2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
97 members (apianostudent, Batuhan, Ampersand, AlainGeneva, Beemer, accordeur, APianistHasNoName, 36251, 22 invisible), 1,609 guests, and 605 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Q
OP Offline
Q
I know this has probably already been partly covered in other discussions.

I finally got to try out the MP11SE and CA99 side by side yesterday. I’ve only every managed to play one or the other so far.

For my setup, the CA99, lovely as it is, is probably overkill as I will rarely be able to use the onboard speakers.

I’m not a fan of the touchscreen interface on the CA99 to be honest. I’m sure I’d learn to navigate it fairly quickly but I find it a little cumbersome compared to the direct button access of the MP11SE. I do wonder what direction an eventual successor to this model would adopt as its interface. I can’t imagine a touch screen being very good for the quick on-the-fly changes required in a live performance. I wonder if that is also part of the reason that this model hasn’t seen an update.

I did prefer the GFIII action of the CA99 over the GF action of the MP11SE. The texturing on the black notes is nice, there was less side-to-side movement on the keys and noticing less sponginess at the bottom of travel. I still really like the MP11SE and am seriously considering it as the action is a vast improvement upon my Nord Piano 2. I hope that the GFIII would be added to any upgrade.

Over headphones I didn’t notice a huge difference in the samples between the two models but was in a shop environment. The CA99 probably sounded a tad nicer.

Such a shame there is no dedicated stage stand/legs for the MP11SE like there is for the Nord stuff. I’d hope that any successor adds this.

So like many, I’m wondering whether to just get the MP11SE or wait it out to see what the future brings and keep using my Nord for now.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
MP11SE successor
1) Keep the metal case and overall design---it's really a selling point.
2) It's the flag-ship, so 8 parts with 8 magnetically controlled sliders (see Dexibel Vivo S9 pro) making a possible 8 zones. Possibly learn from the Roland effects panel, but the sound selection is best in market.
3) Morphing sound is really cool, so add that.
4) Deeper to include better action
5) Yes, a nicer stand: one for portable use, one for the home.
6) Yes to Onkyo studio monitors designed specifically for the MP unit. Sell them on the open market, so they are also stand-alone.
7) Include MP7SE sound-set, as it's the flag-ship.
8) £2,400 should be the price point.
9) Include same sampling as in the ES920.

For MP7SE successor
1) Upgraded screen with better knob control.
2) Lighter weight for gigging (composites instead of metal etc)
3) Same parts (4) but include 4 effects buttons per zone, i.e., to match the first zone.
4) Custom stand like the nice Yamaha one.
5) Choice of Onkyo studio monitors or Onkyo PA unit
6) Improved RHIV action
7) Points 1, 3 and 9 as above
8) £1,400 price point.

Instruments: Current - Kawai MP7SE; Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000
Software: Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand: K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
L
L
I really wonder when we will hear any good news from Kawai about…

A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Quatschmacher
I know this has probably already been partly covered in other discussions.

I finally got to try out the MP11SE and CA99 side by side yesterday. I’ve only every managed to play one or the other so far.

For my setup, the CA99, lovely as it is, is probably overkill as I will rarely be able to use the onboard speakers.

I’m not a fan of the touchscreen interface on the CA99 to be honest. I’m sure I’d learn to navigate it fairly quickly but I find it a little cumbersome compared to the direct button access of the MP11SE. I do wonder what direction an eventual successor to this model would adopt as its interface. I can’t imagine a touch screen being very good for the quick on-the-fly changes required in a live performance. I wonder if that is also part of the reason that this model hasn’t seen an update.

I did prefer the GFIII action of the CA99 over the GF action of the MP11SE. The texturing on the black notes is nice, there was less side-to-side movement on the keys and noticing less sponginess at the bottom of travel. I still really like the MP11SE and am seriously considering it as the action is a vast improvement upon my Nord Piano 2. I hope that the GFIII would be added to any upgrade.

Over headphones I didn’t notice a huge difference in the samples between the two models but was in a shop environment. The CA99 probably sounded a tad nicer.

Such a shame there is no dedicated stage stand/legs for the MP11SE like there is for the Nord stuff. I’d hope that any successor adds this.

So like many, I’m wondering whether to just get the MP11SE or wait it out to see what the future brings and keep using my Nord for now.

There is an exact same post already in the forum.

MP series are stage instruments and all the stages are closed. It's mindlessness to announce a new stage instrument during the pandemic.

Kawai MP7SE, Yamaha MOTF XF6, Yamaha WX5, Yamaha Pacifica 112v
A
A
It would be interesting to know the statistics of how many MP11/SEs were bought for stage use, and how many for home and studio.

A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by AlexBltn
It would be interesting to know the statistics of how many MP11/SEs were bought for stage use, and how many for home and studio.

No statistics needed. It was record breaking. Yet is is not going to justify to release MP7SE+/11SE+

The current instruments sell quite well already and a new iteration isn't constructive. It will have issues from supplies to production and sales.

L
L
What ever is the reason... Would be nice to hear some news from Kawai... a potential relase date or something about new potential features...

...about the pandemic issue... I know for sure that we had a big increase in the DP market in Europe... with many people that have started to play piano... o back to play...

...and considering the well known "slip tape" issue of the MP11SE (that I have never seen or read in any reviews, but which unfortunately is a real issue)... would be really nice to know that we will have "soon" a MP11SE successor.. in my opinion of course

Last edited by littlemega; 06/22/21 04:29 AM.
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Doug M.
MP11SE successor
1) Keep the metal case and overall design---it's really a selling point.
4) Deeper to include better action
5) Yes, a nicer stand: one for portable use, one for the home.
+1

And add:

• USB Audio (every competitor now has this)
  • 192kHz output and samples (Dexibell already has this)

If it has those 5 features then they can take my money now smile

Last edited by Burkey; 06/22/21 05:55 AM.

Pianos are one of the best human inventions of the past 320 years - help evangelize the magic!
A
A
Originally Posted by littlemega
...and considering the well known "slip tape" issue of the MP11SE (that I have never seen or read in any reviews, but which unfortunately is a real issue)

Kawai is aware of this problem, but has been selling these models for years. Why do we need a successor? After all:
Originally Posted by Abdol
The current instruments sell quite well already

Same with the old problematic pedal block in the VPC1. Why do we need a successor with the GFP-3 pedal unit? After all, the VPC1 sells well.

They don't care.

L
L
@AlexBltn I meant that the "slip tape" issue is not mentioned in the reviews made by "sellers" or just "piano bloggers"... I know well the videos that you have shared (unfortunately and fortunately), I was ready to buy the MP11SE months ago but after watching these videos about "slip tape" issue I decided to don't buy it. I would love to have one MP11SE but I think is not very smart to buy something knowing in advance that it will cause you problems for a well know issue, unless if someone has money to waste... Yes they sell well, no doubts, because in the maggiority buyers are not piano "nerds", many people don't spend or don't have time to search hard before to buy...

A
A
Of course, sellers will never mention this. I too categorically refused to consider MP11SE. Aside from the VPC1's MIDI controller, the MP11SE is the only remaining digital piano model in the current Kawai lineup with a completely outdated Grand Feel action that still has this infamous problem. All other models in the Grand Feel family have been transferred to the problem-free Grand Feel Compact and Grand Feel III actions.

A
A
Originally Posted by Doug M.
MP11SE successor
9) Include same sampling as in the ES920.

So you wouldn't want the top-end SK-EX Rendering Sound Engine to come to the top-end slab digital piano? Strange, but I was hoping for SK-EX Rendering in the successor to MP11, but in 2017 MP11SE came out without this engine, although at that time the CA78/98 models with this sound engine were already announced. Thus, the hypothetical successor, so expected by some, will come out with the sound engine from ES8, and will be content only with it for at least the next three years. Okay, apparently, this is what we expected/deserved.

A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by littlemega
...and considering the well known "slip tape" issue of the MP11SE (that I have never seen or read in any reviews, but which unfortunately is a real issue)

Same with the old problematic pedal block in the VPC1. Why do we need a successor with the GFP-3 pedal unit? After all, the VPC1 sells well.

They don't care.

I see your point, but during the pandemic, resolving known issues is much easier than addressing bizarre issues of the new iteration. MP series is Kawai's flagship stage piano.

I'm not against the new MP series but I'm trying to see this from Kawai's point of view.

C
C
I completely agree with littlemega and AlexBltn. I would buy a new MP11 with a fixed keyboard in an heartbeat. I refuse to spend 2000 euro on a product with a known issue. Even the same model with the new GF3 would be fine for me. They can call it MP11se+, I don't care. Just give me a reliable keyboard.

Q
OP Offline
Q
I would likely only be using this for home studio purposes. I don’t need the big cabinet of the CA99 but I’d sure love its GFIII action.

Does anybody think Kawai would put the touchscreen interface in a successor? I guess it’s logical given that it’s in all the newer products, but I think it’d be a nightmare to operate on a gig. I wonder if this conundrum is part of the delay in bringing out a replacement.

Last edited by Quatschmacher; 06/22/21 06:35 PM.
A
A
I don't think so (and I hope it won't have a touchscreen interface. Enough stories about the flagship CA series with a lousy implementation). Large touch screens in slabs can be justified if it is a powerful workstation with a bunch of features, which the MP-series, especially the 11SE, is not. And from a marketing point of view, when you need to additionally attract a user with a large color screen, on which various instruments are displayed in the form of large pictures, like in children's picture books, this series is designed for a different target audience.

Perhaps in the case of other brands, I could consider a combination of physical controls and a touchscreen. But this is not the case with Kawai. When I see how the touch interface is implemented in flagship CA instruments and in the NV-series, when I read user reviews about it, I think: thank Lord that in the MP-series the control is done using physical buttons, knobs and sliders.

Q
OP Offline
Q
Yeah, I find the touch screen pretty fiddly. I really hope they’d keep the physical buttons and sliders as they are much more direct.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
It is strange that Kawai chose to use LCD screens in their NV5S and NV10S - when their other models like the DG30 now use 20 years more advanced OLED technology. I guess they must have just had a warehouse full of LCD screens they had to use up.

Hopefully they don't include LCD in the MP12.

Last edited by Burkey; 06/23/21 05:19 AM.

Pianos are one of the best human inventions of the past 320 years - help evangelize the magic!
A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
I don't think so (and I hope it won't have a touchscreen interface. Enough stories about the flagship CA series with a lousy implementation). Large touch screens in slabs can be justified if it is a powerful workstation with a bunch of features, which the MP-series, especially the 11SE, is not. And from a marketing point of view, when you need to additionally attract a user with a large color screen, on which various instruments are displayed in the form of large pictures, like in children's picture books, this series is designed for a different target audience.

Perhaps in the case of other brands, I could consider a combination of physical controls and a touchscreen. But this is not the case with Kawai. When I see how the touch interface is implemented in flagship CA instruments and in the NV-series, when I read user reviews about it, I think: thank Lord that in the MP-series the control is done using physical buttons, knobs and sliders.

Tablet/cellphone integration is far better than adding a touchscreen. e.g. iPad integration is a must even for the current MP series.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Vibration in new piano
by Fantine56 - 07/30/21 03:20 PM
Hardman Peck console question
by eebird - 07/30/21 02:25 PM
Auction of rare piano collection
by Sweelinck - 07/30/21 01:04 PM
Please Help Me Find This Sheet
by Shinobi - 07/30/21 12:14 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics208,294
Posts3,117,672
Members102,284
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission