2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
47 members (Bett, Azunyan, Ed McMorrow, RPT, AprilE, 14 invisible), 1,376 guests, and 545 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
OP Offline
R
Hi

I got the stage version so I could try out the Bechstein.

I don't find anybody else complain about this, but, I find the pianoteq sound uncontrollable.

Quite often a note will just blast out for no reason.

I was wondering if anybody knows of a setting I can tweak. I tried calibrating the curve and that made it even worse.

Ron
Kawai CA79

Personally I find ravenscroft and Roland pureacoustic more uneven in volume in some notes than pianoteq. Pianoteq was almost perfectly sterile out of the box. Unfortunately you do have to go up go Pianoteq standard to get that per note edit feature (a must-have feature for me).

Last edited by Beansparrow; 06/23/21 10:55 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
If you right-click on the velocity curve graph, you can select basic Velocity Curve Presets to see what works best with your keyboard action. This might help you narrow down the problem.

Right-click Menu
[Linked Image]

Example of a velocity curve that works with a "slow keyboard" action. For example, the Roland FP-30 PHA-4.
[Linked Image]

Example of a velocity curve that works with a "fast keyboard" action. For example, the "springy" action Roland Go Piano.
[Linked Image]

We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams.
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
For some notes to sound jarringly loud, would indicate an "unfriendly "piano amplifier/speaker set up towards incoming VSTs. Might also be a location fault in the room, but that would not be too apparent imo.
As stated, Pianotew Standard is well worth the extra; you get an extra piano too, and note by note volume editing.
I wish I'd got it from the outset, but I think Standard only acquired note by note recently.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by ronlefebvre
Quite often a note will just blast out for no reason.

What do you mean exactly?
- A loud note is played when no note was expected at all.
- A note is played when expected but it's louder than expected. Is it always the same or more or less random?

Are you using a direct USB link from Kawai to computer or a USB-MIDI adapter?

I guess some of the potential problems are:
- There's a problem with the MIDI data coming in.
- You "feel" some notes being louder when they are not.
- Some notes are louder because with the current Pianoteq settings its velocity response is different from the Kawai and you play as you would on the Kawai which leads to unexpected response.

Did you try restarting Pianoteq?

Yesterday, I was, well... whatever you want to call what I do on a piano... with Pianoteq, and suddenly I heard a static-like noise, and thereafter there was a HUGE delay between playing a note and hearing the note. Turning the VPC1 off and back on did not fix the problem, but closing and reopening Pianoteq did. All is well now. smile

What can I tell you; it's still just a piece of software, subject to bugs and glitches, even on a stable platform like my MacBook Pro.

"I think it's the excitement only a free man can feel; a free man at the start of a long journey, whose conclusion is uncertain." -- Morgan Freeman's character, "Red", in The Shawshank Redemption
R
OP Offline
R
I uninstalled everything and started over. Everything seems fine this morning.

I still find the difference between playing soft and loud to be sever.
It seems to take very little for a note to be played to loud.

I have never had that happen to me before.

and yet, if I play a scale soft to loud, it sounds nice and gradual.
If I play a middle E and then say a middle C, the C very easily rings out like I just used a hammer on the piano.

I guess I will have to play with settings more.

Thanks for the help.

Ron

R
OP Offline
R
Turns out I was using the wrong velocity curve. I was playing around with the Dynamic but that was not really helping.

I changed the velocity curve the the default moderate fast preset and it 's pretty good.

May have to play around with it and other settings, but at least now it's playable.

Ron

Thanks all

Originally Posted by Groove On
If you right-click on the velocity curve graph, you can select basic Velocity Curve Presets to see what works best with your keyboard action. This might help you narrow down the problem.

Right-click Menu
[Linked Image]

Example of a velocity curve that works with a "slow keyboard" action. For example, the Roland FP-30 PHA-4.
[Linked Image]

Example of a velocity curve that works with a "fast keyboard" action. For example, the "springy" action Roland Go Piano.
[Linked Image]

You can try using the calibration assistant to get a baseline velocity curve for your controller. From there you can do manual adjustments. Strike a key using a variety of attacks (pp p….f ff) the value will light up on the velocity graph. Adjust to the sound you like, usually I have it different curves for each piano.

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
It could be your keyboard, but (unless you're a really good pianist) it's more likely to be your fingers, and the "Dynamics" setting.

. . . Have you tried turning the "Dynamics" slider down to 30 dB ?

Most of the "stock" Pianoteq pre-sets seem to run around 40 dB, and a few might go as high as 50 dB.

I have tried playing with Dynamics=60 dB, and IMHO the instrument becomes uncontrollable -- I can't play a scale evenly.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq
R
OP Offline
R
That is interesting. I have been going the other way with the Dynamics slider.

Will try bringing it down to 30 and see.

Have you also noticed that pianoteq seems to play louder then other VST's. I wonder if you guys bring the volume down a little.

I would really like to make this work. I really like the sound of the Bechstein. I even like the Petrov.

Ron

Originally Posted by Charles Cohen
It could be your keyboard, but (unless you're a really good pianist) it's more likely to be your fingers, and the "Dynamics" setting.

. . . Have you tried turning the "Dynamics" slider down to 30 dB ?

Most of the "stock" Pianoteq pre-sets seem to run around 40 dB, and a few might go as high as 50 dB.

I have tried playing with Dynamics=60 dB, and IMHO the instrument becomes uncontrollable -- I can't play a scale evenly.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Sometimes with some controllers, a gentle lead in is helpful to achieve a controllable softer touch which can be very useful. Then the gradient sharpens up quite dramtically, hitting the ceiling at the right hand corner, or even before then, so you don't have to destroy your keys to achieve that max.
My controller is the good ole P515. It's totally different from that on my FP50 which utilised Pianoteq's default straight line.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Everett upright Regulation
by wenhen90 - 07/31/21 06:57 PM
Marx
by dolce sfogato - 07/31/21 04:05 PM
Self-teaching and looking for good exercises
by TORaptors2019 - 07/31/21 03:46 PM
ES110 Static/Buzzing on Certain Keys?
by mikechang503 - 07/31/21 02:40 PM
Music's greatest teacher
by pianoloverus - 07/31/21 02:22 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics208,310
Posts3,117,987
Members102,295
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission