2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
82 members (c++, 36251, accordeur, anotherscott, Andrew_G, Chris Pringle, brdwyguy, 17 invisible), 798 guests, and 468 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3134757 07/05/21 12:01 PM
D
OP Offline
D
Hi All -

Do people have experience with the acoustic piano sounds on the Kurzweil PC4? The Kurzweil SP6 ?

I need a great sounding digital piano that is light for use at various gigs ...

Thanks !

Dan

D
D
I have a PC4 (and previously an SP6)...same piano sounds between these two. The PC4 provides after-touch.
I think the sounds are very good. One of my references...my KAWAI RX-7 Artist grade acoustic grand.

...I've owned a variety of other keyboards (Rolands, Korg, Casio, Yamaha). I'm very happy with Kurzweil PC4, not just for piano, but for it's extensive flexibility and sound collection.

For live performance, many keyboards have pianos...the catch is the sound system you play it through.
...I still haven't found the best sound system yet.. to my liking...

A percentage of players have a degree of concern regarding the keybed action (on any board). A lot of that is personal preference. I wander around some 4+ years before honing in on the Acoustic grand (Kawai noted above), that had the best combination of response, keyboard action and overall sound. The PC4 does have a very large amount of keyboard touch options. 10 velocity layers, and 7 pressure map adjustments. Between the two, fuzzy math indicates 70 total combinations - many of them would not be suitable for piano performance, but more than enough.

A demo of Kurzweil PC4 piano sounds

In addition to the on-board sounds provided...there are scores of legacy Kurzweil piano sounds (previous version boards) that could be loaded as well as 3rd party products.

A
A
What's good about Kurzweil APs is how well they sound in live gig situations, at least that's my experience. To be precise the last I used in such scenario was Artis/SP5 era. You can have multigigabyte piano library with complex sound, but when played live, especially in 'mono' situation, sound complexity it's not what matters the most.

As for the new key action used in SP6 or PC4 I only once tried it in shop. Not something Kawai MP11-level, but it does it's job and is pleasant to play with.

Ars non habet osorem nisi ignorantem
D
OP Offline
D
Anybody have experience with the Roland RD-88 ? How good do the acoustic pianos sound mono and how close are they to the RD-800 acoustic pianos , the RD-2000 acoustic pianos ?

I’ve owned a Kurzweil Forte and gigged it full on for 4 years. It’s pianos worked very well for both live and studio. The PC4 has inherited the majority of these albeit the big pianos are cut down to fit.
I also own an RD2000 and an PX5S. Much as I like the Vpiano, I don’t like the Roland’s piano sounds live unless I’m using IEM. The PX5S on the other hand works fine in most live situations, it comes across as both solid and meaty, cutting through nicely. It’s a great gigging board. You just have to be careful with the internal gain staging otherwise it can overload the internal bus and distort the sound.

My favourite though was the Kawai MP7se which is a great piano anywhere. And it has a reasonable set of supporting sounds and midi controller facilities.

Piano Journey: 1930's Upright> Rhodes Mk2 73> Wurly EP200> Gebauhr 1905 6' Grand> Yamaha P250> Roland RD700SX,RD700GX> Nord Stage 2 HA88> Roland RD800> CASIO PX5s & Kurzweil Forte & Kawai MP7SE> Kronos 2 61, Roland RD2000
F
F
I have a PC4 and an RD88. Love ‘em both. Great sounds, great keybeds.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Sustain/Sostenuto Pedal issues
by Lance Jensen - 09/17/21 04:49 PM
Upgrade to Used Upright or Advanced Digital Piano?
by Connor5522 - 09/17/21 03:44 PM
Bronzing Powder Mixing Turning Yellow Gold into Deep Gold
by Chernobieff Piano - 09/17/21 03:18 PM
Kawai NV5 Or NV10?
by Tenor1 - 09/17/21 02:53 PM
Mic + subwoofer for an acoustic piano?
by WinstonSmith - 09/17/21 02:25 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,160
Posts3,133,112
Members102,761
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission