2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
46 members (1957, ambrozy, Bostonmoores, danno858, D959, Bruce In Philly, 15 invisible), 1,373 guests, and 510 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3128449 06/16/21 02:24 PM
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
I have very large hands. I can easily play chords spanning a 10th even with a thick texture. In a way it's handy (no pun intended) but it also causes problems in cramped positions, especially between black keys. Playing G or A between the black notes is hard for me, especially going legato from an adjacent black note. I have to twist my hand so the fingers play at an angle or else my fat fingers will cause the adjacent keys to go down.

Incidentally, I don't have that problem with D; it seems the space between the two black notes is minimally larger than between the three black notes.

I was hoping there would be videos with advice on how to deal with this but I haven't found much. There are a lot of videos with advice for small hands but there is little for large-handed people. If anyone has come across anything please post.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
T
T
Things like these are best addressed with a teacher I reckon.
Since the pandemic there are now more and more teachers available through online lessons, at least here in the US.
The investment into such guidance will pay off I'm sure...
Good luck!

[Kawai VPC1 / ES100 - VSTs: VSL 280VC, Garritan CFX, Pianoteq 7 Standard & VI Labs Ravenscroft 275 - Ableton Live - Presonus iOne / iTwo - Sennheiser HD700/6xx - Presonus E5+T10, iloud micro monitors]
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Here is Shirley Kirsten

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Thanks, yes that's the only video I found, but it only addresses melodic single note passages. I think the bigger problem is legato thirds or more generally legato chord playing between black notes.

Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Qazsedcft
Thanks, yes that's the only video I found, but it only addresses melodic single note passages. I think the bigger problem is legato thirds or more generally legato chord playing between black notes.

Shirley is a member here. You might send her an email asking for advice.
This was also the only thing I found

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dogperson
Here is Shirley Kirsten...
Wow! That's an incredible difference in hand size!

Her student, while playing the scale, moves further out from the fallboard when playing between the black keys, which seems to work. I wonder if he is able to translate that to playing real pieces. It could lead to a lot of extra hand/arm movement, which would be okay if it became habit and the movements were minimal.

I don't know which I'd chose (if I had to), very large hands where playing between black keys is an issue, or small hands where span is an issue.

Last edited by Stubbie; 06/16/21 03:47 PM.

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

Originally Posted by Stubbie
I don't know which I'd chose (if I had to), very large hands where playing between black keys is an issue, or small hands where span is an issue.

As a guy, I'd have to say that choice would be easy.

Casio PX-S3000
Nope, no issues with it at all.
Took lessons from 1960 to 1969, stopped at age 16.
Started again in July 2020 at age 67. Lots more fun now!
Incidentally, I don't have that problem with D; it seems the space between the two black notes is minimally larger than between the three black notes.
The gap between C# and D# is indeed a tiny bit larger than between the other 3 black keys. And it makes kind of sense as the triple of black keys is more crammed into this space. (Until your post I wasn't aware of that, I thought the gaps between ALL black keys would be the same, haha).

My hands are not that big, I can reach a 10th only at the frontside, but not from top. And still I have a similar problem: When I play the sequence Db-D-E-E# (2 3 4 5), it sounds muddy because my E press won't let my D go up again. Four fingers in this small room is too much.
I solved that by using the same finger for Db and D, by sliding from the black key down to the white one. (fingering: 2 2 3 4) I know this is not exactly the gold-standard of fingering, but it seems to work for me.

Btw: If I would have designed a piano keyboard, I would have made the black keys more narrow and longer towards the front than they are now. But piano building has a long history and the manufactures (especially Steinway) improved a lot to get to the point where we are today. I guess they tried everything before.

Adult Beginner, Kawai CN29, Sennheiser HD560s
B
B
Ultimately we all have to do what works for us, fingering wise. I know I am doing a lot of refingering to avoid too many "thumb under" in my left hand due to arthritis. I do a huge inward wrist rotation with elbow well out, probably ungainly but who's looking? I find some books where there is fingering intended to be helpful for beginners/intermediates the fingering is just plain whacky and I sit and refinger to what feels right and intuitive for me. If I keep making mistakes I always look at fingering first. And it has to feel compatible between both hands for me.

"Study Bach: there you will find everything" - Johannes Brahms.
I have very large hands. I can easily play chords spanning a 10th even with a thick texture. In a way it's handy (no pun intended) but it also causes problems in cramped positions, especially between black keys. Playing G or A between the black notes is hard for me, especially going legato from an adjacent black note. I have to twist my hand so the fingers play at an angle or else my fat fingers will cause the adjacent keys to go down.

I was hoping there would be videos with advice on how to deal with this but I haven't found much. There are a lot of videos with advice for small hands but there is little for large-handed people. If anyone has come across anything please post.
Do you have this problem on acoustic pianos as well as digitals?

"Motivation is simple, you eliminate anyone who isn't motivated." - Lou Holtz.
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by tbonesays
Yes. My main practice piano is an accoustic grand but I also have a digital. Digitals usually have a lighter action and shorter keys where the problem becomes even more evident.

I
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I
When I need to play chord notes between black keys I adduct the wrist a little bit, and if the chord is not wide I may combine a little bit of adduction with a tiny bit of outward forearm rotation. It happens totally automatically and never caused me any problems.

Concerning the legato chord between black keys try making pulling motion of the finger instead of pushing motion.

I
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I
Originally Posted by dogperson
Here is Shirley Kirsten

It is a very bad technique demonstrated at 1:10-1:35 of this video. No elbow wriggling is necessary. And just a very minimum wrist abduction/adduction. What is needed is just moving of the whole arm forward to the lid and then backward, while fingers stay as parallel to the keys as reasonably possible.

Originally Posted by Wie Waldi
My hands are not that big, I can reach a 10th only at the frontside, but not from top. And still I have a similar problem: When I play the sequence Db-D-E-E# (2 3 4 5), it sounds muddy because my E press won't let my D go up again. Four fingers in this small room is too much.
I solved that by using the same finger for Db and D, by sliding from the black key down to the white one. (fingering: 2 2 3 4) I know this is not exactly the gold-standard of fingering, but it seems to work for me.
Why on Earth are you playing Db-D-E-E# (2 3 4 5) between the black keys? It's extremely easy to play it on wide surfaces of white keys. You just need to flatten your second finger, play Db on the very end of the key and make a little motion of the arm towards your torso when transferring weight from Db to D. Fingers 3 4 5 then play normally on the wide surfaces of the white keys. No problem! smile

Originally Posted by tbonesays
Yes. My main practice piano is an accoustic grand but I also have a digital. Digitals usually have a lighter action and shorter keys where the problem becomes even more evident.

Well I have fat finger syndrome but never has it been a problem on an acoustic, even finger 3 into the A key.

If wrist rotation isn't feasible, maybe file down the black keys?

"Motivation is simple, you eliminate anyone who isn't motivated." - Lou Holtz.
I
Ido Offline
I
My 2 cents - loose fingers can help with that, as they are less likely to knock down unwanted keys even if they touch them. Make sure to keep the tension in them to the minimum required. Hope it helps.

Started playing piano in early 2017. My YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNyp3JmDfITneq2uSgyb-5Q/videos
J
J
I have very large hands
You and me both, and some days it really, really sucks having hands this big laugh
For playing in-between black notes, learn to slide your fingers.
Meaning initially press the key toward the front and slide it in, as opposed to inserting your fingers in-between the notes.
You need to be able to play all keys almost anywhere on the key.
This is not always relevant / possible but in many cases it is and works - but it is a skill that needs to be learnt. Especially if you have learnt the bad habit of playing flat fingered i.e. not keeping your fingers slightly bent...this is going to be a challenge to learn. But it will be worth it.
Hope that helps.

PS: I forgot about this one. Practice with your elbows away from your body. Then play with your elbows really far away from your body. Think letting your armpits breathe. Then practice with your arms close to your body. Then real close. You'll be amazed how much this influences your hands / fingers and how you play. Find where you have the best results. In fact you might find that different arm positions at different times give you new tools

Last edited by JohnnyIssieBangie; 06/30/21 02:37 AM.
D
D

large hands or fingers will cause problems when playing in between black keys this is normal , you have discovered you can twist your fingers to fit and this is not ideal but works, there are some options one twist your finger in to fit or if its a chord or interval try it in another inversion some times works for me, sometimes for individual notes i try to avid going in between if possible or if i have to trying staying close to the end or the tips of the black keys as possible in order not to have to put your other finger in between or not as much . ultimately your the one that has to find what works for you but remember you have a big advantage in other areas of playing that will surly make up for this .

Last edited by Dazzie2; 06/30/21 06:32 AM.
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Same here.

>Here is Shirley Kirsten

That rotation of the wrist might work in slow passages but that amount of wrist rotation seems a way to RSI. I would do it differently.

Rotating the wrist like that is never going to work at speed. So you need a different solution for faster passages.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Everett upright Regulation
by wenhen90 - 07/31/21 06:57 PM
Marx
by dolce sfogato - 07/31/21 04:05 PM
Self-teaching and looking for good exercises
by TORaptors2019 - 07/31/21 03:46 PM
ES110 Static/Buzzing on Certain Keys?
by mikechang503 - 07/31/21 02:40 PM
Music's greatest teacher
by pianoloverus - 07/31/21 02:22 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics208,310
Posts3,117,978
Members102,295
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission