2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
48 members (AprilE, 1957, ambrozy, Bostonmoores, danno858, 17 invisible), 1,395 guests, and 530 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
OP Offline
D
Hello All,

My apologies if this is a frequent thread topic but I would like some friendly advice on how to get started with Pianoteq. Over many years, I played digital pianos such as the Casio Privia and Yamaha digital pianos under $2,000. They were always hugely underwhelming to me. Then I started hearing many of these Youtubers use Pianoteq and started to realize how incredible this technology is compared to a standard digital piano.

Having said that, could someone kindly provide me with some basic advice on what I will need to play use Pianoteq through a set of headphones? I already have a pretty nice set of headphones and I have a Macbook Pro from 2013. But what else is necessary? Amps? Additional hardware? A keyboard (controller??) that is designed for playing via Pianoteq?

If you'd like, feel free to help me out and recommend a great quality controller or MIDI keyboard or whatever is the proper term for what I'll need. I could spend $1,000 to $2,000 or possibly slightly more if the little bit extra would provide a huge boost in value.

Thanks so much for your help!

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
The bare necessities are, in each category.

1. Computer. Macbook Pro ought to be good enough, though hard to tell unless you give us some specifications. What model of CPU (the exact full name, i.e. i7-8700) do you have?
  2. Controller. Any digital piano with the right connection ports. Either MIDI IN/OUT (think it's called DIN) or the newer USB to MIDI port, requires a simple printer cable. It doesn't need to have it's own piano voices, though you would possibly like to have them to not be independent on Pianoteq only, or any other piano library. The general rule, you get what you pay for, applies here, though you can get decent boards for under $1,000, like a Casio PX-160 or Kawai ES110 (hope I'm not misspelling the Kawai model). If you have a digital piano already, it might be good enough.
  3. Sound system. Your computer's audio card will do along with ASIO4ALL, though personally I'd recommend some audio interface.

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, NI Giant, Sampletekk White Grand, Choc. Audio Steinbach, and a few more. Kontakt 5. Reaper.
J
J
Hi dusty 1920.

I agree with TheodorN, except that you won’t need any additional drivers like ASIO4ALL with your Mac, macOS has good midi drivers. Macs also generally has good internal audio interfaces so you won’t need an external sound card just to play pianoteq. However, an external soundcard or a headphone amplifier can provide better amplification for your headphones.

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein
D
OP Offline
D
Thank you both for the info! My processor is "2.4 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5". Macbook Pro from late 2013. So hopefully that is fine. So it sounds like a just need a good controller and i'll be pretty much there.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
You're right johanibraaten, I know so little about Macs. Think I even read in these forums that possibly ASIO4ALL isn't even needed in Windows machines because of improved drivers, but dusty1920, you'll just need to test yourself forward.

Yes, otherwise you're probably all set. When you get the DP, and have no problems after installing Pianoteq, you're good to go. If not, you'll have to rethink your setup. It can take some work to get all the settings right, but just get back to us if you have any problems.

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, NI Giant, Sampletekk White Grand, Choc. Audio Steinbach, and a few more. Kontakt 5. Reaper.
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Pianoteq offers a free "demo" download. The software is "full-featured", except that a few notes don't work.

So you can install that on your Mac, and use its built-in, on-screen keyboard to "play" it, as a first step in "How do I make this work?"

If you get a keyboard with MIDI-over-USB, I think you can just use a "USB printer cable", from the keyboard's "MIDI to host" jack, to the Mac's USB port. (Most recent keyboards have that arrangement.)(If your Mac doesn't have USB ports, I have no suggestions, I live in the PC/Intel/Microsoft world).

If you get a keyboard (probably older) with "MIDI In" and "MIDI Out" jacks, with 5-pin DIN connectors, you'll need a "MIDI-to-USB adapter". I use an M-Audio "Uno" adapter, which is inexpensive and likely to work. There are more-expensive, and cheaper, options.

Since you're using headphones, you won't need loudspeakers or a power amp. If you're happy with your headphones plugged into the Mac, you shouldn't need a headphone amp, or a separate "USB audio interface".

If you don't have a MIDI keyboard, I concur that a Casio PX-150/PX-160 will work fine. So will any Yamaha with a GHS action -- P-45, P-105 / 115/ 125.
Any entry-level Kawai or Roland digital piano will also work.

This being a "digital piano" forum, I suggest getting a fully-weighted (= "hammer action"), 88-key keyboard. You can run Pianoteq from an unweighted (synth-action) keyboard, but you won't get the full benefits.

You'll have to decide on which Pianoteq version to get -- "Stage" (not too much adjustability), "Standard" (more adjustability), "PRO" (even more adjustability). I have "Stage", and it satisfies my needs.

There's a choice of piano models -- different parameterizations which more-or-less match different acoustic pianos. You can try them all out on the free demo, and decide which one(s) you like best, before actually buying anything.

It's fun -- don't get lost in the tall grass . . .

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by TheodorN
You're right johanibraaten, I know so little about Macs. Think I even read in these forums that possibly ASIO4ALL isn't even needed in Windows machines because of improved drivers, but dusty1920, you'll just need to test yourself forward.

Some softwares can use the audio driver with the Exclusive WASAPI mode which bypass the Windows software mixer and avoid important latency. With this mode, we can have low latency. Pianoteq is compatible with this mode.

Yamaha CLP150, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
J
J
FYI, I run a 2009 Mac Mini with 2.53GHz Core 2 Duo 8GB and Pianoteq runs fine at Perf Index 30+, so you don’t need to upgrade your computer.

You can also just connect the headphone directly to your laptop.

So all you need is a MIDI keyboard for now.

Just download the trial and to see if the performance and sound is acceptable to you.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dusty1920
I already have a pretty nice set of headphones and I have a Macbook Pro from 2013.

1. The only thing you really need is a keyboard, This is the usual entry level list:
Roland FP-10 or 30x, Yamaha P125, Casio PX-S1000 or 3000, Korg D1 or B2SP.

2. Your 2013 MacBook Pro will run Pianoteq fine, out-of-the-box. The internal Mac sound system is high enough quality that you don't need an audio interface. I have a MacBook Air 2013 with lower specs and it runs Pianoteq fine, even with advanced pieces; Performance Index is around 70-80, your MacBook Pro's Performance Index should be higher.

3. Optional Equipment:
- PA Speakers, Monitors or Amplifier
- Mixer
- Microphone

We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams.
Piano: Any console DP such as the Korg C1 or an old generation Yamaha CLP.

Speaker: Builtin DP speakers.

Computer: A mini box PC or a refurbished regular PC, preferably with a dedicated sound card.

Pianoteq + Korg C1.

I shall be "thankful" for this decent alternative to an upright piano. Hallelujah.
C
C
Originally Posted by JoeF
FYI, I run a 2009 Mac Mini with 2.53GHz Core 2 Duo 8GB and Pianoteq runs fine at Perf Index 30+, so you don’t need to upgrade your computer.

You can also just connect the headphone directly to your laptop.

So all you need is a MIDI keyboard for now.

Just download the trial and to see if the performance and sound is acceptable to you.
When I set to 64 buffer size and pedal down it overloads the cpu (3200 score) quite fast.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Dusty 1920!

I also use Macbook and I bought Creative Sound Blaster Play! 3. It is not expensive, and the sound is much better than the one on your Mac. You can just plug it in and connect your headphones. Do not download their control center though, it causes a delay.

If you are willing to spend up to $2000, and you would like to have a controller that is most like a piano, I would recommend you VPC1. It is the best there is!

[Linked Image]

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
If you've got a Macbook, ok. Use it but you need nothing like that. If you want a dedicated computer for the job, an 11 inch windows 10 will do that easily.

First of all, Pianoteq Standard (a free download is advisable first) is imo far superior and, yes. A game changer.
Pianoteq has recently improved out of all proportions and after some years I'm well happy with it.
You do not need to make huge adjustments, the secret is not to do so.
You'll find the sound is not like a Digital piano per se. It arguably possesses a greater affinity to an acoustic which some can't quite adjust to. Poor things, but it's still not an acoustic. In many ways it's better and getting better still as I type.
You can also play it on whatever piano has the necessary connections.

Necessary connections are:

Midi to host and "audio in" if you want to use the piano speakers for the output, usually from the computer headphone socket. AS104U is necessary for basic set ups as described.
That is it.
Pianoteq can be adjusted to get a very decent sound whatever speakers your piano uses, but the better the speakers the better the sound. And the more wires from external systems, the more problems you'll have.

Do not be swayed too much by others (including my) opinions. Pianoteq is a fun easy set-up which records everything you'll ever play.
The only problem is, it records what you play, not that which you wish you'd played.

You just can't have everything . . . . .but I was thinking of buying a Silent Acoustic!

Last edited by peterws; 06/13/21 10:17 AM.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
R
R
God, cant believe I am going down this rabbit hole,

Pete, are you saying you can record directly from Pianoteq and if so does it sound good and can you save your recordings in mp3.

I have been trying to learn reaper, but all I really need is something that will record the songs I play with sound I set up in the VST.

Ron

T
T
To get the best possible sound, shortest possible latency and continuous product supports / updates I would go for a USB audio interface. ASIO4All may work but it can be a hit or miss, especially after a system or software update on your computer.
For the keyboard I would choose either Kawai VPC-1 or if you want something newer MP11SE. Both have the action that is closest possible to a grand action so you wouldn't need too much time adapt back and forth when performing on an acoustic.
As for the computer running Pianoteq you can use a Raspberry PI 4 (4GB) as described here by Navindra:
http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/printthread/Board/6/main/203519/type/thread.html
I've just set it up yesterday and it works just as described. Cost involved was less then $100!

Last edited by TonyDIGITAL; 06/13/21 11:22 AM.

[Kawai VPC1 / ES100 - VSTs: VSL 280VC, Garritan CFX, Pianoteq 7 Standard & VI Labs Ravenscroft 275 - Ableton Live - Presonus iOne / iTwo - Sennheiser HD700/6xx - Presonus E5+T10, iloud micro monitors]
Ron,

Pianoteq automagically saves all the MIDI information it receives from its input source (i.e. your MIDI controller) as you play; it requires no setup or intervention of any kind from you.

I don't know exactly how it determines when to end each block of input data/playing (60 seconds of silence, perhaps?), but it also automagically breaks the input up into segments, and gives each a name, like "304 notes played in 3 minutes", and displays them in a drop-down list. When you select a segment from the list, you can play it back, or you can save it to a file. The file can be a WAV, FLAC or MP3. If you choose WAV, you have some control over sample rate and bit depth.

You also have minimal editing abilities, like deleting notes up to the current point, or after the current point. I believe you can also save the entire contents of your "playlist" to a single file.

I can't say I've made much use of this recording feature, other than to play back some segments (just to remind myself how completely lousy I am), so there may be additional aspects of this that I'm not yet aware of.

Hope this helps! smile

"I think it's the excitement only a free man can feel; a free man at the start of a long journey, whose conclusion is uncertain." -- Morgan Freeman's character, "Red", in The Shawshank Redemption
C
C
Originally Posted by TonyDIGITAL
To get the best possible sound, shortest possible latency and continuous product supports / updates I would go for a USB audio interface. ASIO4All may work but it can be a hit or miss, especially after a system or software update on your computer.
For the keyboard I would choose either Kawai VPC-1 or if you want something newer MP11SE. Both have the action that is closest possible to a grand action so you wouldn't need too much time adapt back and forth when performing on an acoustic.
As for the computer running Pianoteq you can use a Raspberry PI 4 (4GB) as described here by Navindra:
http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/printthread/Board/6/main/203519/type/thread.html
I've just set it up yesterday and it works just as described. Cost involved was less then $100!
Toe Focusrite Scarlett works. Behringer is a scam.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ronlefebvre

Pete, are you saying you can record directly from Pianoteq and if so does it sound good and can you save your recordings in mp3.

I have been trying to learn reaper, but all I really need is something that will record the songs I play with sound I set up in the VST.

Ron

It is as you say. Wav, Flac or mp3
All sounds good to me . . . .

Last edited by peterws; 06/13/21 12:49 PM.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ronlefebvre

Ron

Ron, it will sound exactly like it sounded when you played it.

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
Originally Posted by Animisha
Ron, it will sound exactly like it sounded when you played it.

Actually, Animisha, I believe it will sound like the same notes, but played through the currently-selected instrument/preset combination. Isn't that right?

I mean, PTQ stores the MIDI data for the notes played, not the sounds themselves. So when you tell PTQ to create the WAV or MP3, it has to "play" the notes through whatever instrument preset you're currently using, no?

"I think it's the excitement only a free man can feel; a free man at the start of a long journey, whose conclusion is uncertain." -- Morgan Freeman's character, "Red", in The Shawshank Redemption
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Everett upright Regulation
by wenhen90 - 07/31/21 06:57 PM
Marx
by dolce sfogato - 07/31/21 04:05 PM
Self-teaching and looking for good exercises
by TORaptors2019 - 07/31/21 03:46 PM
ES110 Static/Buzzing on Certain Keys?
by mikechang503 - 07/31/21 02:40 PM
Music's greatest teacher
by pianoloverus - 07/31/21 02:22 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics208,310
Posts3,117,981
Members102,295
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission