2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
38 members (ajf0016, cygnusdei, clothearednincompo, Beemer, Ben_NZ, Boboulus, Dfrankjazz, 12 invisible), 810 guests, and 404 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
T
Emulated software is one thing. Emulated drivers for hardware is something different. And as you said, you are talking about hardware. Google it and I'm sure you will find all kinds of information on why this is a bad idea. It's the basic principle and has nothing to do with Mac, PC, Windows, Sun, Linux, Unix, etc. At this point, you should probably return it.

Waiting patiently for delivery of my Yamaha CLP-795 / Ordered 6 Sep 2021
D
D
The onscreen keyboard that you see inside Pianoteq (for Windows) is completely virtual: it does not exists outside of that software. The fact that it works proves nothing as it relates to interfacing to an actual piece of hardware, your physical keyboard, which requires drivers. Those USB and MIDI drivers are built into MacOs and activated automatically, unless your keyboard is not standard, in which case some drivers maybe available from the manufacturer… Does your keyboard have a USB(-to-host) connector? Is it using DIN, and do you have a DIN-to-USB adapter instead?

The sound card is there on your Mac, does not have a name and is controlled in the Sound pane of System Preferences. The fact that you hear a sound when playing the virtual keyboard inside the Pianoteq software means that the “crazy translation app” makes Pianoteq believe that a Windows type of sound card - with ASIO semantics and all - is available to Pianoteq, while at the same time talking to the actual sound hardware to emit the sound. This process is probably slower than it is under the Windows operating system, without any needed translation.

You really need to try the native MacOs M1 Pianoteq software, and if you won’t, return your Mac and get a PC. We can’t help you on the current trajectory because you are not getting what we are trying to say and are framing the problem in a way that does not really apply.

We are really, honestly, trying to help though. Good luck!

Complete beginner, started 12/2020 with Yamaha PSR-E373. I used to play guitar some 40 years ago and recall some music theory, sheet music reading. I am starting to make some neural connections to the keys after finishing Faber's Adult All-in-One method book.
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
If by Pianotec you mean Pianoteq, not only it has a Mac version, it has a M1-build.

Your attitude is arrogant and also you insist on some pretty stupid explanations and you don’t deserve any (or at least my) help here, sorry.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
D
D
One more thing I want to mention. I have a cheap Yamaha keyboard with a built-in audio interface, a $200 PSR-E373, and I can control the keyboard from my M1 Mac and hear the sounds through the speakers of my keyboard , all with a single USB cable between the keyboard and the computer. I didn’t have to fiddle with anything, load drivers, adjust sound card settings or anything else: it is just plug and play. So, it can be done. Don’t lose hope!

Complete beginner, started 12/2020 with Yamaha PSR-E373. I used to play guitar some 40 years ago and recall some music theory, sheet music reading. I am starting to make some neural connections to the keys after finishing Faber's Adult All-in-One method book.
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Using Windows version of a software on a Mac through an emulator layer, when there is a native Mac build of that software is COMPLETELY wrong on every single possible imaginable level. It is beyond ridiculous. There’s no such a thing as if it seems to “work” then it works.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
O
O
Edit thread title

"Bought a mac but have no idea what I'm doing and should have bought an i7 Windows laptop, because that would satisfy all my needs"

B
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
B
He must be trolling after reading all this 😳😁

O
O
To be fair, if someone makes the wrong decision, then why try to fix it with 29 pages of suggestions.
The right decision is to return the mac, grab a Windows machine and live happily ever after.

I think we need to stop comparing Apple with Windows.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Skyscrapersax
Ready to return the damn thing; not getting helpful answers on this forum AT ALL.

I don't believe there is any problem with the advice provided by other members of this forum.

The problem is that you are simply not listening to our recommendations, and as CyberGene notes, there's an arrogance to your response that belies your technical proficiency.

It might well be possible to run Pianoteq under Windows using CrossOver, however this is perhaps something to experiment with once you've reached step 7 of the journey, not something to dive into at step 1.

I appreciate that you may be unfamiliar with Macs, but believe me you're not alone. The computer I'm using to type this response to you on right now is also my first Mac, after many years of using Windows PCs. There are some differences between the operating systems, however it's been a large smooth-sailing process so far, and any queries I have can usually be answered by Googling.

As I recommended in my initial response to you: keep it simple. You want to play Pianoteq on your Mac, from your Numa, via a USB cable. So, get everything connected, install Pianoteq for macOS, then take it from there. According to this page on the Studiologic website, the Numa does not require any drives under macOS, so it should be a case of plugging in, launching Pianoteq, and playing. If this doesn't happen, you may need to check the Pianoteq settings, and/or the MIDI configuration on macOS, explained here.

Best of luck!

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
C
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
C
There are a few critical steps for this to work as intended:
- The MIDI keyboard must work with M1 Macs. Like suggested that should first be tested/troubleshooted with native OS-X software without the CrossOver messing things up.
- CrossOver must support MIDI. Does it? Do they even make such a promise?
- CrossOver must support low latency audio. Does it? Do they even make such a promise?

I don't have the answers or an M1 Mac.

C
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
C

Just for fun, I tested this earlier...

Cheers,
James
x

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
For the OP - just run the Mac version of Pianoteq and all should be fine. If that does not work try a different cable.

The Mac version of Pianoteq is not very different to what you are used to and should not present a problem.

If you need to run high performance windows only audio software you really should get a windows computer.

Cheers

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Note: I am running the Windows version of Pianotec through the "Crossover Mac" gizmo from Codeweavers.
Test the macOS version of Pianoteq (demo version) - this will take you all of 60 seconds.

If that works (it will) then Crossover is your problem smile

Last edited by Burkey; 06/30/21 04:49 AM.

Pianos are one of the best human inventions of the past 320 years - help evangelize the magic!
C
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
C
Ditching CrossOver and using Parallels instead looks like a solution based on James' funky experiment above.

Originally Posted by clothearednincompo
Ditching CrossOver and using Parallels instead looks like a solution based on James' funky experiment above.

Actually, CrossOver "works" also. wink

The performance (i.e. latency) is better than in Parallels, presumably because CrossOver is just emulating the x86 code directly, rather than using the Windows on ARM's x86 translation layer. I installed ASIO4All, but no sound was produced. The best performance was using the Windows Audio device (DirectSound is a mess). It's perhaps worth noting that I had to use the final Pianoteq 6 release, as Pianoteq 7 would not allow me to select the Windows Audio.

As with the Parallels test clip above, this was using an MP8II connected to the Mac via USB-MIDI cable (via a USB-C hub).

So, an interesting experiment to demonstrate that Skyscrapersax's intended process will indeed work. However the latency is still pretty noticeable - even in CrossOver. There's no way I would choose to play Pianoteq in this emulated/translated environment over simply running it natively on macOS.

Cheers,
James
x

S
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
Thanks! The M1 is performing great with the Numa Compact 2x now.....

Remember, this is my "maiden voyage" with a Mac, so for all you "Apple People" who are used to its idiosyncrasies, well, I'm not, and FWIW, Apple's slogan "it just works" is BS - it's NOT intuitive!

Although it doesn't appear anywhere where one could actually find it, Numa wrote back and said use "finder" for a program appropriately named "MIDI set-up" ---- I did this, up popped the Numa, I checked the box, and presto bingo, the Numa works with the M1!

Now, over at "The Gear Page" (new PC name...), they advised that LOTS of music software not only isn't M1 complaint, but isn't even Big Sur, and isn't even whatever the prior Apple OS is called - and may never be ....

Here's a Big Sur compatibility guide:

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/macos-11-big-sur-compatibility-guide/

In fact, many advised that "Apple is best for music" is yesterday's (actually, 20 years ago) news, and noted that some top studios are going to Windows due to the M1.

I may not have mentioned that the prime reason for me getting a Mac was for gigging, not necessarily for composing (where I own lots of software that won't run natively in Mac).

To that end, I've now successfully loaded the fantastic IK Multimedia Hammond Organ (B 3-X)(I own a REAL Hammond Organ, and this sucker is the real deal!), as well as the equally great Scarbee ES88 (the George Duke one; also the "real deal"), and Kontakt to run it. In fact, I purposely used an OLD version of Kontakt (5; it's up to 7 now), and it works fine. It IS an "Apple" version - but apparently the Rosetta 2 gizmo is doing it's job fine.

So now it's time for acoustic piano .... PianoteQ runs fine through the Windows emulation WITH an audio interface, but since I don't want to use one, I'll have to up / cross-grade since they DO have an M1 version. Without an interface, it's latency city. Synthology has NOT released M1 Ivory II ... I'll see if it works anyway.

Last edited by Skyscrapersax; 07/01/21 06:42 PM. Reason: various alterations, such as b5 and #11

Selmer Mark VI Tenor (‘73) & Alto Sax (‘57), Yamaha YSS-62 Soprano Sax (‘87), Conn Naked Lady Baritone Sax (‘52), Conn New Wonder Tenor & Alto Sax (‘24), Yamaha WX5 Wind Synth (‘13), Kawai MP11 & ES-110, Numa Compact 2x, Casio PX5S, Roland VR-09, Hammond E-112 (‘69).
S
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Just for fun, I tested this earlier...

Cheers,
James
x

I had less latency, but, yeah.... Was this with an audio interface or Windows Direct, etc?

Selmer Mark VI Tenor (‘73) & Alto Sax (‘57), Yamaha YSS-62 Soprano Sax (‘87), Conn Naked Lady Baritone Sax (‘52), Conn New Wonder Tenor & Alto Sax (‘24), Yamaha WX5 Wind Synth (‘13), Kawai MP11 & ES-110, Numa Compact 2x, Casio PX5S, Roland VR-09, Hammond E-112 (‘69).
S
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Burkey
Note: I am running the Windows version of Pianotec through the "Crossover Mac" gizmo from Codeweavers.
Test the macOS version of Pianoteq (demo version) - this will take you all of 60 seconds.

If that works (it will) then Crossover is your problem smile

Lack of an audio interface with Windows is the issue. I fired one up and it works fine. So, the rule is if don't want to use an AI, use a Mac version. I don't think it matters if it's M1 or not, Rosetta2 appears to do the job for other music programs fine.

S
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Originally Posted by clothearednincompo

Actually, CrossOver "works" also. wink

The performance (i.e. latency) is better than in Parallels, presumably because CrossOver is just emulating the x86 code directly, rather than using the Windows on ARM's x86 translation layer. I installed ASIO4All, but no sound was produced. The best performance was using the Windows Audio device (DirectSound is a mess). It's perhaps worth noting that I had to use the final Pianoteq 6 release, as Pianoteq 7 would not allow me to select the Windows Audio.

As with the Parallels test clip above, this was using an MP8II connected to the Mac via USB-MIDI cable (via a USB-C hub).

So, an interesting experiment to demonstrate that Skyscrapersax's intended process will indeed work. However the latency is still pretty noticeable - even in CrossOver. There's no way I would choose to play Pianoteq in this emulated/translated environment over simply running it natively on macOS.

Cheers,
James
x

I watched it. I was able to achieve low latency with an audio interface, but I don't want to use one. is this test on M1? Did you try an Apple Pianoteq that is BEFORE their M1 rollout?

All else aside, CrossOver will be mandatory for me for other programs, such as Word. NOBODY in the legal community uses Apple for legal documents. This M1 does have a 2nd role - backup to my windows machine for legal work.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Sustain Pedal Use
by john fh - 09/25/21 02:13 AM
Insulted a Kawai salesman with straight talk
by Cristofori - 09/25/21 01:37 AM
Berg Sieben Früher Lieder and more
by MinscAndBoo - 09/24/21 08:47 PM
Free Books
by Larry Fine - 09/24/21 07:18 PM
Need help finding a piece (Streabbog?)
by cygnusdei - 09/24/21 06:51 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Our Free Newsletter for Piano Lovers!
The summer edition of our free newsletter
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,282
Posts3,134,985
Members102,816
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission