2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
46 members (1957, ambrozy, Bostonmoores, danno858, D959, Bruce In Philly, 15 invisible), 1,373 guests, and 510 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
OP Offline
M
Hello!

I was thinking about getting a 61-key keyboard and hooking it up with Hauptwerk to try out some of the great harpsichord samples out there.

I have been working on about 15 of the sonatas of Antonia Soler, and they're absolutely wonderful, but I do see one problem... Nearly all of Soler's sontas go below the 2nd C below Middle-C. 61-key keyboard end on that C, so it would seem that the Sonatas of Soler are not playable on a 61-key keyboard.

However, there exists a preponderance of great recordings of Soler's works on harpsichord by artists such as Bob van Asperen, and Gilbert Rowland. How are they managing this? If I wanted to play these on a digital harpsichord (with a good keyboard, like the ones on midiworks.ca), what are my best options?

One might be inclined to start an octave higher, but that brings the same problem in the other direction, and would also sound weird.

Thank you in advance for any insight or advice.

M
M
Is there any reason in particular you want a 61 key keyboard? You could get a 88 key keyboard, use the MIDI, send it to a DAW, then through a speaker. You theoretically would have hundreds of Harpsichord/Clavichord/Virginal sounds you could use.

M
OP Offline
M
Thank you for your reply.

I also want to use this as an organ, and was hoping to get keyboard with built-in pistons like the ones at midiworks.ca, which also have a tracker-touch to make the keys a bit more responsive. I also would play to have 2 or 3 manuals, though I wouldn't need 76 keys on all three, maybe just one of them when I'm using the harpsichord sound-set.

Also, I was wondering how the artists I mentioned earlier managed to record these sonatas? Did they use harpsicords with more than 61 keys?

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
The range of period harpsichords was not standard, since they were all hand built. Sometimes they even had short basses (missing some notes in the last octave). My Morley (1969) goes g1 - g6.

What do the people that build Hauptwerk organs use? They must have the same problem.

Sam

S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Mooseknuckle
Hello!

I was thinking about getting a 61-key keyboard and hooking it up with Hauptwerk to try out some of the great harpsichord samples out there.

I have been working on about 15 of the sonatas of Antonia Soler, and they're absolutely wonderful, but I do see one problem... Nearly all of Soler's sontas go below the 2nd C below Middle-C. 61-key keyboard end on that C, so it would seem that the Sonatas of Soler are not playable on a 61-key keyboard.

However, there exists a preponderance of great recordings of Soler's works on harpsichord by artists such as Bob van Asperen, and Gilbert Rowland. How are they managing this? If I wanted to play these on a digital harpsichord (with a good keyboard, like the ones on midiworks.ca), what are my best options?

One might be inclined to start an octave higher, but that brings the same problem in the other direction, and would also sound weird.

Thank you in advance for any insight or advice.

The maximum range of harpsichords in the 18th century was FF to f3, ie 5 octaves. Though many instruments had only 4.5 but typically spanish harpsichords would have the 5 octaves. The modern keyboards with 61 keys dont have the same range.

S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
The range was pretty standard with some minor variations. Even the early sonatas of beethoven are still written for that exact range. Occasionally you would have extension to include f3 sharp or g3.

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Harpsichords could play lower notes than the keyboard would indicate. If the keyboard went down to C, the lowest C, C#, D, D# might be tuned A, B, C, D, or maybe C, A, D, B.

Soler was rather late in the harpsichord era, and at the royal chapel, so he probably had wider ranges available to him.

Semipro Tech
S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Sidokar
The maximum range of harpsichords in the 18th century was FF to f3, ie 5 octaves. Though many instruments had only 4.5 but typically spanish harpsichords would have the 5 octaves. The modern keyboards with 61 keys dont have the same range.

Just to be clear, the 61 keys you are referring to goes from C to c4. The 18th century 5 octaves harpsichord would also have 61 keys (as said some would have only 54 or 56 keys) but going a fifth below that , from FF to f3. Scarlatti , Haydn, Mozart, and young Beethoven would be composing in that same range. Occasionally some instruments would have a range from GG to g3.

You can take a look to a picture, for example this one,

https://images.app.goo.gl/7JfAf3uq6i5mtZsV7

S
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Sidokar
The range was pretty standard with some minor variations. Even the early sonatas of beethoven are still written for that exact range. Occasionally you would have extension to include f3 sharp or g3.

Also, a concert harpsichord would have 2 manuals and 4', 8', and sometimes 16' stops, extending the range.

S
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by MinscAndBoo
Is there any reason in particular you want a 61 key keyboard? You could get a 88 key keyboard, use the MIDI, send it to a DAW, then through a speaker. You theoretically would have hundreds of Harpsichord/Clavichord/Virginal sounds you could use.

A hammer weight action is not ideal for harpsichord.

B
BDB Offline
B
Digital keyboards are not ideal for harpsichord.

Semipro Tech
S
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
S
I don't disagree, but keyboards with hammer weight actions are far more problematic than semi-weighted synth-style or organ-style actions in digital keyboards. When harpsichord music is played on a harpsichord there is traditionally liberal use of ornamentation, much more than when it is played on piano. Playing lots of trills with fingers 4 and 5 of the RH while fingers 1, 2, and 3 are busy with an interior voice is significantly more difficult with a hammer-weight keyboard, and will increase the difficulty of many Baroque harpsichord pieces significantly.

S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Sweelinck
[

Also, a concert harpsichord would have 2 manuals and 4', 8', and sometimes 16' stops, extending the range.

The 16 foot register was extremely rare and only present in a few german instruments. Off the 12 instruments that the Queen Maria Barbara own only one had maybe a 16 foot register and we dont know that for sure. The 16 foot register required a much stronger frame, more difficult to build. In any case except Scarlatti who did go up to g3 very occasionally (63 keys), all baroque keyboard music can be played within 5 octaves or less. Bach in particular requires 56 keys from GG to d3. Thus it can be played with 8 and 4 foot registers, which were the common registers.

S
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
S
I agree that a 16' stop is unnecessary.

S
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
S
The Roland C-30 has the best harpsichord action for a digital harpsichord.

https://www.roland.com/us/products/c-30/

It was about $6000 new, and now that it is discontinued, it would be hard to find. Here is one at a retailer in India:

https://www.euphonycart.com/shop/roland-c-30-digital-harpsichord/

The price is in rupees and converts to $4070 today. I doubt it will be much cheaper on the used market in the US.

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Everett upright Regulation
by wenhen90 - 07/31/21 06:57 PM
Marx
by dolce sfogato - 07/31/21 04:05 PM
Self-teaching and looking for good exercises
by TORaptors2019 - 07/31/21 03:46 PM
ES110 Static/Buzzing on Certain Keys?
by mikechang503 - 07/31/21 02:40 PM
Music's greatest teacher
by pianoloverus - 07/31/21 02:22 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics208,310
Posts3,117,978
Members102,295
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission