2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
48 members (AprilE, 1957, ambrozy, Bostonmoores, danno858, 17 invisible), 1,395 guests, and 530 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Abdol Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A
Does anyone here own these monitor speakers?

KRK Rokit 10-3 G4 (generation 4).

I'm thinking of upgrading my speakers and these seem to work as both near and mid field speakers. These are massive and 300 Watts each so they probably have some heavy punch (26kHz~40Hz I guess) so I'm not sure if a regular monitor stand would/can hold these guys in place.

Any feedback is much appreciated!

Last edited by Abdol; 06/21/21 10:42 PM.

Kawai MP7SE, Yamaha MOTF XF6, Yamaha WX5, Yamaha Pacifica 112v
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
I think Digital Stereophony has created videos on these monitors and you can at least hear what it might sound like. To me, there's an imbalance of frequencies in the mid range, at least according to his demos. Take it what you will. smile

S
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
S
2-way speakers generally are preferable for nearfield listening. At close range, you will have 3 non-parallel sound axes. You also may be able to hear the shift as the sound frequency changes and a melody moves between the tweeter and midrange driver.

At midfield distances the axes become close enough to parallel and the differing positions of the drivers becomes indiscernable.

I have not used the monitors in question, but I would not purchase them for a nearfield application. Your mileage may vary.

A pair of 5" monitors and 10" subwoofer would be my recommendation if you need comparable bass extension and nearfield listening.

A
Abdol Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A
Thanks David and Sweelinck for your points.

This type of speakers can be rotated so that mid and high cones are aligned just like a small monitor speaker:
[Linked Image]

I'm not 100% sure if this is what Sweelinck is referring to:

But if so, the the placement of the sub-woofers (as you just said) wouldn't be an issue.

That's why I guess these can be used as near-field monitors. The explanation starts from 4':15".

Pretty cool design! and it they probably have deep kicks.

I'm not a big fan of KRK in general though. If other brands manufacture similar speakers within the ~$1000 per speaker, I'd go with them.

I look at these speakers as kind of an investment too.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Abdol,

i do not own these monitors BUT having read , watched/listened to the information already posted here, i can say “ that is a LOT of monitor-capacity you are considering as an upgrade!”

Generally speaking, when it comes to the use of APs as well as both slab and console DPs that do not or do have their own on-board sound systems, consideration of how well any system - native or add-ons - may perform is at a minimum dependent upon the size and shape of the space in which the piano will be regularly played. Accordingly, the effects of placing external dp speakers/monitors upright/vertically versus horizontally may vary. For instance, i use a pair of lsr308s placed horizontally mainly for convenience of the large-sized irregularly-shaped living room in which i use them.

It may help PW help you if you were to provide some details of the space in which you will use rokits or other such upgraded sound power.... and how close to the upgraded monitors do you expect to be while playing your dp? ..... at close range, 2000 bucks worth of monitors may well push off the bench! 😉

- Kawai MP7 and LSR308 monitors
- Roland HP-508
- DT770 Pro-80 and MDR-7506 phones
S
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
S
The tweeter and mid rotating will help, but just having the sound generation move around between 3 drivers instead of two still is suboptimal for nearfield listening. Some people prefer coaxial 2-way speakers for nearfield listening for this reason. KRK does describe them as midfield monitors.

There also are ergonomic issues of fitting large speakers on stands. Woofers work better when in a solid, rigid surface with isolation in between, much easier to achieve with a subwoofer unit on a floor.

For nearfield listening, why do you want two larger bass enclosures when one will suffice? There is no stereo effect in the bass region.

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
As others have mentioned, I wonder why you are looking for a 3-way for nearfield listening when a pair of 2-way speakers would be just fine? Another idea is to go the coaxial way, but brands like Kali Audio have audible hiss, and IMO is not a welcome choice.
I haven't heard any 3-way speakers, so can't comment on how much an upgrade they may be. I currently have a pair of Rokit5 G4s and they work beautifully in my room and settings.
Kindly consider if the room is big enough for the speakers you want to upgrade to. It's better for speakers to match the room size, than to have a pair of very big speakers in small rooms. That way they don't have the room to let sound fill your room, from my experience that is the case.
Hope this helps!
Also, if you are looking for $1000 per pair, then brands like Focal or Adam would be great choices. Happy searching!!!

Last edited by David Lai; 06/24/21 03:58 PM. Reason: added point
A
Abdol Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A
My living is a relatively large rectangle. The walls are drywall. I can position the stands far enough from the walls or even put the monitors near the front walls. Frankly, I won't be using these speakers that often. I arrange music for leisure on my headphones. This is only for the final mixing and mastering of the work. Small speakers and headphones aren't suitable for mastering in general (IMHO).

@Sweelinck: One thing I didn't grasp from your post is that what would be the difference if I have the subs laying on the floor and the speakers on top of the stands vs this 3-way setup? I the 3ft distance between subs (10" cones) and mid-low monitors apprehensible? Or you mean it causes phase cancellation? In the latter case, the mid/high frequencies are widely separated across the spectrum and I guess there isn't an overlap between mid/high and low amps.

The cones are 4" and the lows are 10" cones. My problem with smaller cones is that they do not produce deep enough bass and the final mix either lacks in the lower freqs or the bass is overpowering. In other words, the freq range lacks in the low range of the spectrum.

A
Abdol Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by David Lai
As others have mentioned, I wonder why you are looking for a 3-way for nearfield listening when a pair of 2-way speakers would be just fine? Another idea is to go the coaxial way, but brands like Kali Audio have audible hiss, and IMO is not a welcome choice.
I haven't heard any 3-way speakers, so can't comment on how much an upgrade they may be. I currently have a pair of Rokit5 G4s and they work beautifully in my room and settings.
Kindly consider if the room is big enough for the speakers you want to upgrade to. It's better for speakers to match the room size, than to have a pair of very big speakers in small rooms. That way they don't have the room to let sound fill your room, from my experience that is the case.
Hope this helps!
Also, if you are looking for $1000 per pair, then brands like Focal or Adam would be great choices. Happy searching!!!

This is very true. I guess the main problem is the pandemic. There is no way for me to listen to these in real-life and discuss it with an audio engineer. Also these are massive and finding them in a store is another story!

J
J
Originally Posted by Abdol
My living is a relatively large rectangle. The walls are drywall. I can position the stands far enough from the walls or even put the monitors near the front walls. Frankly, I won't be using these speakers that often. I arrange music for leisure on my headphones. This is only for the final mixing and mastering of the work. Small speakers and headphones aren't suitable for mastering in general (IMHO).
3-way

If you are looking for advice on speakers for mixing and mastering, i'd suggest starting at other forums, such as gearspace.com

There you'll find advice from people who buy and use monitors for the same purpose (plenty of discussion of the rokit series and their competitors on there). There would be other forums too

i would expect this forum (pianoworld) to be the best place to get opinions and experiences on using monitors for playing/practicing piano at home, but that is a very different purpose from what you are looking at

i went for Yamaha HS7s over the rokits for recording monitors because they have a flatter response, but that was a few years back and there would be more and different options now, and there are people prefer the sound profile of the rokits over the Yamahas too so ymmv

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
This is very true. I guess the main problem is the pandemic. There is no way for me to listen to these in real-life and discuss it with an audio engineer. Also these are massive and finding them in a store is another story!
Yeah, I feel ya! I was able to get mine before COVID hit, so I was listening to different pairs at Guitar Center and then lended on the KRK Rokit5s. At that time G4 had just launched.
I think now places are starting to open up, I'm sure all will return if we continue to protect ourselves and those around us.
The Youtube channel Digital Stereophony should give you some idea of how these things sound. I actually also watched a few videos on that channel before hitting the stores, then discovered that the Yamaha HS5 was not for me. smile

S
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
S
@Sweelinck: One thing I didn't grasp from your post is that what would be the difference if I have the subs laying on the floor and the speakers on top of the stands vs this 3-way setup? I the 3ft distance between subs (10" cones) and mid-low monitors apprehensible? Or you mean it causes phase cancellation? In the latter case, the mid/high frequencies are widely separated across the spectrum and I guess there isn't an overlap between mid/high and low amps.
First, the 10" drivers are called woofers. A subwoofer is an integrated component that allows a single woofer to render the sum of the bass across all of the channels.

The vibrations of a woofer enclosure are oftrn out of phase and will cancel some of the bass you want. So the enclosures need to be on a firm platform. Isolators also help.

Midfield monitors are the most common choice in professional mastering studios, but you will need to treat your space acoustically. The 3-way KRK's would have an advantage over monitors and a subwoofer from not having to get the subwoofer integration done correctly. You need full range sound for mastering. Many nearfield monitors are designed for mixing and lack the bass response for mastering. This is more often true as price increases. You would want a subwoofer with nearfield monitors, preferably from the same manufacturer as the monitors to ensure good integration.

You should decide whether you want nearfield or midfield monitors.

A couple of good books on mastering. The first has a wealth of information about audio engineering in general as well. The second provides a good how-to process. I use a simplified version of that process as I do not use variable compression tools.

https://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Audio-Third-Art-Science/dp/0240818962

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008GUFRHC/ref=dbs_a_w_dp_b008gufrhc

Originally Posted by David Lai
Yeah, I feel ya! I was able to get mine before COVID hit, so I was listening to different pairs at Guitar Center and then lended on the KRK Rokit5s. At that time G4 had just launched.
I think now places are starting to open up, I'm sure all will return if we continue to protect ourselves and those around us.
The Youtube channel Digital Stereophony should give you some idea of how these things sound. I actually also watched a few videos on that channel before hitting the stores, then discovered that the Yamaha HS5 was not for me. smile

i would also recommend this youtube channel.

RD 2000 , VSLs, Garritan,Noire,Modern U , Grandeur etc.
monitors: iLoud MTM headphones: AKG702,DT990 pro,Sure215 etc.

S
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
S
I'm not a professional audio engineer, but study the discipline as a hobby. With that caveat, I'll share my view that for many mastering tasks, a pair of reasonably neutral headphones like Sony Pro MDR-7506 is sufficient. You need an accurate and detailed playback system to assess the effect of variable dynamic compression, equalization, and to be sure you hear any unwanted artifacts.

For most other tasks, like eliminating DC offset, noise reduction, adding fade-ins and fade-outs to eliminate noise floor cliffs, dithering doen to smaller quantum size, or resampling to change the sample rate, a decent pair of headphones or nearfield monitors are fine.

One point is that setting the digital level is a tradeoff between minimizing the risk of clipping and getting enough signal-to-noise. Once the digital is established, many people find that they listen on a variety of playback systems to assess the overall effect and to assess digital level. These should include what your target listener will be using: earbuds, small bluetooth speakers, etc. as well as a high fidelity system or two.

My feeling is that if you want to do the full suite of mastering at a high level, $1000 as a budget for the monitors is low. But I would start at a lower level for learning the process. I find for my purposes, I don't need a fancy system because I don't do dynamic compression or equalization.

Once you start using the process, you can immediately pick out the amateur recordings online from their noise floor cliffs and/or digital levels that are too hot.

A
Abdol Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A
@jackopiano

The HS series from Yamaha is my favorite. If it had a 3-way speaker, I'd have purchased it in a heartbeat.

@David Lai
I've checked out the Digital Stereophony channel. The KRK are nice speakers. I'm a bit hard to persuade (as you may already know) so I really need to hear them in person.

@Sweelinck I think my MP7SE would benefit significantly from a wide frequency range from such speaker system. The loudness isn't a deciding factor here. I can listen to them at lower volumes and still enjoy the deep bass produced by the woofers.

I wish there was someone out here who could give us a feedback on pros and cons of these for both DPs and music production.

Last edited by Abdol; 06/25/21 12:53 AM. Reason: missing a sentence!!!

S
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
S
If you play material with low bass it is good to have a large enough enclosure and woofer to produce the bass. But you don't need to pay for two of them. A KRK 10s and pair of Rokit 5 G4's would achieve a similar result and would solve the problems create by nearfield listening to a 3-way system.

A
Abdol Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A
@sweelinck
That sounds like a good solution too. I will look into it. I hate extra cable though! My setup is already a huge mess LOL

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Sweelinck
If you play material with low bass it is good to have a large enough enclosure and woofer to produce the bass. But you don't need to pay for two of them. A KRK 10s and pair of Rokit 5 G4's would achieve a similar result and would solve the problems create by nearfield listening to a 3-way system.

That's an interesting pairing, I still need to imagine how that sounds like. smile

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
The HS series from Yamaha is my favorite. If it had a 3-way speaker, I'd have purchased it in a heartbeat.

I've checked out the Digital Stereophony channel. The KRK are nice speakers. I'm a bit hard to persuade (as you may already know) so I really need to hear them in person.
I see. Sorry, the thing about the HS speakers was said by me, not jackopiano. smile I feel the mids were a bit heavy, and the bass doesn't go down low enough with orchestral recordings, thus I bought a pair of Rokit5s. And part of this decision was made while watching one of the videos from that channel online, and when I tested with the music I listen to, it confirmed my decision. Since I have a small bedroom and need things to be manageable on one desk, I can't choose the 7 or 8-inch versions.
Anyway, I enjoy this discussion! And hopefully, you can make an informed decision as to what new speakers to put in your livingroom area.

S
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
S
@sweelinck
That sounds like a good solution too. I will look into it. I hate extra cable though! My setup is already a huge mess LOL
What are you using now?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Everett upright Regulation
by wenhen90 - 07/31/21 06:57 PM
Marx
by dolce sfogato - 07/31/21 04:05 PM
Self-teaching and looking for good exercises
by TORaptors2019 - 07/31/21 03:46 PM
ES110 Static/Buzzing on Certain Keys?
by mikechang503 - 07/31/21 02:40 PM
Music's greatest teacher
by pianoloverus - 07/31/21 02:22 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics208,310
Posts3,117,981
Members102,295
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission