2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
66 members (36251, Brendan, august112, cygnusdei, bxrdad1, Bill McKaig,RPT, clothearednincompo, Animisha, CyberGene, 9 invisible), 1,321 guests, and 524 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
OP Offline
B
I'd posted here before for advice on a piano shell, and I found one!
speaking of which, anyone recommend a piano mover in the MD/PA area to help move this heavy *bleep*-er?

It hits the right marks. It's clean enough, modern-era enough to have 88 keys and three pedals too; has the carved rosewood I love; it's a larger grand so the work is justifiable.
The seller says it was worked on 10 years ago at received new strings at the least;
the price was very good, so it didn't really matter whether it actually was or wasn't-- I'm prepared to restring, replace a pinblock, whatever it turns out needing once I have a chance to look over in detail.

I'm doing this in large part to really learn to work on pianos smile But also have a good playable keeper when I'm all done. I've reached out to two local technicians with rebuilding expertise for help when it comes to the parts that cannot be fudged; I'm anticipating a couple years of hours on weekends to be realistic. Reblitz's book is arriving this week, for starters. I'm really excited! I'm going to start by learning to regulate action, and refinishing the case --that bit, I know how to do already. The refinishing bit. not the action-regulating bit. I just figure the action is more forgiving to start with-- once I start digging into the guts of the case it's game-on and I'll want to start and finish soundboard+bridge+pinblock+strings (if needed! may not be) within a finite scheduled period of a few months' time not have it laying about in pieces for years until I start losing parts.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

One of the shells I'd considered --not this one-- ended up being a dud: it had been extensively worked on by a flipper back in 1992, so the sellers were trying to get more money due to that. But when I had it looked at, all the work done was either partial or poor. E.g., keys recapped but sloppy enough I could tell from a photo. moniker reapplied but not authentic (right manufacturer's name, but wrong city haha). just part of the bridge recapped. Basically given the work that was visible was questionable, then the other covered work (pinblock, soundboard shimming) becomes suspect... and the sellers were pricing it like a restored piano despite the likely need to have it all done over again. I was advised to avoid it doubly so because the technician I'm talking with explained to me, rebuilding is to a huge extent patern matching the original parts: therefore if I'm re-restoring a bad restore it's a copy of a bad copy of the original.

Last edited by berninicaco3; 06/28/21 01:23 AM.

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
6000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
6000 Post Club Member
It's a handsome piano! thumb

Originally Posted by berninicaco3
anyone recommend a piano mover in the MD/PA area to help move this heavy *bleep*-er? .

I used Empire Piano Movers last month to move a 5'8" grand to my house last month, and at the same time moved my 5'2" grand to the basement. They did a great job and charged a pretty fair price (IMO). I'd be comfortable using them again, and/or referring them.

How to Upload Pictures
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Congratulations!

Wow, you're not afraid to tackle a monumental big project! I'm an avid tinkerer myself, and like a challenge, but I think you've got me beat!

If I were you, I'd tackle in innards first, and not worry too much about the case refinishing, unless that is really important to you. I've learned that when it comes to old things, that old patina look has an appeal (to an extent). The sound, feel and touch is what is most important on a piano, to me at least. But I also like an attractive looking piano.

And, you are right, I would imagine that piano is rather heavy. Make sure your floor system can support the weight. smile

Good luck, and keep us informed of your progress!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
D
D
Looks like a fun project!

Dave In Denver
1916 Weber FR 6' Duo Art
j&j Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
It is beautiful. To me, a player not a technician, it also looks like a whole bunch of work. Best Wishes!

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
The reason I’m old and wise is because God protected me when I was young and stupid.
[Linked Image]
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
That music desk!!!! Lovely!!

I look forward to hearing about the project as it moves forward!!

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
B
OP Offline
B
I think to the technicians here who know better than either of us, it probably looks like even MORE work than we're seeing hahaha

But yes, I'll start getting into it smile

S
Online Content
S
Originally Posted by Retsacnal
Originally Posted by berninicaco3
anyone recommend a piano mover in the MD/PA area to help move this heavy *bleep*-er? .

I used Empire Piano Movers last month to move a 5'8" grand to my house last month, and at the same time moved my 5'2" grand to the basement. They did a great job and charged a pretty fair price (IMO). I'd be comfortable using them again, and/or referring them.

PianoCraft delivered my Estonia L210 through Empire Piano Movers. They did a great job.

Also congratulations on the piano! I hope you enjoy it!

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Looking forward to photos of the process. There was a thread a year or two ago by someone who rebuilt a grand, I think they were in Thailand if I recall. It was amazing what they accomplished. Wish you the best in your adventure.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
Our Fall 2021 Free Newsletter is Out , see it here!
---------------------
Selling my Hammond & Leslie!
---------------------
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Effect of volume on experience of action
by op299 - 10/17/21 04:35 AM
A la recherche du Pete14 perdu
by Fleer - 10/16/21 11:57 PM
Jazz piano chord progression Mary did you know
by Nicepianoman39 - 10/16/21 10:17 PM
Climate Change & Boom
by Xam - 10/16/21 08:18 PM
Upright Piano Decisions… - Boston vs Schimmel
by Pianofly - 10/16/21 08:16 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,627
Posts3,140,250
Members103,025
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission