2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
48 members (AprilE, 1957, ambrozy, Bostonmoores, danno858, 17 invisible), 1,395 guests, and 530 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
OP Offline
A
https://pianoauctions.co.uk/29th-june-2021-catalogue/lot-105-bsendorfer-c1924

6 foot 7 built in 1924 with an estimate of £4-6k. I wonder what had happened to this piano for it to be valued so low. No pictures. I've half tempted to make this my project piano. Even if you didn't like it when it was rebuilt I suspect you wouldn't lose any money on it. Be interested to see how much it goes for.

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Is that low for a 100-year-old piano? I shall be going to view on the Sunday. I'll take a look.

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content

6000 Post Club Member
The listing says "photographs, videos & condition report are available on request."

How to Upload Pictures
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
That doesn't seem all that low of a price for a piano that's 97 years old, if in mostly original condition or in need of more comprehensive restoration/rebuilding.

My upright piano is for sale!
Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
J
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Aritempor

6 foot 7 built in 1924 with an estimate of £4-6k. I wonder what had happened to this piano for it to be valued so low. No pictures. I've half tempted to make this my project piano. Even if you didn't like it when it was rebuilt I suspect you wouldn't lose any money on it. Be interested to see how much it goes for.

It might seem low when you consider the price of a new Bösendorfer 200 is £94,000, but this is a piano which has had its life. This piano might be structurally in good condition, but a piano of that age will almost certainly need a new pin block, new bridge caps, and new strings. It will probably need some major work done on the soundboard, or it may indeed require a new soundboard. If the keyboard is in good condition then it can be saved but the reality is that even restoring an original keyboard is a very expensive job. It will almost certainly require a new action if you want mechanical reliability (consistent touch and good response).

The work required to bring the piano into a condition indistinguishable from new could be as much as £40,000, and if you've already paid £6,000 for the piano, it starts to look less like a bargain. I do realise that for those who want a Bösendorfer in as-new condition, buying one this age and having it fully rebuild is a good road to take if you know your rebuilder well, or if you decide to send it back to the Bösendorfer factory which is also an option.

If this piano was a Bechstein or a Blüthner, neither of which are regarded with quite the same status as Bösendorfer or Steinway, you'd find the value of the piano was much lower, probably £800 - £2000. I don't know why that's the case but I suspect it more realistically reflects the value of a 100-year-old piano that requires work.

YAMAHA Artist
M
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
M
After you've spent £40,000 on restoration, that difference is more of a rounding error than anything else. But hierarchies must be preserved.

Last edited by Maestro Lennie; 06/16/21 07:11 PM.
J
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
J
Right

YAMAHA Artist
J
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
J
Don’t get me wrong though, old unrestored pianos can sound charming in their own right without restoration, but it’s hit or miss.

YAMAHA Artist
A
OP Offline
A
Pics now up here

They have another 200 on auction as well with a guide price of £35-40k that was built in 2009

https://pianoauctions.co.uk/29th-june-2021-catalogue/lot-75-bosendorfer-c2009

Interesting to see the pics as the innards look the same to my untrained eyes aside from the sostenuto pedal.

If the case was a bit more ornate, I would be seriously tempted smile!

D
D
Interesting to see the pics as the innards look the same to my untrained eyes aside from the sostenuto pedal.

The pictures show only wear and tear on the surfaces, which don't tell much other than age which you new already, but....

1) the black finishing on the old one appears to be so-so preserved lacquer, vs the new being high polish poly

2) the tuning pins (as well as the hardware) of the old one is well tarnished

3) the soundboard also appear to be a bit aged

These are BIG clues that the two instruments are quite not the same.

What it matter most, you don't see: how good/bad are the strings? the hammers? the felt in the dampers? the action? Heck, you don't even see a picture of the latter! Does it hold a tune? Does it have serious cracks in the bridges? It does not appear to have serious cracks in the soundboard, but is it so, or just carefully chosen shooting point and light for the picture? Does it have reasonable crown left in the soundboard?

As others said, it depends on your goals. If you want a total rebuild, you care ONLY about structural soundness: how are the rims and the posts underneath? Does the plate have any crack? If you want to do a partial rebuild or just use it as is you care about these two AND all the questions I mentioned above AND several others.

If you could try it in person, better yet with a good technician, it may be a good price. In the USA it is not uncommon to have people hoping that you will PAY them to haul away what basically is a their heavy piece of trash (not say that's the case here, but you have to be aware that it's POSSIBLE and you have to do your homework to know exactly what you are getting into)

Best of luck!

Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
....Interesting to see the pics as the innards look the same to my untrained eyes aside from the sostenuto pedal.

Interesting stuff here - the model 200 is Bösendorfer's oldest model still available today. Yes, there have been regular tweaks of the design over the years, but the character of this older 200 would be similar to a new one made today. This model was one of the most popular chamber music instruments at that time - a piano trio, piano as accompaniment, etc. is what this piano was designed for.

My 2 cents,

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Those tiny casters on that big Bosie make me nervous....

ETA: I'm talking about the 1924 piano of course, compare those casters to the "we mean business" ones that are on the 2009 model!!

Last edited by ShiroKuro; 06/25/21 06:19 PM.

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Oh my, it's sooo fun to look through all the catalogues!!

Check out this amazing case on an 1882 S&S upright:

[Linked Image]
More info: https://pianoauctions.co.uk/29th-june-2021-catalogue/lot-5-steinway-c1882

Or this one, a model I've never heard of:
[Linked Image]
More info: https://pianoauctions.co.uk/29th-june-2021-catalogue/lot-26-brinsmead-c1855

Then, if you like green:
[Linked Image]
More info: https://pianoauctions.co.uk/29th-june-2021-catalogue/lot-58-b-squire

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

6000 Post Club Member
Online Content

6000 Post Club Member
Cool stuff!

How to Upload Pictures
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by Rich Galassini
....Interesting to see the pics as the innards look the same to my untrained eyes aside from the sostenuto pedal.

Interesting stuff here - the model 200 is Bösendorfer's oldest model still available today. Yes, there have been regular tweaks of the design over the years, but the character of this older 200 would be similar to a new one made today. This model was one of the most popular chamber music instruments at that time - a piano trio, piano as accompaniment, etc. is what this piano was designed for.

My 2 cents,

I didn't know that about the 200 but it bears out in the pics. The iron frame looks the same and the scale design looks unchanged. About the only thing I could easily see had changed was the dacapo bar in the treble in place of agraffes in the newer model. I wonder why they did that.

A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
Those tiny casters on that big Bosie make me nervous....

ETA: I'm talking about the 1924 piano of course, compare those casters to the "we mean business" ones that are on the 2009 model!!

The smaller casters aren't really that bad? It's only a 200. I see makers today even using the same small casters. The B is longer than the 200 and the pics in the link below show small castors too

https://steinway.co.uk/pianos/model-b/

A
OP Offline
A

Check out this amazing case on an 1882 S&S upright:

[Linked Image]
More info: https://pianoauctions.co.uk/29th-june-2021-catalogue/lot-5-steinway-c1882

A little too ornate though beauty is in the eye of the beholder smile.

https://pianoauctions.co.uk/27th-april-2021-catalogue/lot-105-bechstein-c1897

That one was in the last auction and I went as far as registering as a bidder but didn't bid on the day because I decided that I'd be better off rebuilding a grand rather than an upright but also because my little girl looked at the pictures and asked why someone had seen fit to build a piano into a coffin :P. Kinda put me off lol.

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
The 1924 Bösendorfer carried this vendor inscription:

[Linked Image]

I have seen this inscription before, but not really understood it. It is well known that the Wigmore Hall in London opened as Bechstein Hall, part of the Bechstein showrooms complex. In WW1 due to anti-German feeling, the Bechstein property was seized - after the war it was acquired by the department store Debenhams (across the road) and the hall reopened as Wigmore Hall. What I had not realised was that the showrooms also reopened, and that the whole complex was then known as "the Wigmore Hall and Piano Galleries Ltd".

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D

Even more fun to attend the viewing of the sale! I spent a happy morning there this morning. A propos "I can quit at any time I want to", I found myself tempted by one of the items...

A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by David-G
Even more fun to attend the viewing of the sale! I spent a happy morning there this morning. A propos "I can quit at any time I want to", I found myself tempted by one of the items...

Well I wish you luck if you're going to bite the bullet and bid. I'll probably find my way to the next few viewings potentially (once I have sorted out younger son's secondary school as all my free time is being sucked up preparing for grammar/private school exams). If you haven't bought a piano or indeed are shopping for a second one that maybe see you there and share a coffee over a crazy passion?! smile.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Everett upright Regulation
by wenhen90 - 07/31/21 06:57 PM
Marx
by dolce sfogato - 07/31/21 04:05 PM
Self-teaching and looking for good exercises
by TORaptors2019 - 07/31/21 03:46 PM
ES110 Static/Buzzing on Certain Keys?
by mikechang503 - 07/31/21 02:40 PM
Music's greatest teacher
by pianoloverus - 07/31/21 02:22 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics208,310
Posts3,117,981
Members102,295
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission