2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
45 members (AprilE, 1957, ambrozy, Bostonmoores, danno858, 15 invisible), 1,394 guests, and 513 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
OP Offline
N
Hello everyone,

I just bought a new house and now I finally some room (and money) to buy my dream upright piano, the Yamaha U1.

The thing is, the house is not very big, I would have no other choice but to put it at one specific place in the living room (see the linked picture: https://ibb.co/ftt3SG6).
I have read online that you shouldn't put your piano on an exterior wall nor beside a fan because of the temperature/humidity variations, although what you see on the picture is not a fan but a heat pump that I could position so that the air doesn't go directly on the piano (I don't know if it changes something). Also take in consideration that I live in Canada and our winters sure tend to be cold.

Knowing all this, my question is, it is very concerning to still choose to put it here, since I don't have any other place? If the answer is yes, is there any thing I could do to limit the temperature/humidity fluctuations?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Nicolas J.; 06/23/21 01:41 PM.
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
It depends on how good the insulation is. But in any case, you have to live with what you have to live with.

Semipro Tech
As BDB says, as long as the wall is well insulated for both winter and summer.No you cannot have any warm air blowing on your piano.Wood parts including soundboard and bridges could crack.It would shorten the life of your piano.
If the wall is not well insulated perhaps you could keep the back of the piano covered.By the way buy a cheap digital hygrometer to keep an eye on humidty changes.

My piano is my friend and my voice to the great unknown out there.One never ignores a friend.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
So you would have the piano directly underneath the AC/heating unit up on the wall, the mini-split? Can you set the blades to that they point directly outward (horizontal) and have the fan speed at the very lowest setting? It might be ok, but then would your room be too cold?

I think the concern for you will be that in the winter, the room will be very dry, so what can you do to mitigate that? Is there a piano dealer in your city? They would be the best place to ask because they will have specific advice that fits the local climate.

Also, is there really no other wall the piano could go on? I'm not worried about the outside wall so much as I am about that mini-split unit. What is on the wall directly opposite the wall in the photo?

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
K
Online Content
K
If the wall is well insulated and you keep the piano 4-6” out from the wall you should be okay. This assumes you run a humidifier as necessary and the wall mounted mini-split is set to direct the air straight out into the room.

Our home has had an acoustic piano on an outside wall for over 50 years without any trouble. We know the wall is well insulated and has good airflow between the piano and wall.

2021 Yamaha U1
2021 Yamaha P-515

1993 Roland KR-4500 (1993-2021)
1965 Baldwin Acrosonic (1966-1993)
K
Online Content
K
Originally Posted by KSCardinal
If the wall is well insulated and you keep the piano 4-6” out from the wall you should be okay. This assumes you run a humidifier as necessary and the wall mounted mini-split is set to direct the air straight out into the room.

Our home has had an acoustic piano on an outside wall for over 50 years without any trouble. We know the wall is well insulated and has good airflow between the piano and wall.

I forgot to say that I don’t think the mini-splits fan speed would be a factor as long as the directional fins are fixed in a straight out fashion. I’m assuming that the unit only provides heat due to your location. Heated air being less dense tends to stay high in the room and slowly move downward as opposed to falling quickly directly on the piano.

2021 Yamaha U1
2021 Yamaha P-515

1993 Roland KR-4500 (1993-2021)
1965 Baldwin Acrosonic (1966-1993)
N
OP Offline
N
Originally Posted by tre corda
As BDB says, as long as the wall is well insulated for both winter and summer.No you cannot have any warm air blowing on your piano.Wood parts including soundboard and bridges could crack.It would shorten the life of your piano.
If the wall is not well insulated perhaps you could keep the back of the piano covered.By the way buy a cheap digital hygrometer to keep an eye on humidty changes.

I already have an hygrometer, humidity these days stays around 50%, which is good I think. I'll have to see if it doesn't get too dry during the winter, which in this case I can always buy a humidifier.

N
OP Offline
N
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
So you would have the piano directly underneath the AC/heating unit up on the wall, the mini-split? Can you set the blades to that they point directly outward (horizontal) and have the fan speed at the very lowest setting? It might be ok, but then would your room be too cold?

I think the concern for you will be that in the winter, the room will be very dry, so what can you do to mitigate that? Is there a piano dealer in your city? They would be the best place to ask because they will have specific advice that fits the local climate.

Also, is there really no other wall the piano could go on? I'm not worried about the outside wall so much as I am about that mini-split unit. What is on the wall directly opposite the wall in the photo?

Yes, directly underneath and yes I can set the air to go horizontally. I think I can always buy a humidifier if it gets too dry. Trust me I have checked every place in the house and no where else would be a good place, it would either be in the basement (good luck managing humidity), in the way, too close to an outside door or blocking a window...

N
OP Offline
N

I forgot to say that I don’t think the mini-splits fan speed would be a factor as long as the directional fins are fixed in a straight out fashion. I’m assuming that the unit only provides heat due to your location. Heated air being less dense tends to stay high in the room and slowly move downward as opposed to falling quickly directly on the piano.

I think the walls are well insulated, as well as the windows, they're not really old and no signs of leaking air, moisture/moss. To answer your question, the mini-split produces heat or A/C, but I never liked to use A/C except during intense heatwaves (yes, it can sometimes happens here in Canada, trust me!)

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Since you don't have another location option (which I totally understand!) then go with that spot, and just set the mini-split direction horizontal.

I think you should be fine as long you monitor it. You may find that you need a humidifier in the winter when it's very cold.

But the U1 is a great piano and super resilient, I bet it will be fine.

My first acoustic piano was a (used) U1. I loved that piano so much!!

Good luck and keep us posted! smile

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
M
M
From what I can fathom, the "exterior wall" concern for pianos was true in much older construction. Modern buildings with insulation in the walls (I'm talking about the U.S.) shouldn't pose much of a worry about temperature extremes near the exterior walls.

Kawai GX-2
Yamaha P-125
L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by MiddleA
From what I can fathom, the "exterior wall" concern for pianos was true in much older construction. Modern buildings with insulation in the walls (I'm talking about the U.S.) shouldn't pose much of a worry about temperature extremes near the exterior walls.

Exactly, with modern homes this is not an issue anymore.

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400

2006 August Förster 215
C
C
my upright piano is on an outside wall and has no problems. My tuner says it's in great condition and it doesn't get out of tune quickly. HOWEVER, my house has thick brick walls, if that matters. It also is not next to a window and is not near any heat/AC vent. In fact, there is one behind it but I closed it off.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Learux
Originally Posted by MiddleA

Exactly, with modern homes this is not an issue anymore.

This is good to know. I have been suspecting this for a while.

My walls do get cold starting October but it sort of gently stabilizes to a little below the set indoor temperature. It's certainly not an extreme cold or variation from ambient. The change is also not a sudden, abrupt drop. Vice-versa for springtime.

A man must love a thing very much if he practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practice it without any hope of doing it well. Such a man must love the toils of the work more than any other man can love the rewards of it.
G. K. Chesterton

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Everett upright Regulation
by wenhen90 - 07/31/21 06:57 PM
Marx
by dolce sfogato - 07/31/21 04:05 PM
Self-teaching and looking for good exercises
by TORaptors2019 - 07/31/21 03:46 PM
ES110 Static/Buzzing on Certain Keys?
by mikechang503 - 07/31/21 02:40 PM
Music's greatest teacher
by pianoloverus - 07/31/21 02:22 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics208,310
Posts3,117,981
Members102,295
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission