2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
68 members (brdwyguy, 36251, accordeur, Beansparrow, c++, APianistHasNoName, anotherscott, bhmpower, 13 invisible), 1,387 guests, and 718 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Saan Offline OP
OP Offline
I cross-posted this to the Pianist forum, because it seems more appropriate there, but I have felt more comfortable on this side of the forum, so I figured I'd ask here too. smile

My daughter’s violin teacher asked me to be the accompanist for her recital on very short notice. I received the sheet music yesterday and the recital is tomorrow! The music is all pretty simple and I have enough time to practice it so that I will be able to play it well enough. My concern is more about accompanying little kids (like 6-8 years old). I know I should keep the beat no matter what, and be prepared to try to meet them where they are if they get lost or behind (I know from working with my daughter that she tends to put little rests at the end of phrases and get behind, I suspect this might be common). I have not done any accompanying since I was in high school, and of course I would like to do well for these kids. Are there some tips or advice you could share with me? Thanks.

12 years of lessons as a child -- a 23 year break shocked -- back at it since 2020
Yamaha U3H
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
You should align your tempo to the violin so that you sound together. If they slow down, so should you. You should not try to correct their tempo during the concert. Other than that, knowing how the person plays helps to anticipate. You should try to do some rehearsal before.

F
F
A few thoughts:

- try to arrange a rehearsal before

- perform the piece to someone today so that you have some performance experience of it

- try to learn the piece from memory so that your eyes don't take over tomorrow.

- keep listening during the performance and adjust to how the soloist performs

- remember that, despite your own adrenalin rush of how unfamiliar the situation is, that the focus should all be on the soloist.

- breathe and stay hydrated.

- enjoy it! How lovely to be playing with someone and, presumably, in front of people again.

Saan Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Sidokar
You should align your tempo to the violin so that you sound together. If they slow down, so should you. You should not try to correct their tempo during the concert. Other than that, knowing how the person plays helps to anticipate. You should try to do some rehearsal before.

Got it. I will revise my "keep the beat no matter what" to "try to keep a sense of pulse but follow the child no matter what."

We do have a 30 minute rehearsal right before the concert.

Originally Posted by fatar760
A few thoughts:

- try to arrange a rehearsal before

- perform the piece to someone today so that you have some performance experience of it

- try to learn the piece from memory so that your eyes don't take over tomorrow.

- keep listening during the performance and adjust to how the soloist performs

- remember that, despite your own adrenalin rush of how unfamiliar the situation is, that the focus should all be on the soloist.

- breathe and stay hydrated.

- enjoy it! How lovely to be playing with someone and, presumably, in front of people again.

I will try preforming for my husband tonight--I don't know how much of a performance that will feel like but it will have to do.

I can't memorize the pieces in so little time--there are seven of them. But I will practice them as much as time allows. I am a very good reader and I don't need to look at my hands much so I think this should be fine.

I will definitely keep in mind that it is all about the soloist--I am hoping that helps with any performance anxiety I might experience.

Breathe and stay hydrated is very good advice. It is supposed to be 35C (95F) tomorrow and we have no air conditioning, this is possibly my biggest worry.

I am definitely excited to get to perform for an audience again, which I have not done since I was a teenager, but used to really enjoy. Because of Covid restrictions we are limited to 15 people total, seven kids, one parent each, and the teacher. I think the small size will be a nice entry point for performing again.

Thank you both for your advice, it was very helpful.

12 years of lessons as a child -- a 23 year break shocked -- back at it since 2020
Yamaha U3H
F
F
I will try preforming for my husband tonight--I don't know how much of a performance that will feel like but it will have to do.

I can't memorize the pieces in so little time--there are seven of them. But I will practice them as much as time allows. I am a very good reader and I don't need to look at my hands much so I think this should be fine.

I will definitely keep in mind that it is all about the soloist--I am hoping that helps with any performance anxiety I might experience.

Breathe and stay hydrated is very good advice. It is supposed to be 35C (95F) tomorrow and we have no air conditioning, this is possibly my biggest worry.

I am definitely excited to get to perform for an audience again, which I have not done since I was a teenager, but used to really enjoy. Because of Covid restrictions we are limited to 15 people total, seven kids, one parent each, and the teacher. I think the small size will be a nice entry point for performing again.

Thank you both for your advice, it was very helpful

You're welcome, and sorry I didn't realise it was more than once piece!

You'll be absolutely fine and that sounds like a very supportive audience to be playing in front of. Do let us know how it goes smile

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
.nausicaa OP. (elementary version)
by WarDesu - 07/23/21 07:09 PM
Selling the sizzle if not the steak
by cfhosford - 07/23/21 06:25 PM
For the Experts
by Epee - 07/23/21 12:43 PM
Another question about piano positioning
by Cassia - 07/23/21 12:16 PM
1992 Yamaha C3 vs new CX2
by MusterMark - 07/23/21 10:19 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics208,177
Posts3,115,853
Members102,217
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission