2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
59 members (cygnusdei, CharlesXX, clothearednincompo, CyberGene, brdwyguy, CraiginNZ, 14 invisible), 1,329 guests, and 514 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12
S
Sebs Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
I know this can vary quite a bit based on opinion and style you play but at what point do you think someone is considered beyond beginner or what grade? While I don't care too much about what level I am considered I do think it will be a very big accomplishment when I can "graduate from beginner"

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Personally, I will stop referring to myself as a "beginner" after I've completed RCM 4. I think when I get to RCM 5, I am comfortably "intermediate" or "early intermediate". grin

Last edited by WeakLeftHand; 06/30/21 06:26 PM.

Kawai K-500
Casio PX-735 (in retirement)
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
There is definitely no clear or correct answer to the OP's question.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus

Agreed.

In fact, I often feel like I'm a beginner and think that mindset is what keeps pushing me to improve.

Generally though, best to avoid labels and enjoy the journey.

W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by fatar760

Agreed.

In fact, I often feel like I'm a beginner and think that mindset is what keeps pushing me to improve.

I agree that there is no clear or correct answer to the OP's question, but if someone claims he's a "beginner" but has had 10+ years of lessons, I will consider that person to be rather dishonest.

Kawai K-500
Online Content
As soon as one has played a single note one is no longer a beginner.

W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W

Are you serious? Everyone is so philosophical here. LOL.

Kawai K-500
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by WeakLeftHand

Agreed.

I agree that there is no clear or correct answer to the OP's question, but if someone claims he's a "beginner" but has had 10+ years of lessons, I will consider that person to be rather dishonest.

I guess it depends on the level and experience of the person making that judgement!

W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W

Agreed.

I guess it depends on the level and experience of the person making that judgement!

I give up! ~~exasperated~~ crazy

Kawai K-500
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

Ha that's the problem with 'labels'!

I've been playing for over 30 years, but sometimes I'll sit at a piano, play something, and FEEL like I'm absolute beginner.

Of course, alongside someone who is just starting out I wouldn't be considered a beginner at all.

It's all about perspective and not about questioning someone's probity if they don't feel the level they 'should' be at.

W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W

I've been playing for over 30 years, but sometimes I'll sit at a piano, play something, and FEEL like I'm absolute beginner.

Of course, alongside someone who is just starting out I wouldn't be considered a beginner at all.

It's all about perspective and not about questioning someone's probity if they don't feel the level they 'should' be at.

You see, in my mind, and I think in the majority of people's minds, the person just starting out easily qualifies as a beginner, but someone like you who has been playing for over 30 years, does not, no matter how much of a beginner you sometimes feel you are.

Of course, this is all in the spirit of discussion. I don't take these things too seriously. smile

Kawai K-500
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

You see, in my mind, and I think in the majority of people's minds, the person just starting out easily qualifies as a beginner, but someone like you who has been playing for over 30 years, does not, no matter how much of a beginner you sometimes feel you are.

Of course, this is all in the spirit of discussion. I don't take these things too seriously. smile

Of course, I mean, at no point did I ever say I was a beginner. Only that the feeling of 'there's so much more to learn', is often the inspiration to keep on improving.

W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Of course, I mean, at no point did I ever say I was a beginner. Only that the feeling of 'there's so much more to learn', is often the inspiration to keep on improving.

Yes, there is always more to learn!

Kawai K-500
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

Yes, there is always more to learn!

Amen!

Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Hi Sebs
Plover is right in that there is no real answer to ‘when am I no longer a beginner? ‘. Just as there is no real answer to ‘when am I no longer intermediate? Or when will I be considered advanced? We all want to classify ourselves, but if you avoid doing this, you will be much more content with what you have learned. And you will keep learning every day. I have seen some here who are so anxious to be considered at xxx level, that they learn one or two pieces at that level and play them badly. I know you haven’t been doing that which is a good thing.

You don’t need to label yourself as beginner, intermediate or advanced. I just call myself a pianist or sometimes a piano student.... since I know that I will always be learning. There will always be those that don’t play as well as I do, and those who play far, far better. I am where I am— wherever that is.

I know this is asking a lot of yourself — but it will give you peace if you can not try to define your level.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
For some, the term beginner means the amount of time one has been learning; for others, the determinant is the difficulty level of the pieces being attempted. Without clarification of which meaning is being used, it's easy to be talking at cross purposes (nobody here would ever do that, lol).

I dunno. I think I subscribe to the difficulty level crowd.

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
So does that make you an intermediate when you strike the second note?

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Stubbie
So does that make you an intermediate when you strike the second note?

Keep it up like this and you guys can start calling me Maestro.

Maestro Learux has a nice ring to it.

Most fields will determine proficiency and skill with tests and exams.

Use ABRSM and/or RCM as a guidance as when you stop being a beginner.

Beginner, intermediate or advanced.

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400

2006 August Förster 215
R
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
It's a fun thing to think about sometimes. Of course, it's all relative, and I don't think anyone here so disagree with that. If someone can learn and play something like Mozart K545 in a reasonable amount of time (say less than 2 months), I would no longer classify them as a beginner.

Originally Posted by dogperson
You don’t need to label yourself as beginner, intermediate or advanced. I just call myself a pianist or sometimes a piano student.... since I know that I will always be learning. There will always be those that don’t play as well as I do, and those who play far, far better. I am where I am— wherever that is.
Perhaps it works for you, but the perpetual uncertainty can be discomfiting. Which leads to people who have been playing for 15 years to say... um, well, I play a bit. We don't want to get ahead of ourselves, but a constant inferiority complex isn't great either. Which is what tends to happen when the only feedback you receive is a ton of things to fix every week from your teacher! I think we should allow people to celebrate certain milestones and think about how far they are along in their journey.

Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ranjit
It's a fun thing to think about sometimes. Of course, it's all relative, and I don't think anyone here so disagree with that. If someone can learn and play something like Mozart K545 in a reasonable amount of time (say less than 2 months), I would no longer classify them as a beginner.

Originally Posted by dogperson
Perhaps it works for you, but the perpetual uncertainty can be discomfiting. Which leads to people who have been playing for 15 years to say... um, well, I play a bit. We don't want to get ahead of ourselves, but a constant inferiority complex isn't great either. Which is what tends to happen when the only feedback you receive is a ton of things to fix every week from your teacher! I think we should allow people to celebrate certain milestones and think about how far they are along in their journey.

Of course, everyone can celebrate and should celebrate but you don’t need a label to do that— look at how far you can have come in xxx amount of time. You might still be labeled s beginner by some, but when you look how far you have come, the label is irrelevant.

What you don’t want is to be so worried about labels that you rush yourself to play music earlier than you are ready for it, or aren’t pleased with what you can do.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
Our Fall 2021 Free Newsletter is Out , see it here!
---------------------
Selling my Hammond & Leslie!
---------------------
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Effect of volume on experience of action
by op299 - 10/17/21 04:35 AM
A la recherche du Pete14 perdu
by Fleer - 10/16/21 11:57 PM
Jazz piano chord progression Mary did you know
by Nicepianoman39 - 10/16/21 10:17 PM
Climate Change & Boom
by Xam - 10/16/21 08:18 PM
Upright Piano Decisions… - Boston vs Schimmel
by Pianofly - 10/16/21 08:16 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,627
Posts3,140,243
Members103,025
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission