2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
104 members (adamcz, Amy H, Azunyan, brdwyguy, Anglagard44, Andonoff, 36251, 23 invisible), 1,577 guests, and 883 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
After seeing Busa's post about extreme piano moving, I began thinking about all the moves my piano has endured. I suppose many people who buy/have a piano don't move too much. For me, however, I've been pretty peripatetic. (I've read about some guy who travels around the world with his piano!) Anyway, I'm wondering about your own extreme or multiple moves. Here are mine, complete:

• Jacksonville, FL: Original purchase new, moved to second floor walkup. The guys rammed it into the plaster on the landing and insurance covered it. Then job change:
• Hialeah Gardens, FL. 5th floor via elevator. Mayflower Moving (big mistake) They installed the legs wrong, with the tail leg moving to the right side. Then marriage:
• Coral Gables, FL. Small bungalow, one floor, easy entrance through breezy screened-in porch. Legs put on correctly. Then lease was up:
• South Beach, FL. Few steps up to porch and into the LR. Easy peasy. Then newly purchased home:
• South Miami, FL. 3 steps up, 3 steps down into the LR. Not so bad. Then move to be near mother-in-law:
• Plantation, FL: 3 steps up, abrupt left turn, abrupt right turn, then 3 steps down into LR. Then, new job and moved north:
• Hoboken, NJ. Second floor walkup in historical brownstone. The guys did severe damage to the staircase, actually dislocating it from the wall! More insurance. Then across the river:
• Riverdale, NY: 9th floor apartment, fit in service elevator well, and where I have lived for a longer period of time than in any other home I've owned or rented. And never, NEVER plan to move again!

My piano is not the prettiest thing in the world. It's beat up with lots of playing, multiple moves and sun damage from unshielded windows down South. But inside, it's still pretty darn playable. But I got to thinking: Has anyone had this many moves in the life of a single piano, and what challenges did you (and the piano) have to endure?

Last edited by cfhosford; 06/17/21 02:36 PM.

1978 Chickering Patrician
5 feet 8-1/2 inches (178 cm)
Aeolian-American Corp.
East Rochester, NY
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
My Everett Studio upright - purchased new in 1976 - has endured the following "relocations:"

1976 - Kansas City - Dealer to ground floor apartment
1976 - Kansas City to Crete, Nebraska (second floor)
1977 - Nebraska to Springfield Illinois (ground floor - no steps)
1978 - Springfield to Indianapolis (ground floor - three steps)
1979 - Second move in Indianapolis (ground floor - two steps)
1979 - Indianapolis to Omaha (basement - down a flight of stairs)
1981 - Second move to Omaha (ground floor - three steps)
1984 - Omaha to Dallas (ground floor)
1984 - Second move in Dallas (ground floor - two steps)
1988 - Third move in Dallas (ground floor)
1994 - Dallas to Phoenix (ground floor)
1999 - Second move in Phoenix (ground floor - three steps)
2017 - Third move in Phoenix (ground floor)

Other than a chip taken out of the bottom rear of the piano while moving it down a flight of stairs in Nebraska in 1977, the piano managed to sustain no damage from these moves - the majority of which were NOT done by professional piano movers. grin

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
My current piano has only been moved twice -wait, three times.

1. From dealer to original seller
2. From seller's house to my house
3. From one wall in my living room to an adjacent wall in the same room

The only really dicey one was the move out of the seller's house and on to the moving truck. The piano movers came as a two-man team when they really probably needed two, or maybe even four people. Still, they got the piano successfully onto the truck without injuring themselves or the piano, so it worked out in the end!

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
My piano was built in 1907— I so wish I could find it’s History 😥. I even tried contacting M & H corporate, but to no avail

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
B
BDB Offline
B
Mine was moved from the factory in New York to Cline Piano in San Francisco in 1923, then to a house in Burlingame, until I bought it about 1980. El Cerrito until 1995, then part of it went to the refinisher, and the rest came here to Oakland, and then they were reunited. About 7 years ago, I moved it to a shop in Oakland while the house was remodeled, and then it came back when the house was finished, a year and a half later.

Semipro Tech
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Yikes, that's a lot of moves! I can't believe your piano got damaged on the first one, that must have been heartbreaking frown

I've only had my piano in one spot but it's been through at least two moves with the previous owner. There's a small chip in the back corner that could have been from one of the moves.

When it came to my house, there were two guys who drove it up from California. When they were moving it up the step into my house, they dropped down the back end (on purpose) as they were getting it through the threshold and it stopped less than an inch from my patio! The older guy knew exactly where everything was but it didn't stop me from almost having a heart attack wink

Last edited by twocats; 06/17/21 07:45 PM.

2001 Petrof 125 -> 2002 Petrof IV -> 1999 Bösendorfer 225

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
6000 Post Club Member

6000 Post Club Member
Wow, some of you have moved a lot!!

I actually chose not to buy a piano for a long time, because I wanted to remain fairly "light" and be able to move easily. There was a lot of opportunity and turbulence in the computer industry, and I liked being able to move at the drop of a hat. I considered digitals, but never got one.

So, pianoless, I moved a good bit: Washington State, California, Augusta, Atlanta, Switzerland, Augusta, NYC, Atlanta, Augusta, Washington DC, Virginia (I returned to Augusta at multiple junctures to help with family stuff or family business, and Atlanta was also a multi-stop because it was close to home and had better opportunities).

Anyway, in '07 all that changed when I met Mrs. Retsacnal, got married and "settled down." I had moved to DC for a "six month" job that lasted 4 years. By the end I'd bought a house in the Virginia suburbs, was married and dad to two awesome young ladies (whom I've also adopted).

Since I was putting down roots, I finally got a piano, and now I've got four in the house! The next move is really gonna suck...

My "main" piano was built in 1950. The lady I bought it from was almost certainly not its original owner. I don't know it's full history, but probably at least three moves. Well, 4 since I just moved it down to the basement (to rejuvenate the finish and probably restring it).

My project piano (1956 Hamilton) I actually know better: the family I bought it from had purchased it from their church's music minister in Portsmouth, VA, and moved it to Fredericksburg, VA. 20 years later they are downsizing, so I bought it and moved it an hour north. So that's 4 moves when you consider the original delivery, and perhaps one more because I suspect it may have passed through a church before the music minister took it home since there's a "Keynote Piano Tuning of Portsmouth" decal on the cheek block, so maybe 5.

The "loaner" that's sitting where my main piano usually sits also went to its previous owner via a church pianist (but was in her home), and the guy who sold it to me said she was its original owner, so 3 moves.

My former project piano, that's sitting inconspicuously in my garage again, has got several moving inventory decals on it. I saw these a lot as a military brat--each time we moved our stuff would be cataloged that way--so I'm assuming it was moved quite a bit.

How to Upload Pictures
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

j&j Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Well, I’ve had several pianos and several moves so here goes:

1995 -bought my little Baldwin upright which was moved from 1st owners house to mine in Los Lunas NM. Used professional piano movers. 1993 It was originally moved from Baldwin dealer to National Guard building for a big sale then to the first buyers home.

2003 - we moved to Albuqureque and took the Baldwin. Used professional movers although not piano movers.

2005- moved back to a rental home in Los Lunas to sell Albuqureque home. Professional movers but not piano movers took the Baldwin.

2005- moved to Placitas with professional movers and took the Baldwin.

2009 - bought my Polished Walnut Yamaha GB1K while in Placitas directly from Yamaha and traded in the Baldwin. Professional Piano movers did the job.

2012- traded my GBK1 for a new polished ebony C3. Professional piano movers. The biggest hassle was a somewhat steep driveway which the moving truck seemed to handle.

2015 - moved back to Albuqureque with the C3 - used professional piano movers. A couple scary moments with the steep driveway in Placitas but I was at the Albuqureque house so didn’t see it.

2019 - had a major health scare from which I fully recovered thanks to a merciful Lord. I decided life is too short and went to the Yamaha dealer’s big sale. and traded in the C3 for the Estonia L190. Professional piano movers.

Depending on what happens with my current vision issues and whether I need to get stuff done in Denver Colorado, we may move to Tennessee in the near future. If we don’t, we’ll stay here. The Estonia will move with us.

My great fortune is that all the pianos stayed pristine with all the moves, even the traveling Baldwin.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Pianos- the reason God made trees
[Linked Image]
L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Only 4 moves,

1 from Factory to Cathedral city, CA
2 Cathedral city to original buyers first home
3 First home to second home
4 Second home to my place.

Last edited by Learux; 06/18/21 12:29 PM.

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400

2006 August Förster 215
M
M
My upright's moves have cost a lot more than it has ever been worth since I've owned it!

I don't know how many moves it had in the first half of its life, but probably just a handful at most, and possibly all within the same city (where it was made).

I've had it for 46 years. In that time it has been through 1 local, 1 regional and 5 international moves. It has been dangled off a crane to and from 2 different 8th floor apartments, and carried down the stairs from another! And it was never damaged during any of those moves.

Online Content
My recent trade in (Schomacker Grand) had a good 8 moves;
From 1993 - 2021

Taylor Music to My Condo 1
Condo to Parents House 2
House to Townhouse 3
Townhouse1 to Townhouse2 4
Townhouse 2 to South Carolina 5
SC to NC Apt 6
NC Apt to NC House 7
NC House to Trade in Dealer 8

Last edited by brdwyguy; 06/18/21 01:47 PM.

Emerson Upright (1920's)
Westbrook Spinet (1969)
Schomacker Model A (1912)
Steinway Model A (1912)

6000 Post Club Member

6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Learux
1 from Factory to ...

Oops... add 1 to each of mine! thumb

How to Upload Pictures
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

I'm so boring ... no moves at all.

However, there may be a move in the future from Virginia to New Mexico, so that's quite a change in average humidity levels.

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Near-Equal Temperament
by Andonoff - 08/04/21 02:23 PM
Why my Pianoteq recording is so lifeless?
by JerryFan2000 - 08/04/21 01:14 PM
My recording for technical discussion
by Beemer - 08/04/21 12:58 PM
QRS system drive failure
by jkess114 - 08/04/21 12:54 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics208,373
Posts3,119,161
Members102,322
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission