2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
87 members (36251, anotherscott, Andrew_G, AllThingsKeyboard, Augustina, astrotoy, Amadeus M., 17 invisible), 1,660 guests, and 407 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3129919 06/21/21 08:01 AM
C
OP Offline
C
Is it ok to learn to play the piano from a classical outlook even if your main goal is to play jazz - blues? When i first started to learn piano i have used method books like piano adventure, although i have learnt music theory and to read music from sheet i think i have not yet learnt to play with the right technique and articulation with my fingers , I want to go back to the very basics of learning piano and i am not sure if this matters at the beginning stages , i do feel there is more choice with classical with learning beginner piano methods to improved my technique, I do like some classical pieces but my heart is with jazz and blues and I only really want to learn the piano and using classical to improve my playing with technique, I only really want to learn just enough or lets say the minimum amount and then move on to a jazz course . so is this the best way to go about learning the piano or am i going about this wrong ?

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
When students come to me wanting to learn to play jazz I require that they be able to read notation in g clef (at least) and play all 12 major scales.

Doing a lot of listening to your preferred genre also will help dramatically with feel/sound/articulation.

If you have these prerequisites you can start learning the basic seventh chords used in jazz. I have a free lesson on this here:

https://www.jazzpianoonline.com/courses/five-essential-7th-chords

This will allow you to start to read lead sheets from the Real Book (https://amzn.to/3cYRkpS) playing chords in the left hand and the melody in the right hand.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Bill
bill@jazzpianoonline.com
www.JazzPianoOnline.com
Online Jazz Piano Lessons
Yamaha C7 Disklavier DC7ENSPRO
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi

If you search this forum you'll find a lot of similar threads with answers to the same sort question you are asking.

My view as an amateur is that some classical training will do you no harm. Learning which fingerings to use for scales and arpeggios, and other aspects of classical training are all good for your future Jazz playing. However it will only help you up to a point; and won't teach you the blues scale, the modes that are commonly used in Jazz and a whole host of other aspects of Jazz playing.

As Bill (a pro) has stated above, learning to understand chords is very important. You won't get that in classical lessons unless you study theory as well. Learning the common forms so you instinctively know when a change is coming is very important as well. Start with the 12 bar blues. 3 chords and one scale. I've been playing that (amongst many other things) for over 40 years and I love the blues to this day. "3 chords and the truth" - a U2 song I think.

Again as per Bill, listen listen listen. If you listen to what you want to play and play what you listen to the music will to some degree just come magically out of your fingers. But this takes a lot of hours, if not years!

Hope that's of some help.

Cheers

Simon

Vox Continental 73, Casio PX-S3000
Yamaha YTS-475 (tenor Sax)
Pearl Midtown Drums

E
E
Some of the greatest Jazz players were classically trained, I'm thinking of Oscar Peterson and Nina Simone e.g., so it will do you no harm 🙂.

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Garritan with Sibelius "sound set" ?
by RinTin - 09/28/21 03:13 PM
help teaching an autistic child
by sheilaju - 09/28/21 02:33 PM
Old Kawai MP6
by johan d - 09/28/21 02:04 PM
Half Pedaling reality check
by Dore - 09/28/21 12:47 PM
Confused.
by Cutec - 09/28/21 10:43 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Our Free Newsletter for Piano Lovers!
The summer edition of our free newsletter
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,335
Posts3,135,861
Members102,845
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission