2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
109 members (Bill McKaig,RPT, Azunyan, accordeur, Andonoff, adamcz, Amy H, Anglagard44, 22 invisible), 1,567 guests, and 861 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
OP Offline
D
Hi. I’m looking at both new pianos. Have a Kawai GX2 - want something larger. Thoughts/perspectives on the differences or preferences from those who have played and/or serviced both? Thanks!

L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Play them, only you can decide which you like better.

Both are good pianos from reputable manufacturers.

Not much to go off then sound and touch.

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400

2006 August Förster 215
j&j Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I’ve played the C6X but it was years ago. I loved it if I had the room and more spending money. Unfortunately I haven’t had the opportunity to try the Bechstein. Of course if I had the room and the money, I’d order a CF6. Try them both and buy the one you like/love the best. Best Wishes!

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Pianos- the reason God made trees
[Linked Image]
J
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
J
Have you played both pianos for yourself? In terms of which is objectively better, that's extremely difficult to say. Yamaha pianos are known for their durability, reliability, and they respond well to voicing. Yamaha pianos have a fairly neutral sound, and that's not in *any* way a slight on them, it's simply saying that in the hands of the right technician, the possibilities for voicing a Yamaha are wide. Yamahas have an extremely durable and responsive action which I would go as far as saying is the envy of many other makers.

Bechstein pianos are of course one of the most famous and revered brands ever. Their instruments are durable and we know that when a Bechstein reaches a certain age and fails (50 years, 100 years, 120 years) they can be rebuilt and have a new lease of life. The Bechstein A-series is made with a slightly more streamlined manufacturing process. There are differences between the Academy Series and the Concert series in terms of the way the rim is constructed, the pinblock, and there are differences in the action as well. But it is still a Bechstein, and Bechstein feel it's worth of the C. Bechstein branding, so when I say scaled down I do not mean low quality. The Bechstein A-series tone is slightly more perfumed than the Yamaha, if you like, more complicated. That suits some players and doesn't suit other players. They have an incredibly high quality action and technicians seem to love working on them.

They are both incredible pianos really, but you'd have to try them for yourself. Don't rely on YouTube videos etc, because often you find that pianos on YouTube videos are not well enough prepared.

I often say on this forum (to the point where people are probably bored of reading it), the important thing here is to find a good technician. A good, competent technician who can get into that piano and bring out the best in it. For sure, a piano has a personality and the technician will never be able to make a Yamaha sound like a Bechstein or vice versa, and nor should they, but your enjoyment and impression of the piano will be greatly enhanced in the hands of a good technician. A piano is really only as good as the last person who serviced it.

YAMAHA Artist
S
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
S
The 7s are a significant step up from the 6s. Could you find an extra 15cm of space and a little extra money for the S7X? Probably still cheaper than the Bechstein I would imagine.

S
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
S
I thought the thread was S6X vs Bechstein but it's actually C6X. Still, make sure you consider the C7X as well.

D
OP Offline
D
Hi all. Yes, I’ve played them both. But the rooms they were in were very different and at two different places/buildings. I think that makes a difference. I like the Bechsteins I played but the Yamaha had a growl in the bass that was just exquisite. So incredibly different from my Kawai GX2

Online Content
You mean a certain "type of growl" that you prefer? I would go with that if the piano has the right tone and sustain for your taste.

Last edited by tre corda; 06/20/21 07:24 PM.

My piano is my friend and my voice to the great unknown out there.One never ignores a friend.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Originally Posted by Joseph Fleetwood
A piano is really only as good as the last person who serviced it.
Although a good tech is certainly important, I think this statement is misleading. A terrific piano serviced by a C level but still competent tech will generally still sound excellent but not as good as if it were serviced by an A level tech. A lousy piano serviced by an A level tech can certainly sound and play worse than a much better piano serviced by a non A level tech. Your statement makes it sound like everything depends on the tech, and I don't think that's reasonable.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 06/20/21 07:40 PM.
B
BDB Offline
B
There are so-called lower quality pianos that can be maintained to play better than so-called high level pianos that are poorly maintained. That can happen very quickly.

Semipro Tech
J
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Although a good tech is certainly important, I think this statement is misleading. A terrific piano serviced by a C level but still competent tech will generally still sound excellent but not as good as if it were serviced by an A level tech. A lousy piano serviced by an A level tech can certainly sound and play worse than a much better piano serviced by a non A level tech. Your statement makes it sound like everything depends on the tech, and I don't think that's reasonable.

Let me put it this way:

Hailun is a low-cost brand of reasonably good quality. Steinway is a high-cost brand of exceptional quality. That's pretty much accepted by everyone in the industry and on this forum.

Let's compare a Hailun 218 with a Steinway B from either factory.

If a Steinway piano is badly regulated and voiced so that it is heavy, uneven, brassy sounding, and downright unmusical, and if the Hailun has been prepared to the highest level by an extremely competent technician, which piano is going to give the better playing experience? Which one will make it easier for you to play? Obviously the well-prepared Hailun.

YAMAHA Artist
Online Content

Let me put it this way:

Hailun is a low-cost brand of reasonably good quality. Steinway is a high-cost brand of exceptional quality. That's pretty much accepted by everyone in the industry and on this forum.

If a Steinway piano is badly regulated and voiced so that it is heavy, uneven, brassy sounding, and downright unmusical, and if the Hailun has been prepared to the highest level by an extremely competent technician, which piano is going to give the better playing experience? Which one will make it easier for you to play? Obviously the well-prepared Hailun.
I was very careful to say in my comment that I wasn't considering the better piano to be in the worst possible condition imaginable the way you described it. That's why I described it as being prepared by a "competent" but not A level tech. My point being the inherent quality of the piano has to count for something in the final evaluation of the piano, and it's a combination of the piano's inherent quality and the preparation that give the final result. I think that's a more accurate description that your "A piano is really only as good as the last person who serviced it."

J
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
J

Let me put it this way:

I was very careful to say in my comment that I wasn't considering the better piano to be in the worst possible condition imaginable the way you described it. That's why I described it as being prepared by a "competent" but not A level tech. My point being the inherent quality of the piano has to count for something in the final evaluation of the piano, and it's a combination of the piano's inherent quality and the preparation that give the final result. I think that's a more accurate description that your "A piano is really only as good as the last person who serviced it."

There have been times when I have played top class instruments serviced by C level techs and any inherent quality the instrument had was pretty much thrown out of the window. Including new pianos I have to say.

It’s fairly obvious that the two pianos in question here are of good quality and both new, and it’s fairly obvious what the implications of my statement were. I guess since you are here as an arbiter of truth and to pick apart everything everyone says I’ll have to be more careful next time. You must be a right laugh at a party, life and soul I expect! If we ever meet I’ll be sure to only talk in peer reviewed statements with footnotes and bibliography recited to you in Chicago style.

YAMAHA Artist
Online Content
There have been times when I have played top class instruments serviced by C level techs and any inherent quality the instrument had was pretty much thrown out of the window. Including new pianos I have to say.

It’s fairly obvious that the two pianos in question here are of good quality and both new, and it’s fairly obvious what the implications of my statement were. I guess since you are here as an arbiter of truth and to pick apart everything everyone says I’ll have to be more careful next time. You must be a right laugh at a party, life and soul I expect! If we ever meet I’ll be sure to only talk in peer reviewed statements with footnotes and bibliography recited to you in Chicago style.
A non answer laced with insults.

Online Content
Perhaps what is meant is that piano A (a high end performance grade piano) has the potential to be a far better piano than piano B which is a budget level piano which is limited in longevity and response. Yet piano B would be the better piano to perform on for a recital at a given time because it has been serviced by an excellent technician.
Apart from this piano A is still the better piano while it remains
in good health, but not for the performer who needs to use it soon for a concert.

My piano is my friend and my voice to the great unknown out there.One never ignores a friend.

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Near-Equal Temperament
by Andonoff - 08/04/21 02:23 PM
Why my Pianoteq recording is so lifeless?
by JerryFan2000 - 08/04/21 01:14 PM
My recording for technical discussion
by Beemer - 08/04/21 12:58 PM
QRS system drive failure
by jkess114 - 08/04/21 12:54 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics208,373
Posts3,119,186
Members102,322
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission