2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
68 members (c++, 36251, anotherscott, bwv872, Carey, accordeur, Andrew_G, 14 invisible), 819 guests, and 436 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
OP Offline
D
In case there is a (probably wealthy?) collector among us, the Chick Corea mailing list just announced that all of his instruments are going up for auction, a unique opportunity

2 Yamaha Motif 8 synthesizers, two (or three, I did not get it) Yamaha KX5, a Vantage Vibe Electric Piano (similar to the Fender Rhodes) and his personal Yamaha CFlllS 9 ft. Concert Grand.

https://www.guernseys.com/v2/century_music.html

Hope it's ok to mention it here, I have no interest in this transition (other than I like the fact that the proceedings will go to preserve his musical legacy)

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Yes, you're paying a premium for instruments that belonged to a legend. I'm a bit surprised to see Gayle, his wife, put all of these on the market so soon after his passing.

On the other hand I told my wife, if I get hit and killed on my bike by some speeding maniac, by all means sell the D and the rest of my stuff the next day.

There's also his '73 Rhodes suitcase. God only knows what kind of shape that's in. They can be restored quite nicely of course but at a substantial cost.

The Vintage Vibe is a super nice EP. But they don't cost that much if you buy direct from the factory.

I thought he had the newer CFX, not the CF III. In any case, again you'll be paying a premium for it being a collector instrument.

I'm still reeling from his passing in Feb. As a long time idol, I'm still having a hard time processing the fact that he's gone. frown

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
His Rhodes piano was sampled by Yamaha and is offered freely for some of their workstations and synths. It’s wonderful! I use it on my MODX and to my ears it’s just sublime. As a matter of fact I use the MODX 90% of the time as a Rhodes board and if it wasn’t for the optional Rhodes library that can be installed, I may have sold the MODX. I think I read somewhere that Rhodes was regularly maintained by his technician and also before the sampling session, so it may actually be still in a very good condition.

Chick is absolutely my jazz hero! My interest in jazz started with me hearing his Expressions solo album for GRP. It’s still one of my all time favorite albums and I listen to it regularly. I purchased four transcribed pieces from Expressions two weeks ago and I may record some in a tribute to the big piano master soon.

Last edited by CyberGene; 07/07/21 03:23 PM.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
D
OP Offline
D
I second everything you said, and especially these:

Originally Posted by Dave Ferris
I'm a bit surprised to see Gayle, his wife, put all of these on the market so soon after his passing.

I'm still reeling from his passing in Feb. As a long time idol, I'm still having a hard time processing the fact that he's gone. frown

In fact I just listened to the recording of one of his live concerts which I bought in 2020 from his store. He talks about various things in between pieces. I was following his youtube appearances and in late 2020 I was mulling to subscribe to his live class (even though I am too poor of a pianist for that). He was so energetic and enthusiastic. He was on travel on a concert series when COVID stroke and delayed some of the concerts because of the pandemic. I was looking forward to seeing one of those concerts in persons. Hard to believe none of that is possible anymore and that he went away so fast. Perhaps a reminder to everybody to do what we want until we can.

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by CyberGene
I think I read somewhere that Rhodes was regularly maintained by his technician and also before the sampling session, so it may actually be still in a very good condition.

You're probably right in that he kept it in tip top shape. I know when he lived here in LA for a long time, the vintage instrument guru guy, Ken Rich, kept his rhodes in primo shape.

He bought the Vintage Vibe for that marathon eight week run at the Blue Note club in NYC a few years back, celebrating his 75th birthday. And probably other selective concert dates in the US. The VV was more schlep friendly then his old suitcase.

Last edited by Dave Ferris; 07/07/21 03:38 PM.
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I’ve been tempted to order a VV piano on a few occasions already. Sight unseen. Directly from the US. Paying import duties. But I may face a divorce already… 😢

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I'm not enamored of items once owned by someone famous.

It means much more to me that I saw him in concert (with Little Feat, long ago).

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
I don't know what any of the instruments will fetch ... have they put prices on them? Or is it a true auction?

For comparison, the late Bob Berg's Selmer Mark VI tenor sax is for sale at Roberto's in NYC for $75,000.00. Had it not been owned by Bob, its worth is about $8,000.00.

I too am not OK with no more Chick. I finally met him several times in NYC and LA after trying for decades. In fact, he heard me play and told me he really liked my playing, especially my tone (which on sax, is a HUGE compliment)!

On our first meeting, I told him that I had actually been listening to him longer than I had played saxophone - and that that began in 1973 .... He put his hands over his heart and said that meant the world to him. Amazing!

Selmer Mark VI Tenor (‘73) & Alto Sax (‘57), Yamaha YSS-62 Soprano Sax (‘87), Conn Naked Lady Baritone Sax (‘52), Conn New Wonder Tenor & Alto Sax (‘24), Yamaha WX5 Wind Synth (‘13), Kawai MP11 & ES-110, Numa Compact 2x, Casio PX5S, Roland VR-09, Hammond E-112 (‘69).
J
J
such a loss - still

lovely story. those are some fantastic memories for you

thanks for sharing

Last edited by jackopiano; 07/11/21 10:46 PM.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I wonder what became of his 1970s Minimoog and ARP Odyssey.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Sustain/Sostenuto Pedal issues
by Lance Jensen - 09/17/21 04:49 PM
Upgrade to Used Upright or Advanced Digital Piano?
by Connor5522 - 09/17/21 03:44 PM
Bronzing Powder Mixing Turning Yellow Gold into Deep Gold
by Chernobieff Piano - 09/17/21 03:18 PM
Kawai NV5 Or NV10?
by Tenor1 - 09/17/21 02:53 PM
Mic + subwoofer for an acoustic piano?
by WinstonSmith - 09/17/21 02:25 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,161
Posts3,133,121
Members102,761
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission