2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
51 members (BlakeOR, CaseyVancouver, Alex C, Bett, Beansparrow, AprilE, Carey, 13 invisible), 1,276 guests, and 660 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3131041 06/24/21 02:15 PM
S
Steve_B Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hi there. I hope you're all well.

I'm hoping someone might be able to help me. I have a Kawai MP8 that I'd like to use as a master keyboard for some VSTs. Unfortunately, when I try to use it via MIDI or USB-MIDI there is a noticeable latency from the key being pressed and the MIDI being transmitted. I've set Logic X (and my RME AI) up with a very low audio latency to try to fix this (which works fine when I use other MIDI keyboards) but there's still a noticeable latency with the MP8. I've updated the MP8 OS to the most recent version hoping that it would fix the issue, but it's still the same.

Does anyone know if there is a way to improve the MIDI output timing, for example using some of the more advanced setup options in the Kawai that might help me?

Many thanks
Steve

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
I have to ask:

. . . How are you measuring the MIDI delay _attributed to the MP8_ ?

Thanks --

EDIT:

. . . I've set Logic X (and my RME AI) up with a very low audio latency to try to fix this (which works fine when I use other MIDI keyboards) but there's still a noticeable latency with the MP8. . . .

So it's got high latency "by ear", compared to other keyboards you've used?

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq
S
Steve_B Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hi Charles,

Many thanks for the reply.

Yes, it's just by playing the keys and then hearing the sound slightly after. If I plug in another keyboard/MIDI controller and play, the sound matches the key press but with the MP8 is doesn't (or matches the MP8's own sound output). I know from the original MP8 review in SOS there was mention of there being a similar issue with the MIDI but I was hoping the most recent OS would have improved it.

I then thought that maybe there was so much MIDI information being transmitted by the MP8, that perhaps there was a way to filter the MIDI output data down to just the note on/off, velocity, release etc. which might help with the latency.

I hope that makes sense

Thanks
Steve

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
It makes perfect sense -- thank you. I just went back to the SOS review and read the description of the problem.

I agree with you, I'd hope it would have been fixed in the past 17 years. I wish I had something to offer.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hello Steve,

I'm not aware of any MIDI-related issues with the MP8. This was and still is quite a popular board for playing VIs, so if there were any inherent latency issues, I expect we would have heard about them by now. I have an MP8II at home which does not have any issues with MIDI latency (either driving a Nord via DIN MIDI or Logic on my Mac via USB-MIDI).

You mentioned updating the firmware to the latest version, however have you also tried performing a Factory Reset?

Originally Posted by Steve B
If I plug in another keyboard/MIDI controller and play, the sound matches the key press...

Are you using exactly the same cables and MIDI interface to connect the MP8?

Have you purchased the MP8 recently? If so, I assume it was purchased second hand? I wonder if there could be a hardware-related issue with the instrument?

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
Just an idea but rather than routing to a PC (which can have their own complications when it comes to MIDI latency) have you tried connecting any kind of sound source directly to the MIDI DIN output on the back of the MP8? Anything that makes a noise and accepts a MIDI input would do: sound module, synth, another DP, phone/tablet with OTG cable and running a MIDI app etc.

This might help to isolate exactly where the latency issue resides: is it the pianos own MIDI or is it something about the delivery route when going via USB, PC drivers, etc.

Last edited by 1903wrightflyer; 06/25/21 04:51 AM.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Titanic Piano
by Dakota - 07/24/21 11:50 PM
Ten greatest Chopin works
by pianoloverus - 07/24/21 08:34 PM
KORG DS-1H pedal issues with Korg D1
by Mta88 - 07/24/21 04:28 PM
What is this musical symbol?
by pianoloverus - 07/24/21 02:55 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics208,193
Posts3,116,075
Members102,225
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission