2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
75 members (Beansparrow, AlphaTerminus, Azunyan, Abdol, Alex Hutor, Andonoff, apianostudent, 36251, 15 invisible), 1,440 guests, and 776 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Teleri Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Hi there, I have been lurking at PW for some time and this is my first post here!

I'm now considering upgrading to a 7' grand. Since I'm living in an apartment, the silent feature is a must. Now playing a C3X-TA but found the silent feature somehow changes the touch and makes the touch heavier, plus changes in sound (Yamaha samples sound from CFX). Now I have my eyes on three grands.

Bösendorfer 214VC Disklavier Pro
Just found one that just arrived less than two weeks ago at a dealer, and tried it a few days ago.
Pro
- The sound is wonderful and it sings marvelously.
- Touch is impressive. More responsiveness than my C3X. For some reason, the friction is also better. My hands tend to be more sweaty on my C3X.
- It comes with manufacturer installed silent + player features all in the Disklavier system. The consistency in touch w/ or w/o silent feature activated is quite good, clearly better than my C3X-TA now.
Con
- My only concern is on the player system: it seems that when the volume is adjusted to the minimum, the treble is suppressed way more than the bass, which makes the whole replay distorted (bass stands out too much like only the left hand is playing). The manager told me that the piano has little prep and it can be fixed by onsite calibration and regulation once delivered.

The piano is actually a special order from a customer but the customer decided to go with 280VC. So it is offered for $114k + tax. Financing available at 7% for 5 years.

Steinway model B Spirio R
Tried a brand new one at a local gallery last week.
Pro
- Typical Steinway sound.
- Touch and reaction are as good as expected for a Steinway
- Player system is integrated like an art with the piano from appearance (it does not look different than any regular model B other than the power cable), functionalities (super user-friendly editing tools, volume control is very consistent across all levels and registers) and app design (UI and responsiveness better than the Disklavier)
Con
- Unfortunately, Steinway does not install a silent feature (not even with the Spirio R) and it has to be done by 3rd party.
- Financing (via 3rd party) is only available to US citizens, not even PR.

Asking for $157k + tax or (125k + tax for a regular B), not including the cost to install the silent feature by 3rd party, which could cost ~$10k. Sales also suggested that the price is going up around 5% every year, and given the recent inflation trend, the number for this year will only get bigger.

Fazioli f212
Tried a new f212 last week at a local dealer.
Pro
- Top-notch craftsmanship that can be felt at the first sight.
- Sound and touch are clearly better than other onsite (used) Steinway grands.
Con
- No silent feature by default. The manager called Fazioli and told me that Fazioli can install the feature in the factory as a special order. Basically they bought the system from a Germany brand AD silent and install it on their own, which is claimed to be the best one in the market. Turn-around time is more than 6 months. The only way to experience the system is to visit Fazioli's Italy showroom at Milan or factory.

Asking price for the regular f212 is $137k + tax. The sales manager said he needs to check the EUR-USD exchange rate to see how much lower he can go as he needs to replace it if it is sold.

My questions are
- How does a 3rd party installed silent feature perform compared to the factory-installed ones like Disklavier. How does it affect the resale value? Has anyone heard about the Germany AD silent system before? Is it really the best in the market as the manager claims?
- Is the register inconsistency at different volumes an unknown issue on the Disklavier system?
- Pricing wise, Steinway seems to be the most demanding, not sure how lower they can go. What is the typical discount Steinway can offer? I understand that this may probably depends on the area but still wonder the ball park numbers.

Last edited by Teleri; 06/19/21 05:57 PM.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
I suggest asking the Bosie dealer to calibrate and regulate the piano before you buy it to see if the problem with the player system can be fixed. It seems strange to me that a 114K would have had only "little prep". I would be shocked if the dealer wasn't willing to accommodate you.

T
Teleri Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
I suggest asking the Bosie dealer to calibrate and regulate the piano before you buy it to see if the problem with the player system can be fixed. It seems strange to me that a 114K would have had only "little prep". I would be shocked if the dealer wasn't willing to accommodate you.

That is a good point! It was air freighted in last week and freshly out of the crate, possibly waiting for some prep.

I actually found the similar issue with another Bosendorfer 170VC Disklavier at a different local dealer but not on a Yamaha CFX with the same Disklavier system. So I just wonder if this is related to prep/calibr or anything else.

Last edited by Teleri; 06/19/21 07:31 PM.
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Fazioli: I would be very hesitant to buy a silent system that I hadn’t personally played. ..., but that’s just me.

Is a decent digital with headphones a consideration?

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
J
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
J
If a silent system is a must then your best option is Yamaha or Bösendorfer, with Kawai’s system a close runner up. Other makes will install silent systems but I’ve yet to be that impressed with any of them.

A third party silent system can be very costly, and honestly you might be better buying a separate digital piano

YAMAHA Artist
T
Teleri Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by dogperson
Fazioli: I would be very hesitant to buy a silent system that I hadn’t personally played. ..., but that’s just me.

Is a decent digital with headphones a consideration?

Me too here. That is why I probably have to visit their showroom in Milan or the factory before going that way if I really want a Fazioli.

Well, the space in my living room probably cannot allow a grand and a keyboard at the same time. I do like playing the acoustic piano when possible but also need the silent feature to practice during quiet hours. So the best solution to me seems to the an acoustic grand with silent feature.

T
Teleri Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by Joseph Fleetwood
If a silent system is a must then your best option is Yamaha or Bösendorfer, with Kawai’s system a close runner up. Other makes will install silent systems but I’ve yet to be that impressed with any of them.

A third party silent system can be very costly, and honestly you might be better buying a separate digital piano

Right, that is what I think right now. I'd better consider Steinway or Fazioli next time when silent feature is not a must anymore.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
1. Aftermarket stuff usually adds no value or takes away from it, in my observation of the resale market. But even factory player systems can do that, as most of these larger models are shopped by professional players and institutions (who look at such systems as a maintenance liability or a gimmick that might be obsolete in a decade or two). These are “forever” pianos, so resale value would be low on my list, honestly. Factory systems are preferable because they should be backed by the factory warranty, instead of a third party.

2. Sounds like the Enspire system on that Bösendorfer needs calibration or the action needs regulation. A store that knows they have a serious customer for a 6-figure instrument would do well to get that sorted out immediately and call you back for a re-audition.

3. There is no typical discount from a S&S dealer. Some stores are independently owned, single locations. Others are conglomerates. More and more are company-owned stores. Some stores pay cash for their inventory, while others finance their floor stock. I know of S&S dealers who’ve charged full MSRP for their flagship brand, and have seen discounts of 10-15% from other dealers. Sometimes even more in times of economic distress or a dealer who might be about to close.

My upright piano is for sale!
Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
Hi Teleri,

My thoughts are this - when a system is installed into a piano as an after market component, it is made to fit any piano. IOW, it is NOT made to fit any particular piano. I have installed many of these systems and a few have worked really well, most have worked reasonably well, and a few didn't work as we had hoped.

If you choose a system that is built specifically for a particular model, from an organization that has a wealth of experience in the field, you are much more likely to have a robust and satisfying experience.

Originally Posted by terminaldegree
1. Aftermarket stuff usually adds no value or takes away from it, in my observation of the resale market. But even factory player systems can do that, as most of these larger models are shopped by professional players and institutions (who look at such systems as a maintenance liability or a gimmick that might be obsolete in a decade or two). These are “forever” pianos, so resale value would be low on my list, honestly. Factory systems are preferable because they should be backed by the factory warranty, instead of a third party.

Right on the money, terminaldegree, but I digress with some of what you have said. In my region (Philadelphia), we are seeing more and more technology based pianos being purchased by professionals and institutions. Yes, technology becomes outdated, but if there is a real plan to update it over time, it will extend the useful life of the technology. And the capabilities are so incredible. For instance, being able to edit your recorded performance to change just a few notes is a real advantage over having to replay a piece for days to get the best possible recording.

Anyway, I hope I was helpful, Teleri.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
L
L
If I could chose among these three, I´d definitely go for the STEINGRABER C212.

It could be ordered with the excellent AdSilent-System featuring a modeled Steingraber concert grand with very good sound. Due to the patented mechanic integration from Martin Deuker, the action will not be affected by the silent system in a way that distracts from playing.

The Steingraeber might be halfway between the three brands, featuring crystal clarity from the Fazioli, a little warmer than the Steinway and Fazioli and more precise than the Bosie and a unique sound that makes me feel this is how a grand should sound and sing. Of course, it is a matter of personal taste... the action is great and the feel of the keyboard material is second to none in my opinion.

If you do not have a Steingraeber dealer in your region you might want to travel to Keith and play a few models. It is worth the trip I assume.

For the three models above, my guess is, that the Fazioli is the most "predictable" in sound. I would never ever buy a new Steinway B as the last ones I tested did not play in the top league (but they could if carefully prepped and selected). The Bosies are not so much to my taste so others could make more valuable comments than me.

Sorry for starting to throw in another option, but better now now before you get to play one after having bought a worse piano ;-)

Empty when full
S
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
S
They are three very different pianos. Forget the silent system, don't you have a preference for a certain kind of piano? What kind of music are you going to play on it?

T
Teleri Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by terminaldegree

2. Sounds like the Enspire system on that Bösendorfer needs calibration or the action needs regulation. A store that knows they have a serious customer for a 6-figure instrument would do well to get that sorted out immediately and call you back for a re-audition.

3. There is no typical discount from a S&S dealer. Some stores are independently owned, single locations. Others are conglomerates. More and more are company-owned stores. Some stores pay cash for their inventory, while others finance their floor stock. I know of S&S dealers who’ve charged full MSRP for their flagship brand, and have seen discounts of 10-15% from other dealers. Sometimes even more in times of economic distress or a dealer who might be about to close.

Thanks for your comments! Will see if the enspire system works more reasonably after calibration.

T
Teleri Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by Long Louis
If I could chose among these three, I´d definitely go for the STEINGRABER C212.

It could be ordered with the excellent AdSilent-System featuring a modeled Steingraber concert grand with very good sound. Due to the patented mechanic integration from Martin Deuker, the action will not be affected by the silent system in a way that distracts from playing.

The Steingraeber might be halfway between the three brands, featuring crystal clarity from the Fazioli, a little warmer than the Steinway and Fazioli and more precise than the Bosie and a unique sound that makes me feel this is how a grand should sound and sing. Of course, it is a matter of personal taste... the action is great and the feel of the keyboard material is second to none in my opinion.

If you do not have a Steingraeber dealer in your region you might want to travel to Keith and play a few models. It is worth the trip I assume.

For the three models above, my guess is, that the Fazioli is the most "predictable" in sound. I would never ever buy a new Steinway B as the last ones I tested did not play in the top league (but they could if carefully prepped and selected). The Bosies are not so much to my taste so others could make more valuable comments than me.

Sorry for starting to throw in another option, but better now now before you get to play one after having bought a worse piano ;-)

Thanks for the new perspective! I have never played Steingraeber before, nor the AdSilent-System. Should check it out once I have a chance. BTW, you mean Steingraeber factory in Germany by Keith?

T
Teleri Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by Sonepica
They are three very different pianos. Forget the silent system, don't you have a preference for a certain kind of piano? What kind of music are you going to play on it?

Mostly classical pieces (baroque, classical, romantic, impressionism). If the silent system does not matter, the choice would less complicated ;-(

I
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
I
Originally Posted by Teleri
BTW, you mean Steingraeber factory in Germany by Keith?

I think he meant Keith Kerman at PianoCraft in the Washington, DC area. A somewhat shorter plane flight for you than the factory.

Larry.

L
L
Originally Posted by iLaw
Originally Posted by Teleri
BTW, you mean Steingraeber factory in Germany by Keith?

I think he meant Keith Kerman at PianoCraft in the Washington, DC area. A somewhat shorter plane flight for you than the factory.

Larry.

Definitely! Pianocraft seems to have a great selection and reputed knowledge.

A trip to the factory is a great experience and wholeheartedly recommended. It is a question of priority😀

Empty when full

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai ES920 VS Yamaha P515
by Riccardo92 - 08/04/21 06:53 PM
Near-Equal Temperament
by Andonoff - 08/04/21 02:23 PM
Why my Pianoteq recording is so lifeless?
by JerryFan2000 - 08/04/21 01:14 PM
My recording for technical discussion
by Beemer - 08/04/21 12:58 PM
QRS system drive failure
by jkess114 - 08/04/21 12:54 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics208,374
Posts3,119,224
Members102,322
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission