2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
80 members (BlakeOR, apianostudent, Azunyan, anotherscott, Andonoff, AlphaBravoCharlie, Boboulus, antune, 20 invisible), 643 guests, and 726 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3130003 06/21/21 12:23 PM
P
OP Offline
P
I just recently received my Kawai ES 9 and thought I'd share of what I think about it , I was going to get the Roland FP 60 but after listening to the videos of the ES9 I could tell it had a articulate piano sound to it which to me sounded pretty nice . After receiving it a few weeks ago I had to get used to the action which is different from the other digitals I have ' its a little on the lighter side so I had to put the touch on the heavy 1 setting so I would not get a spike in the sound when I play . The piano has a beautiful sound for a digital and the action is fast after you figure it out , its light wieght at 38 pounds light enough for me and the guitar player I am jamming with likes the sounds better than the sounds on my Roland Rd 2000 which I think the ES9 has more enriched sounds than the Roland , tho they are both nice instruments . Its the easyist piano to play besides my MP 11 and my least fatiguing . I recorded Your Song on it running it through my Roland 30 watt amp and its onboard speakers using the microphone on the Zoom Recorder , go to Mike Lupinetti on youtube if you like to here how it sounds .

P
P
Superb interpretation and you make sound the es9 very nicely.
Did you connect extern speakers or only the on-board ones?
Forget my question.... I haven't seen it on your post.
The sound is really clear.

Last edited by playplayplay; 06/21/21 02:28 PM.

Adult Beginner - Kawai ES920
M
M
Hey, just had a question. Do any of your keys squeak or creak more than others at all?

Last edited by mikechang503; 06/21/21 02:30 PM.
P
P
On mine no. So far everything is fine.
What is your problem exactly? Because in your question you are assuming that all the keys squeak or creak but some are doing it more than others.
I do not have any of my keys squeaking or creaking , at least so far. I will touch wood... Ups there is only plastic...

Last edited by playplayplay; 06/21/21 02:41 PM.

Originally Posted by pianomike
I just recently received my Kawai ES 9 and thought I'd share of what I think about it , I was going to get the Roland FP 60 but after listening to the videos of the ES9 I could tell it had a articulate piano sound to it which to me sounded pretty nice . After receiving it a few weeks ago I had to get used to the action which is different from the other digitals I have ' its a little on the lighter side so I had to put the touch on the heavy 1 setting so I would not get a spike in the sound when I play . The piano has a beautiful sound for a digital and the action is fast after you figure it out , its light wieght at 38 pounds light enough for me and the guitar player I am jamming with likes the sounds better than the sounds on my Roland Rd 2000 which I think the ES9 has more enriched sounds than the Roland , tho they are both nice instruments . Its the easyist piano to play besides my MP 11 and my least fatiguing . I recorded Your Song on it running it through my Roland 30 watt amp and its onboard speakers using the microphone on the Zoom Recorder , go to Mike Lupinetti on youtube if you like to here how it sounds .

How did you change the touch? Thanks.

P
P
On the virtual technician. You can choose heavy, 2, light, light2 etc. I think all dp have this function.

Is it 2-1 touch curve in virtual technician page 88?

P
P
Yes sir

P
OP Offline
P
Thanks Play , That Little Roland 30 watt stereo amp works great with my keyboards I use it as a monitor and it has a nice clean crisp sound or not so crisp depends how you adjust your eq and settings on your piano .Mike my keys are pretty quiet , I recorded that live and I did not have the piano turned up to much because it was redlining the recorder .

P
P
Originally Posted by pianomike
Thanks Play , That Little Roland 30 watt stereo amp works great with my keyboards I use it as a monitor and it has a nice clean crisp sound or not so crisp depends how you adjust your eq and settings on your piano .Mike my keys are pretty quiet , I recorded that live and I did not have the piano turned up to much because it was redlining the recorder .

You not only master playing piano but also know how to set-up your keyboards and items. Both are needed in this "digital" world in order to reach great results. Well done.

Have you modified some of the settings appart of the touch?

Last edited by playplayplay; 06/21/21 05:09 PM.

P
OP Offline
P
I have not mastered anything but thanks for the vote of confidence Play , I think I have the lid on open 2 and then just held the registration button down and it saved it , I think its on the small hall reverb setting, when it comes to getting the sound the way you want it it just takes time and practice with the eq setting which helps alot because its right on the front of the board .

P
pwl Offline
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
P
Mike -

I've really enjoyed discovering your YouTube channel! So with the new Kawai, you've moved on from the P-515? If so, any comments/comparisons, etc.?

P
OP Offline
P
Thanks PWL , the Yamaha is a nice reliable piano and you can get a nice sound out of it , it is more complicated to set up than the Kawai and I think the Kawai has a nicer more articulate sound which makes it more enjoyable to play . The Yamaha would be great for teaching students or playing out because it build quality is pretty heavy duty , the action is fast and precise although heavier than the Kawai action , The Kawai has a light quick action I think because it seems like the key depth is a little shallower than the Yamaha . I have about five digital piano's now because I haven't traded any in in a while , buts that's okay because I still like to explore them all at different times just to compare them and enjoy the different sounds .My main practice piano is the MP 11 which has the most pianolike action but the SGK piano sound on the ES9 is superior to the EX Concert Grand on the MP 11 . The Roland RD 2000 I have now parked by the MP 11 and running through the little Roland Cube Speakers along with the MP11 . I have had these speakers forever , they still play great . I still enjoy playing the RD 2000 because I finally got used to the action and I like the 2015 RD 1000 piano sound on it . The keyboard I play the least is my Dexibell S3 which took me a year to get replaced because I had broke multiple hammers on the S3 , the action was more delicate than I thought and I am no good at getting the sounds that I like down loaded because I am no good with computers , it scares me to think I could lose all of my sounds if I hit the wrong button . Its kind of like the Nord I had but I like Sounds of the Dexibell Platinum Pianos better than the Nords , they are more organic and real sounding if you play them through powered Speakers , If I were to play them through my Roland Stereo 30 watt Amp the pianos would sound kind of crappy , but all the other piano's I have sound pretty nice or real nice threw the Tthe Roland Amp .

J
J
can i just ask, is this thread about the es920?

if it's actually about an es9 model, can someone provide a link to that?

P
OP Offline
P
Yes it is , I do not know computers that well , but if you go to Mike Lupinetti on you tube you should be on my youtube channel , I have two uploads of me playing my ES9 , one Misty is when I first got it a few weeks ago , I played and recorded it just using the onboard speaker without messing with the settings the other video is of your song I recorded that a couple of days ago running it through my Roland amp and added slow strings and I had tweaked the settings a little .

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Not heard the story of why they decided to call it the ES920 and ES520. Usually it's because they've already used the name ES9 in a previous generation of models from another era e.g., an organ from the 70's or something.
Perhaps it's just a marketing thing to provide a name that isn't expected, and therefore seems more new.

Instruments: Current - Kawai MP7SE; Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000
Software: Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand: K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
J
J
Originally Posted by Doug M.
Not heard the story of why they decided to call it the ES920 and ES520. Usually it's because they've already used the name ES9 in a previous generation of models from another era e.g., an organ from the 70's or something.
Perhaps it's just a marketing thing to provide a name that isn't expected, and therefore seems more new.

most likely it's so when they update the es110 the three 'levels' will fall into line and they can number the updated models consistently and clearly for probably a few decades

N
N
Originally Posted by jackopiano
ES9 = ES920 and vice versa
I suppose Kawai did that to update the piano of the same model (and avoid Roland's problem of putting letters like FP90X). Also the latest ES8 were different to the first

thanks Mike, it looks like a great piano

Last edited by Nigo; 06/23/21 07:06 AM.
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by jackopiano

if it's actually about an es9 model, can someone provide a link to that?

Finally someone addresses the elephant -ES920- in the room!

I noticed, but decided not to touch that elephant; I wonder how many of you simply went along with it -ES9- or genuinely had no idea.

No, there never was an ES9 (and everything that implies)!

P
OP Offline
P
Sorry for the confusion , it is the ES920 ,I have read and heard other people calling it the ES9 and did not even think about it when I posted it .

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Felt wear on hammers, Baldwin Hamilton
by JHender - 08/05/21 11:16 AM
DIY piano timbres on Kawai CN37 (magicpiano style)
by pppianomarc - 08/05/21 11:04 AM
Gx black logo
by NightShade - 08/05/21 10:50 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics208,386
Posts3,119,386
Members102,328
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission