2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
46 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, CharlesXX, 9 invisible), 1,461 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3130367 06/22/21 11:08 AM
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
18 months ago, I purchased a SSD called the ADATA SX8200 PRO. Initial reviews showed blistering speeds and low prices. On my laptop, the SSD is as fast as the reviews indicated.

More recently, some are claiming poorer performance on some newer SX8200 PRO drives, and that ADATA has been downgrading components over time. Swapping components over time is normal, but the change in performance is the issue being claimed. ADATAs box and advertising emphasized specs "upto", so there is some coverage there.

For now, I will be returning to branded SSDs (e.g. Samsung, Western Digital, Intel, etc.)

https://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/comments/lk2f5i/breaking_news_adata_sx8200_pro_m2_ssd_performance/

J
J
Adata was never a reputable brand. Sorry to hear you got taken in.

Crucial, Seagate, and Kingston are the only other brands I'd consider purchasing from. Besides those you mention.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JayKominek
Thanks Jay. I just got lucky as the review units and early units were unbelievably good.

Unfortunately, it seems some people did not get what they expected. Most won't know the difference but it's the principle.

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G

Crucial, Seagate, and Kingston are the only other brands I'd consider purchasing from. Besides those you mention.

Interesting, in the first 60 seconds of the LTT video linked, he literally says AData is a trusted brand.

Also interesting, the same LTT video linked ALSO says that the same downgrade scam is being claimed of Kingston (also noted as a reputable brand) crazy

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Gombessa

Interesting, in the first 60 seconds of the LTT video linked, he literally says AData is a trusted brand.

Also interesting, the same LTT video linked ALSO says that the same downgrade scam is being claimed of Kingston (also noted as a reputable brand) crazy

You must be aware that in business, the line between reputable and disreputable can be crossed in the blinking of an eye . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
On a related note, I've bought some cheap micro SD cards online only to find they were crap. The moral of the story is: you get what you pay for - most of the time ...

Enthusiastic but mediocre amateur.
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
There have been reports of SSD forgeries that find their way into regular sales channels. They may be inferior products rebranded fraudulently, or instances of name brand products sampled for quality control tests that failed, but still found their way into sales channels.

Reading Piano World with Javascript turned off (no logins, no ads, fast response times). I will receive PMs.
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
NAND Flash forgeries are ridiculous. Just Google "Sandisk fraud" and you'll find dozens of reports of forgeries. It's amazing that it's worth it for fraudsters to go to the effort, with how thin the margins are.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
How is this topic even remotely related to digital pianos?

Yamaha P-515
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by JoeT

Not worse than many posts in supposed-to-be topics. smile This one at least loosely relates with VSTs, and I suppose that was the reason for the OP. That said, threads like that should be prefixed with an "OT" per forum rules.

http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/268928.html

Stay on topic. Piano World is the place to discuss pianos, pianists, piano playing, piano music, ... - All Things Piano! The occasional off topic thread gives the forum a bit of spice but please conform to the following:
Mark your thread as off topic e.g., OT - what's the best device for listening to music
Do not start off topic threads on topics that are potentially controversial or inflammatory. Examples include: politics, religion, etc.

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
JoeT knows very well it’s not just remotely related, it’s directly related to VST-s but he hates them which is why the grumpiness wink

I’ve been very happy with SanDisk products throughout the years.

Last edited by CyberGene; 06/23/21 06:08 AM.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by EVC2017
This one at least loosely relates with VSTs

Yeah, as much as gravity relates to VSTs.

Originally Posted by CyberGene
JoeT knows very well it’s not just remotely related, it’s directly related to VST-s but he hates them which is why the grumpiness wink

I work with VST plugins every day.

The issue is when forums go off topic, the quality of the advice usually goes rock bottom. This thread is no exception. When a piano forum would start talking engine issues, because cars are loosely related to moving pianos, people will happily start exchanging opinions, but the usefulness of the advice will be nothing more than complete bollocks. What has been said so far about SSDs is at the same level.

Yamaha P-515
I don't agree.

Moving my instruments to SSD cut the loading time tremendously. And I'm surely not the only one to have done so.

Consequently ... that there exist cheap SSDs that don't meet specs is a perfectly acceptable topic.

And if you're not interested in the topic, it's very easy to not read the thread.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I agree that SSDs and VSTs are perfectly related. I have all my music devoted computers fitted with SSDs. One of them has 3.5TB shared in three SSDs. All are from reputable brands and bought from reputable dealers. So far all is going well. I would hate to have a problem due to a faulty / false / rebranded SSD on any of my computers.

BTW, SSD prices are higher than a year and a half or so ago (pre COVID). So my next update, a 4TB SSD, has to wait.

Jose

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1
...plus some other DPs, synths, controllers and VSTs

[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JoeT
Apologies JoeT.

Good NVME drives can significantly improve the VI experience with much faster loading times and smoother performance.

Samsung ruled the lands for years. But more recently, other companies stepped up their game with better price/performance and I had recommended these as alternatives at PW. Given that several outlets have called out ADATA's sketchy marketing, I wanted to revise this guidance.

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
A lot of large VSTs like Synchron take up a ton of space (and then a lot of folks here have multiple VSTs!). Also, there are still modern systems being shipped with relatively small 256-512GB drives, so I appreciate the occasional discussion about SSDs. Thanks newer player!

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Gombessa
NAND Flash forgeries are ridiculous. Just Google "Sandisk fraud" and you'll find dozens of reports of forgeries. It's amazing that it's worth it for fraudsters to go to the effort, with how thin the margins are.

If a Sandisk flash fails its quality test and is sent to an unscrupulous electronics recycler who resells it, the margin is much higher because they paid nothing for it.

Reading Piano World with Javascript turned off (no logins, no ads, fast response times). I will receive PMs.
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Sweelinck
If a Sandisk flash fails its quality test and is sent to an unscrupulous electronics recycler who resells it, the margin is much higher because they paid nothing for it.

Sure, but the thing is, these are usually not binned/failed genuine units. They're "legitimate" counterfeits, ground up. And they ship in high quality (also counterfeit) packaging and carriers, including hologrammed "seal of authenticity" marks. It's pretty amazing the lengths modern counterfeiters go to for essentially commodity items.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
I just read an article that claims that counterfeit products across all product domains form a $1 trillion/year industry worldwide. Some of the more insidious ones are: counterfeit pharmaceutical products, counterfeit batteries that cause fires, and counterfeit motherboards with security trapdoors.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I was burnt years ago by cheap memory cards for my camera.... I lost most of Northern Italy on that trip. For computer, camera, etc...... I only stick to name brands such as Sandisk, Samsung, etc.

I am amazed that something so sophisticated as these devices can be made like crap, or cheaply, or whatever.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission