2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 11 invisible), 1,867 guests, and 330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 12 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by Sweelinck
Originally Posted by Jethro
What I don’t understand is why people’s worlds fall apart if someone considers themselves a beginner even if they do attempt to play more advanced pieces. Based upon the recent posts in this thread you can’t win regardless of what you do. As a few have been saying it’s all relative. When compared to the concert pianist teachers I work with personally I absolutely consider myself a beginner just starting out my piano journey.

Surely it must be clear to you that you are not answering the OP's question.
Of course it's related to the OP's question. Discussing what beginner means is a part of answering when you are "beyond" it. What kind of narrow, straightjacketed response would you want instead?

S
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Originally Posted by ranjit
What I don’t understand is why people’s worlds fall apart if someone considers themselves a beginner even if they do attempt to play more advanced pieces. Based upon the recent posts in this thread you can’t win regardless of what you do. As a few have been saying it’s all relative. When compared to the concert pianist teachers I work with personally I absolutely consider myself a beginner just starting out my piano journey.

Of course it's related to the OP's question. Discussing what beginner means is a part of answering when you are "beyond" it. What kind of narrow, straightjacketed response would you want instead?

Per his post, the OP had the answer he needed on July 6th

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by dogperson

Surely you realize that the majority of this thread is not answering the OPs question.
Yes.

Reading Piano World with Javascript turned off (no logins, no ads, fast response times). I will receive PMs.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Per his post, the OP had the answer he needed on July 6th
Pish posh, when has that ever stopped us? 😂😂😂

Cunningham Studio grand; Yamaha CLP-645 Clavinova
E
E
9 Pages of discussion on such a silly question.

W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
I was thinking...by the time this thread comes to a natural end, I might be an intermediate by then. wink

And then someone might start a thread on when are you beyond intermediate, which I think is an even more difficult question to answer.

Last edited by WeakLeftHand; 07/09/21 05:17 PM.

Kawai K500
J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by ErfurtBob
Come to think of it. It was kind of silly! LOL. I got involved in it because I remember someone getting so bent out of shape a few months back because I called myself a beginner. So I took the opportunity to try explain myself, but I forgot that thorough responses are sort of taboo on PW.

Last edited by Jethro; 07/09/21 05:30 PM.
Online Content
Originally Posted by ErfurtBob
Come to think of it. It was kind of silly! LOL. I got involved in it because I remember someone getting so bent out of shape a few months back because I called myself a beginner. So I took the opportunity to try explain myself, but I forgot that thorough responses are sort of taboo on PW.
If there ever was a good reason to get "bent out of shape" as you so snarkly put it, it's when someone playing a Chopin Ballade calls themself a beginner. A statement very few people would agree is reasonable. But you stubbornly stick with it.

Online Content
The critical question is "When are you no longer a pre-beginner?

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
The ABF survey had absolute beginner and advanced beginner. The plot thickens ...

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by WeakLeftHand
I was thinking...by the time this thread comes to a natural end, I might be an intermediate by then. wink

laugh laugh laugh

And then someone might start a thread on when are you beyond intermediate, which I think is an even more difficult question to answer.

Ohhhhh Nooooooooo..... cry

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I'm wondering when will I no longer be an idiot? 😂

Cunningham Studio grand; Yamaha CLP-645 Clavinova
Originally Posted by ebonyk
I'm wondering when will I no longer be an idiot? 😂

When you stop reading this thread!

I also think, the RCM/ABRSM levels are a good indicator.

But for those of us, that don't do this method of learnig, there are 10 other indicators telling you ARE a beginner:

- you are afraid of black keys
- your parents are the only one giving you compliments
- your dog leaves the room when you play
- your neighbours are very often on holidays
- mirrors and window glass crack when you practise
- your youtube vid gets more downvotes than upvotes
- milk turns in the fridge
- your neighbours are moving out
- you have problems with counting

Self teaching Adult Beginner without method | Kawai CN29, Senn HD560s, Casio CT-S1
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
I'm terrified!!!!

I died last week. cry When I got to the Pearly Gates, Saint Peter said I had to go back and do Penance. Specifically, he said I had to read this thread. I'm afraid I must have done something really horrible that I had forgotten about. Now, I don't want to face what awaits me when I go back. shocked

So, PLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASE everyone, keep being offended, and keep posting! whistle

Ralph

Kawai VPC1
Garritan CFX
Pianist since April, 2015
J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
Sigh, I see it’s time for a philosophical interlude as it appears a few minds are already deteriorating.

Let’s ponder a moment the wisdom of “Shoshin”. Shoshin is a word from Zen Buddhism meaning "beginner's mind." It refers to having an attitude of openness, eagerness, and lack of preconceptions when studying a subject, even when studying at an advanced level, just as a beginner would. The phrase is also discussed in the book Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind by Shunryu Suzuki, a Zen teacher. Suzuki outlines the framework behind shoshin, noting "in the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, in the expert's mind there are few." -Wikipedia

Here’s further wisdom on the matter as it applies to music. https://www.nodeadguys.com/a-piano-blog/5-ways-musicians-can-develop-a-beginners-mind

This particular quote from that article seem’s pertinent to this thread: “If we want to know whether or not we approach music with a “beginner’s mind,” all we have to do is look at the rest of our lives. Are we quick to judge? Do we live our lives by a rigid code? How do we relate to people who are different than we are? Are we capable of a “live and let live” attitude toward ourselves and others? Because here’s the truth: if we can’t be open to new ideas and differing opinions away from the keyboard, we’ll bring that rigid way of thinking right into our music.”

So food for thought, perhaps one suck’s at piano because one is already a goddamn expert and can’t see all the possibilities? Are you open to new ideas and differing opinions? Looking at some of these posts makes me kind of wonder tsk tsk.

To the OP. Do you really want to get beyond beginner?

Last edited by Jethro; 07/10/21 03:31 AM.
S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Jethro
Why don’t you apply whatever level you desire to yourself, but please stop the posts that will inflame this thread to continue. It is time to stop.

I honestly find you questioning whether the OP wants to get beyond beginner condescending and inappropriate.

If you had kept up with what he is doing, and actually listened to some of his recording, you would know that he is progressing. And yes, he is new to piano, but has a positive attitude and a good work ethic.

J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
Jethro
Why don’t you apply whatever level you desire to yourself, but please stop the posts that will inflame this thread to continue. It is time to stop.

I honestly find you questioning whether the OP wants to get beyond beginner condescending and inappropriate.

If you had kept up with what he is doing, and actually listened to some of his recording, you would know that he is progressing. And yes, he is new to piano, but has a positive attitude and a good work ethic.
And if you’ve read my posts directly to him in the past year I’ve been nothing but supportive and encouraging as I am with all “beginners”. I’ve always been excited for him and anyone just getting started in this wonderful journey. I’ve noticed you pop up from time to time with no other purpose than to try to be condescending particularly to me but I just put up with it. What I wrote in the last post is something you should really try to digest. You really need to stop policing posts. Join the conversation if you want. Debate if you want. But inflaming is exactly the thing I see you doing here. No need to be difficult. No one needs to be that way. It’s just the piano. How can we be arguing about the piano?

Last edited by Jethro; 07/10/21 04:00 AM.
S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Jethro

And if you’ve read my posts directly to him in the past year I’ve been nothing but supportive and encouraging as I am with all “beginners”. I’ve noticed you pop up from time to time with no other purpose than to try to be condescending particularly to me but I just put up with it. What I wrote in the last post is something you should really try to digest.

Digest your ‘tsk ’ ‘Tsk’ to other forum members? No thanks. I’m progressing just fine at piano without your words of wisdom.

J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
Jethro

And if you’ve read my posts directly to him in the past year I’ve been nothing but supportive and encouraging as I am with all “beginners”. I’ve noticed you pop up from time to time with no other purpose than to try to be condescending particularly to me but I just put up with it. What I wrote in the last post is something you should really try to digest.

Digest your ‘tsk ’ ‘Tsk’ to other forum members? No thanks. I’m progressing just fine at piano without your words of wisdom.
Well then I see the message got across to one of the right persons. I read your posts. I like them. You offer a lot of good info and they are interesting. I’m always kind to you. Can you be the same to me?

Page 9 of 12 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission