2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (Carey, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 13 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I think this is the best piece liszt ever composed compeletely reflect his improvisational style from 3:55 to 5:35 I've never heard such a beautiful melody it's literally epitome of extraordinary piano writing. There is something different in this piece as if liszt speaking through it.

Last edited by Batuhan; 06/18/21 10:27 PM.

R
1000 Post Club Member
Online Sleepy
1000 Post Club Member
R
Yes, this is an underrated piece. It was composed after Chopin's death.

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ranjit
Yes, this is an underrated piece. It was composed after Chopin's death.

Yes also it's like homage to chopin

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
The 2nd Polonaise is much more flashier, hence it's relative popularity, it's like 'Jean qui pleure, Jean qui rit', same as with Chopin's op.40/1 and 2, even with Liszt's Ballades, the 1st of whitch one rarely hears, sometimes the lesser played works are musically even more precious than their more well-known brother/sisters.

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
I don't share the views of others who have posted so far on this thread. To me, there is too much empty bombast in a piece that just doesn't hang together. No wonder it isn't heard more.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Underrated compared to what? It might be underrated compared to other compositions of Liszt, but it is not underrated compared to majorworks of Chopin. I think it pales in comparison to Chopin's great polonaises (Op 44, Op 53, Op 61).

Reading Piano World with Javascript turned off (no logins, no ads, fast response times). I will receive PMs.
S
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
S
To say that it it is the best piece liszt ever composed is exaggerated. That piece has some issues in terms of overall balance and a good part sounds "empty". The second polonaise is better composed and also has more of a polonaise character, so it is more played.

Blüthner model 6
Online Content
I agree with those that think this polonaise is not one of Liszt's best works although I only listened to the first half of the piece and hadn't heard it before. It would be a bizarre situation if this was really one of Liszt's best pieces yet it was extremely rarely played in concert. I can't think of any reason why that would happen.

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Wouldn't be a piece that Brahms would have fallen in sleep while listening to ... (or would it? ... bang bang bang most of the time, maybe it's just me not being in the mood :-)

Last edited by newport; 06/20/21 08:22 AM.
B
B
Originally Posted by newport
Wouldn't be a piece that Brahms would have fallen in sleep while listening to ...
That was Liszt's B minor Sonata.

Which is, of course grossly underrated, and deserves to be far more widely known (and played) smirk .

If music be the food of love, play on!
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sweelinck
Underrated compared to what? It might be underrated compared to other compositions of Liszt, but it is not underrated compared to majorworks of Chopin. I think it pales in comparison to Chopin's great polonaises (Op 44, Op 53, Op 61).

pales ? liszt compositional skills are greater than chopin and much more versatile yes chopin's polonaises are great and masterpieces but you can't underestimate liszt do you ever listen liszt's late works like nuages gris and funeral prelude & march he discovered atonality way before schoenberg I mean liszt is ahead of his time like 100 years

Last edited by Batuhan; 06/20/21 02:29 PM.

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
I must add to all the above mentioned that Cziffra's execution is far from ideal, his doubling of bass notes is cheap and his overall conception doesn't help either.

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Batuhan

pales ? liszt compositional skills are greater than chopin and much more versatile yes chopin's polonaises are great and masterpieces but you can't underestimate liszt do you ever listen liszt's late works like nuages gris and funeral prelude & march he discovered atonality way before schoenberg I mean liszt is ahead of his time like 100 years
Discovering atonality would not elevate my opinion of Liszt's music. My feeling is that Liszt too often subordinated musical aesthetic to technical virtuosity, and that was certainly a distraction for me in this polonaise.

If this is Liszt's best composition, why would I need to hear others to elevate his status? We all have aesthetic preferences that lead to different rankings of composers, but I don't think history has been unfair to Liszt. Chopin is widely considered the greater composer of the two.

Reading Piano World with Javascript turned off (no logins, no ads, fast response times). I will receive PMs.

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Online Content

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
We all have aesthetic preferences that lead to different rankings of composers, but I don't think history has been unfair to Liszt. Chopin is widely considered the greater composer of the two.
Even Liszt himself admitted that.

In a letter written twenty-seven years after Chopin’s death to Carolyne Sayn-Wittgenstein Liszt commented, “no one compares to him: he shines lonely, peerless in the firmament of art.” smile

Last edited by Carey; 06/20/21 04:35 PM.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
Online Content
Chopin was not a fan of Liszt's music. His faves were Bach and Mozart. He was also not a fan of Beethoven.

S
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by dolce sfogato
I must add to all the above mentioned that Cziffra's execution is far from ideal, his doubling of bass notes is cheap and his overall conception doesn't help either.

I would agree with that. Cziffra is a great pianist, but I did not find this version to be very convincing.

Blüthner model 6
R
1000 Post Club Member
Online Sleepy
1000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by Carey
We all have aesthetic preferences that lead to different rankings of composers, but I don't think history has been unfair to Liszt. Chopin is widely considered the greater composer of the two.

In a letter written twenty-seven years after Chopin’s death to Carolyne Sayn-Wittgenstein Liszt commented, “no one compares to him: he shines lonely, peerless in the firmament of art.” smile
I disagree. Liszt is known to have been very generous towards other composers, even premiering their works and not withholding praise in general. All he says here is that Chopin is without peer, unique, not "the best".

Liszt is pretty much equally good. His compositions are stunning, and I think that saying that there are "too many notes" is personal preference. The fact of the matter is that the texture would not be the same without all of those notes, and the intensity of emotion which he can generate is unparalleled even by Chopin imo.

I don't know if I would say the whole piece is great, but certainly 3:55-5:35 is incredible.

Liszt was far better at textural writing than Chopin imo. I think history has been unfair to Liszt, not in terms of how often it is performed, but how so many of his works have been branded "empty virtuosity" when they are anything but.

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
I don't know if I would say the whole piece is great, but certainly 3:55-5:35 is incredible.
I think history has been unfair to Liszt, not in terms of how often it is performed, but how so many of his works have been branded "empty virtuosity" when they are anything but.
Describing the music as "empty virtuosity" is a much stronger statement than "too often subordinated the musical aesthetic to technical virtuosity. I don't think music historians are any more negative in their assessment of Liszt than your comment that 3:55 to 5:35 is great, but the rest of the piece isn't.

Online Content

I disagree. Liszt is known to have been very generous towards other composers, even premiering their works and not withholding praise in general. All he says here is that Chopin is without peer, unique, not "the best".
Peerless means the best.

R
1000 Post Club Member
Online Sleepy
1000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by pianoloverus

Peerless means the best.
No, it doesn't.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission