2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (ChickenBrother, Barly, 1957, btcomm, brennbaer, CharlesXX, Animisha, bobrunyan, 13 invisible), 1,972 guests, and 348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
Just a matter of curiosity, but I gather from what I read here that there are regional differences in where lessons are taking place. For instance in France, nearly all lesson offers on the internet are either on line or at the student's home. Very few teachers have studios, as private schools would have a hard time competing with publicly run schools and conservatories, usually free (i.e paid by the taxpayer).

The reverse seems true in the USA, with students expected to commute rather than teachers. This also begs the issue of where the best teaching instrument, acoustic or digital, will be located. As for myself and my few grown-up piano student friends, we summon blush teachers to our homes, and offer tea !

Life is a smorgasbord, and I want to taste everything.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I guess it also depends on how packed the teacher's schedule is and how far apart students live. In a large city maybe it's feasible but in a more rural area it isn't really practical for a teacher to visit everyone.

S
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
PW Gold Subscriber
S
It is my own personal bias, not based on evidence, that I assume any teacher who is willing to travel to my home for lessons doesn’t really value their expertise or time. Would a lawyer, or other professional come to your home? Not likely

When I moved to this area a few years ago, I did not contact any teachers who would be willing to come to my home. Again, I can’t defend my assumption.

T
T
Sorry I disagree w the person who put a decreased value on quality of teaching if teacher travels to house.. just charge appropriate fees to cover your expenses.
Plus the student is on his own instrument.
My piano teacher is a master and will come to my house if necessary—extra bucks but an option. I never once thought it diminished anything.
If you are a teacher for $$$ and depend on the income it has been my experience to expand income opportunities as much as possible.

W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Years ago, I noticed more teachers in my area offer to go to the student’s house for lessons. It has become a rarer occurrence nowadays. I suspect a teacher with a full schedule wound not have the time or willingness to travel.

Kawai K500
S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Originally Posted by Terrilyn
Sorry I disagree w the person who put a decreased value on quality of teaching if teacher travels to house.. just charge appropriate fees to cover your expenses.
Plus the student is on his own instrument.
My piano teacher is a master and will come to my house if necessary—extra bucks but an option. I never once thought it diminished anything.
If you are a teacher for $$$ and depend on the income it has been my experience to expand income opportunities as much as possible.

I agree with you that a teacher could increase the fee to cover travel. That is not what I have seen in this area.

S
S
Rare here in Australia to have home visit lessons. Most private piano teachers (those not affiliated with a school / music shop / academy type of place) just teach out of a spare room in their house using their personal piano.

I guess some would do home visits if you asked but it’s not the norm from what I’ve seen.

Yamaha U1. Yamaha P-45.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
My teacher offers lessons three ways- Zoom, go to his studio or he goes to your house. Zoom only started with Covid but he hit a couple of students out of the area who will continue with Zoom. He does charge more to go to your house. I am looking forward to the fall when I can finally get back to in person lessons. I go to him. He teaches at a camp in the summer and usually would come back
on his days off to teach. However this summer they had to be tested for Covid before and after getting to camp and then are not allowed to leave camp at all so it will be Zoom until September.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I meant got some students out of the area.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
The downside of one of the so-called advantages of having the teacher come to the student's home, is that the student is always playing the same piano. Pianists need to get accustomed to playing different pianos as that is what we face when we have to perform, and even one different piano is better than playing the same piano all the time.

While a teacher may adjust his/her fee to account for travel time when going to a student's home, many better teachers and those in high demand simply would not have the time to spend much of the day commuting from one student's home to another. That would eventually result in good teachers having fewer students.

It also means that a teacher would not have his/her total resources available when travelling. My teacher will often bring out an edition different from my own to check something we are discussing or bring out a text or commentary in a reference volume because she has the library available to do that, and it enhances the teaching experience.

Some teachers may have the time and may enjoy commuting from one student's home to another; that is their choice.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I used to travel out to people's homes. I had a base rate and then would add travel expenses on top of that to give them their price.

It was more convenient for me to travel to them, rather than out of a London flat where there wasn't much space - I definitely didn't want young children visiting me there!

The travel did become an issue after a while, especially if a student cancelled at last minute when you were out at another house. Eventually I decided to stop doing it as my college teaching increased.

OP Offline
I guess that in larger cities like New York, London or Paris, where most everyone lives in a flat and where public transportation is fast, private piano teachers will find it easier to go to their adult students' homes. The latter are often more pressed for time than younger teachers, and may have larger premises with more comfortable learning conditions.

My teacher is a gifted concertist and lives in a charming small flat in the Quartier Latin. He has a hard enough time with his neighbours over his own practice "noise" : they would certainly object over a continuous stream of pupils. And local zoning ordinances would probably work against him.

Life is a smorgasbord, and I want to taste everything.
Originally Posted by scirocco
Rare here in Australia to have home visit lessons. Most private piano teachers (those not affiliated with a school / music shop / academy type of place) just teach out of a spare room in their house using their personal piano.

I guess some would do home visits if you asked but it’s not the norm from what I’ve seen.

Not sure where you are Scirocco but it certainly isn’t rare around Sydney. In fact the majority of teachers that I looked at (not a scientific survey) were as they put it “travelling in the local area”.

Of course there are also home studios and music schools so I don’t know what percentage of students are taught at home. The fees did not seem to any higher for home tuition. Music schools are the most expensive with their overheads.

I won’t generalise about Australia as a whole — it’s a big country. Travelling teachers may be more common in the central area of big cities.

I think home teaching would be very convenient for parents with young children.

S
S
Originally Posted by terentius
Not sure where you are Scirocco but it certainly isn’t rare around Sydney. In fact the majority of teachers that I looked at (not a scientific survey) were as they put it “travelling in the local area”.

Cheers, good to know some do. I’m in Perth and have had two teachers and have had contact with a few more. I can’t really imagine my current teacher travelling. She packs in students solidly from about 3 to 7 with hardly any gaps. If she was teaching them at their homes she would be spending maybe half that time travelling with associated loss of teaching time and all the hassle that goes with driving in city traffic.

But I guess she has the luxury of a solid student list who are prepared to come to her, and her own house that is suitable to teach out of. Not all teachers will have that.

Yamaha U1. Yamaha P-45.
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
thank goodness my piano teacher doesn't come to the house. I would have to clean up and hide the dogs.

There are travelling teachers here in my part of NSW (Hunter Region), but they appear to be younger teachers still trying to establish themselves. I have had three teachers in my area and always went to their house for lessons. Just getting onto the books of a good teacher here is hard enough, as some of them can be picky (maybe just sick of adults), never mind expecting them to travel.

The bonus of going to my current teachers house is her wonderful piano, which is so much better than mine. I actually look forward to playing it.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
B
B
My teacher hires a space to do his lessons, when I started that was a room in Adelaie High Schools music department, so lessons after school hours on a well used 😶 Yamaha upright. Then a move 18 months ago to an old church, where the teaching space is a platform where sermons used to take place in the actual church... this piano is a small Yamaha Grand... this is the first / only Grand I have played. He does not have a suitable place to teach at his home, and the amount of travel would preclude lessons at my home.

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Bett
My teacher hires a space to do his lessons, when I started that was a room in Adelaie High Schools music department, so lessons after school hours on a well used 😶 Yamaha upright. Then a move 18 months ago to an old church, where the teaching space is a platform where sermons used to take place in the actual church... this piano is a small Yamaha Grand... this is the first / only Grand I have played. He does not have a suitable place to teach at his home, and the amount of travel would preclude lessons at my home.

sounds like it might be a bit frosty at the church now we are in Winter.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission