else with these non-issues because I’ve had enough of this constant bickering and nagging over nothing.

Have y’all looked at the back of a fridge? Newsflash, it’s not finished, and this is for the same reason an upright’s tushy is not finished; no one looks back there!

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Pete14
I have a question: how many ‘uprights’ have y’all seen sitting in the middle of a room as the center-piece of a household? I’ll answer this for you, 0!

Uprights are meant to go up against a wall; heck, even the unpacking instructions clearly state this, “for optimal results please place up against a wall”.

So please go somewhere else with these non-issues because I’ve had enough of this constant bickering and nagging over nothing.

Have y’all looked at the back of a fridge? Newsflash, it’s not finished, and this is for the same reason an upright’s tushy is not finished; no one looks back there!
But, an NV10 pretends to be a grand!?

Oh my! I find myself agreeing with Pete14.
"This is the big one. You hear that? I'm coming to join you, Elizabeth!"
Originally Posted by Pete14

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by spanishbuddha
But, an NV10 pretends to be a grand!?

It's a hybrid on many levels smile

Yes, the NV-10 has a true grand action. It also has a sound engine that features a premium grand.

However, one thing I recently noticed was that its design aesthetic is taken from Kawai's premium uprights. If you look at the front the piano, from the fallboard/cheek design to the front legs, they seem directly taken from the K700/K800 uprights, with silver hardware. This is IMO one of the nicest, understated contemporary stylings for an upright piano (I'm really not a fan of the accordion-foldings, gold hinge plates across the whole front kind of look on most uprights).

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
Since this is my first post here, I'll chime in with a neutral answer that while the back side of the NV 10 doesn't present anything other than what the back of an old TV, radio or other electronic device looked like, it's still not very attractive. However, I'm certain that Kawai did not intend it to be in the middle of the room.

It is, after all, an electronic instrument, which means it has a power plug, and if you don't have a floor plate in the middle of the room, then you'll be dealing with extension cords. That's a bigger problem to me.

But from my teaching days, I inherited a classroom upright that a previous soul had attached some burlap-like cloth (perhaps old-school speaker cloth?) to cover the back of the piano they had apparently found aesthetically displeasing. I didn't care either way, so I kept it on there for years. Perhaps if aesthetics is the primary reason to have a piano in the room, then some form of creative covering or even a divider shelf unit could be added to cover the offending side.

But I've had my NV10 now for about three months, sitting in the foyer against the wall, and I'd want no other piano for my daily use.

Jerry J

NV-10 (March, 2021)
Korg X-3, TR-61

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by JerryJ
Since this is my first post here...

But I've had my NV10 now for about three months, sitting in the foyer against the wall, and I'd want no other piano for my daily use.

Congrats! Welcome to PW, and to the NV-10 club wink

I'm one of the few who probably do NOT have their NV-10 directly against the wall. It's 45 degrees against a corner, but one of the walls making up the corner is a full-room-length mirror (for reasons only the previous owner of our house knows), so I get to see that glorious unfinished backside every time I sit and play. It's fine, whatever.

I have my Mac Mini mounted in such a way that look at the mirror to see the back of the piano in order to see the power-on LED of the Mac, just to make sure it's still running, before I sit down to play.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
Since this is my first post here, I'll chime in with a neutral answer that while the back side of the NV 10 doesn't present anything other than what the back of an old TV, radio or other electronic device looked like, it's still not very attractive. However, I'm certain that Kawai did not intend it to be in the middle of the room.

Hello Jerry, welcome to the forum!

I do recall an NV10 customer who covered the backpanels with a gloss black material, creating a polished look. This could be an option for customers who require such an aesthetic in order to place the instrument in their home.

Kind regards,
James
x

Originally Posted by Marchelune
The NV5 for instance is gorgeous from the back - of course thanks to the soundboard...

Note that the black panel above the NV5/NV5S soundboard uses the same finish as the NV10/NV10S.

Kind regards,
James
x

Thanks to Gombessa and James for your welcomes!

I bought the NV10 as a retirement present to myself, wanting a digital with the best "feel" and finding the NV-10 the closest to what I was looking for. As so many others have said, (wow that took a LOT of reading to be able to say), it really came down to Kawai vs Yamaha, and while I was actually quite surprised when I tried out the N1X as not being as bad to play on as the old Motif line and the various Clavinovas I've had to deal with in my various venues, but it still felt less of what I wanted than what the Kawai touch offered. When I played with that action, I felt like I'd come home.

Mind you, I've played many of the great acoustical pianos over the years, with my sensual favorites being my teacher's Schimmel back in the 70s, and more recently a 6'2" Bluthner which I played on nearly every day for the last 32 years. Of course, a Bosendorfer Imperial Grand was also a buttery delight, (which I got to play while accompanying a contralto for the Met Auditions) but that thing's just too big! Bottom line, I like lighter actions (versus the heavier one of Steinway products, for example) and I've always enjoyed playing Japanese grands in general (if they've been well maintained). The Novus NV-10 just feels good under my fingers.

I'm happy to say that my unit came with firmware 1.02m and I've had none of the issues you earlier adopters had to work through, including pedal spring tension, speaker buzzes and so on. Having retired to the Pacific Northwest (Washington) in November, I found very few dealers who could offer one and had to wait about two months for one nearby to get their own floor model to try out. My order took almost exactly two months to arrive after I purchased it, but part of that was probably due to the seaport tie-up experienced all along the West Coast (US) during that time.

Two muscular movers brought it from the store, where they'd assembled it and checked it out first. The first thing that struck me is that this is NOT a simple piano to move. I'm not sure the case designers thought much about how the instrument might be moved around, which is a shame from my former standpoint as a teacher. But it's a moot point for me now: the instrument, as I said in my earlier post, resides in the foyer in an alcove alongside a staircase and will likely stay there forever.

Yes, I might've been able to fit a baby grand in there, but I live with my daughter's family now and it was imperative that I have an instrument I could play on at any time of day or night without disturbing the family.

As a former church organist, I echo the sentiments of those complaining about the settings preferences. Organ registration with pistons is simply the best way to set up a complex instrument the way you want it, and I, too, wonder why a UI model like that, which has been around for generations in the organ world (pipe organs do it, too!), is roundly ignored by digital piano makers. You don't need the actual pistons, of course, but having settings that map to specific registers in memory, that can be isolated and changed directly, is easily done in digital programming and shouldn't require more than a moment's thought to reset by the performer.

Nevertheless, I also appreciate that the setting presets that are installed are sufficiently diverse that you can hear (and feel) significant differences in the range of possibilities programmed into the system, and since I intend to also interface with my DAW, I'm pleased so far at just how clean the sound comes through the audio chain.

As to the thread about slow-fall fallboards, all I can say is that more than once I ruined a recording take when the fallboard on the Bluthner was accidentally slammed close, as well as occasionally ruining a prayerful moment in church when the same thing happened there. I, too, have a 3-year-old (grandson) who has already slammed the lid of the piano bench on his fingers but besides that, there really is a real-world value to having a slow-fall lid.

I also like the music desk on the NV-10. Uprights with the music holder that folds out of the fallboard are the worst, and the wire-backed ones on stage pianos are not much better. I write music at the piano, so I need a flexible-angled desk that's sufficiently strong to stand up to Beethoven-like angry erasures as well as multiple (note)books and scores sitting there at once. I preferred the Kawai desk to the Yamaha desk, too. Slightly larger overall, multiple angles and sturdy, with the hinges butted onto the back side - they did it right! Even full-sized grands, with their little cabinet hinges often attached in front don't hold up without great care being exercised.

Jerry J

NV-10 (March, 2021)
Korg X-3, TR-61

Yes, Kawai knows how to make a good music desk. Here's my old Kawai upright.

[Linked Image]

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Thanks to Gombessa and James for your welcomes!

I bought the NV10 as a retirement present to myself, wanting a digital with the best "feel" and finding the NV-10 the closest to what I was looking for....

That was an interesting read. Thanks for sharing.

Enjoy your family, the NV10, and retirement.

God Bless,
David

S
S
Originally Posted by rafaelzb

If Kawai added a decent finish on the backside, it will allow us to place the Piano in more orientations such as facing the room.

buy N3X… if you want more, you need to pay more.
nv10 with polished finish in the back will still make this piano ugly from behind, it’s made for against wall placement i think…
If they make a curvy back, it will look nice but use more space… like it is, is perfect for me.

I just like the Kawai action much much much more than any other action.

Actually, the only piano action that I liked a little bit better than the Kawai NV10 was a $200k Bluthner. smile

I agree, if I want more, I pay more. I just think that a better finish on the back will be a marginal upcharge, not something that would put the NV10 on a different price category.

And to put things in perspective, I don't mean to be complaining or nagging.
Buying the Kawai NV10 is one of the best things I have ever done to myself. I am so happy with it, and if time goes back, I would do the exact same thing.
I am a happier person because I get to play on the NV10 every evening. It's a blessing that I am so grateful for.

But yet, there can be a few things that I wish there were added, to make it even better and even closer to being 100% perfect.
I am planning to play with some friends who play guitar, drums, sax,... It would be nice if I was facing them and able and interact with them without twisting my neck.

Have a good day everyone.

Last edited by Seif Maher; 07/14/21 07:40 AM.

Kawai NV10
Casio AP-470
Pianoteq
Page 277 of 302 1 2 275 276 277 278 279 301 302

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,244
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission