2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Week Deals
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
75 members (ambrozy, APianistHasNoName, Abdol, accordeur, An Old Square, Beansparrow, anotherscott, 23 invisible), 665 guests, and 895 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
WOW- I thought I was the only one!
If it gets any worse my music desk is going to be sitting on the fallboard! LOL

Had one Cataract done years ago - not anxious to get the other one done!
Strong Piano Light helps some.

brdwyguy

Emerson Upright (1920's)
Westbrook Spinet (1969)
Schomacker Model A (1912)
Steinway Model A (1912)

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
7000 Post Club Member
Online Content

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by trooplewis
A nice set of progressive lenses will solve your problem, as long as the sheet music is somewhat lower than your straight-ahead vision.
Will set you back $400-500, but worth it. It's like having regular glasses and reading glasses all in one.

If that is too expensive, a set of trifocals will also work.

I find progressive lenses work too. And lots of good info above. But I wanted to comment that $500 is too much. It's the "norm," but it's too much nowadays. I'd been meaning to try the "modern" online options, and finally broke down and did, and got excellent glasses with lightweight high-index progressive lenses, all the coatings, etc, plus clip-on sunglasses (and they threw in 2 extras of those, because apparently "they're easy to lose", plus a handful of cleaning cloths and other goodies), for only $120. That's literally one-fifth the price. I could get FIVE pair for the "normal" price at the local traditional chain place.

Anyway, I'm sold. There are more than one of these services, and I'm not gonna post an advert for them, but if anyone wants to know where I shopped, send me a PM.

(The last straw...why I switched )

When my last pair of glasses were starting to wear out, I'd been hearing about all the great online options, and had meant to try them out, but I'm sort of a creature of habit, so I scheduled an appointment and went to the usual big chain place in the nearby shopping center for the full court press (eye exam, prescription, glasses, etc).

So the first irritant came when I arrived for the appointment. They claimed that they couldn't find my insurance coverage. They could see from about a year before that my checkup had been covered, and also my previous pair of glasses a year or two before that. They acted all puzzled and bewildered. "No problem," I thought. "I'll just pay and file a claim." I forget exactly how much, but the checkup was in the neighborhood of $100.

After the checkup I moved into the "showroom" to select glasses. Same drill as earlier: they can't find my insurance coverage. Again I think I'll just pay and file a claim. So I pick new frames and pay the bill ($520), and head out.

Something didn't sit right with me about the insurance, so I texted a couple people I know who are on the same plan and they both confirm that vision and glasses are covered. I called the number on the card, and the insurance company confirms that they'd cover the services...but...they no longer work with this chain!

So, instead of saying, "we no longer accept that insurance," which they know would simply send most people looking for a shop that would, they acted like the problem was my insurance coverage, which presumably would be a problem anywhere I went. And, to add insult to injury, it was embarrassing to stand there while they acted like I didn't have insurance coverage, when in fact I did.

Well, the above didn't sit well with me, but, I was done and hate dealing with stuff like this, so I thought I'd just grin and bear it.

Fast forward a week or so, when my new glasses arrive and I go in to try them on. It was immediately apparent that there was an issue with the left lense. It's hard to describe, but for starters everything on that side looked like it was much closer than through the right lense. The sales lady tried to encourage me "give them for a week or so." When I pushed back the other sales weasel came over and in reassuring tones explained that "everyone has to adjust to their new lenses," and if in a week or so I was still struggling with them they'd be glad to follow up.

So, their answer was that I should suffer with a horrific prescription for a week, and then they'd do the right thing. Well, I refused to accept them, and scheduled a followup with the optometrist, who--to her credit admitted there was something akin to a typo in the prescription. So, it was the optometrist's error, but the sales team shouldn't have ganged up on me to keep them when there was an obvious problem.

Anyway, I insisted on a refund and that was the impetus I needed to try the online option. By then my glasses were really about to fall apart (the malleable metal bridge kept bending...). Fortunately, I can function without them (for example, when I hike or bike I usually don't even wear them). I have a near and distant prescription, but both are pretty light.

I decided that I'd just give the online option a try. If it wasn't satisfactory, it was only $120 all in, so not too much to lose. But not only were they ok, they were excellent. I don't have a single complaint about them (other than not trying it earlier). The traditional folks try to make it difficult by not telling you your interpupillary distance, but it's not hard to figure out. In fact, I had wrongly assumed that the sales clerks were trained optometry technicians of some sort, but learned later that they're just commissioned sales people with OJT. Their goal was to sell me expensive glasses. Whether they were correct or not was of no consequence.

How to Upload Pictures
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Normal progressives are fine, but if you move your head around, it can be a real chore to have the text line up properly. That's why I have a different pair for reading music. Normal reading portion, I think, but a less-aggressive correction for the main part. That way, I don't lose the middle distance if I don't look just so at the page.

L
L
Whatever any of you do after you are diagnosed with cataracts, do not delay surgery once you opthamologist recommends it.
My mother-in-law did. She did not tell us about the recommendation and avoided returning to the doctor because she feared having her eyes cut.

Several years later she had a crisis - the cataracts caused severe glaucoma, and she was hospitalized in terrible pain. The eye surgeon had a terrible time removing the cataracts. As it eventually turned out, the glaucoma had caused her to lose her sight in her one good eye. The other was barely OK, as before, but even glasses were not able to give her the ability to see print properly again. She had loved her computer, and was unable to continue using it, or to read.

In contrast, it was wonderful when I had the surgery. I was very shortsighted, and still use eyedrop medication to reduce long-standing moderate glaucoma, get regular checks of eye pressure.

My opthamologist/surgeon is also a pianist. She was able to give me a correction that gives me 20/20 vision in one eye, and about 20/40 in the other. That enabled me to go without glasses for general life, and to read music and the computer screen without even reading glasses. It was tricky for a while, because the glasses I needed previous to surgery made everything appear small and far away, although clear. That included the keyboard and stairs. I was warned to be very careful of my steps until I adjusted to the difference in apparent size and closeness.

It was most confusing until I had the second eye done, about a month after the first. I could not use glasses in any way, because the vision was so different in size for each eye. The brain can't cope with that adequately. I managed without, just very poor vision in the second eye. (I even gave a six hour seminar the day following the first surgery!)

I love the results after the second eye was done - far better than even "computer glasses," since my vision is now also better in my peripheral vision for driving and the piano. Mind you, not everyone can have these results - it depends on what the surgeon has to work with to correct.

j&j Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Piano Glasses, computer glasses, trifocals, and progressives all work for different people with adjustable music racks and adjustable benches. After age 50 our natural lenses aren’t flexible and can get damaged, resulting in cataracts. Right now, IOLs are pretty much single vision so you can pick whether you want your IOL (implanted optical lens) set to give you clear vision for distance (driving, outdoor activities, spectator sports, etc), medium for computer screens, music racks, smartphones) and finally reading and close work. They’re working for a new flexible IOL that would act like our natural lenses worked when we were young but I haven’t heard much lately about this. Whoever develops the flexible IOL there will be long lines for cataract surgery. No worries Pianoloverus. The surgery is pretty quick and easy and covered by your medical insurance or Medicare. It’s pretty important to be able to see well.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
The reason I’m old and wise is because God protected me when I was young and stupid.
[Linked Image]
M
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
M
I requested a prescription for the distance from my eye to the music (grand piano). It’s still a reading prescription, just with a slightly longer focal distance. Mine are not ‘computer glasses’ because I didn’t need extra coatings for glare etc., but they’re similar. I ordered my glasses from GlassesUSA. Make sure that you get frames that are full size, NOT the small size used for readers.

I recommend GlassesUSA because the prices are excellent, and I have been happy with the quality. My last pair was about 3 years ago, they were about $50 including shipping.

When I placed the order they contacted me and asked if I realized that I was putting a reading prescription into full sized frame. Good customer service.

MH1963

'63 Mason & Hamlin Model A

[Linked Image]

7000 Post Club Member
Online Content

7000 Post Club Member
I only got my first pair of glasses about ten years ago. I'm on my third prescription, which are still fairly light (for lack of a better word). Each time I get a new one, it distorts the keyboard a little, particularly at the far ends, and I have to adjust a bit, but nothing too dramatic yet.

Even with my first pair, I needed bifocals, but the progressive lenses are nice. Lately I catch myself tilting back a smidge when looking into the distance, so I'm wondering if it's time for a new prescription.

How to Upload Pictures
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I have 3x reading glasses for reading up close on my phone at night, 1.5x for reading a book, and 1x for reading sheet music on the piano. I wonder if your reading glasses are just too strong. Maybe go to the local drugstore and see if weaker ones let you see sheet music at the distance you need. Then, order a bunch from Amazon at the appropriate power. They're amazingly cheap and are usually sold in packs of 4 or 5. I like single power reading glasses better than progressive so things don't go out of focus when you shift your eyes.

Good luck!

Daily driver: Yamaha Avantgrand N1
First crush: Kawai GL10, MP11SE
Current fling: Petrof III
Foster child: 1927 Kurtzmann upright
C
C
I have "nice" progressives (Zeiss which is a German company) and can't read music with them at all. Nor with my "computer glasses" that well. You'd think they should work as the distance and angle is about the same for me for piano music and computer work. Who knows. They are better than the progressives, though.

What works best for me was to use an old pair of what I think you are calling "readers". These are prescription glasses solely in my near vision prescription, not the cheap stuff you buy at a drugstore (which I could never use as I have an astigmatism and my eyes differ). My prescription changes about every two years a bit, and I found an older pair from a couple years ago works best for me. In my case, it sounds odd, but my vision is getting better over time, not worse. This is because I was terribly nearsighted to begin with when young, so most people get more farsighted as they age (I think), but in my case, that is just making my vision better. In fact, I can actually read now without any glasses if I want, although it's a bit better with my glasses.

I guess this makes sense that my older prescription is thus a bit stronger than my current near/reading prescription.

IN your case, I agree maybe just having an optometrist make a special pair at a certain distance would be best. You do not have to spend a lot of money on these, single vision lenses should not be that expensive, your optometrist just has to measure the prescription correctly. In fact, I buy my frames online cheap, there are many companies that sell them and they are a fraction of the cost taht optometrists charge for frames, even the brand name ones you can get at least 50 pct off. ON the other hand, of your optometrist just makes up the prescription, you don't need to buiy the glasses from him/her, just go online and order some and see how it works. For single vision, that isn't very risky. my favorite cheap eyeglasses online vendor is 39dollarglasses.com . I've worn them for years and they are pretty good quality. I've also used zenni.com and they are even cheaper and ok, also.

39dollarglasses.com will even take them back and give you a refund if you really don't like them. Minus some shipping charge. I don't think Zenni will do that, but then again,you can get glasses from them for $10-20 or something. And they really aren't that bad, to be honest.

T
T
I’ll be 76 next week and didn’t discover piano until I was 72.
I have terrible eyes w astigmatism progressive lenses -a real mr magoo-and had optometrist tweak lenses a little for reading music at the distance on my upright ..
Dr says I’m gonna need cataract surgery BUT I now use two photographic light stands (minus the umbrellas )w those bulbs that put out a ton of light but no heat.
I love it —keys have no shadows —really see music well now.. guess I will consider surgery one day —my son had it an doesn’t even need glasses anymore—
oh ditch any eye glass lens that is tinted—-worse lenses for reading music—-learned that the hard way.

j&j Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
You can take some measurements and bring some sheet music to the optometrist to get special piano glasses. Between adjustable benches, adjustable music desks, adjustable piano lights, and prescription glasses, we can find something to work for reading sheet music. It’s a common problem with a combination of workable solutions.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
The reason I’m old and wise is because God protected me when I was young and stupid.
[Linked Image]
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Ned Rorem
by Steveskates - 12/01/21 09:00 PM
When Pianist and Piano Rebuilder Get together
by Chernobieff Piano - 12/01/21 08:51 PM
Regulating a digital piano advice needed
by Purdy - 12/01/21 06:06 PM
WNG Portable Piano pounder.
by jkess114 - 12/01/21 05:16 PM
Talking while playing
by wg73 - 12/01/21 03:19 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,340
Posts3,150,085
Members103,487
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission