2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
46 members (anotherpianoplayer, Bett, Azunyan, AprilE, 14 invisible), 1,380 guests, and 559 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
DFord Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Hi all,

First time poster. What a wicked site!

Here's my scenario and thanks in advance for your input.

My wife didn't like the way I had sheet music spread from one end of our house to the other, so a few years ago I started a process to reduce the clutter:
1. I digitally scanned my entire library of paper sheet music, creating one PDF file for each song.
2. I developed a Microsoft Access database that stores each of the individual files. Songs can be queried by artist, key signature, genre, etc.
3. I mounted a LCD screen to my upright piano's music stand to display the PDFs.
4. I created two additional pedals for the piano that are programed to turn the "pages" of the PDF. One pedal to page forward and one pedal to page backwards.

The system works great on my upright piano, but after 35 years of piano playing, I am finally upgrading to a grand piano (super excited!! grin). I have purchased a Yamaha DGC1 and am currently waiting for delivery. Due to the pandemic, it could take awhile before it's delivered. I don't want a boring computer monitor sitting on top of my new piano so I want to implement Step #5 of my master plan:

5. Use a CNC router to create a custom music stand that will replace the factory-installed music stand on my DGC1. This stand will have an LCD screen embedded into it to display my PDFs. Taking it a step further: Disklavier TV on an integrated screen.

A shiny black piano with a shiny black computer screen; the screen would darn near be invisible when turned off.

So here's my question: would someone that currently owns a Yamaha GC1 be kind enough to provide me with the dimensions of the factory music stand? The width at its widest, its height at its highest, and the thickness of the material? It would be great to work on my music stand while I'm waiting for my piano to get here. I spent about an hour trying to Google this information, but the returns were either related to the dimensions of the piano itself, or dimensions for music stands that were not the same as the GC1. Maybe all Yamaha grands have the exact same music stand dimensions? I would ask the seller of the piano, but he doesn't have one in stock (if he did, he'd be sending me my piano) and I don't feel comfortable reaching out to a different seller when I know they're not going to get a sale out of it (i.e., it wouldn't be fair to the seller).

Thanks again for any information you provide!

DFord

M
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
M
You’re halfway there.

Get an iPad Pro, an Airturn page turner, an Apple Pencil, and forscore. You will like it a lot.

The biggest thing is the scanning, and you have that already.

MH1963

'63 Mason & Hamlin Model A

[Linked Image]
S
S
Wow! Your digital sheet music solution is quite impressive. As MH1963 mentioned, many of us just use a tablet. I’m guessing you have your reasons for pursuing a more creative path.
I don’t have the specs on the Yamaha music desk, but have you reached out to Yamaha directly? Here is a link to their contact info page: https://usa.yamaha.com/support/contacts/index.html .

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
DFord, welcome to PW! And congrats on your incoming piano!

Are you not concerned that once the screen is installed, you won't be able to close the piano lid? Or, would you actually be able to close it fully?

As for the dimensions, I have a Yamaha C2, I can measure it later but I have no idea if the music stands are the same.

Is your piano purchased new or used? If new, have you called the dealer?

BTW, do you have a photo of what you made for your upright you could share with us?

Last edited by ShiroKuro; 06/16/21 01:45 PM.

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
P
P
I used to prop up a large monitor/tablet (Scora Maestro) on the music desk on a C1 but eventually switched to an iPad Pro when they released the larger ones.

I found the portability convenient, although now that ForScore has cloud syncing that could be an option again (iPad and tablet synced).

Your idea to build a custom music desk is pretty cool. Make sure to post pictures once you manage to build it.

C
C
My GC1 2007

width 84 cm
Height 26 cm
Board thickness about 1 cm

D
DFord Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Wow. I wasn't expecting the responses so quickly. You guys rock!

To MH1963 and Sgisela, I didn't want to go with a tablet because I find them to be too small, even the larger ones. My eyesight isn't that great and it's going to get worse with age. There's a big difference between a 10" iPad and my 22" LCD. It's large enough that I can view two standard 8.5x11" pages at the same time, full size. Plus, I already have my database set up, so why pay or learn something new when I already have something that works great (and is more customizable than a commercial setup).

To ShiroKuro, the reason why I want this setup is specifically so that I can close the lid. On my upright, I could close the lid, and my monitor could stay where it was. But on a grand, I can't close the lid without taking the monitor off first....but an LCD screen built right into the stand wouldn't be any different than the stand itself. My piano is 2 years old and has already been moved from the showroom to the warehouse in preparation for shipping. The seller doesn't have another one in stock to measure for me and I didn't think to take the measurements myself before I left. My plan was to reach out to Yamaha for the measurements if the folks on the forum didn't come through for me, but you have! smile

To Player13, I can certainly post photos of the setup once it's done. I have attached a couple photos of a prototype that I made out of some MDF, my current design in SketchUp, and some photos of the pedals I use for turning the pages. The pedals are nothing fancy. I stole them out of an old Roland electric piano and soldered some wires from the pedals' circuit boards to the contacts for the left and right button on a wireless mouse. One pedal is essentially a left-click and the other is a right-click. And because the mouse is wireless, I don't need a cord running from the computer down to the pedals; I just have to plug the mouse's dongle into the computer. A nice black cover over the top to match the piano and it's done.

Chouca, those dimensions are exactly what I was looking for. Thank you very much! And it's a good thing you provided them because apparently my template is too narrow, too tall, and too thick. Can I ask if you're happy with your GC1? Not that I can change my mind at this point anyways. smile

Thanks again to all for your input/information. I'll be sure to post some photos once everything is done.

Here are the photos. Please let me know if the links don't work (I'm still learning how to use Dropbox).

[img]https://www.dropbox.com/s/ygpud8zwf2xxzuy/Photo%202021-06-17%2C%209%2034%2022%20PM.jpg?dl=0[/img]

[img]https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8kwurb8w54hf00/Photo%202021-06-17%2C%2010%2012%2011%20PM.jpg?dl=0[/img]

[img]https://www.dropbox.com/s/t1ey0z2p5n5jifo/Photo%202021-06-17%2C%209%2034%2032%20PM.jpg?dl=0[/img]

[img]https://www.dropbox.com/s/2yiyvef3yzjn32s/Photo%202021-06-17%2C%209%2044%2031%20PM.jpg?dl=0[/img]

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
The only way I can get the images displayed is to copy the link without the [img] and [/img], then paste them into my browser. With the [img] and [/img], the links don't work.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2yiyvef3yzjn32s/Photo%202021-06-17%2C%209%2044%2031%20PM.jpg?dl=0

However, I can't get the image address, which would allow me to paste the images directly into this post.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
C
C
@DFord

I'm very pleased with my Yamaha GC1. Beautiful treble and tenor and a bass that is great for my living room. There is no luck of power, after I did an intonation the piano is on the limit to too loud.

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Everett upright Regulation
by wenhen90 - 07/31/21 06:57 PM
Marx
by dolce sfogato - 07/31/21 04:05 PM
Self-teaching and looking for good exercises
by TORaptors2019 - 07/31/21 03:46 PM
ES110 Static/Buzzing on Certain Keys?
by mikechang503 - 07/31/21 02:40 PM
Music's greatest teacher
by pianoloverus - 07/31/21 02:22 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics208,310
Posts3,117,987
Members102,295
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission