2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
41 members (Charles Cohen, Calavera, Beansparrow, AlainGeneva, Almaviva, clothearednincompo, Dore, CaseyVancouver, BlakeOR, 9 invisible), 1,285 guests, and 663 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3130353 06/22/21 10:28 AM
E
Ezeriel Offline OP
OP Offline
E
looking for advice for ear training.

as background, I started learning piano with no musical background about a year ago. followed Alfred's basic adult piano course and am about 1/4 into book 2. I can only cover about 0-2 pieces from the book per week depending on my work schedule, it's slow but at least it's consistent... Recently, it's starting to feel a little stale and I was thinking about starting some ear training.

I was wondering if one could start ear training too early in learning music?

Where should I exactly start? start by transcribing very easy pieces? try identifying different intervals? chords? rhythms? or something like sight-singing?

Everyone seems to be saying something slightly different, so if anyone has advice for someone at my skill level, it's much appreciated!

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Earmaster.com

Good for mac, pc and iPad

“To send light into the darkness of men’s hearts - such is the duty of the artist.”
- Robert Schumann

B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Ezeriel
I was wondering if one could start ear training too early in learning music?
It's never too early to start ear training.

Pre-school children start training their ears when they listen to their nursery teacher singing nursery songs, and they then copy her singing Twinkle Twinkle (or whatever they sing these days). Those who are brought up in musical families - like little Wolfie (Mozart) - start their training much earlier, from before they were born, when their mother sings or plays music.

Therefore, start with Twinkle, Twinkle. If you play a 3-note major chord on the piano (say, C-E-G), can you sing/whistle/hum the first note of Twinkle in the right key, without fumbling around?

If you can, try it with the first note of The Star-Spangled Banner (assuming you are American, otherwise use your own country's National Anthem).

Then, can you tell which notes in the major scale the notes of the music fall on? (Next, learn about basic intervals - can you tell what the intervals are between the first two notes of the above? If you can 'hear' where the notes fall on the scale, and you know the intervals between the notes in the scale, you'll know what the intervals are between them.)

And clap along with the beats in the song (while singing, or listening) - where are the strong beats? How many beats in each measure? Can you beat time to the music depending on whether it is 2-, 3- or 4- time? (Duple, triple, quadruple)

Do that with every simple tune you know of, whether it's a folk song, a pop song, a hymn. That's how you can start doing basic ear training. Lots of careful listening, lots of singing.......(doesn't matter how "bad" your voice is - you can still learn to sing in tune!)

You should learn to identify straightforward intervals (major 2nds, major & minor 3rds, Perfect 4ths & 5ths, major 6ths) - and sing them - first before you go on to any chord identification. Too many students attempt to jump in at the deep end and try to 'hear' diminished, augmented chords etc before they can even identify simple intervals.

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

Lisa
Chief Cook & Pot Scrubber @ Cunningham Piano Club 🎹
Cunningham Studio Grand & Yamaha CLP645

"I tell my piano the things I used to tell you." - Frederic Chopin
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Titanic Piano
by Dakota - 07/24/21 11:50 PM
Ten greatest Chopin works
by pianoloverus - 07/24/21 08:34 PM
KORG DS-1H pedal issues with Korg D1
by Mta88 - 07/24/21 04:28 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics208,193
Posts3,116,082
Members102,225
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission