2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
54 members (Augustina, APianistHasNoName, accordeur, Bostonmoores, c++, anotherscott, 36251, 8 invisible), 1,439 guests, and 747 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
OP Offline
O
Hi All,

Would you rather have a GX-1 or a GL-30 with a silent piano system (AnyTime)?

I'm close to purchasing a new Kawai grand and am interested in your thoughts on my options. The shop has a "new" GX-1 that has been rented several times only and has had the price drop to ~$20,000 (actually the same as a new GL-30 at the same store). However, there is also a new GL-30 with a silent system (AnyTime) that is around $24,000, maybe a bit higher.

My home has a very open floor plan (you can hear everything) and I will likely have kids practicing frequently within a year or two (not to mention myself playing after the kids are in bed)--so the silent system seems like an incredibly valuable thing to have. (That's not to say that I'd encourage them to always use the headphones when practicing--only when a sibling is sleeping, someone's talking on the phone, a movie is being watched, etc.).

On the other hand, it would be fantastic to get the higher quality of the GX-1 with the tapered soundboard, better joining, rim upgrade, etc. They don't have a GX-1 with a silent system and likely won't get one in for quite some time at the rate shipping orders have been coming through.

I know it's hard to compare the GL/GX quality difference with the value of the silent system, but what do you think? Budget isn't a huge issue here (i.e., I'm less concerned about the price difference than the difference in experience). Do you think the silent system is worth foregoing the quality difference between GL-30 and GX-1?

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I'd compare the specific GL-30 and GX-1 they have on the floor to see if you have a preference in touch, tone, or appearance between the two (and definitely not based on the "spec sheet"). Usually the more expensive piano is better, but not always.

Another alternative is to get a traditional grand piano and then invest $1,000-1,500 into a "slab" digital for silent practice. This may be a more economical option than a silent system, if you had the room. Sure, it doesn't look as nice, but when that technology becomes obsolete, just slap down another $1,000-1,500, seven to ten years from now and get new digital gear, and you still come out ahead in terms of $$. Another possible benefit is the ability to have the digital piano set up in a different room, or the placement of both keyboards in the same room for duo-piano or concerto work.

My upright piano is for sale!
Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
I agree with what terminaldegree wrote. However, it's hard to play duo-piano or concerto work with one acoustic and one digital in the same room since each piano has its own "tuning curve" (mentioned by my tuner). It's hard to tune the acoustic to be exactly the same as the digital.

Piano: 1982 NY Steinway Model B, Yamaha AvantGrand N3X
VST(preference in order): VSL Synchron Pianos, Vienna Imperial, Garritan CFX, VI Labs Modern U, Ivory II American Concert D, Pianoteq
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
An orchestra does not have the same "tuning curve" as a piano, nor do singers or other instruments. Somehow they manage.

Semipro Tech
Ubu Offline
I even would choose the gx1 without silent over another gx1 with it, even if they had same price. I don't want that silent machinery messing around inside the piano.

Independent digital piano for silent practice is far better choice for me.

On the other side i know some piano major students using at home kawai silent system and they're happy.

So it is not foolish to get de silent piano, but i think the non silent choice is better.

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
FWIW, With that budget you might make a package offer to the dealer. The GX1 AND a new NV5S. The NV will look good, especially for a digital piano, and both play and sound great.

Kawai NV10
O
OP Offline
O
Thanks all. I have wondered what implications a silent system has for the maintenance and durability of the acoustic components. Since the silent systems haven't been around for long enough, this would seem an open question?

P
P
Originally Posted by OdinFolk
Thanks all. I have wondered what implications a silent system has for the maintenance and durability of the acoustic components. Since the silent systems haven't been around for long enough, this would seem an open question?

No implications for durability I believe. The silent system is independent of the acoustic part (the sensors are optical) except that in silent mode the hammers are stopped by a bar just before they would hit the string. That has impact of course, but that it also the case if the hammer hits the string.

Silent systems have been around for more than half a century so there has been a lot of time for experience and technical development.

Since a bit more that a year I have a silent Kawai upright (K300 ATX3) and am very happy with it. I really like the fact that I don't need two separate pianos, a digital and acoustic, and that I can practice digitally on the same high quality action that I play acoustically. I had a mid-tier digital before (Kawai CA-58) and would not want to spend serious practice time on that while having a K300 with much nicer action and looks standing next to it.

They are both good pianos in different ways.The GX1 for a really high quality Kawai grand.The GL3 (apart from the silent function) for the extra size.So it comes down to personal choice, creativity and what what will be most useful to you in your home.

I like many here use my digital piano, for my occasional need for silent practice, so it's difficult to advise you.

My piano is my friend and my voice to the great unknown out there.One never ignores a friend.
O
OP Offline
O
Originally Posted by tre corda
They are both good pianos in different ways.The GX1 for a really high quality Kawai grand.The GL3 (apart from the silent function) for the extra size.

They are both the same size actually, so this is really just a difference in quality vs. silent system. But I get your overall point.

Originally Posted by pianogabe
No implications for durability I believe. The silent system is independent of the acoustic part (the sensors are optical) except that in silent mode the hammers are stopped by a bar just before they would hit the string. That has impact of course, but that it also the case if the hammer hits the string.

That makes a lot of sense. I suppose if the impact on the bar is different in anyway, then that could suggest some difference in effect. Although, I'm sure Kawai (and Yamaha) have already thoroughly considered such things.

In the end, the dealer actually doesn't have the GL30 in just yet, and will let me trade in the GX-1 for it if I want to later on (minus or plus any price difference). That may be what I do--in the meantime, I'll see how much I really need the silent system!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The new GL-30 Aures is a very nice instrument - we have been testing a few at Kawai America and the new action design for the silent system is great! Unlike most 'silent' style pianos it really does play the same as the normal GL-30, no regulation compromise caused by the silencing mechanism.

My opinion is that when the piano comes in, ask your dealer to try them both after tuning. Listen to the sound, feel the actions, and think about whether there are differences that will matter to you over the years. The GX action is nicer than the GL, but it is a little subtle for some people to notice.

There are cosmetic differences also, and for some people's homes this is important. Maybe just having a grand piano is all that matters - but the appearance of the GX pianos is quite nice in many ways. So for some people that can be an important factor.

Enjoy!

Don Mannino, MPA
Kawai America
D
D
Originally Posted by KawaiDon
The new GL-30 Aures is a very nice instrument - we have been testing a few at Kawai America

I can’t see any information on the Kawai websites for Aures grands, which models are they adding the Aures features to ?

B
B
The new GL-30 Aures is a very nice instrument - we have been testing a few at Kawai America and the new action design for the silent system is great! Unlike most 'silent' style pianos it really does play the same as the normal GL-30, no regulation compromise caused by the silencing mechanism.

My opinion is that when the piano comes in, ask your dealer to try them both after tuning. Listen to the sound, feel the actions, and think about whether there are differences that will matter to you over the years. The GX action is nicer than the GL, but it is a little subtle for some people to notice.

There are cosmetic differences also, and for some people's homes this is important. Maybe just having a grand piano is all that matters - but the appearance of the GX pianos is quite nice in many ways. So for some people that can be an important factor.

Enjoy!

Very interesting. I currently are renting a K200 atx3 and thinking about upgrading to a baby grand but are looking at Yamaha because of the quick release system they have that makes it so the stop rail doesn’t impact the distance of the hammer from the strings.

Does Kawai also have this in the GL series atx models? Is so a whole new world of options opens up laugh

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Boboulus,

The Yamaha setup is nice because it allows their pianos to keep a close hammer letoff regulation in acoustic mode, but has the drawback of feeling quite strange when playing it in silent mode. Because the letoff takes place MUCH earlier than normal in silent / electronic mode, it feels quite different than when playing it as a normal piano.

The new Kawai system is a revised hammer stop system that allows the system to stop the hammers very close to the strings (normal acoustic piano letoff distance) without affecting the letoff at all. It plays exactly the same in acoustic or 'silent' mode.

The GL-30 Aures will be available soon - only the first samples are arriving now, likely will be available in September.

Don Mannino, MPA
Kawai America
B
B
Thank you so much KawaiDon this sounds very promising!! Will this new silent system be available in all GL series as ATX to or only GL-30 Aures? And will it also show up in GX1 perhaps?

This made me super excited. Also a bit tummes out about the Yamaha quick release because I didn’t know it has an effect on the silent mode. But hope to try it all out soon ☺️

/Bobo

B
B
@kawaidon what makes me super curious is the placement of the controls. Is it a touch screen like on the NV10 next to the keyboard or is is hidden under that you slide out like the current atx2?

And how much noise does the hammer makes in silent mode? I have tried a GL-10 ATX2 and it was very loud compared the my K200 ATX3 from what I heard.

Last edited by Boboulus; 06/17/21 03:53 AM.
D
D
The Yamaha setup is nice because it allows their pianos to keep a close hammer letoff regulation in acoustic mode, but has the drawback of feeling quite strange when playing it in silent mode. Because the letoff takes place MUCH earlier than normal in silent / electronic mode, it feels quite different than when playing it as a normal piano.

That's strange because pretty much every other word written about Yamaha's silent system on their Grands (albeit not written by Kawai employees) says most people struggle to detect any difference. The same isn't true for their silent uprights.

I'm not precious about brands and if Kawai add it to their GX-2 or 3 I'd be very interested in it along with the C2X/3X Transacoustics come purchase time, but I hope Kawai haven't put the touch screen where it is on the K300 Aures but instead kept it out of the way so that when it inevitably breaks you've still got a regular looking grand.

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Ten greatest Chopin works
by pianoloverus - 07/24/21 08:34 PM
KORG DS-1H pedal issues with Korg D1
by Mta88 - 07/24/21 04:28 PM
What is this musical symbol?
by pianoloverus - 07/24/21 02:55 PM
I Want To Be Happy
by Simon_b - 07/24/21 02:20 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics208,192
Posts3,116,054
Members102,225
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission