2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
41 members (busa, clothearednincompo, Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, benkeys, Burkhard, 5 invisible), 1,125 guests, and 256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3129647 06/20/21 11:37 AM
M
OP Offline
M
Could someone recommend the most accurate/best tuner for recognizing vocal notes? I am a pianist that is going to be singing! I want to practice to make sure I'm hitting the notes correctly. I'm happy to pay for something professional and accurate. I'm looking for a tuner type of device that would tell me the exact note (and octave) that I'm singing. I tried a few phone apps and didn't think they worked very well. Is there a professional software or piece of professional hardware that I could buy? I'm new to all this so sorry in advance for my lack of knowledge on terminology. Thank you!

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Instead of investing $300, $600, or $1,000 for pro-level piano tuning apps or devices, I strongly suggest you take what you may have budgeted and hire a voice teacher. There are plenty of good ones in the Twin Cities.

It would be also a good idea to be doing your ear training and vocal work from a freshly tuned piano as your primary practice instrument.

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
As human voice has zero inharmonicity, about any software should give very accurate results, hardware quality (mics etc...) is not really important when measuring frequency, but by the end of the day your ears should do the job...

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I just tried the ones I had on my iphone. The one that responded best to singing is called "Pitch chromatic tuner" - it wasn't too jumpy to use like some of the apps more suited to instrument tuning. It displays note name and octave number which you should be able to translate to musical notation.

Ron Koval

Piano/instrument technician
www.ronkoval.com

M
OP Offline
M
Hi Ron, I have an Android phone.

Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
There's one in Play Store called "Free Universal Tuner". I had downloaded it in the past and it's actually pretty nifty. It responded to my voice so I think it would work okay. Hey, it's free! Be sure to look at all the instructions. I set it on chromatic so it will cover the whole keyboard. Also, one of the nice things is that if you hold down a note (there's a keyboard on it) it will play a tone so you can match to it or hear it, stop it and see if you can match it.

"That Tuning Guy"
Scott Kerns
Lincoln, Nebraska
www.thattuningguy.com
C
C
TE Tuner

https://www.tonalenergy.com/

edit: hey I recommended this yesterday lol!

Last edited by CaseyVancouver; 06/20/21 07:31 PM.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
You can always try a bunch of free ones. In the settings, look for "damping" or "response speed" and set to the slowest setting for voice.

It can be a rude awakening to see how difficult it is to hold a steady tone while singing!

Ron Koval

Piano/instrument technician
www.ronkoval.com

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
I was talking to a singer about that yesterday. I mentioned that many years ago, there was a Guinness World's Records show on television, and Sarah Vaughn was on to try to hold a note at pitch for some amount of time. They said she did it; I heard the pitch drop lower and lower.

My singer friend said that in order to hold the pitch steady, you need to aim to sing it higher and higher.

I believe that the best way to recognize tunings is to train your ears.

Semipro Tech
T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by CaseyVancouver
TE Tuner

https://www.tonalenergy.com/

edit: hey I recommended this yesterday lol!

This is what I use on wind instruments. I like the display and the cost is reasonable.

But for singing in tune I think using a drone is more useful than watching a tuner.

You play drones (I recommend the youtube cello drones) and sing along, matching pitch.

One exercise used by trombone players is to have the drone playing, and sing or hum the note, and slowly with control gliss up and down a half step, listening for beats. I also sing and play slow scales to a drone note.

On wind instruments there is an advanced technique recommended by some that I doubt would work on voice: You have the drone playing on speakers behind you, and a tuner on a music stand in front of you. Play a slow scale along with the drone note, and notice when the beats say you are in just tuning versus ET on the tuner screen. Wind musicians need to have both skills.

Of course you also need to record yourself singing to check your pitch (the singer at the RNC convention should have thought of that, before she learned the hard way).

gotta go practice

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission