2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, 10 invisible), 2,116 guests, and 332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
F
F
My parents own a Yamaha Silent Grand. If you switch that from normal to silent there is barely a noticable difference if you just play single notes. It becomes more noticable when you play longer and with lot's of sustain etc. but my dad says it's very close to the real thing.

peterws Offline OP
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Originally Posted by FloRi89
My parents own a Yamaha Silent Grand. If you switch that from normal to silent there is barely a noticable difference if you just play single notes. It becomes more noticable when you play longer and with lot's of sustain etc. but my dad says it's very close to the real thing.

Now that's very interesting, Flo. The complexity of sound is in the sustain, resonances and clatter of the keys etc. and is more difficult to reproduce.
Would you consider the key noise, when on silent, to be noticeable?
And also, when playing in silent, do you still feel you're playing a "proper" piano?

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
F
F
Originally Posted by peterws

Now that's very interesting, Flo. The complexity of sound is in the sustain, resonances and clatter of the keys etc. and is more difficult to reproduce.
And also, when playing in silent, do you still feel you're playing a "proper" piano?

I don't play this piano very often, I'll ask my Dad tonight. To me it feels the same, not matter if I play it on silent or loud. First I wasn't sure if it's even set to silent, they have some nice open back headphones and the illusion is pretty good with the binaural samples.

The key noise is noticable because of the open back headphones, but not as prominent as when you play normally. With closed back you probably wouldn't hear anything. I don't think that Yamaha samples the key noice, I'm not sure though I have to check. They have some resonance modeling technology, but there you can definitly hear a difference if you listen closely.

Also what I noticed is that you have to turn down the reverb, or set it to room or something. If you play on the piano and then switch to silent with a massive reverb it definitly breaks the illusion. So if you want it to be as close as possible you have to keep the reverb to something that makes sense in the room you sit in.

peterws Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by potatoooFR
You haven't actually answered the question yet . . . but it doesn't really matter. I have received what I wanted. The rest is up to me!

if you are only looking for answer to your question "is there someone owned both an AP and DP or VST, and tune DP or VST to identify the gap between his/her AP to the tuned DP", no I did not do that, but apparently that Yamaha is doing that and advertising their sampling technology on their recent generations of DPs.

but again, the real and useful answer is - as a manufacturer Yamaha already gave you the answer: they did that, and it is proven fact that users start to migrate to Yamaha DPs. So what other better proof you need for the answer?

BTW, the there is no "90% the same" that can be defined in a linear or log scale. The only way is by verifying whether users accept to swap from AP to DP at the similar price. Today users are willing to use similar price to buy a DP => this already proves by market that "yes it is almost the same and the difference can be ignored".

People can always claim the rest of the difference weight >10% or >50%; this is personal-weighting function so it is not universally useful. Anyway it's personal choice and it's a free world.

It isn't a free world! whoever told you that? frown
But there are those amongst us who can quantify things without having a print-out. smile I do not have pointy ears.
I ask a simple question; to most it's obvious what I want.
I get answers, I decide which information I find useful; I decide what to eventually do with such.

On the verge of coughing up £4.5 big ones, I will reign in whatever info I can get - from those who have both the acoustic and the digital.
Note; I learned on a clear sounding straight strung upright, which never seemed to need tuning and was far superior to any of my music teachers' instruments.

I do not believe than a man could possess both AP or DP without attempting to get the digital to emulate the acoustic to the best of his ability, in terms of sound and touch. After all, the DP is usually for silent practice anyway so, to add to the exercise, headphones will probably enter into the fray.
Men are inquisitive, and they tend not to give up, even on such time wasting stuff as this.
Now, everytime I frequent the piano-shop which is but a ten minutes bike ride away, I'm reminded of the difference in tone and complexity between the two.

It fascinates me unfortunately.

The DP manufacturers give us this booming bass, mellow, pleasant sweet sounding sickly stuff that sells. They also give us the means to configure a change, God bless 'em. So we do.
And this is the point of my posting.
Just how close do we get?

I bandied the term "90%" which indicates "close"

But I suppose for most of us the answer would be "good enough" which is why I asked the Q of those who have both.

"[Linked Image]"
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P

Look and hear this advertising from a silent piano, you will have an idea of the keys noises (at 0:28).it is a yamaha silent, but I guess it is the same with the piano from other brands.

It helps me relativise all these key noises problems on digitals.

"La critique est facile, mais l'art reste difficile"
T
T
I have a Yamaha C2X Silent. The silent function is very good, but, for me, it pales in comparison to the sound and feel of the acoustic grand. I can imagine that if I played the silent too much that I might get bored. I can't imagine getting bored of the acoustic sound. My family (and therefore I) do appreciate the ability to play silently though... especially when I'm practising a single bar over and over again!

J
J
I just practiced for an hour at 2:30 in the morning. Anyone want to guess if I used my AP or my DP? That might be the name of my next band: AP/DP…….. YEP, time for bed.

P
P
Originally Posted by Johnny English
I just practiced for an hour at 2:30 in the morning. Anyone want to guess if I used my AP or my DP? That might be the name of my next band: AP/DP…….. YEP, time for bed.

if you are rich enough to afford the environment that playing AP loud at 02h30 in the morning without disturbing your
family and neighbors, then you have my envy and my praise.

Piano beginner at 50yrs old
peterws Offline OP
OP Offline

if you are rich enough to afford the environment that playing AP loud at 02h30 in the morning without disturbing your
family and neighbors, then you have my envy and my praise.

And his neighbours will end up with PT/SD

"[Linked Image]"
J
J
Lol—love it Pete! I’m sure they already do from my daytime playing. They keep moving out…..

O
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
O
Jus' wondering. Has anybody here achieved anything like a 90% authentic acoustic sound from a digital/vst?

I have both - acoustic grand and digital hybrid.

In terms of 'authentic acoustic sound' - the Digital hybrid (with VST or without) is nowhere close to 90% of the acoustic sound. It is at best 20% (very subjectively defined percentage of course). That is after trying out many of the best VSTs (Garritan CFX, VSL Concert D-274, Pianoteq etc.) paired with high quality monitor speakers (Genelec 8050bs).

In terms of 'authentic acoustic action' - I would say it is close to 95% of grand acoustic experience for Kawai Novus NV10 (and I would expect the same for Yamaha AvantGrand pianos with grand action).

Osho

Mason & Hamlin BB
Kawai Novus NV10 + VST + Genelec 8050B monitors.
Current VST favorites (in the order of preference): Pianoteq 7/VSL Synchron Concert D//Garritan CFX/Embertone Walker D Full

[Linked Image]
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Where have you been, Osho?

You can’t just disappear like that; without advanced notice and/or even a note. wink

P
P

if you are rich enough to afford the environment that playing AP loud at 02h30 in the morning without disturbing your family and neighbors, then you have my envy and my praise.

And his neighbours will end up with PT/SD

then in this case, make sure I am not the neighbor.

on the other hand, in Japan even for DP they are selling such carpets to ensure the key actions do not disturb the neighbors.
so it is not to say that we can avoid such complaints for a DP.

[Linked Image]

Piano beginner at 50yrs old
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Since all acoustics sound different within their own camp, this discussion will never be resolved, as there is no consistent 100% standard to even see if anything can be 90% of that. Beauty is in the ear of the beholder. I like my DP more than my AP, but who cares? Play what you like and what fits your living space.

Casio PX-S3000
Nope, no issues with it at all.
Took lessons from 1960 to 1969, stopped at age 16.
Started again in July 2020 at age 67. Lots more fun now!
O
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by Pete14
Where have you been, Osho?

You can’t just disappear like that; without advanced notice and/or even a note. wink
Work has been brutal - it just comes and hits me - and I have to disappear for a few months whenever that happens smile.

Osho

Mason & Hamlin BB
Kawai Novus NV10 + VST + Genelec 8050B monitors.
Current VST favorites (in the order of preference): Pianoteq 7/VSL Synchron Concert D//Garritan CFX/Embertone Walker D Full

[Linked Image]
M
M
Originally Posted by trooplewis
Since all acoustics sound different within their own camp, this discussion will never be resolved, as there is no consistent 100% standard to even see if anything can be 90% of that. Beauty is in the ear of the beholder. I like my DP more than my AP, but who cares? Play what you like and what fits your living space.

+1

I own both, analogue and digital instruments (keys) + strings and of course they all have a different sound. I like each instrument. Each has its "advantages" and "disadvantages". As long as you can live with any disadvantages, they should not be considered as such, but as a character. Nothing and nobody is absolutely perfect. In germany we have a saying that fits this very well. "No rose without thorns."

Kind regards
MBiG

Analogue: Sauter - Hohner - Solton; Digital: Casio - Yamaha;
(A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush)
C
C
It's impossible due to limitations of the speakers/hps.

A
A

I don't play this piano very often, I'll ask my Dad tonight. To me it feels the same, not matter if I play it on silent or loud. First I wasn't sure if it's even set to silent, they have some nice open back headphones and the illusion is pretty good with the binaural samples.
The binaural samples on the Yamaha SH2, which are the same used on the latest Avant Grands, are indeed very good and due to binaural recording sometimes you question if the sound is coming out of the piano or from the headphones. However, those binaural samples when played over headphones are a world apart from the acoustic sound produced by the piano. I think you have an issue if you cannot tell apart the sound coming out of a large acoustic instrument played live with the sound coming out of headphones...

The key noise is noticable because of the open back headphones, but not as prominent as when you play normally. With closed back you probably wouldn't hear anything. (...) .
The key noise is only noticeable if you play at a low volume with open headphones. The same happens with most digital pianos. If you set the headphones volume to a level comparable to the acoustic sound, the key noise is not noticeable.

A
A
Originally Posted by playplayplay

Look and hear this advertising from a silent piano, you will have an idea of the keys noises (at 0:28).it is a yamaha silent, but I guess it is the same with the piano from other brands.

It helps me relativise all these key noises problems on digitals.
Hybrid pianos produce the same noise. And the noise of a silent upright piano typically sounds louder than silent grands due to the location of the stop rail. The big difference is that many digitals produce a plastic hollow "clicky" noise, whereas a silent acoustic piano produces a softer wood noise. Kawai DPs featuring the GF2/3 are certainly quieter than a silent acoustic piano. In any case, this noise is the tradeoff for playing a real piano action that no DP can match.

F
F
Originally Posted by acdp
However, those binaural samples when played over headphones are a world apart from the acoustic sound produced by the piano. I think you have an issue if you cannot tell apart the sound coming out of a large acoustic instrument played live with the sound coming out of headphones...

Lol, sure. Whatever you say.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission