2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
51 members (AprilE, 1957, ambrozy, Bostonmoores, danno858, 17 invisible), 1,379 guests, and 544 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
OP Offline
S
Hello everyone. I've been wondering about the sound difference between these two. Personally, I had always recorded MIDI on my digital piano and applied VSTs to it later on. While being passable and probably nice to casual listeners, it’s nowhere near the sound quality that I want to attain, in comparison with other videos on YT whether professionally made or not, as it sounds dry, veiled and synthetic to my ears, despite using the very same VST and settings. An example of what I’m talking about is THIS (Garritan CFX). Only recently I’ve had the chance to record the CFX live and the sound seems better and more realistic than the former, with the reverb being more noticeable as in THIS VIDEO, although I only used a MIDI cable instead of an audio interface (I do have one – the Roland Quad-capture, but I have troubles configuring it to work with my Mac). Lastly, I’ve always had this thought: if applying VSTs to MIDI sounds just as good as live recording, then the former would be the obvious choice for polished-to- perfection recording as you can freely edit notes. And also, what’s the point of buying an expensive digital piano when you can opt for a cheap one and use the best piano VSTs? Bar the appearance, speakers and gimmicky features, I guess the only difference here is the key action? But then, if you record through the aforementioned, then it doesn't matter much. I’d like to hear your opinions, as I’m just a novice music lover and record for fun. Have a good day!

P.S.: If anyone happens to have the same audio interface, please contact me. I can’t figure out how to properly set it up to receive MIDI signals. The driver was successfully installed. By the way, does a good audio interface increase the sound quality, compared to MIDI cables? One thing I know for sure is the latency is greatly reduced though. But for my current setup, the MIDI cable works just fine with no noticeable delay.

Last edited by Saberlarry; 06/24/21 11:44 PM.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Saberlarry
Hello everyone. I've been wondering about the sound difference between these two. Personally, I had always recorded MIDI on my digital piano and applied VSTs to it later on. While being passable and probably nice to casual listeners, it’s nowhere near the sound quality that I want to attain, in comparison with other videos on YT whether professionally made or not, as it sounds dry, veiled and synthetic to my ears, despite using the very same VST and settings. An example of what I’m talking about is THIS (Garritan CFX).

You can buy Virtual Instruments in a package, but you can't buy sound engineering skills in a package. If you have no clue how to use DAW plugins, your mixes will sound like crap.

And also, what’s the point of buying an expensive digital piano when you can opt for a cheap one and use the best piano VSTs?

Because cheap digital pianos are crap and VIs relentlessly expose that. VIs are meant to go beyond high-end digital pianos (Yamaha AvantGrand, Kawai Novus) for production-quality recordings - when you pay someone who knows how to create such. Depending on your mix your MIDI controller needs to be on par with Yamaha AG or Novus NV and will cost as much.

VIs don't serve as magical purification plant for your cheap digital piano or controller. Garbage in, garbage out.

Yamaha P-515
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Recording while listening your DP and afterward send it to a virtual piano seems me a bad idea. When you play, your fingers adapt their strength to what you hear which permits the intended intensity (and timbre). The virtual piano will have surely an other velocity/intensity curve, then you won’t have exactly what you have played.

Yamaha CLP150, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
A
A
Sure, but you can adjust MIDI values in DAW post-recording, match it to specific VST you want to render with. It's quite common practice.

Ars non habet osorem nisi ignorantem
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A FP-90 is not a bad controller per se, but a hybrid one will get better results.

Ideally you're playing and listening to a real acoustic grand piano while recording the MIDI track through the means of Yamaha SH et al.

Yamaha P-515
C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
And also, what’s the point of buying an expensive digital piano when you can opt for a cheap one and use the best piano VSTs?

To not have to use a VST.

Bar the appearance, speakers and gimmicky features, I guess the only difference here is the key action?

Typically the better piano sound engines are found in the more expensive models.

But then, if you record through the aforementioned, then it doesn't matter much.

The action matters.

(But exactly how much depends on the player i.e. is he/she in any way limited by a "less good" action.)

...the sound seems better and more realistic than the former, with the reverb being more noticeable as in THIS VIDEO, although I only used a MIDI cable instead of an audio interface...

The audio interface isn't going to make any difference since you record MIDI or play a virtual instrument via MIDI and the final sound is generated only in the VST.

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
I prefer playing live because I can control the VST and adapt my touch to it. I took a listen to the OP's video and it sounds kind of flat to me in dynamics. I believe because Garritan CFX has a very detailed velocity mapping compared to a typical digital piano's default piano sound, the playing experience will not be the same. Hope this made sense. smile

V
V
Saberlarry: just to clarify... When you mention "live" is that using the VST sound (headphones for example) or the internal roland sound? If so, both situations lead to very different sound. In contrast, live VST play and midi playback of the same performance through the same VST should result in the same sound.

S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by David Lai
I prefer playing live because I can control the VST and adapt my touch to it. I took a listen to the OP's video and it sounds kind of flat to me in dynamics. I believe because Garritan CFX has a very detailed velocity mapping compared to a typical digital piano's default piano sound, the playing experience will not be the same. Hope this made sense. smile

Thanks for replying. I hope that only one video sounds flat to you, which is the processed-MIDI video, not the live-recorded one? If both sounds flat, then it's my incompetence as a player.

Originally Posted by vagfilm
Saberlarry: just to clarify... When you mention "live" is that using the VST sound (headphones for example) or the internal roland sound? If so, both situations lead to very different sound. In contrast, live VST play and midi playback of the same performance through the same VST should result in the same sound.

I mean the first case where I use headphones to listen to the VST coming from my computer, obviously connected with my digital piano. Surely it's not placebo but I swear I prefer the live-recorded sound as shown in my first post to the other video where MIDI playback using the same VST + settings was applied.

Last edited by Saberlarry; 06/28/21 12:12 AM.
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by AlphaBravoCharlie
Sure, but you can adjust MIDI values in DAW post-recording, match it to specific VST you want to render with. It's quite common practice.

This has been driving me nuts as I swear it sounds more realistic and fuller when live recording, whereas MIDI playback is flat and dull. Did you find any difference at all in my examples? At this rate I would soon become delusional haha.

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E

This has been driving me nuts as I swear it sounds more realistic and fuller when live recording, whereas MIDI playback is flat and dull. Did you find any difference at all in my examples? At this rate I would soon become delusional haha.

I wouldn’t use the words ‘more realistic and fuller’ in describing the first clip. ‘bright and thin’, is for me especially compared to the second, is a more reasonable description.

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by emenelton

I wouldn’t use the words ‘more realistic and fuller’ in describing the first clip. ‘bright and thin’, is for me especially compared to the second, is a more reasonable description.

Maybe I made a mistake; is the first video the one ‘post live’?

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

Please try the following:

1. Sit down at any Yamaha acoustic piano with the manufacturer's silent option installed. Go to a store if you don't have one available elsewhere. Preferably use a Yamaha grand piano. Doesn't have to be a CFX though.

2. DON'T plugin headphones, DON'T engage the silent rail.

3. Plug in your USB drive

4. Record a "MIDI song" to your USB drive:

a. Press the Mode button until "Song" lights up.
b. Press the Select button until "S" shows up in display
c. Press the Rec button.

4. Perform your piece.

5. Import the MIDI file from the USB drive into your DAW and feed it through to your VST plugin. Adjust the plugin settings until it sounds nice, then export the mixdown.

6. Upload the results to YouTube.

We will assess if that still sounds flat and dull.

Yamaha P-515
V
V
It's almost impossible to compare the sound between 2 different recordings of 2 different pieces. If you want to put to rest any doubt that live MIDI through Garritan, sounds or not identical to MIDI playback through Garritan, you need to perform a strict comparison:

connect the p515 to the Garritan, play a piece live, and record the audio output from garritan AND at the same time record the MIDI file of that performance inside the p515. Then playback the p515 MIDI file through garritan and record the output audio of that "non-live" version. In theory they should sound absolutely identical.

J
J
It's almost impossible to compare the sound between 2 different recordings of 2 different pieces. If you want to put to rest any doubt that live MIDI through Garritan, sounds or not identical to MIDI playback through Garritan, you need to perform a strict comparison:

connect the p515 to the Garritan, play a piece live, and record the audio output from garritan AND at the same time record the MIDI file of that performance inside the p515. Then playback the p515 MIDI file through garritan and record the output audio of that "non-live" version. In theory they should sound absolutely identical.

this

A
A
The only possibility those recordings will sound different from each other is magic and magic does not exist. Though there might be a difference in those 2 scenarios when it comes to 'sound perception': more critical listening happens when you're not focusing on making your body move to produce sound from the instrument.

Ars non habet osorem nisi ignorantem
R
Online Sleepy
R
The only possible reason I can think of is that in the live recording, it's possible that the VST drops the number of samples or sound quality due to limited processing power on your PC. The resulting sound will be different and can subjectively feel better in some situations.

V
V
Originally Posted by ranjit
The only possible reason I can think of is that in the live recording, it's possible that the VST drops the number of samples or sound quality due to limited processing power on your PC. The resulting sound will be different and can subjectively feel better in some situations.
If the OP is not rendering through a daw, the processing power should be the same in both situations...

What alphabravocharlie said is most probably the cause. Otherwise, yamaha has a midi implementation for live output and another one for internal recording. Not likely.

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E

A simpler; record the midi and audio at the same time in the daw.

S
OP Offline
S

The first clip is a MIDI playback using Garritan CFX, and yes, your description is spot on.

A simpler; record the midi and audio at the same time in the daw.[/quote]

That's what I plan to do in the next performance!

@All: I wish I could upvote/like your replies but this forum doesn't have that function, and I don't want to quote every single post and make this thread look like a mess. Thanks for your suggestions and comments. Really sorry for not using the same song for comparison, but I hope you get my idea - I think anyone who plays any musical instruments for a while has more "developed", discerning ears to casual listeners, and to my thoughts exactly, you guys give the same opinion about the sound quality of my MIDI playback. In general, all of my previous videos that used Garritan CFX via MIDI playback sounds thin and dull, even though I use the same settings as "rach3master" on YouTube. Since I almost never get the chance to play on a real piano and my music theory is almost non-existent (I only know how to read notes), my competence as a pianist is strictly limited, so I might not be able to bring out the best of the pieces I've learnt.

THIS VIDEO is a very good demonstration of how beautiful the CFX is when played by the right person with the right equipment. I personally asked the uploader and he said apart from boosting the volume, he doesn't do anything else to the final product.

THIS VIDEO is played by another pianist on YouTube. Though he doesn't reveal his setup, subjectively I'd say he uses Garritan CFX as well and his videos utilise the MIDI playback function (?). The reason why I choose this channel is because according to his bio, he's classically-trained, so he should be able to express nuances good enough, and most importantly, I haven't found any other channel that meets the previous filter + sounds similar to my CFX-playback videos. Please note that this is my personal feeling and it could very well be wrong and I'm delusional here :<.

Anyway, regarding audio interfaces (AI) for recording VIs, I'd like to have the following enquiries:
- I believe they only help with the latency and (maybe) less hiss/background noise when live recording, otherwise there wouldn't be any difference at all between a printer cable and an AI?
- Because I couldn't get my AI setup to work, I currently have to make do with the AI's printer cable and surprisingly there is no tangible latency at all. If the answer of the first question is No difference, then should I just sell my AI, since the printer cable already does a good job?

Thank you all for reading.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Everett upright Regulation
by wenhen90 - 07/31/21 06:57 PM
Marx
by dolce sfogato - 07/31/21 04:05 PM
Self-teaching and looking for good exercises
by TORaptors2019 - 07/31/21 03:46 PM
ES110 Static/Buzzing on Certain Keys?
by mikechang503 - 07/31/21 02:40 PM
Music's greatest teacher
by pianoloverus - 07/31/21 02:22 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics208,310
Posts3,117,981
Members102,295
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission