2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
46 members (Azunyan, ElaineAllegro, Bett, Ed McMorrow, RPT, AprilE, 14 invisible), 1,361 guests, and 551 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3130696 06/23/21 09:03 AM
Ubu Offline OP
OP Offline
Some time ago i bought a book on jazz harmony, but back then i had no time to study it so it's been on the shelf for a year and a half, until recently i 've started to go through it.

The title is Jazz Harmony , and the author is Frank Sikora.

And I'm thrilled about its content. Of course there's no magic formula that gets you into being a jazz virtuoso. But so many ideas, deep explanation of concepts. I've been for years in the plateau of knowing the basics of music and harmony but not knowing how to proceed to really get to the next level. And this book has it all. If i manage to keep practising on its ideas for a couple of years, my improvement will be huge.

Totally recomendable if you have the chance to look at it.

For people at intermediate stage. Begginers may be a little bit confused, and experts may not find anything new.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Ubu #3130732 06/23/21 10:34 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Read the introduction and table of contents here:
https://assets.sheetmusicplus.com/promos/JazzHarmony_Sikora_Introduction.pdf

One can flip through the whole book with the "low resolution" scan of the book. I like this method of previewing (it takes a minute to download):

https://en.schott-music.com/shop/jazz-harmony-no326750.html?___SID=U

Ubu Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by newer player
One can flip through the whole book with the "low resolution" scan of the book. I like this method of previewing (it takes a minute to download):

I checked that download link.
What you can download there is not the actual content of the paper book, but an appendix that digs into several aside concepts. The real content of the book is much better in my opinion, and a great tool to really understand how harmony works. The apendix is a great complement. But it isn't what makes the book so great.

Ubu #3138123 07/16/21 09:27 PM
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Schott Music is the Bomb, I just bought a complete transcription of Keith Jarrett's The Melody at Night with You which they published with Keith's approval..

Ubu #3138138 07/16/21 11:21 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ubu

What you can download there is not the actual content of the paper book, but an appendix that digs into several aside concepts. The real content of the book is much better in my opinion, and a great tool to really understand how harmony works. The apendix is a great complement. But it isn't what makes the book so great.
If you click on the blue loop labeled "Preview" (see the picture of the book cover) that opens a preview of all the pages (albeit in low resolution with some of the page missing. It takes a minute to load up.

Ubu #3138163 07/17/21 05:24 AM
N
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
N
Judging by the content and capacity, the book is actually an encyclopedic guide to the study of jazz, and it is doubtful how convenient it is for students. Ron Miller and Bert Ligon divided their smaller textbooks into two parts.

Last edited by Nahum; 07/17/21 05:27 AM.
Ubu Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Ubu

If you click on the blue loop labeled "Preview" (see the picture of the book cover) that opens a preview of all the pages (albeit in low resolution with some of the page missing. It takes a minute to load up.

Ah yes, i see, thankyou.

Originally Posted by Nahum
Judging by the content and capacity, the book is actually an encyclopedic guide to the study of jazz, and it is doubtful how convenient it is for students. Ron Miller and Bert Ligon divided their smaller textbooks into two parts.

One of the best things i find about this book is that it explains how things are, but also why they are how they are. And it is very good in both ways. For example when it goes into chord substitution, it not just tells you can substitute this chord ford this chord, but explains the leading tones, and why leading tones are leading tones, and how chords work depending on them. It gives a very solid foundation of music practice and theory. The only problem is that i think it will take years to go through the whole of it.

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Everett upright Regulation
by wenhen90 - 07/31/21 06:57 PM
Marx
by dolce sfogato - 07/31/21 04:05 PM
Self-teaching and looking for good exercises
by TORaptors2019 - 07/31/21 03:46 PM
ES110 Static/Buzzing on Certain Keys?
by mikechang503 - 07/31/21 02:40 PM
Music's greatest teacher
by pianoloverus - 07/31/21 02:22 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics208,310
Posts3,117,981
Members102,295
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission