2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
40 members (AprilE, anotherpianoplayer, Bett, Azunyan, 11 invisible), 1,352 guests, and 550 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3130886 06/23/21 09:56 PM
T
OP Offline
T
I plan to look at and play for possible purchase, a baby grand piano with Bachendorff on the fall board in the Dallas area. I have searched the internet for all I can possibly find. Best I can determine it was a house brand piano from the Dallas area and that store is no longer owned by the same person. From Larry Fine's 2003-2004 Supplement Book I found that Bachendorff was the name in between an Ibach Daewoo joint venture and when Ibach started making the piano themselves again. Any information would be appreciated.

I thought I was reading Bosendorfer? The piano however is a Bachendorff. I am sorry I have not heard of a piano called Bachendorff.

My piano is my friend and my voice to the great unknown out there.One never ignores a friend.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Here's what the 2003-04 book says specifically:

"The Ibach-Daewoo joint venture mentioned in The Piano Book was
discontinued and the Korean manufacturing operation was sold by Daewoo
to an investment group that continued to manufacture pianos in Korea on a
limited basis. These pianos were distributed for a time in the U.S. under the
name Bachendorff (an arrangement now discontinued) and in Canada under
the name Royale."

Last edited by Carey; 06/24/21 12:45 AM.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
T
OP Offline
T
This is what I have found looking online as well as what was mentioned in Larry Fine's The Piano Book

“USED Bachendorff 6' Grand Piano with matching bench in high polished Mahogany finish. Piano features an incredible tone and wide range of volume from booming bass to soft champagne glass highs in the treble end. The action is consistent from bottom to top; tone is warm rounded and beautiful; the overall timbre makes playing this piano a real treat.”

“exquisite Bachendorff baby grand piano is a mint condition instrument. A big sound thanks to its responsive action makes for a perfect first-time grand piano or a smart upgrade from an upright.“

"Bachendorff Grand pianos are fitted with soundboards of solid Sitka spruce planks, seasoned for optimal performance. Top quailty spruce is the best wood for piano soundboards because it’s unique grain structure maximizes the sound transmission and fully enhances the tone.
While pianos are percussion instruments, Bachendorff likes to think of them as string instruments. Just as with a beautiful Violin, a piano’s unique voice begins with it’s strings. The correct selection of strings and the voicing of the piano are the crucial elements in creating the lush, smooth, “European” sound produced from every Bachendorff piano."

"Bachendorff Series including BU upright pianos and BG grand pianos. Designed by German elite piano designer Mr. Mitchell Lowther, this series of products combined traditional German piano design, and the modern technology.

Bachendorff using German ROSLAU strings, spruce soundboard, ebony black keys, Germany 3A felt hammer and action. Comfortable to play, has a rich sound."

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
6000 Post Club Member
As contrived names go, I kinda like this one. thumb

How to Upload Pictures
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

Last edited by tre corda; 06/24/21 09:58 PM.

My piano is my friend and my voice to the great unknown out there.One never ignores a friend.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I’m curious exactly which of those quotes in the post (three above this) came from Larry Fine. None of that sounds like his writing, nor would some of the errors have made it past his maddeningly picky copy editor…

It’s a 90s Korean “stencil” piano. Probably entry-level in the US market for its size. And now it’s probably pushing 30 years old. We don’t know who actually owned the operation that built them.

If it’s for a serious student, I’d keep looking (what’s your budget and approximate location?).
If it’s for decorator use or occasional play for parties, holidays, etc. it’s probably fine, so long as it holds a tuning (when was it last tuned?) and all the keys and pedals work properly.

On that store’s site, if you’re looking at used grands, the Baldwin R and Kawai GE2 are probably better prospects.

My upright piano is for sale!
Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
T
OP Offline
T
Sorry about my typo. I meant to say in addition to. A previous post by Carey quoted Larry Fine's comments in his book.

Its currently for sale by an individual. It has a QRS PNO3 with Scan/Record. My total budget travel and moving it is $10,000. This particular piano, if it turned out to be a good piano has the nice added feature of the player system.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
For reference, a brand new Young Chang or Weber 6’1 (a more modern equivalent to that piano) could probably be purchased for $13,500-14,500, which would have a manufacturer’s warranty.

If it’s tunable and working properly with a decent touch and tone (double check the player system works properly and the pedals function well), you may wish to make a slightly lower offer.

My upright piano is for sale!
Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
if you do buy that piano, please have it or any used piano checked by an independent technician.The price to me seems far too high.

V
V
Originally Posted by trr04002
This is what I have found looking online as well as what was mentioned in Larry Fine's The Piano Book

“USED Bachendorff 6' Grand Piano with matching bench in high polished Mahogany finish. Piano features an incredible tone and wide range of volume from booming bass to soft champagne glass highs in the treble end. The action is consistent from bottom to top; tone is warm rounded and beautiful; the overall timbre makes playing this piano a real treat.”

“exquisite Bachendorff baby grand piano is a mint condition instrument. A big sound thanks to its responsive action makes for a perfect first-time grand piano or a smart upgrade from an upright.“

"Bachendorff Grand pianos are fitted with soundboards of solid Sitka spruce planks, seasoned for optimal performance. Top quailty spruce is the best wood for piano soundboards because it’s unique grain structure maximizes the sound transmission and fully enhances the tone.
While pianos are percussion instruments, Bachendorff likes to think of them as string instruments. Just as with a beautiful Violin, a piano’s unique voice begins with it’s strings. The correct selection of strings and the voicing of the piano are the crucial elements in creating the lush, smooth, “European” sound produced from every Bachendorff piano."

"Bachendorff Series including BU upright pianos and BG grand pianos. Designed by German elite piano designer Mr. Mitchell Lowther, this series of products combined traditional German piano design, and the modern technology.

Bachendorff using German ROSLAU strings, spruce soundboard, ebony black keys, Germany 3A felt hammer and action. Comfortable to play, has a rich sound."

All of these quotes above mostly sounds like meaningless "marketing-speak" and have little bearing on the quality of the piano, much less the actual piano you are looking at purchasing.

Get it checked out, negotiate it down. If they won't negotiate, move on.

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Everett upright Regulation
by wenhen90 - 07/31/21 06:57 PM
Marx
by dolce sfogato - 07/31/21 04:05 PM
Self-teaching and looking for good exercises
by TORaptors2019 - 07/31/21 03:46 PM
ES110 Static/Buzzing on Certain Keys?
by mikechang503 - 07/31/21 02:40 PM
Music's greatest teacher
by pianoloverus - 07/31/21 02:22 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics208,310
Posts3,117,987
Members102,295
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission