2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
65 members (accordeur, brdwyguy, brennbaer, august112, Brendan, 36251, bxrdad1, Bill McKaig,RPT, 10 invisible), 1,329 guests, and 512 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
P
Online Content
P
NEW M1 MACBOOK PRO DOES RECOGNIZE MY KEYBOARDS!

Title for a new thread?

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by PianoMan51
NEW M1 MACBOOK PRO DOES RECOGNIZE MY KEYBOARDS!

Title for a new thread?

Or

I FOLLOWED SOME SIMPLE INSTRUCTIONS AND NOW NEW M1 MACBOOK PRO DOES RECOGNIZE MY KEYBOARDS

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Skyscrapersax
All else aside, CrossOver will be mandatory for me for other programs, such as Word.
Why?

Word is on macOS:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-sg/microsoft-365/mac/microsoft-365-for-mac

Last edited by Burkey; 07/01/21 07:30 PM.

Pianos are one of the best human inventions of the past 320 years - help evangelize the magic!
idiosyncrasies

The irony...

Although it doesn't appear anywhere where one could actually find it, Numa wrote back and said use "finder" for a program appropriately named "MIDI set-up" ---- I did this, up popped the Numa, I checked the box, and presto bingo, the Numa works with the M1!

Yes, myself and other posters in this thread provided the same advice.

they advised that LOTS of music software not only isn't M1 complaint...

Are you using those applications? If not, why worry?

PianoteQ runs fine through the Windows emulation WITH an audio interface, but since I don't want to use one, I'll have to up / cross-grade since they DO have an M1 version.

So does this mean you're actually going to try running the macOS version of Pianoteq (no capital 'Q' by the way...) on your Mac?

I had less latency, but, yeah.... Was this with an audio interface or Windows Direct, etc?

No audio interface, I believe the Pianoteq output device was set to Windows Audio. I was able to install ASIO4All and tested it in Pianoteq through Parallels, however there did not appear to be a performance advantage.

I watched it. I was able to achieve low latency with an audio interface, but I don't want to use one. is this test on M1?

Please look at the video title: "Pianoteq running under CrossOver on M1 MacBook Air" - i.e. this is not running the macOS version natively.

Did you try an Apple Pianoteq that is BEFORE their M1 rollout?

No, however I expect that this should perform pretty well, based on my experience running other Intel apps via Rosetta2.

All else aside, CrossOver will be mandatory for me for other programs, such as Word. NOBODY in the legal community uses Apple for legal documents.

Why not? I have not encountered any problems using the macOS version of MS Office.
If you absolutely must run the Windows version of MS Office or any other tools, I would recommend trying Parallels.

Kind regards,
James
x

S
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
Anytime we get a non-lawyer who uses Apple's Word, it causes a translation nightmare. Really, nobody at any law office I've ever worked at uses Apple, in 30+ years.

Yeah, and I'll probably actually buy the "7" upgrade for $40 from PianoteQ (I use the cap Q because otherwise I type "c".... as in "tech..."

I didn't see anybody name the name - CORE audio, or say the magic app "MIDI set up. I may have missed it.... Apple people apparently assume Windows people understand "Apple Speak." We don't. It's like stepping into an empty elevator shaft.

I don't know why Apple buries the thing (MIDI Set Up). Maybe for the same reason they have no "off" button? Actually, there IS one, it's the fingerprint verifier button. A brief instruction book would be helpful! I really have to Google EVERYTHING with this gizmo! (at least for the moment).

The OTHER reason to buy it > Windows is the battery. My Windows battery is toast and baked in.

Now, to see if my MP11 is savable... I've been letting it sit properly on the floor for a month. Maybe the keys won't stick anymore?

Selmer Mark VI Tenor (‘73) & Alto Sax (‘57), Yamaha YSS-62 Soprano Sax (‘87), Conn Naked Lady Baritone Sax (‘52), Conn New Wonder Tenor & Alto Sax (‘24), Yamaha WX5 Wind Synth (‘13), Kawai MP11 & ES-110, Numa Compact 2x, Casio PX5S, Roland VR-09, Hammond E-112 (‘69).
G
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
G
NOBODY in the legal community uses Apple for legal documents.

Oh? I wouldn't be too sure about that. While I don't think Macs are the majority, they're certainly not rare in the industry. You might be surprised to hear that Chromebooks are used now, too. Different tools for different jobs.

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
Anytime we get a non-lawyer who uses Apple's Word...

"Apple's Word", developed by Microsoft?

PianoteQ (I use the cap Q because otherwise I type "c".... as in "tech..."

You're unable to write product names correctly?

I didn't see anybody name the name - CORE audio, or say the magic app "MIDI set up. I may have missed it....

See Gombessa's post, sandwiched between two of your own, here. I also provided a direct link to the MIDI setup guide on Apple's website.

I don't know why Apple buries the thing (MIDI Set Up).

This is what happens when searching for "MIDI" in macOS:

[Linked Image]

Kind regards,
James
x

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Seems a bit like alto and tenor sax? Oh, I have to transpose up/down. Nobody told me about that! (Could be a bad analogy.)

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Anytime we get a non-lawyer who uses Apple's Word, it causes a translation nightmare.
As I mentioned above: use Microsoft Word

What do you mean by 'Apple's Word'?

Last edited by Burkey; 07/02/21 04:08 AM.

Pianos are one of the best human inventions of the past 320 years - help evangelize the magic!
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
There is Microsoft Word for macOS. It’s even M1-native. That’s what you should use.

And there’s Apple Pages which is a word processor that can also work with Word files but there are sometimes inconsistencies between the two.

Once again, use the Microsoft Word for macOS, not the Windows version thorough a translation layer.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
The only Windows software I can't find a macOS replacement for is DVD Decrypter, I wonder if that would work via Parallels or Crossover?

Last edited by Burkey; 07/02/21 04:43 AM.

On another note: Skyscrapersax, you might want to consider trying and fixing your problem through customer service before writing a misguided and misleading post with an ALL CAPS title on one of the world's most prominent piano forums.

S
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Ostinato
On another note: Skyscrapersax, you might want to consider trying and fixing your problem through customer service before writing a misguided and misleading post with an ALL CAPS title on one of the world's most prominent piano forums.

ALL CAPS is good for titles. Customer service is usually good for nothing, although I will give props to Samsung, who were great regarding my T5. Apple? Forget it!

I sense more "Apple Snobbishness" in you snarky comments, and I resent it. I'm a WINDOWS (ouch, there's those nasty "ALL CAPS" again...) person; never used a Mac before, and it's very challenging. Apple versus Windows is sort of like Trump or abortion, apparently...

There is nothing "misleading" or "misguided" about my posts. I'm just a (justifiably) frustrated consumer, that's all.

Have a nice day, and hit the piano. I play saxophone (48 years) keys (on / off, 52 years) ad now guitar.

Selmer Mark VI Tenor (‘73) & Alto Sax (‘57), Yamaha YSS-62 Soprano Sax (‘87), Conn Naked Lady Baritone Sax (‘52), Conn New Wonder Tenor & Alto Sax (‘24), Yamaha WX5 Wind Synth (‘13), Kawai MP11 & ES-110, Numa Compact 2x, Casio PX5S, Roland VR-09, Hammond E-112 (‘69).
S
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by CyberGene
There is Microsoft Word for macOS. It’s even M1-native. That’s what you should use.

And there’s Apple Pages which is a word processor that can also work with Word files but there are sometimes inconsistencies between the two.

Once again, use the Microsoft Word for macOS, not the Windows version thorough a translation layer.

I'll look into that, but why would that make a difference? No latency issues with documents!

I've not seen one in years, but we've had documents come in in some sort of "Apple" format that are a translation nightmare. Good to know there is a "Word" for Apple, but I've transitioned to the free (and better + no subscription required) Libre Office Writer. It probably has a Mac version too, so I'll check it out, but I can't have any translation issues. My legal stuff is high level, people's lives are on the line, and a lot of it is law-changing appellate work.

S
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Burkey
Anytime we get a non-lawyer who uses Apple's Word, it causes a translation nightmare.
As I mentioned above: use Microsoft Word

What do you mean by 'Apple's Word'?

I use Libre Office now.

S
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by spanishbuddha
Seems a bit like alto and tenor sax? Oh, I have to transpose up/down. Nobody told me about that! (Could be a bad analogy.)

Ha Ha... I've been doing just that since 1973. I sight transpose somewhat better on the Bb than the Eb horns, though....

S
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Kawai James
You're unable to write product names correctly?

I write so much, day in and day out, that I often use shorthand, etc.

I don't know why Apple buries the thing (MIDI Set Up).

This is what happens when searching for "MIDI" in macOS:

[Linked Image]

I think it should have a prominent icon that does not require "searching."

So, is there any hope for my MP11? Or is it toast?

Kind regards,
James
x[/quote]

G
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
G
Skyscrapersax - I sense a lot of frustration in your posts (I know, it must be some kind of hidden EQ genius on my part). I think when you're flustered that something isn't working, you may want to step back, take a deep breath, and consider your tone and reactions. A lot of folks are trying to help you here, and they're giving you good advice, which you're prematurely brushing aside because you think you already know what the problem is (despite stipulating that you're not a Mac or a tech guy). I can't even imagine what it takes to get Kawai James to openly mock someone (even Pete14 barely gets a second glance).

I think it should have a prominent icon that does not require "searching."

You know, when I first tried MIDI on Mac, I also just assumed it would automatically start working, like plugging in a printer, keyboard or other class compliant device. I was also surprised that you had to "self-discover" the Audio MIDI Setup app, and manually set the thing up (took some Google searching). At the very least, you would think Audio Midi Setup would pop up whenever you installed a recognized MIDI device. But that's the way it is, and as many have mentioned, easy enough to find or figure out via Google, or have it explained patiently here, so long as you're willing to listen.

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
ALL CAPS is good for titles. Customer service is usually good for nothing, although I will give props to Samsung, who were great regarding my T5. Apple? Forget it!

This is a sweeping and unfair dismissal of Apple Customer Service.

The geeks at the various Apple stores are some of the most qualified technicians you can ever find. They are highly likely to recognize a problem even before you have the chance to fully explain it to them. Their level of care with giving you quotes, regular updates and delicate handling of your equipment is top-notch. Even their telephone support staff are well qualified and equipped to diagnose problems and solve most issues over phone and will direct you to the store giving you exactly what to say to the in-store geeks.

I really don't know why I am writing all this, but with all due respect to you as a forum member - I have to say that your comments are unfair.

A man must love a thing very much if he practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practice it without any hope of doing it well. Such a man must love the toils of the work more than any other man can love the rewards of it.
G. K. Chesterton
@Sky-meister: I suggest that Gombessa is right. Read his words and take heed:
Originally Posted by Gombessa
Skyscrapersax - I sense a lot of frustration in your posts (I know, it must be some kind of hidden EQ genius on my part). I think when you're flustered that something isn't working, you may want to step back, take a deep breath, and consider your tone and reactions. A lot of folks are trying to help you here, and they're giving you good advice, which you're prematurely brushing aside because you think you already know what the problem is (despite stipulating that you're not a Mac or a tech guy). I can't even imagine what it takes to get Kawai James to openly mock someone (even Pete14 barely gets a second glance).

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
Our Fall 2021 Free Newsletter is Out , see it here!
---------------------
Selling my Hammond & Leslie!
---------------------
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Effect of volume on experience of action
by op299 - 10/17/21 04:35 AM
A la recherche du Pete14 perdu
by Fleer - 10/16/21 11:57 PM
Jazz piano chord progression Mary did you know
by Nicepianoman39 - 10/16/21 10:17 PM
Climate Change & Boom
by Xam - 10/16/21 08:18 PM
Upright Piano Decisions… - Boston vs Schimmel
by Pianofly - 10/16/21 08:16 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,627
Posts3,140,257
Members103,028
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission