2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
44 members (AprilE, anotherpianoplayer, Bett, Azunyan, 12 invisible), 1,362 guests, and 555 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3130456 06/22/21 03:28 PM
J
JBishop Offline OP
OP Offline
J
New owner of an NV5 and would like to start a users group. Discussion of pros and cons encouraged.

M
M
Hi, we are enjoying very much the NV5, the action and sound are great, would probably have preferred an NV10 but the slim profile of the NV5 was the winner. Had an issue with the sustain pedal not switching off but a recent visit by a technician fixed it. Much happier with a hybrid v other actions, well worth it. A lot of functions still to fully appreciate. Really feels and looks like its a real piano, never needs tuning...

Current: Yamaha P250
J
JBishop Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Hi,

I bought this piano as an upgrade to my Yamaha YDP 223. I was looking for a more realistic action, and of course better sound.

Have to say this change has been a challenge for me. Playing on a piano with a real action is a huge challenge that has taken a few months to adapt to. Still finding trills a challenge on the NV5. Hoping that will resolve as I get better skills. I am very novice!

Another big challenge was to get a decent sound from the speakers and soundboard. I think this is due to my room and it having a wooden floor and a hard wall behind the piano. Certain base notes simply resonate strangely producing poor tone quality. I noticed that if I move the NV5 away from the wall this effect is much reduced, so I am considering putting sound absorbing tiles on my wall and perhaps a rug under the piano. Didn't have this issue with the YDP223. Maybe it is the sound board making the difference.

The piano sounds great on headphones so I think this is a speaker/environment issue. I notice that most of the online demos have the piano in the middle of a large room - maybe there is a good reason for this.

Another issue is that high notes are a little too brilliant for my tastes. There are settings in the "virtual technician" which help this somewhat, but I do not notice this nearly as much when using headphones. So I think this is again an issue with the speakers/environment.

Other minor issues:

1) Wish the volume control was digital. It always takes me a few tries to adjust the volume to my liking and having an exact number would be very useful.

2) Also it would be great to have separate volume controls for the speakers and the headphones. I always need to lower the headphone volume substantially.

3) The soft fall key cover was not working properly because the hinges between the cover and the front leaf became too loose and it would fold under and prevent the lid from seating. Fortunately these were replaced under warranty, but I am suspecting there is a design issue here which will be problematic going forward.

4) The software on this is pretty nice. My only wish is that all settings were saved under favorites, including the volume. That would save a lot of time when starting up.

5) The finish is very prone to smudges. I guess this is unavoidable with such a shiny finish, which I know many people like. It would be nice to have a black satin finish available. This is a little easier to maintain.

Best Likes:

1) Under ideal conditions and setting the NV5 is capable of producing wonderful sound. Closes to real piano I have heard. Again, not an expert here.

2) Form factor is very nice for the space constrained. Depth is less than most uprights.

3) Great flexibility in modifying sound to your liking. Good selection of non-piano sounds. Plenty of power.

4) Key action is very smooth and comparable to what is experience in most uprights.

5) Metronome is well thought out.

Overall I am happy with the NV5. This is more piano than I have the skills to exploit for many years.

Jon

C
C
What do you think about the choice between simulated acoustic action, like the CA99 or CLP785, versus the real upright action? I’m debating that now, but am new to pianos.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Hello Jon,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on your Novus NV5.

Please allow me to comment on some of the points that you have raised:

Originally Posted by JBishop
3) The soft fall key cover was not working properly because the hinges between the cover and the front leaf became too loose and it would fold under and prevent the lid from seating. Fortunately these were replaced under warranty, but I am suspecting there is a design issue here which will be problematic going forward.

I believe the NV5's fallboard and SoftFall parts are the same as that used in Kawai's K series upright pianos, which generally have a very good reputation in the industry for reliability and durability.

4) The software on this is pretty nice. My only wish is that all settings were saved under favorites, including the volume. That would save a lot of time when starting up.

This is possible. First do a Factory Reset to start with a clean slate, then set-up your NV5 settings as you normally use it, then store this configuration to a Favorite memory. Next, open the Favorites tap - you're newly saved memory should automatically be selected. Finally, open the menu and enable the "Startup with Favorites" function. The next time you power on the instrument, the saved Favorite (including system settings) should be selected automatically.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
J
JBishop Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Curt,

Depends on your intentions. If you want to simulate a "real" acoustic piano then get a real action. This will allow you to transition to a real acoustic piano if that becomes an option.

However, nothing wrong with playing and enjoying a simulated action. In fact in many ways that is a better way to go as there are some advantages. Not an expert but find the simulated actions much easier to play myself.

Perhaps if such simulated actions had been available when the piano was being developed then we would all be playing on that instead of the complex real actions we have today. Maybe that is the real next step in the evolution of the piano.

Again, just depends on your intentions and what you would like to achieve.

Last edited by JBishop; 07/02/21 04:16 PM.
J
JBishop Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Kawai James,

Thanks for the reply. However you are mistaken.

NV5 does not have the same fallboard. Just take a look. The NV5 fall board is hinged at the end, and the K series is not. This hinge will be an issue on the NV5 because as it wears it becomes looser and this allows the leaf to interfere with the fallboard from closing properly. Already had this repaired under warranty with a new set of hinges. That was after only 2 months and I suspect this is going to be a recurring problem. Kawai needs to rethink this. Not a big deal but surprising coming from Kawai.

The software does not remember all of the settings, at least according to Kawai's manual. Not a big deal except it would have been nice to include the volume as part of these "favorite" settings, and to have distinct volumes for headphones and speakers. Again not a big deal, but just a missed opportunity for Kawai to improve their interface.

Overall I really like this piano. These are relatively minor issues which Kawai could (and should) correct.

Jon

Online Content
Hello Jon,

Thank you for your reply.

The NV5 fall board is hinged at the end, and the K series is not.

I'm afraid I don't quite follow you. Can you clarify what you mean by "hinged at the end", please?

Already had this repaired under warranty with a new set of hinges. That was after only 2 months and I suspect this is going to be a recurring problem.

Sorry to hear that the original hinges were faulty, however I don't think this necessarily indicates that there will be a recurring problem. The NV5 is quite a popular model, however I'm not aware of any reports related to the fallboard hinges.

The software does not remember all of the settings, at least according to Kawai's manual. Not a big deal except it would have been nice to include the volume as part of these "favorite" settings, and to have distinct volumes for headphones and speakers. Again not a big deal, but just a missed opportunity for Kawai to improve their interface.

Please give my suggestion a try - you might be pleasantly surprised. wink

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
It's been six months now since I ordered my NV5 in Paris, with the largest Kawai dealer in France, and making a substantial deposit. The only news two months ago was that the order would be delivered as a NV5 "S", when it came. Nothing further yet.

The authoritative Thomann sites says "Delivery date unknown" but does not disallow ordering.

Sometimes I fantasize that several containers full of boxed NV5 S were marooned aboard the Ever Given, the ship that blocked the Suez Canal and was kept hostage by the Egyptians pending an insurance deal. The good news is that the ship was released yesterday.. The bad news would be possible dammage to pianos cooking inside a container in the Egyptian desert in summer!

Anyway, we will see...

Any recent delivery of an NV5 S to anyone around the world, and where?

Last edited by Vikendios; 07/07/21 09:49 AM.

Life is a smorgasbord, and I want to taste everything.
M
M
The last information I received about my order is that the delivery will possibly arrive in July. However, since this date has already been postponed once, it is more than questionable. In my case, I might benefit from the fact that I had already paid for the NV5 in full when I ordered it. But who knows.....

Analogue: Sauter - Hohner - Solton; Digital: Casio - [Kawai]; Acoustic: Everything that produces sounds during musical activity

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Everett upright Regulation
by wenhen90 - 07/31/21 06:57 PM
Marx
by dolce sfogato - 07/31/21 04:05 PM
Self-teaching and looking for good exercises
by TORaptors2019 - 07/31/21 03:46 PM
ES110 Static/Buzzing on Certain Keys?
by mikechang503 - 07/31/21 02:40 PM
Music's greatest teacher
by pianoloverus - 07/31/21 02:22 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics208,310
Posts3,117,987
Members102,295
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission