2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
46 members (1957, ambrozy, Bostonmoores, danno858, D959, 15 invisible), 1,375 guests, and 524 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Hi All,

I figured I would share the news here - it's with a heavy heart that I announce David passed away last night after a battle with cancer. I don't know too many details as this information was passed on to me by another piano technician. I first met him when my company purchased David Abell Fine pianos in 1999 and worked with him continually through the years.

His website for those not entirely familiar with him or his work. https://davidandersenpianos.com/

Jeff Bauer | Keyboard Concepts

Yamaha | Schimmel | Bösendorfer | Knabe | Restored Steinway

My soundcloud page

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content

6000 Post Club Member
I'm sorry to hear this. I'd seen recently on Facebook that he wasn't doing well.

I enjoyed meeting him a couple years ago at the PTG convention, and attending his session.

My condolences to his family and friends.

How to Upload Pictures
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
Originally Posted by Jeff Bauer
Hi All,

I figured I would share the news here - it's with a heavy heart that I announce David passed away last night after a battle with cancer. I don't know too many details as this information was passed on to me by another piano technician. I first met him when my company purchased David Abell Fine pianos in 1999 and worked with him continually through the years.

His website for those not entirely familiar with him or his work. https://davidandersenpianos.com/

Thank you Jeff for posting this. We have lost a mentor and a friend. David was in hospice for the cancer he has been fighting for some time now. This was in addition to the pain that he was in constantly from arthritis.

If you would like a glimpse into the power that David had to remain positive, check out this interview I did with him a few years back. I may have shared this here before, but if you have not seen it, check it out. The man was, and remains, a superstar.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
This is sad news.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
My deepest sympathies to his family and friends. I enjoyed getting to chat with him for a while, about a year ago over the internet, but never had the pleasure of hanging out in person. Would love to hear some stories from those of you who have.

My upright piano is for sale!
Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rich Galassini
Originally Posted by Jeff Bauer
Hi All,

Thank you Jeff for posting this. We have lost a mentor and a friend. David was in hospice for the cancer he has been fighting for some time now. This was in addition to the pain that he was in constantly from arthritis.

If you would like a glimpse into the power that David had to remain positive, check out this interview I did with him a few years back. I may have shared this here before, but if you have not seen it, check it out. The man was, and remains, a superstar.

Thanks for sharing this Rich. Dave was always excellent and telling stories and explaining things.

Jeff Bauer | Keyboard Concepts

Yamaha | Schimmel | Bösendorfer | Knabe | Restored Steinway

My soundcloud page
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
I'm really saddened to hear the news. Aside from the RA, I didn't know he had Cancer.

It had been a long time since I'd seen him and we last spoke on the phone.

He worked on my C7 when we were in Sherman Oaks and then my S6 when we moved over to Glendale in '97.

I called him about working on my D in 2006 when I got it but he was very busy at the time, tuning and rebuilding. Plus he was on the West side, a distance from Glendale.

I believe it was David, or Richard Davenport, who first recommended Allan Cate, my long time tech.

David was highly influenced, as were many others of my generation, by Richard Davenport. He brought a very high level of quality and integrity to all of his work, a true Artisan, in every sense of the word.

I'm so sorry.

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

2005 NY Steinway D
Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, CP4

J
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
J
My condolences to all who knew and loved him.

I'd never met him in person but from what I've heard of his work, it was awe inspiring. It reminds me of the saying "when a child is born, a page is turned, and when a man dies, a library burns". Although a person is much more than the sum of their knowledge, I think this saying is apt here. May he Rest in Peace.

YAMAHA Artist
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
I am saddened by this news. My sincere condolences to David's family and close friends. He worked on my MH a couple of years ago and shared delightful insight with me on his use of the open unison tuning method. I learned quite a bit. A nice man, skilled artisan and wonderful human being. RIP David.

Shigeru Kawai SK-7
Mason and Hamlin BB
D
D
I just learned about David. I’m sad about it. He’s been servicing and tuning my old A1 this past decade. He’d leave it sounding rich.

He was very welcoming to me at his atelier, discussing potential paths for it. He was transcendental.

Last edited by Piano World; 07/15/21 09:48 AM. Reason: Small edit at OP request
So sorry to hear this news. My condolences to his family and friends.

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
C
C
I haven't been online much lately. Today my piano technician came to tune my piano and shared the news about David. I am heartbroken.

I first heard about David when looking to purchase a piano a few years ago. I reached out to Rich Galassini to find out if David Andersen Pianos was a reputable business. Rich gave his stamp of approval and forwarded the interview with David that is posted up above.

In March of 2019 I was in Los Angeles for a business trip and met up with David to try out a few different pianos that he had worked on. He drove me in his car to somewhere about 45 minutes from his house. I'm not familiar with the area so I don't remember the exact name of the town. We looked at a couple of pianos there and then drove back to Pacific Palisades to look at another piano, but it had just been sold. After that we went back to his house where he introduced me to his wife, and gave me a tour of his backyard and garage.

What I can tell you is I felt a spiritual connection to this man. He had such a warm and loving spirit about him. We had never met before and after just spending a couple of hours with him I felt like I had made a friend for life. He encouraged me. He made me feel good about my piano playing skills (which aren't that good!) and he just had the most positive outlook on life. David was a winner and he lifted up the people around him.

I'm sad that the world is no longer graced with the presence of David Andersen, but fortunate that I was able to meet him. Ultimately I purchased two Steinway pianos from him, one of them a 1914 Steinway B was sight-unseen - and its perfect!

There was a thread here on PianoWorld last year inquiring if David was ok. I sent him a text on October 24th and he responded on November 10, 2020:

"Sorry there's been such a delay, my brother... Thank you so much for your good wishes. I am happy to announce that, as of last Friday, I am cancer free. No more chemotherapy, just some light injections for the next 10 or 12 weeks. Holding me in your prayers obviously helped, so thank you so much."

That was my last correspondence with him. I looked for an obituary online but couldn't find one. If anyone has it could you please post the link?

My heartfelt condolences go out to his family and to anyone who knew him. The world lost a good man.

6000 Post Club Member
Online Content

6000 Post Club Member
I looked for an obituary online but couldn't find one. If anyone has it could you please post the link?

There's a memorial post on his website's blog:

https://davidandersenpianos.com/david-andersen-in-memoriam/

And there's a very concise "obituary" listing here for a David Swarr Andersen (there's so little detail that it's difficult to know if it's the right one, but the name and apparent age seem to match, and the date of death and metro area do match):

https://obituaries.neptunesociety.com/obituaries/san-pedro-ca/david-andersen-10236537

How to Upload Pictures
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

Founder - Owner - Host
6000 Post Club Member
Founder - Owner - Host
6000 Post Club Member
Sorry to hear this, he was well known and respected in the industry.

- Frank B.
Founder / Owner / Host
PianoWorld.com
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maple Street Music Shop
Find Us On:
Facebook.com/PianoWorldDotCom
www.youtube.com/PianoWorldDotCom
www.linkedin.com/in/pianoworld
My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Yamaha P-80, Hammond D100 (think B3 in a cabinet) & Leslie HL722, Harpsichord (kit), Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, 2 - Antique Pump Organs & others
-------------------------
It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!
Please invite every piano enthusiast you know to join our piano forums!

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Everett upright Regulation
by wenhen90 - 07/31/21 06:57 PM
Marx
by dolce sfogato - 07/31/21 04:05 PM
Self-teaching and looking for good exercises
by TORaptors2019 - 07/31/21 03:46 PM
ES110 Static/Buzzing on Certain Keys?
by mikechang503 - 07/31/21 02:40 PM
Music's greatest teacher
by pianoloverus - 07/31/21 02:22 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics208,310
Posts3,117,981
Members102,295
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission