2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
93 members (anotherscott, Andrew_G, AllThingsKeyboard, Augustina, astrotoy, Amadeus M., Andy R, APianistHasNoName, Abdol, 20 invisible), 1,702 guests, and 430 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 21 of 25 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

Yamaha U3H
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
I caught up on listening to some of your pieces this morning—great work, everyone.

AndresVel, I love the Bartok Children’s Pieces you’re playing; they seem perfect for the challenge. I recognized the Kabalewski piece—I played it when I was a child. A lot of these beginner pieces bring back memories for me!

trooplewis, I thought Ivan Sings was quite lovely, and a bit different from your usual fare. I really enjoyed your recording.

barbaram, your jazzy pieces are sweet little trifles, I look forward to hearing more.

KevinM, I bet the Mozart transcription was fun to learn. I find Mozart to be particularly rewarding to work on and enjoyable to play.

Greta99, really beautiful additions. I was especially taken with the Marcello/Bach Adagio.

Yamaha U3H

Yamaha U3H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Very nice recording Saan. Everyone must be on summer vacation, there has not been many new entries lately.

Casio PX-S3000
Nope, no issues with it at all.
Took lessons from 1960 to 1969, stopped at age 16.
Started again in July 2020 at age 67. Lots more fun now!
A
A
Very nice additions Saan. I really liked the Granados piece. He was no in my music radar before but I think I will now listen to some more of his compositions.
The figuetta seems tricky! Now I see why it took you longer than expected.

Originally Posted by trooplewis
Very nice recording Saan. Everyone must be on summer vacation, there has not been many new entries lately.
I think so too, or perhaps just as me, caught in a huge amount of work :'( ... This week I have barely made it to the piano. although I have some pieces from previous weeks I could record over the weekend.

Lisztomaniac, inspired adult beginner, Scarlatti fan
Sabel S123 (Tucan), and Kawai CA49. Previously: Casio PX-S1000
What I have been learning
G
G
Andres and Saan, thank you for your comments! Andres, I do find Clementi sonatinas quite difficult. That's why I decided to learn the complete op. 36. I'm working on no. 5 at the moment.

I listened to all recent additions, great job everybody!

Saan, it was really lovely. Granados has been on my list for ages. Zipoli is short and sweet. Now I'm curious, what book do you have on your stand?
Andres, you are doing great! All pieces are beautifully played, with great attention to details. I enjoyed them. Have you moved to the Book 2 now?
Barbara, thank you for introducing Mordasov's miniatures, maybe I'll learn a couple of them when I have enough of quick studies that are three pages long.
Kevin, it was a very nice transcription and beautifully played.
trooplewis, "Ivan sings" is one of my favorite beginner pieces and you did a great job on it. Maybe you could submit it to the Beginner Pieces Themed Recital.

I'm adding a couple of quick studies:
1) Wynn-Anne Rossi, Pasos locos (Música Latina, Bk 2)(Soundcloud, hearthis.at)
2) Cécile Chaminade, Idylle, Op. 126 No. 1 (Soundcloud, hearthis.at)
3) Amy Beach, Pierrot and Pierrette, Op. 25 No. 4 (Soundcloud, hearthis.at)
4) Louise Farrenc, Étude in A Minor, Op. 50 No. 2 (Soundcloud, hearthis.at)
5) Barbara Arens, Moonbeams (From "Rendezvous with Midnight") (Soundcloud, hearthis.at)
6) C. Gurlitt, Little Flowers, Op. 205 No. 3 (Soundcloud, hearthis.at)
7) Barbara Arens, Looking back (From "Rendezvous with Midnight") (Soundcloud, hearthis.at)
8) Barbara Arens, Summer Moonlight (From "Rendezvous with Midnight")(Soundcloud, hearthis.at)
9) C. Gurlitt, Little Flowers, Op. 205 No. 4 (Soundcloud, hearthis.at)
10) Agathe Backer Grøndahl, Sommervise, Op 45 No 3 (Soundcloud, hearthis.at)
11) C. Gurlitt, Little Flowers, Op. 205 No. 5 (Soundcloud, hearthis.at)
12) C. Gurlitt, Little Flowers, Op. 205 No. 6 (Soundcloud, hearthis.at)
13) Mel Bonis, Impromptu "Gai Printemps", Op. 11 No. 1 (Soundcloud, hearthis.at)
14) M. Clementi, Op. 36 no. 4 m. 1 (Soundcloud, hearthis.at)
15) C. Gurlitt, Little Flowers, Op. 205 No. 7 (Soundcloud, hearthis.at)
16) C. Gurlitt, Little Flowers, Op. 205 No. 8 (Soundcloud, hearthis.at)
17) M. Clementi, Op. 36 no. 4 m. 2 (Soundcloud, hearthis.at)
18) A. Ilyinsky, Berceuse, Op.13 No.7 (Soundcloud, hearthis.at)
19) C. Gurlitt, Little Flowers, Op. 205 No. 9 (Soundcloud, hearthis.at)
20) M. Mier, October Morning ("Romantic Impressions", B. 2) (Soundcloud, hearthis.at)
21) Bach/Kempff, Siciliano from Flute Sonata No. 2, BWV 1031 (Soundcloud, hearthis.at)
22) C. Gurlitt, Little Flowers, Op. 205 No. 12 (Soundcloud,hearthis.at)
23) Marcello/Bach, Adagio, BWV 974 (Soundcloud, hearthis.at)
24) M. Clementi, Op. 36 no. 4 m. 3 (Soundcloud, hearthis.at)
25) M. Mier, Dreams Bright and Beautiful ("Romantic Impressions", B. 2) (Soundcloud, hearthis.at)
26) Wynn-Anne Rossi, Vals Peruano ("Música Latina", Bk 2) (Soundcloud, hearthis.at)
27) Wynn-Anne Rossi, Cotton Pickin' Blues ("Jazzin' Americana", B. 2) (Soundcloud, hearthis.at)
28) M. Mier, Persistent Rhythm ("Jazz, Rags & Blues", B. 3) (Soundcloud, hearthis.at)
29) M. Mier, Nocturne ("Romantic Impressions", B. 2) (Soundcloud, hearthis.at)

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
1. Moody Blues, For My Lady, circa 1972
2. Matt Munro's Walk Away, circa 1965
3. Martin Denny's The Enchanted Sea piano cover, circa 1957
4. Bond. James Bond. Piano cover of Froom Russia With Love instrumental by Mel Taylor and the Magics, circa 1965
5. Piano cover of Sleepwalk Composed and recorded by Santo and Johnny, circa 1959. Also recorded by the Ventures and the Shadows.
Backing track credit to Jose Churacca, found him on Youtube. Many thanks!
6. From Tea for the Tillerman, Cat Stevens, 1970 Sad Lisa
7. From the Elton John 1973 album of the same name Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
8. From the 1965 Beatles album Rubber Soul, Michelle
9. Inspired by the "5 pieces to play instead of Fur Elise" thread Ivan Sings Aram Khatchaturian

10. The Crystal Ship by The Doors, circa 1967. Song that was on the “B” side of Light My Fire
Not sure why I couldn't get the other links to work, but they are all on my YouTube channel

Last edited by trooplewis; 06/28/21 07:05 PM.

Casio PX-S3000
M
M
I've been keeping up with the thread without posting, so thought it's about time I made up for that!

Saan - I found the dynamics in your Scriabin very expressive, and the Granados waltzes were - poetic! I loved the birdsong!
I enjoyed your light touch in Mozart and was impressed that you play it by heart! Will you be learning the 3rd movement?
The Fughetta seems great fun to play. I remember printing some Zipoli a while back; I shall have to check if it includes it.

Andres Vel - Wow, you’ve already “done” so many! Your recordings are all so perfectly clean; you must be very proud of the standards you’ve achieved.
I’m also totally hooked on Schumann. Your performance of 68/5 is charming: you captured its simplicity and purity.
Bartok: 42/1 I enjoyed how playful this was - and then checked the title smile

Trooplewis - I love listening to your recordings as so different from what I play. You’ve inspired me to go on a downloading binge, and I’ve enjoyed sight-reading some Cat Stevens, Tom Waits and sundry others thanks to you. I’ll probably learn a couple once I’ve calmed down from the “feeding frenzy” - provided you don’t inspire me to download to many more.

Greta - wow, you’ve also done loads! I’m loving the Latin American and jazzy rhythms: such a refreshing change. I’ve added the Bach Siciliano to my “to do” list, and feel that I should finally learn the Marcello Adagio - about 35 years after my teacher first set it to me!

M
M
I hadn't updated my list in ages, and I've struggled to remember everything! I'm very gratified to see that I'm exactly half way through the challenge.

I was sight-reading through the Kirchner and loved the chords in no 1 so much I had to learn it. It’s a fun piece.

A very special friend recommended I learn some Field nocturnes more than 3 decades ago… Got there eventually! It’s sweet but I got bored of it and rarely play it anymore.

I was given Schumann’s Kinderszenen for my birthday in April and I am totally addicted. I want to play them ALL!

1. Schumann - Mai Lieber Mai - op 68 no 13
2. Grieg - Watchman's Song - op 12 no 3
3. Schumann - Wilder Reiter / The Wild Horseman - op 68 no 8
4. Schumann - Fröhlicher Landmann / The Happy Farmer - op 68 no 10
5. David Arnold - Good Omens (soundtrack arranged by "Becky_ on musecore)
6. Offenbach - Barcarolle
7. JS Bach - Invention no 7
8. Rameau - Gigue en Rondeau no 1
9. Cirri (Don Ignazio) - Sonata no 3
10. Grieg - Arietta - op 12 no.1
11. Massenet -Méditation
12. Chopin - Nocturne op 72 no1 in E minor
13. Kirchner, Thomas - op 62 no 1
14. Field - Nocturne no 1 in Eb major
15. Grieg - Dance of the Fairies op 12 no 4
16. Satie - 1ere Gnossienne
17. Schumann - A tale of distant lands op 15 no 1
18. Schumann - Curious story op 15 no 2
19. Schumann - Perfect happiness op no 4
20. Schumann - Traumerei op 15 no 7

Thanks trooplewis. I am going on summer vacation next week so I am hoping to record both my Schubert pieces before I go. I got a decent recording of one of them yesterday, so one down.

Originally Posted by AndresVel
Very nice additions Saan. I really liked the Granados piece. He was no in my music radar before but I think I will now listen to some more of his compositions.
The figuetta seems tricky! Now I see why it took you longer than expected.

Thanks AndresVel. Granados composed some really nice music. Yes, the Fughetta tricked me. It was so short and so very sight-readable, that I got it in my mind that it wouldn’t take long to learn. I am hoping that this challenge will also help me get better at estimating how long pieces will take to learn; right now I am pretty bad at it!

Originally Posted by Greta99
Saan, it was really lovely. Granados has been on my list for ages. Zipoli is short and sweet. Now I'm curious, what book do you have on your stand?

Thanks Greta99. The book is Classics to Moderns in the Intermediate Grades. I picked it up for sight reading and it has also turned out to be a good source for pieces for the challenge. The Granados Waltzes, the Fughetta and Grieg’s Saebygga all come from it.

Originally Posted by Monviso
Saan - I found the dynamics in your Scriabin very expressive, and the Granados waltzes were - poetic! I loved the birdsong!
I enjoyed your light touch in Mozart and was impressed that you play it by heart! Will you be learning the 3rd movement?
The Fughetta seems great fun to play. I remember printing some Zipoli a while back; I shall have to check if it includes it.

Thanks for your comments, Monviso. I was pretty happy with the birds accompanying me! I am working on the third movement of the Sonata now and trying to keep the first two movements up. I have a little dream of making a recording of all three movements—it’s about 30 minutes of music so it sounds a little daunting, but I do like a challenge.

Yamaha U3H
Originally Posted by Greta99
26) Wynn-Anne Rossi, Vals Peruano ("Música Latina", Bk 2) (Soundcloud, hearthis.at)
27) Wynn-Anne Rossi, Cotton Pickin' Blues ("Jazzin' Americana", B. 2) (Soundcloud, hearthis.at)
28) M. Mier, Persistent Rhythm ("Jazz, Rags & Blues", B. 3) (Soundcloud, hearthis.at)
29) M. Mier, Nocturne ("Romantic Impressions", B. 2) (Soundcloud, hearthis.at)

Beautiful playing as always Greta99. I am impressed with the consistent quality of your recordings.

10. The Crystal Ship by The Doors, circa 1967. Song that was on the “B” side of Light My Fire

I am still really enjoying your song choices. smile

Originally Posted by Monviso
I hadn't updated my list in ages, and I've struggled to remember everything! I'm very gratified to see that I'm exactly half way through the challenge.

I was sight-reading through the Kirchner and loved the chords in no 1 so much I had to learn it. It’s a fun piece.

A very special friend recommended I learn some Field nocturnes more than 3 decades ago… Got there eventually! It’s sweet but I got bored of it and rarely play it anymore.

I was given Schumann’s Kinderszenen for my birthday in April and I am totally addicted. I want to play them ALL!

Such a nice list you have, Monviso. I like playing the Kinderszenen too. I am intrigued about the Kirchner, I think I will look it up and add it to my sight reading queue.

Yamaha U3H
I am pretty excited to post a recording of the Schubert Moments Musicaux, which I have been working on for ages. I had a lot of trouble getting the chords in the A section nicely voiced and legato, but with persistence, I more or less got there. grin I will probably try to make a better recording after I get back from vacation (without background fan noise--it was so hot yesterday I couldn't stand to turn the fan off even just for the recording--and with a freshly tuned piano, which I have been holding off on until after my trip).

1. Chopin, Prelude Op. 28 No. 20
2. Scarlatti, Sonata in F minor K.466
3. Bach, Prelude in C minor BWV 847
4. Bach, Fugue in C minor BWV 847
5. Mozart, Sonata K570, first movement
6. Grieg, Op. 12 No.1 Arietta
7. Scriabin, Prelude Op. 16 No. 4
8. Mozart, Sonata K570, second movement
9. Granados, Valses Poéticos, No. 3
10. Grieg, Saebygga (Op. 17 No. 21)
11. Granados, Valses Poéticos, No. 6
12. Zipoli, Fughetta in E minor
13. Schubert, Moments Musicaux Op. 94 No. 2

Yamaha U3H
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Saan
I am pretty excited to post a recording of the Schubert Moments Musicaux, which I have been working on for ages. I had a lot of trouble getting the chords in the A section nicely voiced and legato, but with persistence, I more or less got there. grin I will probably try to make a better recording after I get back from vacation (without background fan noise--it was so hot yesterday I couldn't stand to turn the fan off even just for the recording--and with a freshly tuned piano, which I have been holding off on until after my trip).

Sounds great! Nice work, I really enjoyed that piece. I wish I could play that well or I'd be happy if I could even just be that relaxed once the camera turns on.

I also like that your signature says "23 year break" does that mean you let those 12 years really sink in then came back better than ever?

Last edited by Sebs; 06/30/21 02:04 PM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Saan, nice work on that Schubert piece. That is a LONG moment to have to play!

Casio PX-S3000
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S

Last edited by Sebs; 06/30/21 06:07 PM.
Originally Posted by Sebs
Sounds great! Nice work, I really enjoyed that piece. I wish I could play that well or I'd be happy if I could even just be that relaxed once the camera turns on.

I also like that your signature says "23 year break" does that mean you let those 12 years really sink in then came back better than ever?

Thanks, Sebs. It has only taken me 13 years of lessons to be able to play like this. laugh I stopped playing when I went to university, and then decided to travel the world (the piano didn't fit in my suitcase). I always intended to get back to piano "someday." The break was way too long and I realized it was in danger of becoming permanent. So I decided to try to start playing again and see what happened. I am so fortunate to have had childhood piano lessons!

I noticed your Unchained Melody has the same broken chord pattern in the LH as my Schubert Moments Musicaux. So you are on your way!

Yamaha U3H
The recording of the Schubert Impromptu has a few mistakes in it but it will have to do. (I can play it well when I'm not recording but I need to take it to another level to play it well with the camera going). I leave for my trip on Saturday and I don't want to be recording the day before I leave. Like the Moments Musicaux I might try recording it again after I get my piano tuned. But I'm definitely feeling "finished" with this one and wanted to add it to the list before my little break.

14. Schubert, Impromptu Op. 90 No. 2

Yamaha U3H
K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
Saan, such an impressive list of pieces you have added recently. Not just impressive though, a real lovely feel to them which you capture nicely. I do like Schubert, just not yet anything that I can play.

Greta99 I like your Martha Mier pieces, now here are some tunes I think I could pick up, though once again they'll slow my progress for this challenge. A nice Latin feel you give to the Wynn-Anne Rossi pieces.

I enjoyed the brave horseman and unchained melody Sebs. Unchained is yet another piece I could enjoy learning.

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by KevinM
Saan, such an impressive list of pieces you have added recently. Not just impressive though, a real lovely feel to them which you capture nicely. I do like Schubert, just not yet anything that I can play.

Greta99 I like your Martha Mier pieces, now here are some tunes I think I could pick up, though once again they'll slow my progress for this challenge. A nice Latin feel you give to the Wynn-Anne Rossi pieces.

I enjoyed the brave horseman and unchained melody Sebs. Unchained is yet another piece I could enjoy learning.

Thanks @KevinM. Your playing of the Little Prelude in C minor sounded fantastic!

Last edited by Sebs; 07/02/21 12:25 PM.
Page 21 of 25 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Garritan with Sibelius "sound set" ?
by RinTin - 09/28/21 03:13 PM
help teaching an autistic child
by sheilaju - 09/28/21 02:33 PM
Old Kawai MP6
by johan d - 09/28/21 02:04 PM
Half Pedaling reality check
by Dore - 09/28/21 12:47 PM
Confused.
by Cutec - 09/28/21 10:43 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Our Free Newsletter for Piano Lovers!
The summer edition of our free newsletter
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,335
Posts3,135,861
Members102,845
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission