2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
39 members (Andre Fadel, BWV846, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 11 invisible), 1,180 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
A
A
I have a D too. Always having work done on it by an excellent technician. I’m just a life-long piano lover and practice about an hour every day - all classical. I’m always dissatisfied with the D - uneven tone, unisons always out, but it doesn’t lose pitch because I’m ocd about heat/humidity. Been together 54 yrs! One thing to have technician check on yours: make sure the hammers are evenly striking all 2-3 strings simultaneously. Your tones make me think of that. Also, don’t know about your situation, but mine is in a large living room, plaster ceiling. We may be hearing sounds at home that would not sound the same on a concert stage. ?? Ron

R.M. Walford
E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
I suggest hiring an independent technician who is skilled in tone regulation to inspect the piano and report the finding only to you.

I also strongly recommend that you have the tech test the V-bar for hardness and shape. The V-bar should not have any case hardening and should be a true V-shape in profile with a 1mm wide string contact area.

You might not think you have problems but improperly shaped and configured V-bars severely limit treble tone quality and string longevity. The problems often take several years to fully manifest but can present immediately by pinched tone and chiming like string noises.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
O
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by BDB
Tuning seemed okay

Hm, must be my ears then. This pair of old membranes tells me that basically every unison has uneven harmonics. Listen to the 10ths - all of them wobble at different frequencies.

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by OE1FEU
Originally Posted by BDB
Tuning seemed okay

Hm, must be my ears then. This pair of old membranes tells me that basically every unison has uneven harmonics. Listen to the 10ths - all of them wobble at different frequencies.

No, I thought the same thing. The tuning sounded like it might have been done a few weeks ago. It wasn't massively out, but it wasn't freshly done either. The tone was awful as was the lack of sustain on all the notes. Maybe it was just the way it was recorded, but it sounded like it was a much smaller piano than a brand new 9' concert grand.

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
I just said it was okay, meaning that it was adequate to do some preliminary diagnostics. Other things need to be done before one should worry about improving the tuning.

A long time ago someone here said that 90% of all tuning problems are voicing, and 90% of all voicing problems are tuning.

Semipro Tech
P
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
P
The raw basics that must first be satisfied are: good solid fresh tuning, good mating of hammers to strings, and good regulation paying particular attention to eveness of let-off. After all this is done, begin judging the voicing. Don't put the cart before the horse.

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by P W Grey
The raw basics that must first be satisfied are: good solid fresh tuning, good mating of hammers to strings, and good regulation paying particular attention to eveness of let-off. After all this is done, begin judging the voicing. Don't put the cart before the horse.

Peter Grey Piano Doctor
Peter - FWIW, I think you're spot-on.

That said, I wish there was some standardization about what goes into a "voicing" job, a "regulation" job.

As example, I would think that mating hammers to the strings is an essential part of voicing, or at least checking to verify that if this had been done in the past, the hammers are still hitting square on, etc.

Would you consider string leveling to be a separate job, or is that part of "mating the hammers to the strings"?
And so forth.

As to "judging the voicing", are you using that term (perhaps somewhat narrowly) to describe just the treatment of the hammers? Listening to the recording, I heard what I heard - the unevenness, the differing tonal qualities from note to note in the same parts of the piano. I would have called those "voicing" problems. As to the specific issue: strings not level, hammers not hitting squarely, shoulders too hard, shoulders too soft, etc - the diagnosis and treatment would have fallen under the "voicing" umbrella for me.

Just askin'.

Andrew Kraus, Pianist
Educated Amateur Tuner/Technician
I Make Music that Lifts People Up & Brings Them Together
Rockville, MD USA
www.AndrewKraus.com
www.YouTube.com/RockvillePianoGuy
Twitter at @IAmAPianist

1929 Steinert 6'10" (Close copy of New York S&S "B")
G
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
G
Getting the typical SSD concert ready involves at a minimum all of the things mentioned and more.
A few things that cause tone issues are: Poor bridge work, if bridge pins are lose or the the bridge pins are slightly forward or behind the notch it will be almost impossible to tune a perfect unison.
Soundboard issues tend to be the norm for D’S and there are techniques to help compensate or disguise power and sustain related issues.
Agraffes: many times are not machined correct either leaving burrs inside or the holes are uneven causing string leveling issues.
Leveling the strings simply means bending them and can cause unwanted noise.
Scaling issues make it difficult to voice across the lo-tenor upper bass break.
At times I have noticed that when tuning, either the left string of a unison especially in the treble go out or the right string. I believe the bridge rolls slightly due to moisture content changes.
It’s a constant battle.

Last edited by Gene Nelson; 07/01/21 11:15 AM.

x-rpt
retired ptg member
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Gene Nelson
It’s a constant battle.

I would prefer a low-maintenance piano, if such a thing exists.

Is there a piano brand that is more reliable than Steinway?

For example, Bosendorfer VC or Yamaha CFX?

O
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
O
There is no low-maintenance concert grand that deserves that name, no matter the brand.

Even if you play it only once a week for a couple of minutes, there is wear and tear on a microscopic level every time you play a single note. Fibres in the hammers get slightly compressed and change the hammer's structure, slight changes in temperature and humidity affect all parts of the action and the acoustic assembly. A really decent concert grand that is used for performances and recordings is in constant maintenance mode, even if it is not played.

And maintaining a concert grand to the highest possible standards is Work In Progress by definition. A decent concert technician will go through a long set of check boxes after and before every single concert, just like the pre-flight check in a jet fighter. And the very minute such a plane leaves the tarmac and is parked in its hangar, a maintenance crew will start working on it.

If I had a concert grand in my home, I'd put aside an annual budget of at least 4000 USD just for maintenance and have a regular schedule of getting a concert technician over every 6 weeks or so. Otherwise I'd feel that I've wasted money on never fully exposing the full potential of the piano and keeping it there at all times.

B
BDB Offline
B
Most of the concert artists I know cannot afford that sort of service, nor most of the venues. The people who can afford it do not necessarily have the time nor the inclination to get it done, even if they play well enough to merit it, and those who do not play well enough to merit it vastly outnumber the those who do. It is not just the client's time which is limited. There are not a lot of techs who do decent work on pianos, and those who may not have the time to be at one's beck and call. That is true of a lot of professions. I went to a very good dentist yesterday. I schedule with him two check-ups in advance.

Steinways hold up to concert service comparably to most other concert pianos, once they have been set up properly. But they are not always set up properly. On the other hand, even the best pianos do not maintain their setup if the maintenance is not done. You should strike a compromise between ideals and practicality. It is okay to have ideals, but the real world tends to stand between you and your ideals.

Semipro Tech
P
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
P
There is a widespread belief that the bigger the piano the better, period. This is not categorically true. Concert instruments are intended for the concert stage, not the recording studio, not the home. They are DESIGNED to be heard best from at least 20-30 feet away and more. At that distance one cannot hear it's noisy dampers, less than perfect scale design, treble false beats, etc etc.

There are plenty of 7-8' instruments available that are far more suited to the home environment. I would suggest that the OP consider some of these. Clearly money is no object. There are some truly fantastic instruments out there better than what's being considered. IMHO only.

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
BDB, define what you mean by a properly set up concert grand

fine grand piano custom rebuilding, piano technician and tuner
G
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
G
The better rebuilders know how to eliminate or greatly reduce many of the stated problems and more and deliver a much more stable instrument. Better looking too.

x-rpt
retired ptg member
O
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
O
Doctor Peter,

I disagree. If what you say were true, all recordings of concert grands would be done with microphones that far away and in a big hall with lots of natural reverb and ambience. Clearly this is not the case. And there many fantastic recordings out there done in a studio environment with microphones really close to the piano in order to avoid too much reverb from the hall.

Piano technicians with lots experience are easily capable of adapting a concert grand's characteristic to a person's home, including advice on what to change in a room in terms of furniture, carpets etc.

Nevertheless: I would actually prefer recordings the way you describe, alas, this hardly ever happens.

E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
I have never like the sound of concert grands in small room. The large sound source of a 9' soundboard with close reflecting surfaces never sounds even. One can shift their body position on the bench while playing and certain notes will change in volume.

There is no practical way around this as no one wants to live in an anechoic room.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
P
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
P
My comments are not to be construed as universal and non-negotiable. But as a general rule, unless one has a truly huge room to put it in, there is likely to be some disappointment. That said, not all D's are corn for the stage and their tonal signature may be more suited to a small(er) environment. These things are relative.

But the idea that "bigger is better" is also relative.

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
B
BDB Offline
B
Originally Posted by WilliamTruitt
BDB, define what you mean by a properly set up concert grand

Regulated, tuned, voiced.

Semipro Tech
P
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by P W Grey
not all D's are corn for the stage

Correction: not all D's are cut out for the stage. I don't know where "corn" came from.

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
O
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by Beemer
I meant to add that ortf was designed for recording orchestra and wide groups. It is not optimum for close miking as there is a risk of a stereo 'hole in the middle'. I suggest using ortf with the mics at least three feet from the piano. Also ortf was designed for use with small not large mic capsules to avoid sound colouration from off axis sound.
Ian

I use ORTF all the time and I am really happy with that kind of living room sound:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-gOTs30LisleWpivsDe1JimbllV66YnJ/view?usp=drivesdk

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission